ADVERTISEMENT

Suriano injured.

We still haven't heard X-ray results yet, but if he's not able to put pressure on his ankle to this point, he may not be able to make Big Tens.
He likely may be able to put pressure on it 2-3 days out, but you don't do so early in rehab so as not to retrigger inflammation - which is the main cause of stiffness and pain. There is no reason (and it's very counterproductive) to tough this injury out.

Reactions: dunkej01
Daily Collegian reported that Nick was spotted on crutches with a full air cast on his foot. Any guesses on the seriousness of the injury based on what was reported?

Really impossible to judge based on that just because even with a sprain, they are going to want to keep all weight and pressure off the ankle to reduce irritation and inflammation for the first week or so

Varner not carrying him around campus? Hope he can go.

For the experts on the board......For just about any sport, if one guy is out, you put a replacement out there, man up, tweak your strategy a bit and move on. Your opponent does the same. In college wrestling, the die is cast. In or out, other 125 lb guys don't change what they do. Some inevitably count chickens. Same with the rest of the line-up, right?

giphy.gif

Reactions: hlstone
Normal procedure. There was a post by a doctor on another thread which correctly predicted and detailed the treatment: This is exactly what that poster said would happen.

Reactions: pish69
Moist, Cael emailed you and said Suriano was fine. Now you are worried about the MRI? I'm getting confused
Well I am concerned like everyone else. He did not have an MRI right after the match. MRI was on Monday....Just hope everything works out. Cael seemed pretty confident from what the trainer was saying at the match....

Daily Collegian reported that Nick was spotted on crutches with a full air cast on his foot. Any guesses on the seriousness of the injury based on what was reported?

Standard operating procedure for Ben Roethlisberger (albeit a bit of a drama queen). Not necessarily an ominous sign or indicative of where Nick will be 10 days from now.

Reactions: PennStateTurf2002
Cael said that Suriano would be "in" Indiana but did not say that he would be "wrestling"

You are right. I was happy when I heard Cael's comments and just inferred it to mean he was wrestling. I suppose he can be in Indiana as a spectator - that option did not even cross my mind. I stand corrected.

Reactions: hlstone
Cael said that Suriano would be "in" Indiana but did not say that he would be "wrestling"
Maybe he will wrestle just one match and then Inj Def....It will all depend on how much he heals during the next 10 days....I think he will be fine and win it all !!!! We will see...We have to be patient with this one guys....

I hope to make it to a practice next week....

What are the details of attending practices? Specific days/times we're allowed in? Do we need to get approval prior? Might have to attend one myself, just to see.

What are the details of attending practices? Specific days/times we're allowed in? Do we need to get approval prior? Might have to attend one myself, just to see.
During the regular season practice is open to the public to seat on the bleachers and watch. Not positive about next week yet....

Reactions: PSUranger
Not too optimistic. Cael had better things to say about Cutch last year and he was clearly hurt.

Not too optimistic. Cael had better things to say about Cutch last year and he was clearly hurt.

I believe that was before Nationals, not before B1G's. Nick only has to wrestle one or two matches at the most, then gets another 10 days to heal.

If he gets a bye, then he only needs to wrestle ONE match.

And, he can default half way through if he wants. I think...

I also thought Nick had a great shot at knocking off Gilman. However, without knowing anything at all about his injury, it's hard to imagine him winning it all at anything less than 100%.

I also thought Nick had a great shot at knocking off Gilman. However, without knowing anything at all about his injury, it's hard to imagine him winning it all at anything less than 100%.

The smart move is to wrestle one match, two if he doesn't get the bye, and then forfeit out. What matters is more time to heal, and getting in. As long as he does what is needed, he's in. Does he lose a seed or two? Probably but who cares, he's in. Then another nearly two weeks to heal and we go.

I mean, Cael went from saying, "that's something that can heal pretty fast" to "wish he had more time."

Well it's true in this case Chickenman....I hope to make it to a practice next week....
If you're hitting up a practice next week maybe I can get a day off. I'd like to meet you.
Theres always storyline or two espn likes to grab onto and run with during the NCAAs. I'm seeing them prop this one up as the talented true freshman.... suffers a late season injury that all but assures he falls short of glory....with nothing but guts, heart and determination he does the impossible and wins the whole damn thing.

Reactions: NittanyChris
If you're hitting up a practice next week maybe I can get a day off. I'd like to meet you.

Theres always storyline or two espn likes to grab onto and run with during the NCAAs. I'm seeing them prop this one up as the talented true freshman.... suffers a late season injury that all but assures he falls short of glory....with nothing but guts, heart and determination he does the impossible and wins the whole damn thing.
I wish... think they will jump on the two Olympians first

Was at the show. He wasn't overly enthusiastic in his response but perhaps was just him downplaying things. I think he will wrestle, then MF and hope for more healing going into nationals.

I have never wrestled but for those who have, if the ankle gets to a point where the pain is bearable, can he tape the heck out of it for support and wrestle fairly well? In other words are ankles a bit easier to go with than say a shoulder?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT