ADVERTISEMENT

The more I see how well Jahan Dotson does everytime he’s inserted in the game

The more pissed I get at the staff for taking so long to notice this. Especially after he had the best pre-season camp of any of the WR’s and double especially because of the horrendous play of everyone ahead of him not named Hamler.
Have you considered the possibility that Dotson wasn’t doing all of these things as well in the beginning of the season? Can you imagine a scenario where a returning veteran may know more of the nuances of being a WR in this offense than someone who hadn’t played a game yet? These are obviously rhetorical questions, obviously you cant think of these things...

Have you considered the possibility that Dotson wasn’t doing all of these things as well in the beginning of the season? Can you imagine a scenario where a returning veteran may know more of the nuances of being a WR in this offense than someone who hadn’t played a game yet? These are obviously rhetorical questions, obviously you cant think of these things...
Let’s keep giving all the snaps to the upperclassmen in what might be the most underperforming unit in the country

We are not a football factory. If you look at the handling of certain players (Farmer, Polk), it's obvious that relationship and seniority mean something at PSU. For better or for worse, it is the reality. If you watched how Dotson blocks (compare his block on a WR screen to Hamler vs the one Shorter give and you can see why he has seen the field quicker), how he catches with his hands, how he reacts to the ball in the air, it's obvious that he is a talented kid. He didn't just come on in two weeks. He was promoted, finally, once our season was tanked as far as NY6 goes. Polk has more drops than receptions, and hasn't blocked anybody.

Look at Parsons. He's our leading tackler and he has been regulated to 2nd tier snaps behind our least effective LB. He isn't perfect. He hits the wrong gap, he has missed tackles. Yet, he never stops. He gets back into plays.

The best comparison I can give, and I have two:

1) does a Franklin-coached Bama pull Hurts for Tua in last year's title game?
2) does a Franklin-coached Clemson promote Trevor Lawrence over Bryant because he knows to win a national title, you have to have a great passing QB?

Dotson appears to be the missing piece of the puzzle in this year’s receiving corps.
He is a guy who will probably get us quite a few first downs.

Reactions: BBrown
We are not a football factory. If you look at the handling of certain players (Farmer, Polk), it's obvious that relationship and seniority mean something at PSU. For better or for worse, it is the reality. If you watched how Dotson blocks (compare his block on a WR screen to Hamler vs the one Shorter give and you can see why he has seen the field quicker), how he catches with his hands, how he reacts to the ball in the air, it's obvious that he is a talented kid. He didn't just come on in two weeks. He was promoted, finally, once our season was tanked as far as NY6 goes. Polk has more drops than receptions, and hasn't blocked anybody.

Look at Parsons. He's our leading tackler and he has been regulated to 2nd tier snaps behind our least effective LB. He isn't perfect. He hits the wrong gap, he has missed tackles. Yet, he never stops. He gets back into plays.

2) does a Franklin-coached Clemson promote Trevor Lawrence over Bryant because he knows to win a national title, you have to have a great passing QB?
It seemed like Parsons’ snaps far surpassed Farmer’s today. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the defense played so well once Parsons replaced Farmer full time early in the game.

It seemed like Parsons’ snaps far surpassed Farmer’s today. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the defense played so well once Parsons replaced Farmer full time early in the game.

At one point, Parsons was in and Farmer was subbing for Cam Brown. Parsons dominated the snaps today.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

There is no way to know what Franklin would do in the circumstances. Pulling Farmer and Polk isn’t anything like those situations. We are not playing for a championship and it’s not the quarterback being replaced by guys who will likely be Top 5 draft picks

He was getting rave reviews all camp.

Franklin played his loyal seniors... and it bit him in the ass

If only coaches had the wisdom of fans. What do coaches do hour after hour? I guess they just go in their offices and jerk off during practice?

ps seriously asking..... have not attended a PSU Practice since 2010 is that what our coaches do during practice now?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
How many remaining games of eligibility do Dotson and Shorter have without burning their red shirts? 2 each?

If only coaches had the wisdom of fans. What do coaches do hour after hour? I guess they just go in their offices and jerk off during practice.
Well, given how they finally did much of what the know-nothing fans have been screaming at them to do for weeks, I have to think the coaches race back to their computers to review what we have to say and then try to figure out how to make it work. At long last they got Hamler more touches, #24 more touches, Dotson into the game and more touches... #11 and #13 both in much earlier. Next week, who knows.. they might let TS do more than run, might start #11... hey, a little more tweaking and they'll be just fine... :) But no worries, we work for free and are always ready to help the coaches figure stuff out... :)

I only disagree with the part of this concerning Shorter. I believe it took him longer to see the field because he was banged up during camp and early in the season.

Franklin didn’t have any issue with playing Feyermuth (spelling?) over older players.

As I mentioned with Shorter, Friermuth's situation was different. All three upperclass TE's had varying degrees of injuries early on. Once Friermuth started showing what he could do, none of them was going to supplant him as the starter.

Well, given how they finally did much of what the know-nothing fans have been screaming at them to do for weeks, I have to think the coaches race back to their computers to review what we have to say and then try to figure out how to make it work. At long last they got Hamler more touches, #24 more touches, Dotson into the game and more touches... #11 and #13 both in much earlier. Next week, who knows.. they might let TS do more than run, might start #11... hey, a little more tweaking and they'll be just fine... :) But no worries, we work for free and are always ready to help the coaches figure stuff out... :)

Same fans that wanted to hire golden. Same fans thought the starting Wrs would b e great.

Reactions: JoeFi
Yep, I'll bet that's what they do.

I am sure you all realize that Joe showed the very same allegiance to upperclassmen. Sometimes the right philosophy doesn’t win quite as many games but it is the more ethical thing to do . Joe still did alright. :)

Actually the staff has been super high on him from the start going back to August according to many inside reports. The problem is the dumb video game posters who think every frosh is a polished total player in September versus November. They think the frosh are developed on play 1 of day 1. They don’t take into account any learning curve.

The more pissed I get at the staff for taking so long to notice this. Especially after he had the best pre-season camp of any of the WR’s and double especially because of the horrendous play of everyone ahead of him not named Hamler.

Maybe, just maybe the true freshman WR needed a some time to acclimate himself to college and playing FBS football.
Lets just be glad that the staff was good enough to recruit this talent and then
seeing that it was time to use him.

Reactions: krichards
Franklin didn’t have any issue with playing Feyermuth (spelling?) over older players.

True but then the situations at TE and WR were polar opposites.
We had 2 TE's that no one knew what the health situation was with Bowers or
which doghouse Holland would land in or get out of.
None of us could have predicted that both JJ and Thompkins would would go MIA for games at a time.
Lets just be happy that we have the young talent at both positions to make up for the drop off and the staff getting them ready to contribute.

Actually the staff has been super high on him from the start going back to August according to many inside reports. The problem is the dumb video game posters who think every frosh is a polished total player in September versus November. They think the frosh are developed on play 1 of day 1. They don’t take into account any learning curve.

+100. And maybe it just wasn't a learning curve for Football.
I think some of these posters, if they ever went to college, forgot what it was like land in University Park and not be the big fish in the small pond with everyone, including your parents doing things for you. Now its up to you and just you (Ok they do have some help from the football staff but still) I'm willing to bet my mortgage this month that the learning curve for college itself is greater than the learning curve for football.

I only disagree with the part of this concerning Shorter. I believe it took him longer to see the field because he was banged up during camp and early in the season.
Speaking of Shorter...FIRST CAREER RECEPTION!!!

I think part of the issue with the freshman not playing is their limited exposure to the playbook, especially if they didn’t enroll early

How many remaining games of eligibility do Dotson and Shorter have without burning their red shirts? 2 each?
Shorter has 2 more. He will likely skip one of the next 2 and play in the bowl game. Dotson has played 4 I believe. Next 1 and he has used a year and I believe Franklin said he was going to play the rest of the year anyways so he isn’t redshirting.

You can’t just bench returning starters because they are struggling for a couple games. You need to give them an opportunity to get going. Add to that the issues with freshman getting acclimated and you have our WR situation.

Joe always said he would rather play young players too late rather than too early

Maybe, just maybe the true freshman WR needed a some time to acclimate himself to college and playing FBS football.
Lets just be glad that the staff was good enough to recruit this talent and then
seeing that it was time to use him.
Yeah, blocking can be a big issue, both knowing those responsibilities and being strong enough to handle the assignments. I suspect Dotson will be an even better overall receiver as he gains some weight, strength, and experience.

Shorter has 2 more. He will likely skip one of the next 2 and play in the bowl game. Dotson has played 4 I believe. Next 1 and he has used a year and I believe Franklin said he was going to play the rest of the year anyways so he isn’t redshirting.

I thought this was Dotson's 5th game and Franklin already said his shirt would be gone.

Dotson is not going to redshirt.
I thought this was Dotson's 5th game and Franklin already said his shirt would be gone.
Correct

Reactions: N&B4PSU

I can't believe it took Saban until the 2nd half of the 14th game of the season to put in Tua. He should have been fired, after all it was clear to all message board posters he was superior to Hurts all season based on the practice reports!

I'd like to see more of everybody.......and they should all start.
and may I add.....if any of them make a mistake...it is evidence of piss poor coaching. Fire everyone! We have talent and all other teams show up on Saturdays to simply be our patsy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT