ADVERTISEMENT

Ten thoughts on the game

PSU2UNC

Feb 9, 2016
(not that anyone cares)

1) Credit to Ohio State; I thought on multiple occasions that PSU had delivered the knock out blow and OSU kept fighting.

2) OSU’s 44 man depth chart has more talent on it than PSU’s. We knew this going into the game. That doesn’t mean that they are a better team than PSU, or that they will always play better than PSU, but raw talent can allow you to overcome mistakes.

3) I didn’t love some of the playcalling (where was Stevens? Why only run the “Not a Wildcat” once? Where was a gadget play?), especially on our FG drive. However, I was OK with the playcalling on the last 3 and out with the lead. The OL wasn’t getting protection and I think you have to be OK with punting that and playing defense. Gillikin flipped the field, but the D couldn’t hold.

4) I was impressed with Franklin’s clock management at the end of the first half. Really well done. I didn’t like that they turtled after the penalty though. I don’t feel like that 5 yards made that much of a difference.

5) The officiating was inconsistent and bad, but the calls went both ways. We cannot blame O’Neill et al for being biased; just bad at his job. I was SHOCKED that the Thompkins TD was overturned, although I strongly believe they got that call correct (and what a catch!)

6) Saquon deserves the Hesiman. Anyone who is seriously talking about JTB for Heisman is being unreasonable. He might have a chance in a year when there wasn’t another strong candidate (i.e. as a “lifetime achievement award”, like when Ron Dayne won), but there is just no way this year.

7) The “Black Out” was poorly executed and looked like garbage.

8) I want to make my computer desktop image a photo of Urban’s face after the opening kickoff. It was delicious.

9) I think if you play that game 10 times, PSU wins 7 of them.

10) I think if you play that game at a neutral site, PSU wins 9 of them.

(not that anyone cares)

1) Credit to Ohio State; I thought on multiple occasions that PSU had delivered the knock out blow and OSU kept fighting.

2) OSU’s 44 man depth chart has more talent on it than PSU’s. We knew this going into the game. That doesn’t mean that they are a better team than PSU, or that they will always play better than PSU, but raw talent can allow you to overcome mistakes.

3) I didn’t love some of the playcalling (where was Stevens? Why only run the “Not a Wildcat” once? Where was a gadget play?), especially on our FG drive. However, I was OK with the playcalling on the last 3 and out with the lead. The OL wasn’t getting protection and I think you have to be OK with punting that and playing defense. Gillikin flipped the field, but the D couldn’t hold.

4) I was impressed with Franklin’s clock management at the end of the first half. Really well done. I didn’t like that they turtled after the penalty though. I don’t feel like that 5 yards made that much of a difference.

5) The officiating was inconsistent and bad, but the calls went both ways. We cannot blame O’Neill et al for being biased; just bad at his job. I was SHOCKED that the Thompkins TD was overturned, although I strongly believe they got that call correct (and what a catch!)

6) Saquon deserves the Hesiman. Anyone who is seriously talking about JTB for Heisman is being unreasonable. He might have a chance in a year when there wasn’t another strong candidate (i.e. as a “lifetime achievement award”, like when Ron Dayne won), but there is just no way this year.

8) I want to make my computer desktop image a photo of Urban’s face after the opening kickoff. It was delicious.

Spot on!

(not that anyone cares)

9) Not if PSU can’t run the ball.
10) Ditto.

9) Not if PSU can’t run the ball.
10) Ditto.

Disagree. While I would like PSU to be able to grind out 3 yards per play late in games, that is not this offense. They sacrifice "singles" for "home runs".

Having said that, I think the play calling could have been better. No wheel route? Why not use Mike G more (they couldn't cover him)?

(not that anyone cares)

Good stuff. Noting Barkley actually handed off the ball to TM in our one 'Not the Wildcat' play.

(not that anyone cares)

I disagree with 6. The focus is now off us, and Saquon, and on OSU and JTB. If has a few more games like today, he may not win it but will finish ahead of Saquon.
As to 8 and 9, we would not win more than 5 of 10 anywhere but at home. OSU is just better.

I disagree with 6. The focus is now off us, and Saquon, and on OSU and JTB. If has a few more games like today, he may not win it but will finish ahead of Saquon.
As to 8 and 9, we would not win more than 5 of 10 anywhere but at home. OSU is just better.
Hate to agree, but OSU dominated both lines of scrimmage. Losing Bucholtz and Bates didn't help matters, but Trace had little time in the pocket while JTB could have picked daisies back there.

Disagree. While I would like PSU to be able to grind out 3 yards per play late in games, that is not this offense. They sacrifice "singles" for "home runs".

Having said that, I think the play calling could have been better. No wheel route? Why not use Mike G more (they couldn't cover him)?
They can’t run the ball in any quarter. Pete Rose, Ty Cobb, Rod Carew, Ichiro, Wade Boggs and so on hit plenty of singles. I like singles. PSU needs some singles.

(not that anyone cares)

https://pennstate.247sports.com/Art...-8-plays-behind-Penn-State-football-109632561

Swing for the fences hitters strikeout a lot more than singles hitters.

Back on topic - I just rewatched the entire game and it was really interesting how on many plays (not all) it was almost as if tOSU had two spies: One on Trace and one on Barkley. They were depending on their line to get pressure otherwise. A lot of times one of the LBs and a safety look like they have number assignments. I don’t think all teams can afford to do that, and frankly I didn’t have the confidence going into the game in the Buckeye secondary for it either.

I thought there were some shitty calls, mostly against tOSU. HOWEVER, there were a lot of non calls that tOSU got away with too. I didn’t see a game changer though. That int was, in fact, a TD. As much as I didn’t want it to be true, it was.

Last edited:
Moorhead needs to have a Plan B in place, possibly a Plan C as well. Anything different as that 4th quarter was playing out. Hell, a fumblerooski would have been a better call at some point.

(not that anyone cares)

Sorry but I can't agree with 9 and 10.

I’ll go along with your first 5 points. As far as the Heisman, the season is yet to be played out. If it was awarded today, and it was down to a comparison of Barkley and Barrett.... both have had good years.

Both have rocked up on stats against weaker opponents. Barkley had a great game against a highly ranked defense in Michigan’s offense was so inept that PSU probably would have won with your second string running back in a very similar fashion. There’s no way that OSU wins without Barrett’s effort.

Both had a bad game in a loss. Outside of the Oklahoma loss, Barrett has produced Heisman worthy numbers in every other game. Barkley has had moments in every game, but he was held to negative yardage running for a half against Northwestern and under 3.0 yards per carry against Indiana and OSU. If you would say that they would be considered nearly equal with either one having the slight advantage at this point, I could agree with that.

As far as PSU beating OSU 7/10 or 9/10 Times on a neutral field? It’s not like PSU dominated the game statistically and OSU had a couple of big or opportunistic plays. That could have been the Buckeye argument last season but I’m sure you would have refuted it.

If they played 10 games home and away, or on a neutral field, both teams would have its share of wins. It would be a respectable distribution. But PSU isn’t getting 7 unquestioned wins, and certainly not 9.

Reactions: Scarlet.Buckeye
I agree with your #2 -- Ohio State has more talent than Penn State. This is true now. I think there is a good chance we will close the gap over the next few years given Coach Franklin's recruiting prowess.

That said, how can you say that we would beat them 9 out of 10 times on a neutral field if they have more talent? Doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet.Buckeye
No wheel route because OSU was playing zone with 2 safeties...but underneath stuff was avaliable ALL DAY...Geseicki shoulda had at least a dozen catches...

Reactions: psuno1
I agree with your #2 -- Ohio State has more talent than Penn State. This is true now. I think there is a good chance we will close the gap over the next few years given Coach Franklin's recruiting prowess.

That said, how can you say that we would beat them 9 out of 10 times on a neutral field if they have more talent? Doesn't make sense.

Talent is not the same as results. PSU, despite being less talented, played better football for most the game.

"No wheel route because OSU was playing zone with 2 safeties.."

A big part of the lack of relative success with the wheel route was that Jerome Baker is a very fast linebacker and can run with Barkley. Barkley and Baker had good natured woofing against each other during the game and one of Barkley's comments to Baker was something to the effect: "are you going to stay on me the whole game." (I think I heard that in Baker's postgame interview)

I've also been critical of the playcalling, but in fairness to Moorhead, he did call the wheel route once. Trace got pressured immediately though and had to fling it away over the head of another reciever (I think Gesicki?)

Well said! Im still pissed about the game...it’s gonna sting for a while. I Think we got too safe/conservative in the last quarter. I hate to say i had a bad feeling for most of the game...i felt nervous even when we had what would normally been a “comfortable lead.” We certainly had our chances to deliver a knockout blow....and when you let a good team stay within striking distance....especially when playing at their place bad things can happen.

Re: #8 : couldn’t agree more. It was priceless

I've also been critical of the playcalling, but in fairness to Moorhead, he did call the wheel route once. Trace got pressured immediately though and had to fling it away over the head of another reciever (I think Gesicki?)

Fair enough, I didn't see that while watching in real time (my eyes tend to follow the ball) and I haven't watched the game a second time (which is when I look at things away from the ball).

Disagree. Everything that could go wrong for Ohio State, short of injuries, went wrong, and they still won. Penn State won't get those breaks 7-9 out of 10 games.

Disagree. Everything that could go wrong for Ohio State, short of injuries, went wrong, and they still won. Penn State won't get those breaks 7-9 out of 10 games.

Injuries cannot be controlled. PSU had more injury issues in the game than OSU did.

OSU's horrible kickoff coverage is 100% their fault (not a fluke). OSU fumbling the ball is 100% their fault (not a fluke).

What other "random chance" things "went wrong" for OSU?

Injuries cannot be controlled. PSU had more injury issues in the game than OSU did.

OSU's horrible kickoff coverage is 100% their fault (not a fluke). OSU fumbling the ball is 100% their fault (not a fluke).

What other "random chance" things "went wrong" for OSU?
Did I say anything was a fluke? Ohio State won 2 out of 3 phases of the game. More often than not, when you when 2 out of 3 phases, you're going to win the game.

Did I say anything was a fluke? Ohio State won 2 out of 3 phases of the game. More often than not, when you when 2 out of 3 phases, you're going to win the game.
You said "Penn State got breaks". What breaks did PSU get exactly?

(not that anyone cares)

9 and 10 are flat out wrong. We might win 5 out of 10 at home but that's about it.

Officiating was fine. That PI call was crap but the overturn in the endzone was correct. Credit the booth for making the right call when they could have easily let it slide. I do feel like there were some holding calls on OSU that they let go but overall, nothing to complain about.

Saquon will win the Heisman. JT will get some spotlight but in the end, it's all Barkley unless something drastic changes.

The blackout was pathetic. Maybe explain to OSU fans that when you have a blackout, you don't wear a red jersey?

Back on topic - I just rewatched the entire game and it was really interesting how on many plays (not all) it was almost as if tOSU had two spies: One on Trace and one on Barkley. They were depending on their line to get pressure otherwise. A lot of times one of the LBs and a safety look like they have number assignments. I don’t think all teams can afford to do that, and frankly I didn’t have the confidence going into the game in the Buckeye secondary for it either.

I thought there were some shitty calls, mostly against tOSU. HOWEVER, there were a lot of non calls that tOSU got away with too. I didn’t see a game changer though. That int was, in fact, a TD. As much as I didn’t want it to be true, it was.

That is pretty interesting if true. I don't think anyone else has attempted that. But then I don't think there are many other teams...ok 2 that could get away with that approach.
But if it is true then it makes me question even more why they didn't use Barkley as a decoy and throw downfield.
Agree about the officiating it was bad all around. The TD/Int. call was correct and I don't know why the announcers refused to acknowledge it.
Also did you think Klatt had money on OSU? He sure seemed to want them to win.:cool:

Ohio State kicking to Barkley to begin with. Ohio State blowing the coverage on a pooch kick. Being in the perfect position to not only recover a fumble, but pick it up and run. Going up 14-0 in the first 4 minutes. Going less than 50 total yards of offense to score 21 points. Another fumble, completely unforced, that Penn State was in position recover. Ohio State lost 4 fumbles in 7 games, then lost two Saturday. Overturning 2 interceptions in the endzone that, while the right calls, were close enough that no one (outside this board) would question if they went the other way.

None of those things happen in more games than not, let alone all of them happening in one.

I'll give you one, I didn't see the PI on the interception in the Endzone.
But I also thought some of the OSU OL moved a tick before the ball was snapped, especially on their first TD.
Bottom line I thought it was a really poorly officiated game for both sides.

Ohio State kicking to Barkley to begin with. Ohio State blowing the coverage on a pooch kick. Being in the perfect position to not only recover a fumble, but pick it up and run. Going up 14-0 in the first 4 minutes. Going less than 50 total yards of offense to score 21 points. Another fumble, completely unforced, that Penn State was in position recover. Ohio State lost 4 fumbles in 7 games, then lost two Saturday. Overturning 2 interceptions in the endzone that, while the right calls, were close enough that no one (outside this board) would question if they went the other way.

None of those things happen in more games than not, let alone all of them happening in one.

Except those aren't really "breaks" Thats a really great player (Barkely) creating them and forcing you guys to pooch kick.

The one int I'll give you. The other there should never have been a question, it was Thompkins ball all the way through.

Now if you want to talk breaks how about both of the PSU punt blockers not bothering to get a finger on your guy? Now that was a HUGE break for OSU. I mean it was almost "flukey". ;)

Reactions: psu2016 and PSU2UNC
Except those aren't really "breaks" Thats a really great player (Barkely) creating them and forcing you guys to pooch kick.

The one int I'll give you. The other there should never have been a question, it was Thompkins ball all the way through.

Now if you want to talk breaks how about both of the PSU punt blockers not bothering to get a finger on your guy? Now that was a HUGE break for OSU. I mean it was almost "flukey". ;)
The kick return was a great player making a play. But if Ohio State kicks it out of the endzone twice, the game completely changes. If Parris Campbell doesn't fumble on the second(?) Ohio State offensive play, if the PSU defender isn't right there to not only pounce on it, but pick it up and run it back, etc.

I agree it was Tompkins ball, but even the "expert" said he would have a hard time overturning it. They got the call right, but it was just questionable enough that most people wouldn't have blinked if he said it stood as called.

Haha okay, Ohio State got a break on the punt block. But I maintain that Ohio State won 2 of 3 phases. Penn State averaged 4.4 yards/play, Ohio State averaged 6.8.

Reactions: BBrown
At the horseshoe I think Ohio State wins 8 of 10 vs Penn State.

Neutral field I think Ohio State wins 6 of 10.

White out at beaver stadium I think Penn State makes a big jump and wins 8 of 10. Barrett would come down to earth in that environment and Meyer usually calls an extremely conservative game here at night.

Reactions: psu2016 and BBrown
But I also thought some of the OSU OL moved a tick before the ball was snapped, especially on their first TD.

They made the call on the wrong defender, but Polk was held by his jersey during his route. I don’t know that it was enough to really disrupt his chance at the ball (IIRC he didn’t even turn around to see where it was) but that is a call I would never expect to get.

Rewatched game 4 times this is what I saw 1) we went from being an aggressive team to passive we were waiting on them from both sides of the ball. No blitzing we left Barrett just stand there and wait for a receiver to get open, 2) no swing passes to Barkley, nothing over the middle to Gesicki and I think we should have just put Hamilton on the bench we didn't even throw to him. Sorry folks this one is on the coaches. You would think that after last years rose bowl loss they would have changed but they didn't. Sad!!

Agreed about poor officiating going both ways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT