ADVERTISEMENT

The more I see how well Jahan Dotson does everytime he’s inserted in the game

I am sure you all realize that Joe showed the very same allegiance to upperclassmen. Sometimes the right philosophy doesn’t win quite as many games but it is the more ethical thing to do . Joe still did alright. :)

Everybody got aggravated as hell over Joe, because he'd always play the average 5th year senior over the significantly-more-talented underclassmen. Always. Remember McQueary? Nobody wanted him to start, except for Joe.

Damn. Wish he'd transferred.

Everybody got aggravated as hell over Joe, because he'd always play the average 5th year senior over the significantly-more-talented underclassmen. Always. Remember McQueary? Nobody wanted him to start, except for Joe.

Damn. Wish he'd transferred.
One of the most difficult responsibilities of a HC....one rarely considered here or anywhere actually, is having harmony and cohesiveness in the locker room. They are not dealing with computer components. Many factors are in play.

Last edited:
You can’t just bench returning starters because they are struggling for a couple games. You need to give them an opportunity to get going. Add to that the issues with freshman getting acclimated and you have our WR situation.

Joe always said he would rather play young players too late rather than too early
You really need to stop using logic. lt just gets in the way of our OUTRAGE!

I can't believe it took Saban until the 2nd half of the 14th game of the season to put in Tua. He should have been fired, after all it was clear to all message board posters he was superior to Hurts all season based on the practice reports!

I don't think you got the point of that. I don't follow Alabama practice reports. Perhaps you did. The point was, Hurts had struggled to throw for two years by that point. Excellent runner, and surrounded by NFL talent, he had only lost 2 games. To pull him in the second half of a national title game is exponentially huge, particularly when the back up is a true freshman.

The closest example we might have had this year would have been putting Levis in at QB for the second half against Michigan.

You really need to stop using logic. lt just gets in the way of our OUTRAGE!

It isn't illogical to request less snaps for two specific players (Polk, Farmer) who clearly are not playing well. Polk has more drops than receptions. Farmer possibly has more whiffs than actual credited tackles. A lot of posters here remember Polk as a true freshman. He had a couple of catches and ran the Jet Sweep well. It seems everyone has been waiting on him to play like that and it hasn't occurred. Did he log a snap yesterday? I don't remember it.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
The more pissed I get at the staff for taking so long to notice this. Especially after he had the best pre-season camp of any of the WR’s and double especially because of the horrendous play of everyone ahead of him not named Hamler.

Our staff is, uh, a bit slow to catch on to what is obvious to us "armchair" coaches, lol.

You can’t just bench returning starters because they are struggling for a couple games. You need to give them an opportunity to get going. Add to that the issues with freshman getting acclimated and you have our WR situation.

Joe always said he would rather play young players too late rather than too early

No, you don't, just ask Urby or Satan about that.

The list of coaches who do everything better than ours is too long to fit in this thread.

Great. PSU only needs to petition the B10 to be able to play with 15 guys on the field.

That might make 1/2 of the fans happy.

This could work!!!! :eek:
Great. PSU only needs to petition the B10 to be able to play with 15 guys on the field.

That might make 1/2 of the fans happy.

This could work!!!! :eek:
Please don’t say that. OSU and MU hear about it and petition Delaney, and you know damn well that they would receive the green light.

and may I add.....if any of them make a mistake...it is evidence of piss poor coaching. Fire everyone! We have talent and all other teams show up on Saturdays to simply be our patsy.
We would have much more success if the other schools just stopped awarding scholarships.

Reactions: marshall23
I think CJF wanted to red shirt the kids if he could and he wanted to give the veterans a chance to salvage their seasons. The problems they've had hasn't been for lack of talent, but lack of concentration and poise. They played tight.

The more pissed I get at the staff for taking so long to notice this. Especially after he had the best pre-season camp of any of the WR’s and double especially because of the horrendous play of everyone ahead of him not named Hamler.

In 3 years if Hamler and Dotson have a couple bad games will you bench them?

Couple? Polk has 1 good game to his credit this year: 4th down catch in game 1. Additionally, he's small and ineffective as a blocker. I'm all for supporting players. I get that. However, there is nothing wrong with thinking that OSU or Sparty could have been different if Dotson was given a chance. In fact, we know it couldn't have been worse: we lost.

Reactions: JJTopp99

Actually yes, this isn't little league and if you have that many games in a row with crucial drops....you need to sit and maybe it will spark something. Everyone has drops, but consistently doing it in years 3 and 4 is pretty bad. Mike G got over his after 2 years. Bryan Johnson was the same way early on in his career. Most people get that, but these guys are missing routine passes and simply costing the team at times.

Actually yes, this isn't little league and if you have that many games in a row with crucial drops....you need to sit and maybe it will spark something. Everyone has drops, but consistently doing it in years 3 and 4 is pretty bad. Mike G got over his after 2 years. Bryan Johnson was the same way early on in his career. Most people get that, but these guys are missing routine passes and simply costing the team at times.

Ironically, support from Mike G might have been counterproductive. While it was probably good for the players to hear it, Franklin may have been lead to be overly patient. This year there have been some really good alternatives that were not available in the past.

Ironically, support from Mike G might have been counterproductive. While it was probably good for the players to hear it, Franklin may have been lead to be overly patient. This year there have been some really good alternatives that were not available in the past.
Exactly...it's now pretty much sh!t or get off the pot time as each year he is bringing in talented kids and the cream will rise. Competition makes the team better. This thread is idiotic because it assumes on day 1 or week 2 that Dotson was ready to play. The physical and mental transition do take some time and even more so for guys that were not EE's and weigh about 170 if they are lucky. Hamler and Dotson will break some ankles the next few years.

Reactions: royboy
Couple? Polk has 1 good game to his credit this year: 4th down catch in game 1. Additionally, he's small and ineffective as a blocker. I'm all for supporting players. I get that. However, there is nothing wrong with thinking that OSU or Sparty could have been different if Dotson was given a chance. In fact, we know it couldn't have been worse: we lost.

Everyone is an an expert after the fact. Why didn't you post BEFORE the games? The games could have been worse.

Is there any OL or DL backups who should have started those games? Could not have been worse according to you.

Here's another "Franklin" that baffles me. He has shown tremendous patience with upperclassmen receivers dropping the ball, but an underclassman fumble after taking a direct helmet to the ball is intolerable.

Mike G took two years. Would you have given someone else a shot and benched Mike G?

MIke G also should have taken a redshirt which would have given him an opportunity to have a very productive 5th year.

Mike G is the blueprint of why freshman should redshirt.

Mike G took two years. Would you have given someone else a shot and benched Mike G?

MIke G also should have taken a redshirt which would have given him an opportunity to have a very productive 5th year.

And you should take into account the impact of sanctions on the PSU roster at that time.

Everyone is an an expert after the fact. Why didn't you post BEFORE the games? The games could have been worse.

Is there any OL or DL backups who should have started those games? Could not have been worse according to you.

Go back and check. I'm pretty sure I mentioned we should explore options outside of Polk in other threads. It isn't a personal thing. The fact is, I've watched CSB, Hippenhammer, Dotson, and now Shorter come in and catch what was thrown to them. Dotson in particular looks polished in comparison. At some point, 3 drops per game has to mean something. Slade fumbles once and it took him a month to sniff the field again.

At DL, we basically have exhausted our options. Mustipher has been getting snaps all year. OL, Thorpe and Miranda have not looked bad in minimal relief, but Thorpe was moved and Miranda doesn't play OT.

Here's another "Franklin" that baffles me. He has shown tremendous patience with upperclassmen receivers dropping the ball, but an underclassman fumble after taking a direct helmet to the ball is intolerable.

Mike G was a frosh and soph so he had time to improve, but also came during the sanction years. These guys are 4th and 5th year guys....sorry, but this isn't little league. Sorry if your a parent of one of the kids, but you either produce or you don't. If you don't, you will lose your job. Coaches know this as well as they like getting paid 4-5 million a year and want to keep those jobs. It's no accident Pat F jumped up the charts over guys senior to him. Welcome to 2018 where redshirts aren't what they were 20 years ago. The kids that are ready to play will play. Even more so with the free 4 game pass they just gave to coaches. Mike G also came in and was forced to play during some dark times. Pat F has guys older than him that he outperformed. Being an upperclassmen doesn't mean you are better...sorry this is news to you.

Our staff is, uh, a bit slow to catch on to what is obvious to us "armchair" coaches, lol.

Yep, if we all watched all the practices and had the same info that the staff does, the only thing separating their and our opinions would be the fact that they have been doing their work full time for their whole professional careers versus most here just being professional B.S.'ers......

Go back and check. I'm pretty sure I mentioned we should explore options outside of Polk in other threads. It isn't a personal thing. The fact is, I've watched CSB, Hippenhammer, Dotson, and now Shorter come in and catch what was thrown to them. Dotson in particular looks polished in comparison. At some point, 3 drops per game has to mean something. Slade fumbles once and it took him a month to sniff the field again.

At DL, we basically have exhausted our options. Mustipher has been getting snaps all year. OL, Thorpe and Miranda have not looked bad in minimal relief, but Thorpe was moved and Miranda doesn't play OT.

All AFTER the fact.

Which freshman should start next year ahead of seniors who currently start?

All AFTER the fact.

If any WR drops 10 passes in the first 5 games, I'll gladly state now that George or Shorter or Dunmore or Simmons ought to get a look.

Wouldn't you?

All AFTER the fact.

Correct and there is a reason why Hamler started this year as a RS frosh even though people were senior to him. There is a reason Dotson is playing now more and actually started this weekend. Is your point that once you get to your 3rd or 4th year, you're not allowed to be passed over? That isn't how it works anywhere anymore. Seniority doesn't mean you keep your job.

Last edited:
Why is Hamler listed as a sophomore with freshman eligibility on the roster?
He did shirt last year as he was still recovering from his injury. He still jumped over people senior to him to start this year. I just phrased it wrong as he did shirt last year, but as a RS frosh he was a starter from day 1 and the best of the bunch out there in terms of play making.

How do you explain a freshman starting at TE over upperclassmen?

none of the other TEs had played at all prior to this season, but Holland was seeing time as well in the first few games (an equal amount to 87 IIRC). it was just clear as day that Pat F was much better as the season progressed

also, in that previous post, i was specifically referring to Polk and Farmer

none of the other TEs had played at all prior to this season, but Holland was seeing time as well in the first few games (an equal amount to 87 IIRC). it was just clear as day that Pat F was much better as the season progressed

So he is not always loyal to seniors?

What happens when it is not clear as day?

So he is not always loyal to seniors?

Don't think any of the TEs are seniors.

Don't think any of the TEs are seniors.

Does not change the point. He is starting a FRESHMAN. They will all be seniors at some point. Do you think the depth chart will change based on who is a senior? Plenty of seniors on the roster at other positions who are not first string.

You are assuming that Slade wasn't getting PT due to "a fumble".

No. I'm basing the perception from sideline reaction (to what I remember was a helmet-on-ball hit) and a subsequent drop off in participation in the same game. Wish I could remember more beyond this, but my memory isn't that good.

A lot of fumbles are tough to prevent even when there is good technique, but this doesn't get reflected in the reaction and statistics.

I thought Franklin was equally hard on Sanders before he became the starter, but has shown extreme tolerance for starters who drop passes.

Reactions: djr4rebs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT