ADVERTISEMENT

Tesla - exited short sale

Do the majority do that? Is there any evidence that the majority of consumers pay their bills on time every time over a year?

Without evidence, it's just you taking about yourself with a sample size of one
Then provide evidence to the contrary that is statistically significant --till then your spoutin nothingness and losing credibility with every word. I see no data backing your posts yet you ask us for data? Get a set

The car is amazing, the company is crushing it, and all the big boys are adopting this technology. It’s happening; the future is now. Maybe just accept it.

Most independent reviews give Tesla vehicles high grades. I would certainly consider one but I occassionally drive very long distances and don't want to wait 45 minutes at a charging station. I would also feel better if the service network was more accessible.

I think the best way to transition to EV would be to start with fleets like postal vehicles. They all park overnight in one spot where they could recharge. I'm surprised that hasn't happened. UPS is making a gradual transition to hybrid vehicles.

I agree it's happening but I think it will take a while. I drive a Lincoln hybrid but they sell relatively few. People still prefer the gas powered cars.

If the hypothesis is that a majority of consumers are capable of remembering to plug in their car each and every time they come home, or at least overnight, I'd like to see evidence tht the average American consumer is so diligent and responsible. (Not current Tesla owners, the "typical consumer").

Wow, you are an idiot. Guess I'm one too for thinking you deserved responses to your posts.

Most independent reviews give Tesla vehicles high grades. I would certainly consider one but I occassionally drive very long distances and don't want to wait 45 minutes at a charging station. I would also feel better if the service network was more accessible.

I think the best way to transition to EV would be to start with fleets like postal vehicles. They all park overnight in one spot where they could recharge. I'm surprised that hasn't happened. UPS is making a gradual transition to hybrid vehicles.

I agree it's happening but I think it will take a while. I drive a Lincoln hybrid but they sell relatively few. People still prefer the gas powered cars.

You and every other ICE owner occasionally wait 45 minutes for oil changes - the total time spent maintaining/fueling the car is not different unless you regularly do 10+ hr road trips. One day you will own one and understand that you are sacrificing a superior driving experience 99% of the time for a perceived disadvantage 1% of the time.

You and every other ICE owner occasionally wait 45 minutes for oil changes - the total time spent maintaining/fueling the car is not different unless you regularly do 10+ hr road trips. One day you will own one and understand that you are sacrificing a superior driving experience 99% of the time for a perceived disadvantage 1% of the time.
I question “superior driving experience” but this is my vessel of choice so I may be the minority:
T1oGVgT.jpg

I have had a few Honda Civics. Oil changes, tire changes and occasional brake maintenance, have been about it for service. I have been running them 100 - 150K miles and get OK resale even after that. I combine tire and oil changes, so it’s been very little time in the shop for me already. If I have an EV, I will still have tire changes and brake maintenance ( I live in a mountainous area ) in addition to any other maintenance that EV’s ( electronic components ) might require. So, I would expect similar maintenance time and costs. I would want a similar class vehicle if I bought an EV.
As far as vehicle operation, I imagine electricity is probably cheaper than gas and I could simply charge an EV at home for most of my daily driving. I would have to allow for the cost of charger installation.

I didn't realize the EV car was the same as climate change. People will fight to the death to defend their position rather pro or con.

I can't personally feel that passionate about it one way or the other. I follow the thread as I really know very little about the current performance ranges, charging stations etc.

I didn't realize the EV car was the same as climate change. People will fight to the death to defend their position rather pro or con.

I can't personally feel that passionate about it one way or the other. I follow the thread as I really know very little about the current performance ranges, charging stations etc.
um yes and even for some it has come to vandalism --just because---

https://electrek.co/2019/10/14/tesla-sentry-mode-people-catches-vandals/

https://insideevs.com/news/379678/video-tesla-hate-exposed-explored/

Since there was a high volume of worry on here about charging stalls not being available well blame some fellow ICE owners, and more often than not-- the big bad truck guys

https://electrek.co/2019/01/01/tesla-pickup-truck-drivers-supercharger-protest/

but even more satisfying
https://electrek.co/2019/11/12/tesla-iced-pickup-truck-satisfying-justice-police-lift-crane/

I have had a few Honda Civics. Oil changes, tire changes and occasional brake maintenance, have been about it for service. I have been running them 100 - 150K miles and get OK resale even after that. I combine tire and oil changes, so it’s been very little time in the shop for me already. If I have an EV, I will still have tire changes and brake maintenance ( I live in a mountainous area ) in addition to any other maintenance that EV’s ( electronic components ) might require. So, I would expect similar maintenance time and costs. I would want a similar class vehicle if I bought an EV.
As far as vehicle operation, I imagine electricity is probably cheaper than gas and I could simply charge an EV at home for most of my daily driving. I would have to allow for the cost of charger installation.

Brakes pads last much longer on an EV because of regenerative braking.

Brakes pads last much longer on an EV because of regenerative braking.
I use regen braking about 95% of my driving. So much so when I drive my wifes car and take my foot off the gas to stop, the vehicle doesnt stop and I have to remember to hit the brake. Definitely a different way to drive

LOL Mr Chim's great great grandfather... Horseless buggies! Yeah right, they'll never replace the horse for transportation.
One electric car battery weighs 1000 pounds and requires mining 500,000 pounds of raw material. One battery. This requires child labor and is ultimately much worse for the environment.

Guessing you have no knowledge of anything on this topic so I’d quit while you’re behind.

One electric car battery weighs 1000 pounds and requires mining 500,000 pounds of raw material. One battery. This requires child labor and is ultimately much worse for the environment.

Guessing you have no knowledge of anything on this topic so I’d quit while you’re behind.

prove it if your so ahead --also in your proof of fact add the mining of coal and oil numbers as a balancing equations lets see the real numbers cochise.

I would expect your brake maintenance to be much less given the regenerative braking available on electric vehicles. Not all implement regenerative braking the same way, so results will differ between manufacturers. I rarely use the brake at all except to come to a complete stop at a light after using regenerative braking to get me down to creeping. I actually have to use the brake every once in awhile just to make sure they will work when needed.

Costs me about 3.35 to drive 100 miles in my electric car so you have a comparison you can make with your ICE but I have no idea what you would pay for electricity.

I would expect your brake maintenance to be much less given the regenerative braking available on electric vehicles. Not all implement regenerative braking the same way, so results will differ between manufacturers. I rarely use the brake at all except to come to a complete stop at a light after using regenerative braking to get me down to creeping. I actually have to use the brake every once in awhile just to make sure they will work when needed.

Costs me about 3.35 to drive 100 miles in my electric car so you have a comparison you can make with your ICE but I have no idea what you would pay for electricity.

As I understand it, even when you apply your brakes there's a moment when regen "kicks" in before the pads engage.

We've got a lot of stupid Luddites in this thread, but you're definitely the winner. Great work

prove it if your so ahead --also in your proof of fact add the mining of coal and oil numbers as a balancing equations lets see the real numbers cochise.
The information is readily available online. Nuclear is the long term solution. Here’s some excerpts from a Wall Street Journal article—I’ll assume you don’t have an account and likely breath exclusively through your mouth.

“A single electric-car battery weighs about 1,000 pounds. Fabricating one requires digging up, moving and processing more than 500,000 pounds of raw materials somewhere on the planet. The alternative? Use gasoline and extract one-tenth as much total tonnage to deliver the same number of vehicle-miles over the battery’s seven-year life.

The demand for minerals likely won’t be met by mines in Europe or the U.S. Instead, much of the mining will take place in nations with oppressive labor practices. The Democratic Republic of the Congo produces 70% of the world’s raw cobalt, and China controls 90% of cobalt refining. The Sydney-based Institute for a Sustainable Future cautions that a global “gold” rush for minerals could take miners into “some remote wilderness areas [that] have maintained high biodiversity because they haven’t been disturbed.”

Last edited:
As I understand it, even when you apply your brakes there's a moment when regen "kicks" in before the pads engage.

Not sure if I follow, but the moment you move your foot off the acceleration peddle, regen kicks in. So, I guess regen would activate before you put the same foot on the brake. I'm a one foot driver.

The information is readily available online. Nuclear is the long term solution. Here’s some excerpts from a Wall Street Journal article—I’ll assume you don’t have an account and likely breath exclusively through your mouth.

“A single electric-car battery weighs about 1,000 pounds. Fabricating one requires digging up, moving and processing more than 500,000 pounds of raw materials somewhere on the planet. The alternative? Use gasoline and extract one-tenth as much total tonnage to deliver the same number of vehicle-miles over the battery’s seven-year life.

The demand for minerals likely won’t be met by mines in Europe or the U.S. Instead, much of the mining will take place in nations with oppressive labor practices. The Democratic Republic of the Congo produces 70% of the world’s raw cobalt, and China controls 90% of cobalt refining. The Sydney-based Institute for a Sustainable Future cautions that a global “gold” rush for minerals could take miners into “some remote wilderness areas [that] have maintained high biodiversity because they haven’t been disturbed.”

op ed article??? Reading comprehension can be your friend. First what is their source Since the WSJ doesnt employee scientists, what source did they use?? Secondly words like "likely" are not fact based statements but assumption based so again cite a real source with real data not because someone in the WSJ says so

then we can start the conversation as to the global impact and I will say Cobalt is a primary source currently but as most people know battery tech is ever evolving maybe MR Fusion will save us all in our new flying delroreans

Lol yeah, among 1,000 other articles on the subject if you took even a second to inform yourself on the subject.
please indulge-- Im waiting -- burden of proof is upon you as you brought the subject up

Not sure if I follow, but the moment you move your foot off the acceleration peddle, regen kicks in. So, I guess regen would activate before you put the same foot on the brake. I'm a one foot driver.

Yes, so when compared to IC vehicle, if you braked the same number of times the EV brake pads would still last longer.

excellent so lets start comparing apples

Lets start with child labor who and where?

Ok here it is, so tell me what other uses there are for Cobalt while we are throwing ev batteries under the proverbial bus anything else we can toss out becuase its use of Cobalt after all its not like this is new-- Aircraft engines?? No you dont say so let me get this straight we are ok with its use in aircraft jet engines though?

Seems to me its a problem people are trying to solve and its not on the back burner aka better Battery tech
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/21/17488626/elon-musk-cobalt-electric-vehicle-battery-science

These are questions that should be asked and should be answered in realistic terms. This is a subject that concerns me if I buy an EV. Let’s see the math, and I don’t want to hear “ We’ll figure it out later “ from proponents in terms from creation to the end of lifecycle for these products.

Its an op-ed written by a guy from the Manhattan Institute. But ok sure, let's just keep drilling for oil

These guys will believe/echo absolutely anything as to not be taken out of their little comfort zone. Politics, sports, religion, sex, food, transportation...you name it, they’ll burn it all to the ground just so they don’t have to feel the slightest bit of discomfort. Have to admire Murdoch for printing money from that unending insecurity.

These are questions that should be asked and should be answered in realistic terms. This is a subject that concerns me if I buy an EV. Let’s see the math, and I don’t want to hear “ We’ll figure it out later “ from proponents in terms from creation to the end of life cycle for these products.
The problem will always be some sort of natural resource is used to create our machines or make them run regardless of type, the question is which is least impact-ful over the long haul? We have how many hundreds of years of fossil fuel data, we see the impact, We know that electricity can be generated via renewable sources fossil fuels cannot to date but are improving. There is always a state of figuring it out, its called progress We don t use asbestos much like back in the old days things do get better and improve

Ok here it is, so tell me what other uses there are for Cobalt while we are throwing ev batteries under the proverbial bus anything else we can toss out becuase its use of Cobalt after all its not like this is new-- Aircraft engines?? No you dont say so let me get this straight we are ok with its use in aircraft jet engines though?

Seems to me its a problem people are trying to solve and its not on the back burner aka better Battery tech
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/21/17488626/elon-musk-cobalt-electric-vehicle-battery-science
Are you drunk?

The problem will always be some sort of natural resource is used to create our machines or make them run regardless of type, the question is which is least impact-ful over the long haul? We have how many hundreds of years of fossil fuel data, we see the impact, We know that electricity can be generated via renewable sources fossil fuels cannot to date but are improving. There is always a state of figuring it out, its called progress We don t use asbestos much like back in the old days things do get better and improve
I think the biggest challenge for any industry is closing the loop in terms of waste generation. Few industries can do it well. Mining is also not an easy industry to have low environmental impact.
The chain of disposal is going to be a big problem as EV’s end up replacing ICE vehicles and the time to figure it out is before there is a big problem.

I think the biggest challenge for any industry is closing the loop in terms of waste generation. Few industries can do it well. Mining is also not an easy industry to have low environmental impact.
The chain of disposal is going to be a big problem as EV’s end up replacing ICE vehicles and the time to figure it out is before there is a big problem.
We've now pivoted to 'EV's are bad for the environment. It's best for me to keep driving my car that runs on a refined petroleum product.'

Beautiful stuff here boys

We've now pivoted to 'EV's are bad for the environment. It's best for me to keep driving my car that runs on a refined petroleum product.'

Beautiful stuff here boys
Yeah, but why are EV’s better ?
You can say electric vehicles don’t have emissions to any significant degree during operation. Point taken. Does that mean that no more questions should be asked ?
I didn’t realize it was heretical to ask further questions.

The only potential long term downside to the EV, as far as I can tell, is the battery -- both from mining the materials and then disposing of them later. This seems like something more likely to be overcome in a shorter time frame than the 100+ years we've been burning fossil fuels. At least I hope so. I'm excited for the future of these cars. I'm hoping they get the autodrive functionality perfected in the next 20 years -- before I'm no longer able to drive myself around.

Reactions: cjrugger
Maybe one should question mining practices. Cleveland Cliffs mines in Minnesota it takes 1 and half coal cars of aggregate to yield one quarter sized steel ball bearing for melt to iron ore and we are worried about gross tonnage for cobalt?? fact is that some folks seem to have bearing on the topic but refuse to acknowledge all the other uses of cobalt-- as if it was a 1:1 ratio for EV batteries only or mutually exclusive

and if also noted is not primarily mined as a stand alone (nickle and copper) so there's that too that gets factored in the infamous 500,000 pounds (tranlsate 250 tons) ooohh so heavy

https://www.chemicool.com/elements/cobalt.html

Yeah, but why are EV’s better ?
You can say electric vehicles don’t have emissions to any significant degree during operation. Point taken. Does that mean that no more questions should be asked ?
I didn’t realize it was heretical to ask further questions.
Have you asked these same questions of the petroleum industry?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT