ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson files lawsuit against ACC

They’ve dragged their feet as FSU took the lead. The question is who finally told them they’ll get an invitation if they leave (leading to today’s lawsuit being filed)? Big Ten or SEC?

Last edited:
They’ve dragged their feet as FSU took the lead. The question is who told finally them they’ll get an invitation if they leave (leading to today’s lawsuit being filed)? Big Ten or SEC?
They always seemed like a better fit for the SEC, but then again, why would the SEC want two schools from South Carolina? I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not this development follows the article about North Carolina being a coveted target of both conferences. Maybe the word is out that it’s only a matter of time the ACC crumbles.
If I had to guess, I think the B1G may be attempting to crack open the ACC to expand down the East Coast and simultaneously force ND to join the conference.

Reactions: psu00
They always seemed like a better fit for the SEC, but then again, why would the SEC want two schools from South Carolina? I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not this development follows the article about North Carolina being a coveted target of both conferences. Maybe the word is out that it’s only a matter of time the ACC crumbles.
If I had to guess, I think the B1G may be attempting to crack open the ACC to expand down the East Coast and simultaneously force ND to join the conference.

Yeah, I have no doubt FSU and Clemson want to go to the SEC. The question is do they bring enough value as the SEC already owns those states.

I think FSU likely brings enough value to the SEC. I’m not so sure Clemson does but would the Big Ten even be interested in them from an academic side? Clearly someone gave them a guarantee leading to the lawsuit today.

Notre Dame is the wild card. Would the Big Ten offer Clemson to help destabilize the ACC to pry away ND? I think FSU is a much bigger prize and value for the Big Ten but from what I’ve read FSU would much rather go SEC given the regional continuity.

Last edited:
Joining Florida State, wanting out.

The game of musical chairs is still ongoing.

I'm not an attorney but I don't understand the premise of these lawsuits. They signed a contract and now don't like the contract and want out because the financials have changed (note: there was no guarantee of any specific future financials in the contract).

That's not really how contracts work, no?

Like if you signed the paperwork for an ARM mortgage and your mortage rates went up, you can't sue the bank and say "I don't like the finances of this contract anymore, I want out of it" (I mean you can sue anyone for anything, but there's no basis for the lawsuit).

Can anyone shed any more light on the legal thinking behind this and why a ruling in favor of Clemson or FSU wouldn't basically destroy contract law as we know it?

They’ve dragged their feet as FSU took the lead. The question is who finally told them they’ll get an invitation if they leave (leading to today’s lawsuit being filed)? Big Ten or SEC?
This tells me that Clemson believes that the Florida State lawsuit has legs and a reasonable chance of success.

Reactions: psu00
I'm not an attorney but I don't understand the premise of these lawsuits. They signed a contract and now don't like the contract and want out because the financials have changed (note: there was no guarantee of any specific future financials in the contract).

That's not really how contracts work, no?

Like if you signed the paperwork for an ARM mortgage and your mortage rates went up, you can't sue the bank and say "I don't like the finances of this contract anymore, I want out of it" (I mean you can sue anyone for anything, but there's no basis for the lawsuit).

Can anyone shed any more light on the legal thinking behind this and why a ruling in favor of Clemson or FSU wouldn't basically destroy contract law as we know it?

It's a bilateral contract. Both parties have a duty. Clemson will likely argue that the ACC didn't perform. Given the current weak state of the ACC, it's not a far out of the realm of possibility that the ACC powers-that-be were negligent.

This tells me that Clemson believes that the Florida State lawsuit has legs and a reasonable chance of success.
Good point. If Clemson thought it was going nowhere they’d stay quiet.

Now I’m waiting to see if/ when Virginia Tech and North Carolina jump into the deep end too.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
It's a bilateral contract. Both parties have a duty. Clemson will likely argue that the ACC didn't perform. Given the current weak state of the ACC, it's not a far out of the realm of possibility that the ACC powers-that-be were negligent.

I think the lawsuit route got new life when the new playoff payouts were announced recently. SEC and Big Ten teams will get $21 million while ACC get $13 million and Big 12/ Notre Dame get $12 million.

FSU/ Clemson can now argue that the ACC has recently agreed to a financial disparity that puts them at a significant disadvantage and it’s not some 10 year old GOR that’s not aged well in the new landscape of college football. It’s a new agreement that was just negotiated and accepted by the ACC.

Sure can't blame Clemson for wanting out. Besides Florida State, Clemson, and maybe Miami, the rest of the ACC is MAC level. Clemson and Florida State want to play big boy football and the putrid ACC is standing in the way.

Sure can't blame Clemson for wanting out. Besides Florida State, Clemson, and maybe Miami, the rest of the ACC is MAC level. Clemson and Florida State want to play big boy football and the putrid ACC is standing in the way.
Used to be to their advantage. Had easy seasons, good rankings, and a healthy team at end of year. Easy invite into the four team playoffs.

But now the money is screaming. Lousy TV contract. Poor tv ratings, poor NIL funds, and now a twelve team playoff negating their easy schedule/ranking into the old four team playoff.

Reactions: LemonEars
Seems like a long shot to succeed.

Can PSU successfully sue the Big Ten for being negligent in adding Rutgers? I doubt it.

• Haha

A potential death knell for the ACC...in effect at least.

Minus FSU and Clemson, it's not viable as a football league remotely competitive with the SEC and Big-10, which increasingly are the only two conferences that count in the new landscape of college football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT