ADVERTISEMENT

Suriano injured.

I sprained both ankles about a total of 13 times - mainly grade 2 and 1 sprains. For grade 2, that seems like standard m.o. Keep weight off, get swelling down ASAP with ice and compression for the first few days. Next stage is range of motion exercises.

The best thing he has going for him is being at a place with top notch facilities - hot and cold tubs, knowledgeable trainers, etc. Allows for the quickest rehab his body will allow.
How do you walk when you sprain both ankles? And, 13 times? :)

Was at the show. He wasn't overly enthusiastic in his response but perhaps was just him downplaying things. I think he will wrestle, then MF and hope for more healing going into nationals.

I have never wrestled but for those who have, if the ankle gets to a point where the pain is bearable, can he tape the heck out of it for support and wrestle fairly well? In other words are ankles a bit easier to go with than say a shoulder?
Even if you tape the heck out of it, you still have to push off, which hurts, and you're never confident in.

Reactions: dropster45
Was at the show. He wasn't overly enthusiastic in his response but perhaps was just him downplaying things. I think he will wrestle, then MF and hope for more healing going into nationals.

I have never wrestled but for those who have, if the ankle gets to a point where the pain is bearable, can he tape the heck out of it for support and wrestle fairly well? In other words are ankles a bit easier to go with than say a shoulder?
Every injury is unique...and the medical staff won't say, so we're left to wonder. Ok by me, to be honest.

Even if you tape the heck out of it, you still have to push off, which hurts, and you're never confident in.
What about a localized pain killer? I was never the athlete Nick is, so the stakes weren't as high, so I never got "shot up", but would this even work on a sprained ligament?

Cael does not get to overly enthusiastic over too many things ever. Yes. My son wrestled his entire Sr. year with not only a sprain but a torn tendon in his left ankle. The trainer wrapped it every match and it helped A LOT....He did not want to miss his Sr. year and going to states....Made it but didn't fair to well....He just wanted to make it to Pa. states before he graduated....

Doesn't even need to finish his match, if he gets a bye. Can just go out, wrestle one period, and default. The goal is to go to Nationals. That's 3 weeks and one day from today, and there can be a great deal of healing that takes place in 3 weeks and one day.

Pain is an individual thing. Some folks can't stand a little while others just don't let it bother them.
Are you saying "pain don't hurt" for the latter ;)

images

even if Nick needs to wrestle two matches why couldn't he just dive at opponents legs on whistle let him spin around for takedown and then just let him turn and pin him. could be 20 second matches with no injury risk. if he's going to take the loss anyway by defaulting after a period why even risk further injury? He's doesn't need to win either match - he'll definitley get a wildcard.

even if Nick needs to wrestle two matches why couldn't he just dive at opponents legs on whistle let him spin around for takedown and then just let him turn and pin him. could be 20 second matches with no injury risk. if he's going to take the loss anyway by defaulting after a period why even risk further injury? He's doesn't need to win either match - he'll definitley get a wildcard.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that he can injury default and it still counts. As long as he starts the match in the center with his head gear strapped tight.

Reactions: cypherb
Pain is an individual thing. Some folks can't stand a little while others just don't let it bother them.
This.
The mfer is going to hurt. The mind as much as the ankle is going to determine the limiting effects of the injury.

I'm further from the situation than you guys, but Nick certainly strikes me as the kind of guy that will need coaches/doctors limiting him to let it heal correctly. I would be stunned to hear of this guy being cleared to go but just couldn't deal with the pain. This is pretty true for most wrestlers imo. He has been a total pleasure to watch improve throughout this season, and we will all feel cheated if he isn't 100% come the NCAA tournament. Injuries are such a sucker punch for all of these young men who have put it all out there. Cory Clark,Bo Jordan, Sam Stoll,Nick Nevills last year,....the list goes on. I trust he has great medical advice and coaching in his favor, and hope for the best.

Reactions: cypherb
I mean, Cael went from saying, "that's something that can heal pretty fast" to "wish he had more time."

I was pretty surprised by Cael's comments so soon after the match. The likely explanation is he was simply deflecting, but he really did come off a bit dismissive considering the level of pain Nick was in just an hour earlier. This is a very tough kid so I'm not optimistic he'll be anywhere close to recovered by nationals, let alone BIGs. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry57
What are the details of attending practices? Specific days/times we're allowed in? Do we need to get approval prior? Might have to attend one myself, just to see.
If you do, take a picture of Spyker so I know what he looks like so I can find him next time!

Yep. Pain will be gone or dulled but stability won't be back.
That's what the tape is for. Cael and the team will start a propaganda campaign assigning the injury to the opposite side. Then, tape both ankles - camouflage...and "ankles taped" becomes the new normal tactile feel to him. Adrenaline can check most of the discomfort.
Then there's Vicks Vapor Rub. One tablespoon ingested orally before each match and the boy will be a fire breathing double ankle taped monster;)

That's what the tape is for. Cael and the team will start a propaganda campaign assigning the injury to the opposite side. Then, tape both ankles - camouflage...and "ankles taped" becomes the new normal tactile feel to him. Adrenaline can check most of the discomfort.
Then there's Vicks Vapor Rub. One tablespoon ingested orally before each match and the boy will be a fire breathing double ankle taped monster;)

Change that to a suppository and he wins hands down. He would rocket to the center of the mat.

Curious as to when you guys feel he sprained it. Everything I've read from posters is it seemed like nothing and he stepped funny on it.....
Watching the match live before flo put it behind paywall, it appeared more likely to me that he rolled over it funny while on the bottom. His face appeared to grimace, and then he went flat before getting to his base and then standing only to realize he couldn't put weight on it.

Anybody have the video so they can watch it again?
I watched it again as I'm a masochist and you nailed it. He was already gimpy upon his escape and was already favoring his left leg by standing lightly on his toe. A poster on TheMat (Gimpelt) believed it happened just before Bader said "he's got a wrist" - speaking of Nick P. His ankle probably got rolled over on bottom - you'll see he doesn't put any weight on it until he escapes - good escape using just 1 leg.

There is no way the tiny roll inward after he was on his feet caused the damage - it happened 15-30 seconds before while on bottom.

Now, here's where I'll try to be an optimist - if that was when it happened at least he didn't have his and Nick P's full weight on it.

Anyway, anxious to see how he looks this weekend

I watched it again as I'm a masochist and you nailed it. He was already gimpy upon his escape and was already favoring his left leg by standing lightly on his toe. A poster on TheMat (Gimpelt) believed it happened just before Bader said "he's got a wrist" - speaking of Nick P. His ankle probably got rolled over on bottom - you'll see he doesn't put any weight on it until he escapes - good escape using just 1 leg.

There is no way the tiny roll inward after he was on his feet caused the damage - it happened 15-30 seconds before while on bottom.

Now, here's where I'll try to be an optimist - if that was when it happened at least he didn't have his and Nick P's full weight on it.

Anyway, anxious to see how he looks this weekend

According to Flo he's done.

Was that from FRL on Tuesday? If that's what you're referring to, I don't think they have any inside info (I hope).

We'll soon find out

We just did find out. And just as I said Flo was full of @$it. Nick will qualify. The "game day decision" refers to simply whether he will take the mat and then default, or go ahead and wrestle.

Of course, now the haters will move on to arguing that his seed should go down, if he defaults early.

We just did find out. And just as I said Flo was full of @$it. Nick will qualify. The "game day decision" refers to simply whether he will take the mat and then default, or go ahead and wrestle.

Of course, now the haters will move on to arguing that his seed should go down, if he defaults early.
Hope you are right. Suriano's injury had me worried.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT