ADVERTISEMENT

Team USA / Yasar Dogu / July 11-14

That’s, uh, weird. Maybe the appeal has legs. Or maybe they’re hoping they’ll meet and something will be settled on the mat without granting the appeal.

FLO has entries.

Both Yanni & Zain going @ 65kg.

Team USA

57 - no one
61 - Graff
65 - Zain + Yanni
70 - J. Green
74 - Burroughs
79 - Deringer
86 - PD3
92 - JCox
97 - Snyder
125 - Gwiz

Yazdani (86) & Chamizo (74) also registered.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6525109-yasar-dogu-2019-ranking-series-entries

86 is pretty loaded for Downey. In addition to Yazdani, also in the the field is Erdin (TUR)(2018 World Silver), Yasar (TUR)(2016 Oly Silver, 2015 World Silver), Makoev (SVK)(2017 World Silver), Punia (IND)(2018 JR World Silver), Friev (ESP)(2018 World Bronze), and Zubairov (AZE)(2018 U23 World Champ).

Interesting to see Toghrul Asgarov (AZE) up at 74kg (he won Oly Gold in 2012 at 60kg) and Reza Yazdani (Leopard of Juybar) back in action at 97 kg. Has Snyder ever wrestled him?

86 is pretty loaded for Downey. In addition to Yazdani, also in the the field is Erdin (TUR)(2018 World Silver), Yasar (TUR)(2016 Oly Silver, 2015 World Silver), Makoev (SVK)(2017 World Silver), Punia (IND)(2018 JR World Silver), Friev (ESP)(2018 World Bronze), and Zubairov (AZE)(2018 U23 World Champ).

Interesting to see Toghrul Asgarov (AZE) up at 74kg (he won Oly Gold in 2012 at 60kg) and Reza Yazdani (Leopard of Juybar) back in action at 97 kg. Has Snyder ever wrestled him?
Downey is pretty loaded too.

As an aside, what do you think of Dake’s latest shenanigans
while I would not want my first match to be someone of Alex' quality, I don't see a way that USAW can defend this. IF he is actually wrestling a month before the set date for the final X makeup, it is worse BS than the Sieraki-Lindland situation.

Surely FLWC could bring in someone to train with, and get some practice matches in. Makes me think of the whining he did about JB getting the advantage. He certainly is milking this advantage for all he can.

As an aside, what do you think of Dake’s latest shenanigans
seems like shenanigans but we haven't heard Dake's side of it... Yanni being there does raise a lot of q's if they wrestle... I Zane wins then the matter is settled. If Yanni wins does that mean we need one more (best of 3)?

seems like shenanigans but we haven't heard Dake's side of it... Yanni being there does raise a lot of q's if they wrestle... I Zane wins then the matter is settled. If Yanni wins does that mean we need one more (best of 3)?
We need Zain vs. Yianni at Super 32, the Bearcat Open, Ironman, Powerade, Beast of the East, Midlands, the Scuffle, Escape the Rock, etc. ..

until Koll gets the result he wants.

We need Zain vs. Yianni at Super 32, the Bearcat Open, Ironman, Powerade, Beast of the East, Midlands, the Scuffle, Escape the Rock, etc. ..

It’s a good thing Cael came to PSU. Otherwise, Koll would be coaching PSU, and some of us would be defending that slimy twerp.

Reactions: danoftw
Green loses in 1st round. Curse the Gods for Nolf having to bump up. His opponent lost in the semis so he's done.

Forrest Molinari on the ladies side is into the finals!

Wouldn’t be a shocker to learn that Carl could get them extra eligibility for all of those events. Or maybe only Zain so he would win by default.

#Hawksin20-something

I hope they wrestle in first round, actually Im praying for it, then this bullshit appeal can be put to rest, and the real team member can focus on his international opponents.

Im not against Zain meeting Yianni at all, but the fact that the only 2 Americans in the bracket meet in the first round is horseshit.

So which is it?

Yianni vs. Zain Round 4 will be tomorrow. They meet in the first match. Strong troll game by the Dogu.
What are the odds that if Yianni wins the match tomorrow his appeal will also turn out in his favor and if Zain wins we will not hear anything else about the appeal. Tomorrow's result should have no influence on the outcome of the appeal, but you never know with USA Wrestling.

Im not against Zain meeting Yianni at all, but the fact that the only 2 Americans in the bracket meet in the first round is horseshit.

It's not. For those unfamiliar - the athletes select their placing number themselves, as soon as they get off the scale. Its in full view of everyone in the weigh ins. There is no "back room" where brackets are made.

It's not. For those unfamiliar - the athletes select their placing number themselves, as soon as they get off the scale. Its in full view of everyone in the weigh ins. There is no "back room" where brackets are made.
May I ask what is a placing number and what does it mean to select it? Thanks!

Numbers coordinate to your place on the bracket. 1 - top of bracket, 2 - wrestles number 1 first round... so and so forth. It's why the world championships (prior to seeding) were always such a crapshoot. You literally had no idea where you would be placed until you, yourself, drew your number.

Reactions: Dogwelder
This is less then ideal for a USA fan, its is my thinking that this match up does not bother Zain at all. to be the best you have to beat the best. It is my call that for this year and next, this is Zains weight. Yianni will no doubt be a force in SR FS, but for now It is Zains time.-----:) I hope

Reactions: PSUer1989
What are the odds that if Yianni wins the match tomorrow his appeal will also turn out in his favor and if Zain wins we will not hear anything else about the appeal. Tomorrow's result should have no influence on the outcome of the appeal, but you never know with USA Wrestling.

I think Flo or Rudis floated out the idea that if Zain wins Yianni would drop the appeal. But who knows, as you said it shouldn't matter but it certainly adds fuel to the drama.

What is going on with James Green? I sure hope our team can still medal at Worlds.

Edit, I cant help but think what would happen if,after 2020, one of either Zain or Yianni bumps to 70 for a 3 year spurt.

Last edited:
To me if the USA wants to bring two guys at the same weight they should wrestle first. If you look at it from a tournament perspective you can't give the USA the chance to win two medals.

But there is an excellent chance Zain and Yianni both win medals.

Also, there are two Kazahks in the weight class, and they are on opposite sides of the bracket and can't meet until the finals.

Reactions: Dogwelder
But there is an excellent chance Zain and Yianni both win medals.

Also, there are two Kazahks in the weight class, and they are on opposite sides of the bracket and can't meet until the finals.

The kicker is, though, is that IIRC Dogu is a ranking tourney. So hopefully the winner of their meeting is our eventual rep.

Are we allowed to call them Kazahks?

Last edited:
The kicker is, though, is that IIRC Dogu is a qualifying tourney. So hopefully the winner of their meeting is our eventual rep.

Are we allowed to call them Kazahks?

Dogu is a ranking tournament. I don't know what you mean by qualifying tourney. It has nothing to do with USA Wrestling's procedures for selecting a team. No one is going to be awarded the spot based on the results at this tournament.

The winner of this match should represent USA at worlds imo. I think Zain wins btw

The winner of this match should represent USA at worlds imo. I think Zain wins btw
Nah... that’s why they have the team trials. It should have been settled within 48hrs of the appeal. This is a bad look for USA wrestling if Yianni wins and he gets the spot, imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT