ADVERTISEMENT

Suriano injured.

From a Hawk fan, I truly hope Suriano is ok. I'd hate to see him not at 100% after kicking some tail all year long. Speedy recover.
Thanks Knight....Nick is good to go !!!! I think it was more of a scare since he has never been hurt before in his life on the mat....

Reactions: 21Guns
Hoping the kid is fine. I know my sprains (never had a really severe one until I was in my 20s) took a while.
Bubba wasn't the same the rest of the year and my Dad noted today, "I think Jimmy just recently completely recovered from last year's sprain."

Cael says he's fine. I'll go with Cael, fully recognizing everyone else's thoughts and experiences. I'll take Cael's word.

today should have media access to team??? Should get more info on this if so.

There is also the coaches show tomorrow night from Lettermans at 6pm, where that guy from Boalsburg certainly will ask the right questions.

Reactions: burnsie1983
I said ankle, not foot.

I can look at my archives, are you looking for a wrestler that wrestled with a broken Lateral Malleolus or a Medial Malleolus? I found a couple that broke their Talus too.

I can look at my archives, are you looking for a wrestler that wrestled with a broken Lateral Malleolus or a Medial Malleolus? I found a couple that broke their Talus too.

All three, have at it.

today should have media access to team??? Should get more info on this if so.

There is also the coaches show tomorrow night from Lettermans at 6pm, where that guy from Boalsburg certainly will ask the right questions.
My guess is JB will take care of this particular subject ;).

It sucks but I'm resigned to the likelihood that even if Nick wrestles it won't be the same Nick. Ankle won't be at full strength and opponents will go after it.

I still think we can win the NCAA tournament but need bigger performances from Hall, Joseph, Gulibon and Nevills, and some points from McCutcheon too.

It sucks but I'm resigned to the likelihood that even if Nick wrestles it won't be the same Nick. Ankle won't be at full strength and opponents will go after it.

I still think we can win the NCAA tournament but need bigger performances from Hall, Joseph, Gulibon and Nevills, and some points from McCutcheon too.

That's not what Cael said.

That's not what Cael said.
Caelstradamus? I know Cael is the best coach in college wrestling but is he superman also? Does he have x-ray and MRI vision? What Cael said about Suriano directly after the dual with OSU was clearly coach speak. With no real medical knowledge at that point, and it being his job to alleviate the anxiety his young wrestler may be having, what else could he say?

By now I would assume more concrete medical information on the extent of Suriano's injury is available. Hopefully it is good news and the sprain is not severe. Severe or not, how Nick reacts to it will be the key. As Cael also said, "he's never really had an injury before". The coaching staff will likely have a pretty good idea just where NS is with regard to this issue by how he practices the next couple weeks. It may just be a pain tolerance issue, but until he steps on the mat at the B1Gs we simply won't know, and can only speculate.

To me it seems very unlikely that a kid that couldn't put any weight on his ankle is going to be 100% inside of a month. I will certainly be happy to be proven wrong.

Reactions: Cold Smoke
Caelstradamus? I know Cael is the best coach in college wrestling but is he superman also? Does he have x-ray and MRI vision? What Cael said about Suriano directly after the dual with OSU was clearly coach speak. With no real medical knowledge at that point, and it being his job to alleviate the anxiety his young wrestler may be having, what else could he say?

By now I would assume more concrete medical information on the extent of Suriano's injury is available. Hopefully it is good news and the sprain is not severe. Severe or not, how Nick reacts to it will be the key. As Cael also said, "he's never really had an injury before". The coaching staff will likely have a pretty good idea just where NS is with regard to this issue by how he practices the next couple weeks. It may just be a pain tolerance issue, but until he steps on the mat at the B1Gs we simply won't know, and can only speculate.

To me it seems very unlikely that a kid that couldn't put any weight on his ankle is going to be 100% inside of a month. I will certainly be happy to be proven wrong.

lol. In your 1st para you say that Cael was speaking with little medical knowledge when predicting NS will be OK. Then in your last para YOU, with less medical knowledge of the situation than Cael, predict NS is not going to be 100%.

Classic.

lol. In your 1st para you say that Cael was speaking with little medical knowledge when predicting NS will be OK. Then in your last para YOU, with less medical knowledge of the situation than Cael, predict NS is not going to be 100%.

Classic.

Guess you missed the part where I said, "we can only speculate", that's just what I did. Reading comprehension problems?

Guess you missed the part where I said, "we can only speculate", that's just what I did. Reading comprehension problems?

So you're allowed to speculate, but Cael who actually had WAY more insight and had talked to the doctor and trainer isn't allowed to?? OK then.

You're a funny dude.

Reactions: Antaeus

1. Cael does not "coach speak"
2. "I would assume", after that, everything you say is bogus.
3. Your "100%" comment is comical: I watched Frank Molinaro beat a kid on one leg, with the other looking like a mummy. Cory Clark is out there, with a good shot to win it all, with a shoulder harness and a damned bowling hand. NOBODY is "100%" at this time of year.

There we go. I feel better now.

Last edited:
1. Cael does not "coach speak"
2. "I would assume", after that, everything you say is bogus.
3. Your "100%" comment is comical: I watched Frank Molinaro beat a kid on one leg, with the other looking like a mummy. Cory Clark is out there, with a good shot to win it all, with a shoulder harness and a damned bowling hand. NOBODY is "100%" at this time of year.
4. I know a Lehigh troll when I see one: Penn State 30 Lehigh 10, and Beca cheats.

There we go. I feel better now.

1. CS does Coach speak, all coaches do.
2. When you ASSUME, you make an ASS out of U and ME. Since you are on ignore to many on this board, you assume a lot!
3. I agree with you on Frank Molinaro. The power of positive thinking is great. But I can bring up examples myself. Cutch last season, McDonough, do you need more...?
4. You know a Lehigh troll.....LMAO....you don't know Jack shyt! I don't even know what Beca is!

There are many on this thread that speculate on this issue. People who have had similar injuries and some that are in the medical field. As I said, until we see Suriano on the mat, that's all any of it is.

Hope your still feeling good.

1. CS does Coach speak, all coaches do.
2. When you ASSUME, you make an ASS out of U and ME. Since you are on ignore to many on this board, you assume a lot!
3. I agree with you on Frank Molinaro. The power of positive thinking is great. But I can bring up examples myself. Cutch last season, McDonough, do you need more...?
4. You know a Lehigh troll.....LMAO....you don't know Jack shyt! I don't even know what Beca is!

There are many on this thread that speculate on this issue. People who have had similar injuries and some that are in the medical field. As I said, until we see Suriano on the mat, that's all any of it is.

Hope your still feeling good.

Yep, still feeling good. Even better since it is YOU who is assuming. And even better since CAEL said he'd be alright, and some clown calling himself "Allensville Amos" is rooting against a KID on a message board.

Troll.

Suriano goes in Bloomington, and qualifies for Nationals. Take a big bite out of that troll.

And nobody on the wrestling board has me on ignore but you and some Ok state fan who had a problem with stalking, and I don't have ANYONE on ignore.

Yep, still feeling good. Even better since it is YOU who is assuming. And even better since CAEL said he'd be alright, and some clown calling himself "Allensville Amos" is rooting against a KID on a message board.

Troll.

Suriano goes in Bloomington, and qualifies for Nationals. Take a big bite out of that troll.

And nobody on the wrestling board has me on ignore but you and some Ok state fan who had a problem with stalking, and I don't have ANYONE on ignore.

Childish name calling by an internet tuff guy. And no, its you who are assuming again.
As I said, I hope im wrong. Im absolutely rooting for NS. I don't think its likely he will be at 100% but I never said he cant be successful at 90% or even 80%.
I do believe Suriano will qualify, all he has to do is wrestle one match at B1Gs.

You can call names like a child but that wont make me agree with you. Go try and bully someone else, it wont work with me.

Childish name calling by an internet tuff guy. And no, its you who are assuming again.
As I said, I hope im wrong. Im absolutely rooting for NS. I don't think its likely he will be at 100% but I never said he cant be successful at 90% or even 80%.
I do believe Suriano will qualify, all he has to do is wrestle one match at B1Gs.

You can call names like a child but that wont make me agree with you. Go try and bully someone else, it wont work with me.
I'm not bullying anyone, and you can pm me anytime, or get my email from Amalone, and we can discuss the matter in person.

I'm not bullying anyone, and you can pm me anytime, or get my email from Amalone, and we can discuss the matter in person.[/QUOTE

No you just called me names because I didn't agree with you...that's not bullying? I can take being called a clown and a troll but a Lehigh fan, that's hitting below the belt!

I have no desire to argue with you over pm or email. I haven't lived in PA for many years so if its such a big deal that I don't agree with you, and you want to talk about this in person you will likely be buying a plane ticket.

Even if Suriano's ankle is not 100% and only 75% in four weeks, I hope he tapes it up and guts out a few wins and can make All American.

He has had such a solid consistent season as a true freshman - remarkable actually. It would be heart breaking if he couldn't achieve All American.

If he can't AA, that's not the narrative I would want to see written. It would be extremely unfair to the kid. He's worked so hard.

In reality, we have 23 days to recover here: Get well enough to win one or two matches at B1G's and simply qualify, then continue the rehab and get as healthy as possible for Nationals.

Under this scenario, at worst you lose a seed and head into St Louis 3rd behind Dance. Either way, it's close to the same bracketing.

My understanding is that B1G brackets are 16 man with two byes, random, or given to the first and second seed depending on how many auto qualifying spots the B1G gets. If Suriano doesn't draw a bye, wins one match and defaults out, he would likely not get an auto qualifying spot but would surely get a wild card. If he wins two matches, this would put him in the semi's against Lambert. Default out here and he would take 6th, a likely auto qualifier.

Admittedly, I don't know how the NCAA seeding committee would handle this situation. Obviously, it would be nice to see Nick on the opposite side of the bracket from Gilman.

Suriano is going to be just fine...might limit his movement a bit but the young (especially athletes) heal quicker. Nick's challenge is going to be resting it. Worst case scenario is that you guys are back to where you were at pre-Hall redshirt which is still in the lead. The power of positive thinking boys plus God wouldn't do that to Cael, he is one of His favorites ;)

Suriano is going to be just fine...might limit his movement a bit but the young (especially athletes) heal quicker. Nick's challenge is going to be resting it. Worst case scenario is that you guys are back to where you were at pre-Hall redshirt which is still in the lead. The power of positive thinking boys plus God wouldn't do that to Cael, he is one of His favorites ;)

You are referencing someone you don't believe exists now thats positive thinking.
watching-you-smiley-emoticon.gif

Couldn't put any weight on it? He walked back to center mat, after it was taped, and started to wrestless aggression. After CaEl called the match, they avoided putting weight on it.

Never mind. Proved my point. Give yourself a cookie.

Your point being that nobody remembers someone wrestled on a broken ankle, which has to mean it never happened? You made a dumb "point" and supported it with ignorance. Good job!

My understanding is that B1G brackets are 16 man with two byes, random, or given to the first and second seed depending on how many auto qualifying spots the B1G gets. If Suriano doesn't draw a bye, wins one match and defaults out, he would likely not get an auto qualifying spot but would surely get a wild card. If he wins two matches, this would put him in the semi's against Lambert. Default out here and he would take 6th, a likely auto qualifier.

Admittedly, I don't know how the NCAA seeding committee would handle this situation. Obviously, it would be nice to see Nick on the opposite side of the bracket from Gilman.
I see no way for the B1G to get more than 8 allocation slots. Gilman, Suriano, Lambert, Lizak, Rodriguez, Jimenez and Oliver look to be at least Silver Standard, and Thornton may be too. The first 5 listed are shoe-ins, and while Jimenez's, Oliver's, and Thornton's Win % is less than .70 (70%), I only count 20 starters or so that are above 70%, so that metric will float downward.

7 or 8 allocation slots means the bracket will have the top-8 seeds placed, and the remaining 6 wrestlers randomly drawn. Seeded wrestlers (Nick included) will have a 75% chance of a 1st round match (6 of 8 will wrestle, 2 of 8 will have a bye). I can take it to the next step, but I think y'all can figure what might happen (I don't have "the plan", so it would be pure speculation for me to say more :)).

We still haven't heard X-ray results yet, but if he's not able to put pressure on his ankle to this point, he may not be able to make Big Tens.

Daily Collegian has a story that he was seen on campus with crutches and air cast. Not sure as never had an ankle injury but hopefully that is normal part of recovery/therapy to prevent something further or setback.
http://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/wrestling/article_f01a0e58-f8bc-11e6-b218-4b9a98209c55.html
I sprained both ankles about a total of 13 times - mainly grade 2 and 1 sprains. For grade 2, that seems like standard m.o. Keep weight off, get swelling down ASAP with ice and compression for the first few days. Next stage is range of motion exercises.

The best thing he has going for him is being at a place with top notch facilities - hot and cold tubs, knowledgeable trainers, etc. Allows for the quickest rehab his body will allow.

Reactions: hlstone and papa_ed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT