ADVERTISEMENT

Team USA / Yasar Dogu / July 11-14

The winner of this match should represent USA at worlds imo. I think Zain wins btw

Because Yasar Dogu trumps the WTTs at which Zain won 1 match without dispute, and won the 2nd one as well, which is being appealed?

If this is the rationale - winning one match, pretty much anywhere - why wouldn't you just say Yianni should have won the spot at the US Open, or better yet, Zain should have gotten the spot after the 1st WTT match?

Maybe Gilman should have gone to this so he could have still had a shot to rep the USA at worlds this year, huh?

Because Yasar Dogu trumps the WTTs at which Zain won 1 match without dispute, and won the 2nd one as well, which is being appealed?

If this is the rationale - winning one match, pretty much anywhere - why wouldn't you just say Yianni should have won the spot at the US Open, or better yet, Zain should have gotten the spot after the 1st WTT match?

Maybe Gilman should have gone to this so he could have still had a shot to rep the USA at worlds this year, huh?
I think Yianni got shafted when nearly a minute of elite wrestling was erased. IMO the rubber match coming up should be the deciding factor. Just my opinion

Gilman definitely had full control of Fix's leg when the takedown was awarded for Dayton. It sucked as a fan, but a reality of freestyle wrestling. Gilman made some aggressive mistakes that cost him. I accepted that easier than I did the Yianni loss. Crazy right?

Reactions: WiscoWrastler
I think Yianni got shafted when nearly a minute of elite wrestling was erased. IMO the rubber match coming up should be the deciding factor. Just my opinion

Gilman definitely had full control of Fix's leg when the takedown was awarded for Dayton. It sucked as a fan, but a reality of freestyle wrestling. Gilman made some aggressive mistakes that cost him. I accepted that easier than I did the Yianni loss. Crazy right?
Even if Yianni wins the appeal, they'd wrestle match 2 from the start again. He wouldn't be given the win. So at best, this should count as match 2 of that series. Not the rubber match.

... Are we allowed to call them Kazahks?
I’m pretty sure (but not 100%) that we’re supposed to call them Kazaams. :)

kazaam.jpg

Reactions: danoftw and Afw6006
Dogu is a ranking tournament. I don't know what you mean by qualifying tourney. It has nothing to do with USA Wrestling's procedures for selecting a team. No one is going to be awarded the spot based on the results at this tournament.

Ranking,yes. Its my understanding placement points will be used to seed for worlds.

Who will be in Zain's and Yianni's respective corners when they wrestle. Are there any Cornell or PSU coaches in Istanbul?

Who will be in Zain's and Yianni's respective corners when they wrestle. Are there any Cornell or PSU coaches in Istanbul?
Found the answer:
Freestyle National Coach – Bill Zadick, Colorado Springs, Colo.
Manager of Freestyle Programs – Joe Russell, Colorado Springs, Colo.
Club Coach – Mark Perry, Iowa City, Iowa

Club Coach- Mark Manning, Lincoln, Neb.

Club Coach- Jeff Buxton, Easton, Pa.

Club Coach- Reece Humphrey, Dayton, N.J.

Club Coach- Zack Esposito, Stillwater, Okla.

Club Coach- Cody Sanderson, State College, Pa.

Club Coach- Mike Grey, Ithaca, N.Y.

Medical - Brandon Stone, Colorado Springs, Colo.

Medical - Robert Skinner, Colorado Springs, Colo.

Medical - Randy Aldret, Lafayette, La.

Referee - Danny Blackshear, Oklahoma City, Okla.

Delegate - Hooman Tavakolian, Roslyn Heights, N.Y.

Delegate - Paul Kieblesz, Middle Village, N.Y.

Nah... that’s why they have the team trials. It should have been settled within 48hrs of the appeal. This is a bad look for USA wrestling if Yianni wins and he gets the spot, imo.

I agree. I don't get folks making up stuff as we go along. Qualifications are qualifications and that's how it's done. This tourney has nothing to do with anything regarding the position. Just like hey, the fans want another match. It isn't about the fans, it's about what took place and Zain won 2 matches. End of story. He doesn't make the rules, simply follows them.

Yianni wins 9-5.

Zain got the first take down. But then Yianni was the more aggressive wrestler throughout. Folk lovers will hate the 4 pointer Yanni got with Zain on him like a Lizak backpack. Zain came up hobbling on the knee, looked back -- got a takedown and seemed to give a thumbs up?

Ringer dominates. He is good. 10-0 in 50 seconds. His usual dump TD for 4 then some guts.

Yianni dominates 13-2. He is good. 2 early beautifully smooth TDs. Gives up a TD. Answers again on a low single. 7-2 at the break. Another Yianni TD in first 15 seconds. A nice duck for a TD... tosses in a lil bowandarrow attempt and the AZE dude taps out lol. And a quick go behind to finish it off.

The US needs their best at Worlds. Yianni deserves an appeal. I hope gets it. The kid is a dynamic freestyler!

Reactions: WiscoWrastler
So a guy gets lifted completely off the mat and thrown directly to his back, and you think that should be worth how much? Nothing??

Thrown directly to his back? How so? After the whole exchange Zain rolled through, was still in the “top position” and was never removed from that position. So yes, in a sport without completely hokey rules, it would be no points

Look, I get that the rules of freestyle are that you can score exposure without control. But that IMO is what makes it stupid.... along with rules such as the continuous gut wrench/leg lace TF

And since it’s a form of wrestling, freestyle is better than basketball (so spare me that nonsense) ..... but it’s much worse than folk. And IMO, if America ever moved 100% to freestyle the sport would suffer greatly

Last edited:
This match should have absolutely nothing to do with the WTT spot.

I personally think Yianni has the higher ceiling, but Zain won the spot. The appeal will do what it does, but this match means absolutely nothing for the WTT spot.

The video was only 5 seconds, did you really miss Zain landing on his back off of the throw? Rewatch.

Well... He wasn’t thrown. He was rolled IMO and on his back for not even half a second... while continuing to roll through the move.

And as I explained... yes in this discipline it’s points ... and that’s what makes it dumb & why it will never be as popular in the US

Last edited:
Well... He wasn’t thrown. He was rolled, and on his back for not even half a second... while continuing to roll through the move.

And as I explained... yes in this discipline it’s points ... and that’s what makes it dumb & why it will never be as popular in the US

Pretty sure that being picked up and being put back down is a throw...

I’d never call that picked up or thrown

But whatever

I’m done arguing. Apologize for hijacking the thread. I think it’s hokey. Others don’t, just a Difference of opinion. It’s all good

i don't like that the flip is worth 2 takedowns, but that's how the rule is written and as long as everyone know it, it should be called a 4. seems like a 'cheap' 4 point move but them's the rules. it doesn't seem like there's a lot that can be done about changing that besides writing a more specific rule with very defined language.

Thrown directly to his back? How so? After the whole exchange Zain rolled through, was still in the “top position” and was never removed from that position. So yes, in a sport without completely hokey rules, it would be no points

Look, I get that the rules of freestyle are that you can score without control. But that IMO is what makes it stupid.... along with rules such as the continuous gut wrench/leg lace TF

And since it’s a form of wrestling, freestyle is better than basketball (so spare me that nonsense) ..... but it’s much worse than folk. And IMO, if America ever moved 100% to freestyle the sport would suffer greatly

I try and try but Freestyle is mostly unwatchable for me. I realize that is my issue and the rest of the world sees it differently. Unfortunately for the sport of wrestling, particularly in the USA, there Is a troubling percentage of HS/NCAA fans that share my opinion.

That certainly sounds like HR logic.
You disagree with the reality, prefer to impose a false reality and then expand that reality to allow a non USA wrestling result decide things.

Yianni up now. Need a win to pull in Zain.

-Does some magic Yianni stuff to not give up a take down. Push out instead. Down 1-0.
- Gets blasted out. Down 2-0. (Challenge coming). Now its a takedown. So Down 3-0.
- Hungary dude easily snatches Yianni leg. Throws him for 4. Scramble ensues... exposure in their somewhere and its 9-0 at the break.

::::Yianni getting destroyed, part of Koll's plan to not bring Zain back?!?!?!::::

- Magic from Hungary now to only give up a push out. 9-1.
- Hungary gassing? Still gets to Yianni legs.... scramble... not sure how there wasn't somewhere, but I am Free Dumb.... Yianni locks up a cradle for 2. 9-3. Hungary is gassed.
- Caution and 1 or step out?. 9-4. 90 seconds left. He is broken. Brick throw to get more time for Hungary.
- Challenge denied. 9-6 somehow.
- Double! From Yianni, 9-8. 1:06 left.
- Hungary on knees crawling out of bounds. Now he's taking a nap. And gets cautioned out. LOL.

Nice comeback from Yianni. USA!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT