ADVERTISEMENT

The ACC would welcome Penn State with open arms.....

Yeah, like by 85%.....overnight.....for PSU to break even.

What does the 'tv money' look like going forward with fewer homes relying on cable and a conference that wouldn't include Penn State (I know it's a unlikely, but hypothetically). With fewer homes subscribing to traditional cable providers, the money then comes from streaming subscriptions/packages, right?

What does the 'tv money' look like going forward with fewer homes relying on cable and a conference that wouldn't include Penn State (I know it's a unlikely, but hypothetically). With fewer homes subscribing to traditional cable providers, the money then comes from streaming subscriptions/packages, right?

Don't know and can't begin to guess. If the traditional cable model becomes less of a factor, the impact cuts across all conferences.

Penn State is an Eastern school. I loved what JoePa did for Penn State as much as anybody; BUT the one thing I didn't like was his getting Penn State into the B1G conference. Now with the Covid-19 and the cancellation of the 2020 football season, now would be the perfect time to do this. Also, the Nittany Lions would rule the ACC whereas in the B1G just a handful of titles in 27 long years.

Pretty sure the ACC is mostly a Southern conference with a few northern interlopers who get short shifted by the whims of the Tobacco Road schools.

Pretty sure the ACC is mostly a Southern conference with a few northern interlopers who get short shifted by the whims of the Tobacco Road schools.

There is a lot of the Tobacco Road old boy dominance. Wally Loh will testify to that.

As to geography, it's an open secret that they consider the addition of BC to be a huge mistake and wish they'd just disappear. Don't know what they think of or how they treat Syracuse and Pitt.

Reactions: stf110
The ACC topic has come up many times over the years. I just feel that the timing is perfect right now. Like a perfect storm. With the Covid-19 pandemic, the B1G canceling football (and all fall sports) for 2020 and so on. It's no secret that Penn State has played a 2nd. fiddle to Ohio St. & Michigan since they joined the B1G for football back in 1993. From really lousy officiating against both those schools to Delany rushing to judgement and removing Joe's name from the championship trophy and more.

And again it really would not be that hard. If it costs some money oh well, Penn State is reportedly losing between $100,000,000.00 to $120,000,000.00 over the football season being cancelled. And the attorneys would do all the hard work, all Barron and Barbour would need to do is make a periodic announcement on how things were going. Nobody has disputed my original premise to this thread: namely that the ACC would welcome Penn State with open arms.

IF you had ACC football that had Penn State, Notre Dame, Florida State, North Carolina and others, the ACC would be a strong football conference. I do believe that the money would follow Penn State and Notre Dame. This should happen. But it probably won't as mentioned in my previous post as Eric Barron & Sandy Barbour are both in the twilight of their respective careers and neither probably has the stomach for all the hard work and extra hours it would require. So is easier for them to bow down to the "almighty" B1G. What is the B1G really. It is a building, has a staff, some clerical workers, a blue & black logo, and contracts with schools that were made to be broken....that's it and the ACC has all of those too. Just sayin..

Just wanted to add that the local businesses and economy of State College and really of all of Centre County PA has already suffered enormous financial losses due to the Covid-19 lock down and will be TOTALLY DEVASTATED if the B1G doesn't rescind this cancellation order.

The loss from the Big Ten's decision not to play football is about $35mm-40mm i.e. the loss of TV revenue. The stanching of other revenue streams e.g. ticket sales would have occurred regardless, as would losses to the surrounding geographic area.

Thanks for the batting practice.

Penn State is an Eastern school. I loved what JoePa did for Penn State as much as anybody; BUT the one thing I didn't like was his getting Penn State into the B1G conference. Now with the Covid-19 and the cancellation of the 2020 football season, now would be the perfect time to do this. Also, the Nittany Lions would rule the ACC whereas in the B1G just a handful of titles in 27 long years.
OK, so I'm not a PSU fan so I'm leaving after this post but you thinking PSU would rule the ACC any more than you've ruled the Big 10 is pretty funny to me. You Big 10 boys sure think a lot of yourselves for a group that doesn't have much to show for their football related troubles over the past few decades. Except for Ohio State, we'd have to get a history book out to see the last time any of you won anything.

On the money thing... Upon adding ND and Penn State, and renegotiating ACC TV deals...

And the B1G's TV deal renegotiated without Penn State, I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't more $$ in the ACC. Especially upon upgrading the "ACC Network" into a legit channel.

The ACC TVs are in a lot of population centers.
It would be split two more ways. So how much would it increase per team?

The ACC topic has come up many times over the years. I just feel that the timing is perfect right now. Like a perfect storm. With the Covid-19 pandemic, the B1G canceling football (and all fall sports) for 2020 and so on. It's no secret that Penn State has played a 2nd. fiddle to Ohio St. & Michigan since they joined the B1G for football back in 1993. From really lousy officiating against both those schools to Delany rushing to judgement and removing Joe's name from the championship trophy and more.

And again it really would not be that hard. If it costs some money oh well, Penn State is reportedly losing between $100,000,000.00 to $120,000,000.00 over the football season being cancelled. And the attorneys would do all the hard work, all Barron and Barbour would need to do is make a periodic announcement on how things were going. Nobody has disputed my original premise to this thread: namely that the ACC would welcome Penn State with open arms.

IF you had ACC football that had Penn State, Notre Dame, Florida State, North Carolina and others, the ACC would be a strong football conference. I do believe that the money would follow Penn State and Notre Dame. This should happen. But it probably won't as mentioned in my previous post as Eric Barron & Sandy Barbour are both in the twilight of their respective careers and neither probably has the stomach for all the hard work and extra hours it would require. So is easier for them to bow down to the "almighty" B1G. What is the B1G really. It is a building, has a staff, some clerical workers, a blue & black logo, and contracts with schools that were made to be broken....that's it and the ACC has all of those too. Just sayin..

Just wanted to add that the local businesses and economy of State College and really of all of Centre County PA has already suffered enormous financial losses due to the Covid-19 lock down and will be TOTALLY DEVASTATED if the B1G doesn't rescind this cancellation order.
Dude you are forgetting Clemson!

Reactions: NittanyBuff24
ACC revenue sharing: <$30mm/school

Big Ten revenue sharing: >$50mm/school.
PSU should not even consider the ACC and the ACC should not consider PSU. PSU in my opinion is in the right conference. PSU has more in common with Iowa then UNC or UVa. Money aside what started the pissing match between Nebraska and PSU?

Reactions: WDLion
When asked why the B1G was shuting down the football season (and all fall sports) new commissioner Kevin Warren said: "There is just too much uncertainty." Warren announced that all B1G teams would play a 10 game schedule and then within a few days did a 180 degree about face and canceled the season!

It is quite obvious that the uncertainty that Warren was referring to was coming from HIMSELF! He is/was uncertain. He is the one that is very confused and he is the one that is way over his head with being the new B1G commissioner.

He also waffled on the whole matter of what to do if Nebraska plays games out of conference this season. BTN TWICE asked him on Monday of this week about Nebraska and he refused to answer the question, putting it off until "some other day or time." The very next day when asked the same quesiton about Nebraska he said: "No...not and remain a member of the B1G conference."

Personally I don't care what the bleep Nebraska does but Warren needs to get his act together. He waffles too much. In a word he is too UNCERTAIN. Again, all the uncertainty regarding the B1G conference having or not having a football season this fall has come directly from the commissioners office and directly from the commissioner himself. THE BIG CONFERENCE NEEDS A NEW COMMISSIONER.
When asked why the B1G was shuting down the football season (and all fall sports) new commissioner Kevin Warren said: "There is just too much uncertainty." Warren announced that all B1G teams would play a 10 game schedule and then within a few days did a 180 degree about face and canceled the season!

It is quite obvious that the uncertainty that Warren was referring to was coming from HIMSELF! He is/was uncertain. He is the one that is very confused and he is the one that is way over his head with being the new B1G commissioner.

He also waffled on the whole matter of what to do if Nebraska plays games out of conference this season. BTN TWICE asked him on Monday of this week about Nebraska and he refused to answer the question, putting it off until "some other day or time." The very next day when asked the same quesiton about Nebraska he said: "No...not and remain a member of the B1G conference."

Personally I don't care what the bleep Nebraska does but Warren needs to get his act together. He waffles too much. In a word he is too UNCERTAIN. Again, all the uncertainty regarding the B1G conference having or not having a football season this fall has come directly from the commissioners office and directly from the commissioner himself. THE BIG CONFERENCE NEEDS A NEW COMMISSIONER.
That is his act - he is utterly clueless. Any decent person would have resigned.

Do you really think the commissioner and the Presidents made this decision without the lawyer? Without the risk managers. Without discussing it with State government?

OK, so I'm not a PSU fan so I'm leaving after this post but you thinking PSU would rule the ACC any more than you've ruled the Big 10 is pretty funny to me. You Big 10 boys sure think a lot of yourselves for a group that doesn't have much to show for their football related troubles over the past few decades. Except for Ohio State, we'd have to get a history book out to see the last time any of you won anything.

Same applies to ACC. Without FSU several years ago and Clemson last few seasons, ACC would still be football joke.

The Presidents made the decision. The Commissioner is merely their spokesperson. And FWIW it was likely the correct decision. Wait until the virus spikes across all campuses after classes resume. Colleges will be going all remote and football will be just an afterthought to the much larger issues the Presidents will face in mitigating risk. I’m not talking about the health of football players but the health of the entire college communities if fans are permitted to attend, and if not then why bother at all? Some colleges now aren’t even permitting students in their dormitories.

Last edited:
We all better hope that universities have the will and fortitude to stick it out in fall or spring will end up just like this past one, which is not good for anyone.

PSU should not even consider the ACC and the ACC should not consider PSU. PSU in my opinion is in the right conference. PSU has more in common with Iowa then UNC or UVa. Money aside what started the pissing match between Nebraska and PSU?
PSU has more in common with Iowa than UNC????? So many more people in NC from PA than Iowa, Minn, Wisc, Neb, Ind combined. So come on down boys. PSU playing VTech, UNC, Clemson , FSU and the U yes great fit. And Old foes Pitt 'Cuse and BC heck I do think that PSu and NC St had some good games back in the day. Yes awesome fit

Last edited:
The Presidents made the decision. The Commissioner is merely their spokesperson. And FWIW it was likely the correct decision. Wait until the virus spikes across all campuses after classes resume. Colleges will be going all remote and football will be just an afterthought to the much larger issues the Presidents will face in mitigating risk. I’m not talking about the health of football players but the health of the entire college communities if fans are permitted to attend, and if not then why bother at all? Some colleges now aren’t even permitting students in their dormitories.
Well , then he is one of the worst spokespersons ever...and grotesquely overpaid!

ACC would suck for wrestling. hockey, volleyball etc etc........Our share from the Big Ten is impressive thus moving anywhere is very unlikely..........

Reactions: TFBaum
Plus great cities in the ACC. Raleigh, Durham, Winston Salem, , Miami, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston, Louisville. Think of the food in those cities , the BBQ alone in NC and SC yum. Permantti Brothers in Pitt, Boston Beans, Krispy Kreme in Winston, Cuban Sandwich in Miami. Best food conference in the NCAA . Time to add some ice cream. Then college towns like Clemson, Chapel Hill, Blacksburg, Charlottesville, Tallahase. Great college towns

Last edited:
PSU's GoR agreement runs through 2032. Any idea how much it would cost the ACC to have PSU void that agreement? A lot and likely a number that wouldn't be workable for the ACC.

Reactions: TFBaum and bison13
Plus great cities in the ACC. Raleigh, Durham, Winston Salem, , Miami, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston, Louisville. Think of the food in those cities , the BBQ alone in NC and SC yum. Permantti Brothers in Pitt, Boston Beans, Krispy Kreme in Winston, Cuban Sandwich in Miami. Best food conference in the NCAA . Time to add some ice cream. Then college towns like Clemson, Chapel Hill, Blacksburg, Charlottesville, Tallahase. Great college towns

Durham and Winston Salem are not great cities and we know all about Pittsburgh. Tallahassee is a shit hole.

Reactions: bison13
Durham and Winston Salem are not great cities and we know all about Pittsburgh. Tallahassee is a shit home.
When is the last time you have been there(Durham and Winston) Both are going through an upgrade. How do I know Just moved from Winston and live next to Durham. Lots of new stuff being built, lots of new growth.. Pittsburgh is an awesome city Tallahassee rocks at FSU games

Winston Salem
photo-38.jpg

Durham
https%3A%2F%2Fi.forbesimg.com%2Fmedia%2Flists%2Fplaces%2Fdurham-nc_416x416.jpg

Last edited:
PSU's GoR agreement runs through 2032. Any idea how much it would cost the ACC to have PSU void that agreement? A lot and likely a number that wouldn't be workable for the ACC.

Cost Maryland $32mm to exit the ACC and that was six years ago and a simple exit penalty. GoR is a much harder nut to crack and if it goes to court a verdict won't happen fast. So with a valuable property like PSU, a tie up of 12 years, let's start with three times that.

Reactions: Hugh Laurie

You lost all credibility when you included that shithole Primanti Brothers, and misspelled the name to boot.

Reactions: 81b&w and RGWhirly
Typo and Pittsburgh a shithole????? Really

"Permantti" for "Primanti." Yeah, you're a goddam typo and your reading comprehension is nonexistent. I called Primanti Brothers, not Pittsburgh, a shithole. Like Mr Whirly, I'll stand by that statement.

"Permantti" for "Primanti." Yeah, you're a goddam typo and your reading comprehension is nonexistent. I called Primanti Brothers, not Pittsburgh, a shithole. Like Mr Whirly, I'll stand by that statement.
Wow a little hostile aren't we.

Well I have heard that statement before. Hey if you can live with that then good for you

Well, then, you might want to check if you still have your nuts left, not that you'd notice that they were missing.

And I'd say that you are an immature loser calling people names on a message board where you can do so anonymously without fear of getting your ___________ kicked.

I was reading on a couple of rival message boards, and many were saying the exact same things about the new "commissioner". Some said that he is weak, others said that he is in over his head and so on. But you would call them names too I guess and accuse them of pontificating. Glad to know that my opinion of the new commissioner has hit home with you. I'll have to post some more on the topic. LOL :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Take your "China Virus" and put it next to your car keys. Oh, and by the way, i know a great parking lot at Champs to straighten this out. Anonymously of course. :rolleyes:

Trying to get out of the BIG would be like trying to get out of the Mafia. Possible, but at a steep price.

Judging by the number of posts you make on here you obviously have no life.
You've made 13 posts in this thread alone. :rolleyes:

BTW- The bold lettering is cute. When you grow up you might be able to use it for every word like GreginPitt.

Edit:
14 posts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT