ADVERTISEMENT

Suriano injured.

You know that "coach speak" and outright lying are different things, right? You probably also remember Sanderson saying that Cortez was almost ready, could have gone this weekend, and held out for precautionary measures, etc.

I remember Cael saying he was out for the season, when he was out for the season. I just heard Cael say that Suriano would be alright.

I'll go with Cael, you go ahead and doubt him.

Reactions: Ski
Suriano is not out for the season. He'll be wrestling at B1Gs.

Those equating this with Cortez and "coach-speak" - aren't recalling what happened. Cael was upfront about everything. In the week leading up to Cortez return, he began to go 100% and suffered the setback. As soon as that happened, they went the surgical route. Up to that point Cortez had been following the normal recovery.

I remember Cael saying he was out for the season, when he was out for the season. I just heard Cael say that Suriano would be alright.

Your counterpoints can be very obtuse. I'll leave at that. Good day, sir.

In December he said something like, "Could be a week. Could be longer." That's not a lie, but suggesting a week implied that it wasn't that serious. Maybe Cortez re-injured it. I don't know.

Curious as to when you guys feel he sprained it. Everything I've read from posters is it seemed like nothing and he stepped funny on it.....
Watching the match live before flo put it behind paywall, it appeared more likely to me that he rolled over it funny while on the bottom. His face appeared to grimace, and then he went flat before getting to his base and then standing only to realize he couldn't put weight on it.

Anybody have the video so they can watch it again?

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Last night after listening to the match, I went onto the forum match thread. I could not believe the reaction of the Suriano injury. A majority of the comments were how stupid the national duals were and not worth wrestling in it. I personally feel proud that PSU validated that they were the best dual team in the country. His injury could of happened anytime. If they didn't participate in the duals, they would of schedule an independent match, and he could have gotten hurt in that match. Enjoy the competition.!

One, I would rather us schedule really good OOC teams on a regular basis. Two, the big ten teams have our tourney in two weeks. While other conferences have their tourneys at the same time, their tournaments are a shell of of ours. Three, the ref was influenced by the crowd and was wildly inconsistent...if the thing can't be fair, don't have it.

He clearly rolls over just before he went light on it. Clearly but not badly.

Yep, as he was standing up after getting the escape his left foot was on tiptoe and as he moved he rolled it. It didn't look to bad. What we called a twisted ankle when I was a kid. Hurt like hell but was usually fine shortly thereafter and never more than a day or so.

One, I would rather us schedule really good OOC teams on a regular basis. Two, the big ten teams have our tourney in two weeks. While other conferences have their tourneys at the same time, their tournaments are a shell of of ours. Three, the ref was influenced by the crowd and was wildly inconsistent...if the thing can't be fair, don't have it.
One might consider this good practice for the NCAA Tournament, when you sometimes have to overcome a referee and the stakes are much higher.

Yep, as he was standing up after getting the escape his left foot was on tiptoe and as he moved he rolled it. It didn't look to bad. What we called a twisted ankle when I was a kid. Hurt like hell but was usually fine shortly thereafter and never more than a day or so.

When is the coaches show this week? Find myself checking this site way too much over Nicks ankle. Hoping for the best

Reactions: diggerpup and Ski

Put him in a soft cast + walking boot X 1week + ultra short-acting antiinflammatory shot at the max tender site(only lasts 24hrs, and won't delay healing as the intermediates and longer acting ones do)...then, intense PT and continue the immobilizing taping + walking boot X 1week, while continuing the PT intensely...then at the B1Gs tape the sheatt out of his ankle/leg, possibly topical nsaids to the site throughout the course of therapy....he'll be aok!!!

Curious as to when you guys feel he sprained it. Everything I've read from posters is it seemed like nothing and he stepped funny on it.....
Watching the match live before flo put it behind paywall, it appeared more likely to me that he rolled over it funny while on the bottom. His face appeared to grimace, and then he went flat before getting to his base and then standing only to realize he couldn't put weight on it.

Anybody have the video so they can watch it again?
I saw it like you. Thought he hurt it while still on bottom - like getting it briefly caught under him

Regardless, I think the smart play here, is to get Nick well, get him a couple of matches at B1G's, then forfeit out as a precautionary measure. It won't affect much for seedings at National, I think at worst, he would go from the 2, to the 3 seed.

1. We had VaTech, Stanford and Lehigh last year, along with OSU in the national duals. This year we only had Stanford and Lehigh, to go with OSU again. I don't think a lot of teams are calling Sandy Barbour to get us on their schedule. That plus the B1G is so dominant. 6 teams in the top 10 are B1G.

3. I expect a clarification to be made on how the match was called. For one, the neutral fall non-calls. But also the stalling calls. Did the ref hold a neutral fall to a higher standard? Did he feel that Zain threw in the legs after the stand was initiated? If the calls were legit, tell us why. If the calls were made against the rules, tell us that. If the calls could have gone either way and were referee judgement, tell us that. This isn't international freestyle wresting. We have a governing body and oversight. Just tell us. Otherwise we just keep on complaining.

And for the record, change the damn rules on leg rides. It's wrong. I hate it when it isn't used for offense. Like Cruz against Jimmy, no intent to attack, just a stall ride. And Zain was clearly just riding for time. Get off him and wrestle. It might be wrestling within the rules but the rules can be changed.

Haven't seen this quote from Cael on Suriano's injury posted anywhere so forgive me if it was... its from an Okie newspaper...

“He sprained his ankle, we’ll get an X-ray just to be sure,” Sanderson said. “But he’s never really been hurt before, so he doesn’t know what that feels like. But you can be back pretty quickly from a sprained ankle, so he’ll be fine.”

A sprain would be an injury that should heal very quickly. He could pretty much by 100% in two weeks.

A sprain would be an injury that should heal very quickly. He could pretty much by 100% in two weeks.
Not passing judgment on Suriano's health/injury situation...just making a general comment about sprains. They often linger...as compared to a break, which heals. Soft tissue vs bone.

Reactions: lionlover
I'm just judging based on my own experience at that age. It all depends on the severity of the sprain, obviously. But credit to Cael for pulling Nick from the match yesterday. That was clutch by him. Any more activity would have worsened the situation and made for a longer recovery period. With proper care and taping, he should be ok.

Reactions: lionlover
I hate to break it to all of the doctors on here, but sprains range from mild to severe and include everything from stretched to torn ligaments. Recovery can take days to months depending upon severity. I'll bet some of the folks on this board have sprains that they still feel to this day, depending upon the weather and physical activity. I know I do.

Now, that being said, Suriano was putting weight on it, albeit tentatively, and he is a wildly fit athlete. Hopefully, the former indicates low severity and the latter indicates quick recover.

Suriano is not out for the season. He'll be wrestling at B1Gs.

Those equating this with Cortez and "coach-speak" - aren't recalling what happened. Cael was upfront about everything. In the week leading up to Cortez return, he began to go 100% and suffered the setback. As soon as that happened, they went the surgical route. Up to that point Cortez had been following the normal recovery.
Sorry Dice, I am out of the loop. Would you please tell me what surgery Cortez had and any prediction for a full recovery? Thanks.

I hate to break it to all of the doctors on here, but sprains range from mild to severe and include everything from stretched to torn ligaments. Recovery can take days to months depending upon severity. I'll bet some of the folks on this board have sprains that they still feel to this day, depending upon the weather and physical activity. I know I do.

Now, that being said, Suriano was putting weight on it, albeit tentatively, and he is a wildly fit athlete. Hopefully, the former indicates low severity and the latter indicates quick recover.
Spot on with this post!

Yes, but Cael emailed Spyker to say Nick's OK.

Reactions: Hotshoe
I saw it like you. Thought he hurt it while still on bottom - like getting it briefly caught under him
I re-watched several times and I agree with you. Think it happened about 10 seconds before the escape. Catches his toe then ankle rolls over to the outside. From that point, he never puts pressure on that ankle. Still manages to escape.

First thought it was right before the escape then realized I was looking at the wrong ankle. Arghhh....

I re-watched several times and I agree with you. Think it happened about 10 seconds before the escape. Catches his toe then ankle rolls over to the outside. From that point, he never puts pressure on that ankle. Still manages to escape.

First thought it was right before the escape then realized I was looking at the wrong ankle. Arghhh....

This is NOT blaming Oklahoma State, but it sure might have helped if these elite wrestlers were wrestling on an ACTUAL REGULATION wrestling mat, instead of that beaten down, 50 year old rug that those two homer officials continually had to stop matches, to REPLACE THE SCOTCH TAPE on.

I've seen better mats in basement rec rooms.

This is NOT blaming Oklahoma State, but it sure might have helped if these elite wrestlers were wrestling on an ACTUAL REGULATION wrestling mat, instead of that beaten down, 50 year old rug that those two homer officials continually had to stop matches, to REPLACE THE SCOTCH TAPE on.

It's all part of the Cowboy strategy of increased probability of lung timeouts. I've never seen so much time taken during resets.

Boone Pickens... You reading this?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT