ADVERTISEMENT

The ACC would welcome Penn State with open arms.....

Only if we get to play and destroy unc and ND every season. Hate those 2 schools.

TV money is better but for how long?? VA, NC, SC, GA, FL are booming in population and financial $$$. Other than Wrestling and LAX Those southern ACC states have better football and basketball(you know the money sports) prospects plus baseball recruits are better. Also better travel, come on NC SC GA weather in OCT is awesome. Plus better chances for rival games. Come on in boys the water is just fine
The athletic money is great, but the academic/research money is what keeps schools in the Big 10.

This is a freakin pipe dream! No way can you play back to back seasons in spring and fall. If a team makes the championship game in back to back seasons you’d play 24 games in approximately 10 months. Big is just trying to deflect.
Vegas is taking bets now on spring B1G football . They really don’t see it happening.

Reactions: MacNit07
Penn State is an Eastern school. I loved what JoePa did for Penn State as much as anybody; BUT the one thing I didn't like was his getting Penn State into the B1G conference. Now with the Covid-19 and the cancellation of the 2020 football season, now would be the perfect time to do this. Also, the Nittany Lions would rule the ACC whereas in the B1G just a handful of titles in 27 long years.
OSU=Clemson, not getting what you’re saying

Penn State is an Eastern school. I loved what JoePa did for Penn State as much as anybody; BUT the one thing I didn't like was his getting Penn State into the B1G conference. Now with the Covid-19 and the cancellation of the 2020 football season, now would be the perfect time to do this. Also, the Nittany Lions would rule the ACC whereas in the B1G just a handful of titles in 27 long years.

They're not playing either, they just don't know it yet.

Reactions: OaktonDave
Vegas is taking bets now on spring B1G football . They really don’t see it happening.

No they aren’t. Vegas still isn’t allowed by the Gaming Control Board to take bets on the Presidential election, they certainly are not allowed to take bets on whether there will be spring football.

If James Franklin wanted to he could try and convince B & B to get Penn State into the ACC. The timing will never be better than it is right now; what with the pandemic and everything else that's going on.

It may seem like it to younger posters on here; but Penn State has not always been a member of the B1G. And back in the late 1980's when talk started up of Penn State joining the Big Ten conference the idea sounded absurd. Fast forward 30+ years and it seems like PSU has been in the B1G forever.

As mentioned, contracts are meant to be broken. They aren't worth the paper they are written on. Contracts, big contracts are broken each and every day in this country. But the real problem is or are Eric Barron and Sandy Barbour. Barbour has only a couple of years to go and then she can ride off into the retirement sunset with all the perks that go with that. She would be/is more concerned about her *personal* life than getting embroiled in pulling Penn State out of the B1G and getting them into the ACC. So it is much easier and more expedient for her to just maintain the status quo.

Pretty much the same for Eric Barron. But it would not be that difficult to make such a move, as mentioned the ACC would welcome Penn State with open arms. And the Nittany Lions would be king of that jungle, whereas now they always must play 2nd. fiddle to Ohio State and Michigan. So basically Barron and Barbour would not be receptive to making the switch as it would require them to do a lot more work and why put themselves through that when Barron is or should be close to retiring and Barbour already has an exit plan in place.

Will it be done? Probably not. But my point is that it is not as difficult as some people might think. You just walk away. Sometimes in life you reach a point where you just say to heck with this and you walk away...from a job or from a bad marriage, whatever the case may be. In this case Penn State should just simply tell the B1G where to go. I'm not sure that even die-hard Penn State fans know how extremely POWERFUL the Penn State brand. There are conferences and TV networks that would be fairly slobbering all over themselves to get Penn State on board.

But as usual, just like with the whole mishandling of the JS nightmare, Penn State will always acquiesce and be the dutiful lambs being led to the slaughter. I almost started to throw up after reading some of the kiss up comments from various PSU head coaches. How pathetic. Saying they realized "it was in the best interest of our student-athletes." What?!? Best interest?!? How in God's name is it in their best interest?!? Read ALL of the various comments of Penn State student-athletes and other B1G student-athletes and ALL of them WANT TO PLAY. They even started a movement on Twitter stating that! Contact sport student-athletes were getting tested for the coronavirus TWICE per week. They were in a structured and protected environment. They were and are much safer within the parameters of playing the sport they love.

Young lives are being forever changed some dreams even destroyed all because of some pansy elderly school presidents and a really weak B1G commissioner. These people are doing irreparable harm to Penn State's outstanding student-athletes. Quite frankly, the student-athletes at The Pennsylvania State University DESERVE MUCH BETTER!!! Penn State desperately needs new and dynamic leadership that is qualified to lead such an outstanding university.

Doubt that Franklin much cares in which conference PSU plays, so why don't you try.

^^ LOL. Doubt ACC wants to get bigger and Penn State would still be second fiddle to duke and unc. Penn State is involved in so many quality academic collaborations/partnerships with other Big Ten schools, academic side would never allow it and they shouldn’t.

Reactions: Nitwit and PSUFBFAN
^^ LOL. Doubt ACC wants to get bigger and Penn State would still be second fiddle to duke and unc. Penn State is involved in so many quality academic collaborations/partnerships with other Big Ten schools, academic side would never allow it and they shouldn’t.

Don't know what these "quality academic collaborations/partnerships with other Big Ten schools" are, but if they're as good as you say they are, suspect they would survive a change of athletic affiliation.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
ACC 10 year record
3 National Championships (Football)
4 National Championships (Basketball)

Late in the season Penn State would be considered favorites against Clemson and Florida State in Beaver stadium. Both teams have no idea what it means to play an outdoor game in 45 degree weather let alone 30 degrees. There’s also a recruiting edge. Telling a blue chip athlete they’re going to be playing in Florida, Georgia, South & North Carolina and Virginia in Sept-Oct-Nov doesn’t hurt. JMHO

ACC 10 year record
3 National Championships (Football)
4 National Championships (Basketball)

Late in the season Penn State would be considered favorites against Clemson and Florida State in Beaver stadium. Both teams have no idea what it means to play an outdoor game in 45 degree weather let alone 30 degrees. There’s also a recruiting edge. Telling a blue chip athlete they’re going to be playing in Florida, Georgia, South & North Carolina and Virginia in Sept-Oct-Nov doesn’t hurt. JMHO

ACC revenue sharing: <$30mm/school

Big Ten revenue sharing: >$50mm/school.

If James Franklin wanted to he could try and convince B & B to get Penn State into the ACC. The timing will never be better than it is right now; what with the pandemic and everything else that's going on.

It may seem like it to younger posters on here; but Penn State has not always been a member of the B1G. And back in the late 1980's when talk started up of Penn State joining the Big Ten conference the idea sounded absurd. Fast forward 30+ years and it seems like PSU has been in the B1G forever.

As mentioned, contracts are meant to be broken. They aren't worth the paper they are written on. Contracts, big contracts are broken each and every day in this country. But the real problem is or are Eric Barron and Sandy Barbour. Barbour has only a couple of years to go and then she can ride off into the retirement sunset with all the perks that go with that. She would be/is more concerned about her *personal* life than getting embroiled in pulling Penn State out of the B1G and getting them into the ACC. So it is much easier and more expedient for her to just maintain the status quo.

Pretty much the same for Eric Barron. But it would not be that difficult to make such a move, as mentioned the ACC would welcome Penn State with open arms. And the Nittany Lions would be king of that jungle, whereas now they always must play 2nd. fiddle to Ohio State and Michigan. So basically Barron and Barbour would not be receptive to making the switch as it would require them to do a lot more work and why put themselves through that when Barron is or should be close to retiring and Barbour already has an exit plan in place.

Will it be done? Probably not. But my point is that it is not as difficult as some people might think. You just walk away. Sometimes in life you reach a point where you just say to heck with this and you walk away...from a job or from a bad marriage, whatever the case may be. In this case Penn State should just simply tell the B1G where to go. I'm not sure that even die-hard Penn State fans know how extremely POWERFUL the Penn State brand is. There are conferences and TV networks that would be fairly slobbering all over themselves to get Penn State on board.

But as usual, just like with the whole mishandling of the JS nightmare, Penn State will always acquiesce and be the dutiful lambs being led to the slaughter. I almost started to throw up after reading some of the kiss up comments from various PSU head coaches. How pathetic. Saying they realized "it was in the best interest of our student-athletes." What?!? Best interest?!? How in God's name is it in their best interest?!? Read ALL of the various comments of Penn State student-athletes and other B1G student-athletes and ALL of them WANT TO PLAY. They even started a movement on Twitter stating that! Contact sport student-athletes were getting tested for the coronavirus TWICE per week. They were in a structured and protected environment. They were and are much safer within the parameters of playing the sport they love.

Young lives are being forever changed, some dreams even destroyed all because of some pansy elderly school presidents and a really weak B1G commissioner! These people are doing irreparable harm to Penn State's outstanding student-athletes. Quite frankly, the student-athletes at The Pennsylvania State University DESERVE MUCH BETTER!!! Penn State desperately needs new and dynamic leadership that is qualified to lead such an outstanding university.
I would prefer to go ACC for geographical reasons only but unfortunately we would be the stepchild there, too. And it just won’t happen. It is a Carolina-centric league with the same biases, and the money would be less.

I simply cannot get this through my ACC buddies' heads. They still don't understand why Maryland left, all they focus on is how bad it has hurt their sports teams.

Reactions: bison13

Well, that reduction in revenue is significant. I can only assume several non-revenue sports would be forced to go.

And what happens when the ACC shuts down football in mid season due to a mass of infections within their football programs? Wouldn’t we look smart then? We need to stay on the Big 10 and ride this out.

And what happens when the ACC shuts down football in mid season due to a mass of infections within their football programs? Wouldn’t we look smart then? We need to stay on the Big 10 and ride this out.

Or they play the season and clemson wins another national championship.

Though with a Penn State switch those numbers would become much closer together.

So what is PSU worth? Let's be generous and say $100mm (keep in mind that ND gets $15mm p.a. from NBC, but it's not an apples/apples comparison). Shrinks the gap to $50mm v $35mm.

There are all sorts of assumptions that can move the numbers, but that's a lot of assuming.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Though with a Penn State switch those numbers would become much closer together.

So what is PSU worth? Let's be generous and say $100mm (keep in mind that ND gets $15mm p.a. from NBC, but it's not an apples/apples comparison). Shrinks the gap to $50mm v $35mm.

There are all sorts of assumptions that can move the numbers, but that's a lot of assuming.

Agree, using that logic it would be fair to say ACC plus Notre Dame & Penn State is more valuable than Big minus Penn State.

Of course the ACC would love to have Penn State. Then there would be two top football programs in the league instead of one. We would essentially double their national prestige in football. Right now the ACC is Clemson and garbage.

Reactions: TheGLOV
No they aren’t. Vegas still isn’t allowed by the Gaming Control Board to take bets on the Presidential election, they certainly are not allowed to take bets on whether there will be spring football.
https://saturdaytradition.com/big-t...lly-playing-spring-football-theyre-not-great/

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/news/ncaaf/despite-growing-uncertainty-odds-still-against-fbs-season-shifting-spring-2021-season/

They may or may not be taking bets, but the odds Vegas has set do NOT favor spring football being played.

Last edited:
Agree, using that logic it would be fair to say ACC plus Notre Dame & Penn State is more valuable than Big minus Penn State.

Depends. Valuing ND as an independent is problematical. If PSU leaves, the Big Ten suddenly has more incentive to re-offer ND membership with concessions. That loss would not be good for the ACC.

Then there is the matter of the GoR, which some here conveniently dismiss. No idea how much it would cost PSU to get out of it, but it's a lot. As a point of reference, it cost Maryland $32mm to get out of the ACC and that was a simple exit fee. This would be more expensive and considerably more complicated.

Football - Downgrade/Push at best (maybe better travel)
W. Volleyball - Downgrade
M. Basketball - Push
Wrestling - Downgrade
Hockey - What hockey?
Baseball - Upgrade
Money - Downgrade

Don't see it.

On the money thing... Upon adding ND and Penn State, and renegotiating ACC TV deals...

And the B1G's TV deal renegotiated without Penn State, I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't more $$ in the ACC. Especially upon upgrading the "ACC Network" into a legit channel.

The ACC TVs are in a lot of population centers.

Are you hoping that these kids get sick???? Are you that sick of an individual??

Reactions: bison13
On the money thing... Upon adding ND and Penn State, and renegotiating ACC TV deals...

And the B1G's TV deal renegotiated without Penn State, I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't more $$ in the ACC. Especially upon upgrading the "ACC Network" into a legit channel.

a lot of growing population centers.

I’m on board for many reasons but I don’t think the school does anything if it means a pay cut. If you add ND and PSU, and the money follows, it’s a no brainer IMO.

I simply cannot get this through my ACC buddies' heads. They still don't understand why Maryland left, all they focus on is how bad it has hurt their sports teams.
Those numbers would change rapidly with PSU and ND in the ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT