ADVERTISEMENT

There’s a chance

I took a look at the report from the latest council meeting to see if anything in the report might apply to Kerk's situation. I found proposal 2019-66 interesting. Note the proposal was adopted and is effective immediately. Here's the link to the report if anyone is interested in checking it out. https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/committees/d1/council/Jan2020D1Council_Report.pdf

2 comments:

1) I read it 3 times. I am not an attorney, but it seems quite relevant and interesting. Maybe I should read it a 4th time.

2) You must have a lot of free time on your hands. Hard to believe between the weight training and movies, who has time to read? You are the Rock indeed!

Last edited:
2 comments:

1) I read it 3 times. I am not an attorney, but it seems quite relevant and interesting. Maybe I should read it a 4th time.

2) You must have a lot of free time on your hands. Hard to believe between the weight training and movies, who has time to read? You are the Rock indeed!

I don't think this particular provision is on point. Perhaps Kerk was unable to complete his term/ semester at OSU but what final tryout or official recognized training program did he compete/ participate in the directly qualifies him for the Olympics? Only winning OTTs directly does that, assuming the weight is qualified. So unless I'm misconstruing the intent detailed, I think this a different situation, i.e., has he satisfied the academic reqs for eligibility since OSU granted his release and the big ten apparently has grabted his waiver. JMO

Last edited:
I don't think this particular provision is on point. Perhaps Kerk was unable to complete his term/ semester at OSU but what final tryout or official recognized training program did he compete/ participate in the directly qualifies him for the Olympic tryouts? Only winning OTTs directly does that, assuming the weight is qualified. So unless I'm misconstruing the intent detailed, I think this a different situation, i.e., has he satisfied the academic reqs for eligibility since OSU granted his release and the big ten apparently has grabted his waiver. JMO
You missed the word tryouts. (b) International Competition. The credit hours required under the progress-toward-degree regulation of Bylaws 14.4.3.1 and 14.4.3.6-(c) may be prorated at nine hours per term of actual attendance during an academic year in which a student is not enrolled for a term or terms or is unable to complete a term as a full-time student as a result of participation in the Pan American Games, Olympic Games, World Championships, World Cup, FIFA U-20 World Cup, World University Games (Universiade) or World University Championships (including final Olympic tryouts and the officially recognized training program that directly qualifies participants for those tryouts). This waiver provision may be applied to not more than two semesters or three quarters. Credits earned by the student during the term or terms to which the waiver applies may be used to satisfy the 24-/36-hour [see Bylaw 14.4.3.1-(a)], percentage-of-degree (see Bylaw 14.4.3.2) and grade-point average requirements

You missed the word tryouts. (b) International Competition. The credit hours required under the progress-toward-degree regulation of Bylaws 14.4.3.1 and 14.4.3.6-(c) may be prorated at nine hours per term of actual attendance during an academic year in which a student is not enrolled for a term or terms or is unable to complete a term as a full-time student as a result of participation in the Pan American Games, Olympic Games, World Championships, World Cup, FIFA U-20 World Cup, World University Games (Universiade) or World University Championships (including final Olympic tryouts and the officially recognized training program that directly qualifies participants for those tryouts). This waiver provision may be applied to not more than two semesters or three quarters. Credits earned by the student during the term or terms to which the waiver applies may be used to satisfy the 24-/36-hour [see Bylaw 14.4.3.1-(a)], percentage-of-degree (see Bylaw 14.4.3.2) and grade-point average requirements
I touched on tryout - 2 words before you started quoting my post in bold. What's the tryout though? Senior Nationals? General participation at a RTC? Maybe U23s are subsumed in the World Championships quoted in the link you provided. I don't know but the plain text of the provision you cited doesn't seem directly on point. Admittedly, I have zero contextual knowledge regarding NCAA regulations outside of what you provided.

I touched on tryout - 2 words before you started quoting my post in bold. What's the tryout though? Senior Nationals? General participation at a RTC? Maybe U23s are subsumed in the World Championships quoted in the link you provided. I don't know but the plain text of the provision you cited doesn't seem directly on point. Admittedly, I have zero contextual knowledge regarding NCAA regulations outside of what you provided.
You said, "what final tryout or official recognized training program did he compete/ participate in that directly qualifies him for the Olympics?" What I'm saying is "what final tryout or official recognized training program did he compete/ participate in that directly qualifies him for the Olympic tryouts?" And yes I believe the answer would be Senior Nationals.

Again, I only said that I found this interesting. I have no idea what was submitted to the NCAA, if in fact a waiver was submitted.

The people who give me my info don't post articles. Not asking you to believe me just passing along the info I have been given. Feel like I have earned peoples trust around here.
giphy.gif

Again, I only said that I found this interesting. I have no idea what was submitted to the NCAA, if in fact a waiver was submitted.
Yeah, sorry, I'm not trying to be combative. Just putting my read out there. Certainly seem to be arguments to be made for the applicability of what you cited. Thanks for putting it out there - good find

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwayne_Johnson33
There is no such thing as recruiting over anyone. It’s a made up thing by HR because they cannot stand that Cael Sanderson has been destroying them for a decade. They harp on it because they are deranged. Seth can wrestle at the B1G tournament if he wants. The only person who would stop him is Greg. If Seth beats him in a wrestle off then he is the starter. They can bring in a hundred guys at HWT and if Seth is the best he will go.

There is no such thing as recruiting over anyone. It’s a made up thing by HR because they cannot stand that Cael Sanderson has been destroying them for a decade. They harp on it because they are deranged. Seth can wrestle at the B1G tournament if he wants. The only person who would stop him is Greg. If Seth beats him in a wrestle off then he is the starter. They can bring in a hundred guys at HWT and if Seth is the best he will go.
Rationally speaking, you're spot on. But emotion is a different thing. It would be easy to feel betrayed in this situation, even if if you weren't. As a fan of Seth's (and Nick's, and AJ's), I can empathize with that.

Rationally speaking, you're spot on. But emotion is a different thing. It would be easy to feel betrayed in this situation, even if if you weren't. As a fan of Seth's (and Nick's, and AJ's), I can empathize with that.

The beauty of wrestling is that you get what you earn. It’s one on one. The best guy goes. Wrestlers know that. I doubt a single guy on the team believes his spot is guaranteed. I say that especially for PSU. Guys know coming in to this program what the room is like. It’s why kids want to come to PSU. They know that if they want to start here it’s not going to be easy.

People complain about kids being “recruited over” because they are simply jealous that one program is out recruiting them. That’s really all it is. The only thing stopping any kid on the roster from starting is the ability to win.

Not necessarily. If you go with the paper rankings, Iowa has about a 25 point lead on PSU for NCAA projections. Put Kerk in the lineup and say he finishes 3rd, that is 13.5 points, cuts the difference in half. Get an unexpected positive performance from PSU or someone stumbles for Iowa and the team race is very tight. Huge pressure on Iowa to win it this year, get that margin close, that pressure could come into pay, especially with their already very tight coaching staff and guy at 133.
You got it, Brooks just got a big point bump, with the DQ of V. could make it interesting.

The beauty of wrestling is that you get what you earn. It’s one on one. The best guy goes. Wrestlers know that. I doubt a single guy on the team believes his spot is guaranteed. I say that especially for PSU. Guys know coming in to this program what the room is like. It’s why kids want to come to PSU. They know that if they want to start here it’s not going to be easy.

People complain about kids being “recruited over” because they are simply jealous that one program is out recruiting them. That’s really all it is. The only thing stopping any kid on the roster from starting is the ability to win.
I don’t try very hard, but I just don’t care what “people” complain about very much these days. Makes me a happier person, lol.

Did Paul Glynn get recruited over? What about Turk/Glosser? Both look like they could AA at 149 this year. How about Cash Wilcke? Kid put 3 years as a starter and this was his year to AA finally.

No? TnT was just trying to improve their team? Wow, almost like they're doing their job as wrestling Coaches.

Did Paul Glynn get recruited over? What about Turk/Glosser? Both look like they could AA at 149 this year. Hdow about Cash Wilcke? Kid put 3 years as a starter and this was his year to AA finally.

No? TnT was just trying to improve their team? Wow, almost like they're doing their job as wrestling Coaches.

Wilcke didn’t even wrestle on Senior Day in a match where they didn’t need a win at 184. Next year Murin will likely lose his spot to Eierman. It’s a big boy sport and like you said, the coaches are being paid to win.

I don’t try very hard, but I just don’t care what “people” complain about very much these days. Makes me a happier person, lol.

Same here. The lunatics on HR who complain really aren’t complaining about Cael to begin with. It’s not really about him. It’s really about the Iowa program’s inability to beat Cael, or really to consistently beat him. They are upset about their own program so they direct that frustration towards PSU and our fans because their program isn’t winning the way it used to. It’s the Simpson’s principal meme. Is Iowa the problem? No, PSU is the problem. They cheat. They pay their guys from a slush fund. Cael is a horrible person who wins because he deceives kids. Cael can’t coach. He only wins because he recruits national champions. And so on and so forth.

The only time they look at their own program as being the reason they aren’t winning is for two weeks after the NCAA tournament when they don’t win. That’s when they have honest moments. And then it’s right back to predicting Iowa’s year will be next year and Cael is a lousy cheat who breaks every rule and Tom and Terry are the best coaches who always do everything the right way.

It honestly doesn’t matter if Kerk goes in the post season or not. Either way deranged fans will claim Cael Sanderson is a scumbag because he did or didn’t wrestle.

Same here. The lunatics on HR who complain really aren’t complaining about Cael to begin with. It’s not really about him. It’s really about the Iowa program’s inability to beat Cael, or really to consistently beat him. They are upset about their own program so they direct that frustration towards PSU and our fans because their program isn’t winning the way it used to. It’s the Simpson’s principal meme. Is Iowa the problem? No, PSU is the problem. They cheat. They pay their guys from a slush fund. Cael is a horrible person who wins because he deceives kids. Cael can’t coach. He only wins because he recruits national champions. And so on and so forth.

The only time they look at their own program as being the reason they aren’t winning is for two weeks after the NCAA tournament when they don’t win. That’s when they have honest moments. And then it’s right back to predicting Iowa’s year will be next year and Cael is a lousy cheat who breaks every rule and Tom and Terry are the best coaches who always do everything the right way.

It honestly doesn’t matter if Kerk goes in the post season or not. Either way deranged fans will claim Cael Sanderson is a scumbag because he did or didn’t wrestle.
As a fan base, after reading/hearing for years about the Brands' twins -- the hateful, mean-spirited name-calling and pot shots from OUR fans, I find this a bit of pot-calling-the-kettle-black.

Let 'em talk. We have Cael & Co., great wrestlers, a supportive administration, and a (mostly) top-drawer fan base. That's all I care about, not one iota about what's said outside "the family".

As a fan base, after reading/hearing for years about the Brands' twins -- the hateful, mean-spirited name-calling and pot shots from OUR fans, I find this a bit of pot-calling-the-kettle-black.

Let 'em talk. We have Cael & Co., great wrestlers, a supportive administration, and a (mostly) top-drawer fan base. That's all I care about, not one iota about what's said outside "the family".

I don’t have a problem with the Brands. Or any other coach for that matter. I think the Brands brothers are fantastic coaches. I like Tom Ryan, too. I find Tom Brand’s interviews to be refreshing. I think Iowa fans are frustrated because they are used to being the team PSU is currently and instead of being honest with themselves and the state of their own program they direct their frustration at us.

You tell 'em Roar....umm, Godfather.

That was one of the best summaries of HR that I have ever read. They have some good posters there, but they get overwhelmed by the haters.

Making pot shots at coaches is fair game in my book. Not that anyone cares.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT