ADVERTISEMENT

2024-25 PSU Lineup (The Dynasty Continues)

Gibson to Rutgers makes very little sense. The one area Rutgers has covered pretty well is 125/133.
Peterson and Shawver both have 2 years left. After that, Rutgers has Smith (incoming) and Chletsos at 125 and nobody at all at 133.

Gibson would sit a year after shirting, but probably wouldn't be too worried beyond that.

a realist or lack of confidence of beating those at his weight class. I would think that is why the 'log jam' kids are not pulling out - they think they can be anyone.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
a realist or lack of confidence of beating those at his weight class. I would think that is why the 'log jam' kids are not pulling out - they think they can be anyone.
Probably a realist.. someone will end up being disappointed out of the “log jam” kids

Good kid. I am happy for him. Too entertaining to sit behind a couple of hammers. I look forward to seeing him elsewhere. He kind of looks like a Gabe Arnold mini me. Just sayin'

125 Lilledahl
133 Davis / Nagao
141 Beau
149 Kasak/Van Ness
157 Messenbrink
165 Haines
174 Facundo
184 Barr
197 Starocci
285 Kerkvkiet
125 Lilledahl
133 Davis / Nagao
141 Beau
149 Van Ness
157 Kasak
165/174 Messenbrink/Haines
184/197 Facundo/Barr/Starocci
285 Kerkvliet

Reactions: mcpat
Technically, Haines still has a redshirt left, so I guess it's possible Kasak 157, Mesenbrink 165, Facundo 174 with Haines and the freshmen shirting.

If Levi is big enough he should go. Facundo at the trials shows the same deficiencies. He's going to struggle to get to legs and unless he can find his duck is going to be limited in neutral.

but hey. it's not like I have a plan. So i'm sure Carl will figure it out.

If Levi is big enough he should go. Facundo at the trials shows the same deficiencies. He's going to struggle to get to legs and unless he can find his duck is going to be limited in neutral.

but hey. it's not like I have a plan. So i'm sure Carl will figure it out.
Pushing people up further in the lineup is suboptimal for the future, though. Forget about Facundo, Ryder and Sealey are coming next year. Obviously, they can redshirt. Sealey probably will, but Ryder took a blueshirt year as a senior and the last three guys to do that were Nick Lee, Haines, and Kasak, and all three were high AAs from the jump as true freshmen, so it would seem that Ryder is probably ready to go this year even if he is forced into a redshirt. Next year, they have Duke and Henckel coming (as well as Asher Cunningham, who jumped several levels this year). Barr was undefeated as a redshirt last year and is poised to move right into 184. These guys are all in the 165-184 range. Unless neither Levi nor MM can make 157 anymore, moving Haines up into the 174 range just throws another log on the logjam that already exists. It's much better for the team if Haines & Mesenbrink can continue to hold 157/165 in some configuration.

Facundo can easily be replaced as soon as this year without messing with Haines/MM by Ryder (or Sealey) if he struggles as you are suggesting. I'm not convinced he will struggle, but just saying, if he does, there are plenty of options other than Haines.

Pushing people up further in the lineup is suboptimal for the future, though. Forget about Facundo, Ryder and Sealey are coming next year. Obviously, they can redshirt. Sealey probably will, but Ryder took a blueshirt year as a senior and the last three guys to do that were Nick Lee, Haines, and Kasak, and all three were high AAs from the jump as true freshmen, so it would seem that Ryder is probably ready to go this year even if he is forced into a redshirt. Next year, they have Duke and Henckel coming (as well as Asher Cunningham, who jumped several levels this year). Barr was undefeated as a redshirt last year and is poised to move right into 184. These guys are all in the 165-184 range. Unless neither Levi nor MM can make 157 anymore, moving Haines up into the 174 range just throws another log on the logjam that already exists. It's much better for the team if Haines & Mesenbrink can continue to hold 157/165 in some configuration.

Facundo can easily be replaced as soon as this year without messing with Haines/MM by Ryder (or Sealey) if he struggles as you are suggesting. I'm not convinced he will struggle, but just saying, if he does, there are plenty of options other than Haines.
correct. and haines could redshirt.

But just saying that Haines is a better option than Facundo (assuming he's big enough)

The best scenario, granted noone on the outside has any idea if it's feasible any longer, is for Kasak to shirt and return to 141 after Beau is finished (or to compete for that spot next year). I get the sense that 141 is now in his rear view mirror.

Kasak to 157 is a road to nowhere, and possible the worst scenario going forward. I don't see the logic there at all.

The best scenario, granted noone on the outside has any idea if it's feasible any longer, is for Kasak to shirt and return to 141 after Beau is finished (or to compete for that spot next year). I get the sense that 141 is now in his rear view mirror.

Kasak to 157 is a road to nowhere, and possible the worst scenario going forward. I don't see the logic there at all.
I could be wrong but if Kasak was having weight issues it would have shown up at nationals.

I could be wrong but if Kasak was having weight issues it would have shown up at nationals.
I don't think that he was having weight issues at 149 after getting down to 141 to start the season, but he may have issues getting back down to 141, especially if we're talking 2 years out. The suggested jump to 157 isn't because he can't make 149, it's because SVN is already there (and I believe he would have won the class this year if he were healthy...) so he'd have to go up one more.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano

Stick a fork in Kasak to 141. If he could do it ever, then he's not going all the way up to 157.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
I don't think that he was having weight issues at 149 after getting down to 141 to start the season, but he may have issues getting back down to 141, especially if we're talking 2 years out. The suggested jump to 157 isn't because he can't make 149, it's because SVN is already there (and I believe he would have won the class this year if he were healthy...) so he'd have to go up one more.
I think Kasak was a lot better at 149 than he was at 141, to be honest. I also don't think we see him at 141 again.

correct. and haines could redshirt.

But just saying that Haines is a better option than Facundo (assuming he's big enough)
Facundo borderline dominated Levi (not reading a ton into that based on weight). Was right there with Burroughs, and lost 5-5 criteria to Berger (I didn't see that match). I thought he looked really good.

All just speculation, but what would be the purpose of a Haines redshirt at this point apart from lineup Tetris? Doesn’t seem like Cael’s style. I think he’d let Levi choose his course of action and go from there.

All just speculation, but what would be the purpose of a Haines redshirt at this point apart from lineup Tetris? Doesn’t seem like Cael’s style. I think he’d let Levi choose his course of action and go from there.
I agree with you whole heartedly. But my God, can you picture Levi taking a year to lift, grow and polish his top game to Zain like.

If Levi is going up 2 weights, to allow him to build up to it. And sure it's Cael's style -- that's what he did for Zain going up 1 weight.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Yeah. Kazak certainly did not look undersized at 149. I doubt we ever see him at 141.
My comment was more toward him going to 157. I didn't see him struggling at 149 so I don't see a need to bump to 157 unless Haines redshirts. I have no idea about 141 but I don't think we need him there anyway this year. Next year is probably not possible even if it was now. Unfortunately, I see Kasak and SVN at similar weight throughout their careers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT