ADVERTISEMENT

Super 32

The obtuseness of FLO:

The FLO announcer in the S32 finals (not sure his name, he's got a scratchy voice, but it's not Bader) FOUR friggin times during the 138 bout alludes to the exciting impact that the 3-point TD has, allowing the possibility of comebacks with the score 6-2 in the 2nd and 7-3 in the 3rd. Obviously, not aware that under the old rules, the score would have been 4-2 and 5-3 respectively - so it's actually a much worse comeback situation for those mathematically challenged. But I guess it's actually more exciting for simpletons because of the higher numbers!

It worries me that these low IQ types can be in a position to impact the general wrestling community's opinions of these rule changes. This guy is either clueless or has been asked to push an agenda. But I guess this is to be expected. FLO is like Facebook to me, chock full of conspiracy theories, distorted truths, and hot takes in search of the holy click and consumption by the masses.

Last edited:
The obtuseness of FLO:

The FLO announcer in the S32 finals (not sure his name, he's got a scratchy voice, but it's not Bader) FOUR friggin times during the 138 bout alludes to the exciting impact that the 3-point TD has, allowing the possibility of comebacks with the score 6-2 in the 2nd and 7-3 in the 3rd. Obviously, not aware that under the old rules, the score would have been 4-2 and 5-3 respectively - actually a worse comeback situation for those mathematically challenged.

It worries me that these low IQ types can be in a position to impact the general wrestling community's opinions of these rule changes. This guy is either clueless or has been asked to push an agenda. But I guess this is to be expected. FLO is like Facebook to me, chock full of conspiracy theories, distorted truths, and hot takes in search of the holy click and consumption by the masses.
ye, changed the sport, changed the history books (or wiill)

People talked about creating more action but reality was kids and coaches were mad that 2 TD were equal to 1 TD and 2E.

Of course, the easy answer to that is to just not give the escape and be better on top. But it’s just a further step toward de-emphasizing mat wrestling in folk, which sucks.
If you want to create more action, change riding time to it is only accrued after a takedown or reversal. Make it so the wrestler has to earn the right to accrue riding time. That would eliminate a wrestler starting a period on top and doing nothing and ends up with 2 minutes of riding time. Or just call stalling more frequently, call double stalling if you have too.

Watching the matches liked to see them letting them wrestle on the edge and seen a lot of take downs given with a lot more question calls when kids were OB or OB and they let them pull or work back in. Lawrence in My opinion wasn’t OB and should have had a TD.

Honest question and I don’t know if the answer is even out there, but wasn’t Cael in favor of the 3 point takedown?

Watching the matches liked to see them letting them wrestle on the edge and seen a lot of take downs given with a lot more question calls when kids were OB or OB and they let them pull or work back in. Lawrence in My opinion wasn’t OB and should have had a TD.
I watched it too, and he was out, no doubt about it. He was OOB just before he made the takedown, which was in bounds all the way. But the ref saw them out, and he was right.

Jeesh these McCort kids look good this weekend.
Incredible, three HS champions from the same HS program, has that ever been done before. Two sophomores and a freshmen.

Pennsylvania in general May of had their best performance ever. Just a few years back, the whispers in the back were saying PA was down and other states caught them. Think again

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Super 32 takeaways:

No 8th graders placers again. I believe this is two gears in row there wasn’t any 8th placers.

Melvin Miller is scary good. Long, fast and calm. Reminds me of a young Eddie Ruth.

My Harer Boys are good, but I had them projected way too high for national comp. HS season their schedule is weak and they won’t be touched. They still made D4 proud.

Willie seeds were spot on in most weights. Kudos to the seed king himself and to super 32 for letting someone do them who studies HS wrestling

Super 32’s second day is brutal. Too
Many kids are already doing the default out trick. College coaches need to take note of this, I would say this is a strong indicator they will do the same in the ncaa some day.

Knox and Bassett are dangerous on top which is a super power in college. Riding people is hard but turning good kids is almost a lost art. These two made it look easy this weekend. I would even add Forest to this category as well.

Rath looked better than ever going up. The kid is a beast and should consider moving up and up.

Mcort wrestlers resembled PSU wrestling loose and scoring points. Their bonus point rate was tremendous. They got things rolling down there.

M2 and Steller both wrestled tough. Steller May have had the best performance of a PA Club.

My opinions on the OWs, light weight Basset or Knox. Basset five TF the first day , Knox four TF’s the first day. Both 11-0 dominating wins in the finals over good opponents (Bassett over #4 and Knox over #7). 132 was the toughest bracket imo
Heavy weight would be Miller. The kid knocked off the #1, #2 seed. Maybe Locket

I watched it too, and he was out, no doubt about it. He was OOB just before he made the takedown, which was in bounds all the way. But the ref saw them out, and he was right.
My point was all tourny they were letting kids do that exact same thing even being completely out and giving them continuation. Looking at replay his right foot was inbounds but not on mat sure his toe was out but they weren’t calling that.

Many kids are already doing the default out trick. College coaches need to take note of this, I would say this is a strong indicator they will do the same in the ncaa some day.
College coaches should definitely be concerned that guys might forfeit out of an NCAA pre-season event with approximately 87 consolation rounds.

Huge red flag.

Super 32 takeaways:

No 8th graders placers again. I believe this is two gears in row there wasn’t any 8th placers.

Melvin Miller is scary good. Long, fast and calm. Reminds me of a young Eddie Ruth.

My Harer Boys are good, but I had them projected way too high for national comp. HS season their schedule is weak and they won’t be touched. They still made D4 proud.

Willie seeds were spot on in most weights. Kudos to the seed king himself and to super 32 for letting someone do them who studies HS wrestling

Knox and Bassett are dangerous on top which is a super power in college. Riding people is hard but turning good kids is almost a lost art. These two made it look easy this weekend. I would even add Forest to this category as well.

Rath looked better than ever going up. The kid is a beast and should consider moving up and up.

Mcort wrestlers resembled PSU wrestling loose and scoring points. Their bonus point rate was tremendous. They got things rolling down there.

M2 and Steller both wrestled tough. Steller May have had the best performance of a PA Club.

My opinions on the OWs, light weight Basset or Knox. Basset five TF the first day , Knox four TF’s the first day. Both 11-0 dominating wins in the finals over good opponents (Bassett over #4 and Knox over #7). 132 was the toughest bracket imo
are-you-serious-clark-clark.gif

sounds like Rath is down to psu or nebraska with missouri an outside shot.

at this point though, i think it would be borderline silly to be a Top 25 guy at a middle weight and go to psu.

At 41/49
3 years of Van Ness
5 years of Kasak
and Dalton Perry to boot

At 157/165
3 years of Levi
5 year of Sealey
5 years of Duke

I guess there is a path for Rath to work if Kasak is a career 141 and Rath a 149.

First time seeing the 3-point TD and one thing I already hate:

The third period is tied and you get taken down with under a minute to go. You can't get a reversal and ride out to tie the score. Reversal is almost useless. You have to score two moves to go ahead (escape, TD) or there need to be 3 scoring moves (reversal, release, TD) if you score a reversal.

If you get taken down with under a minute to go, it's going to be very, very hard to not lose the match. You've essentially taken Sudden Death and extended it into the last regulation of the match. Which is going to have the reverse effect of what they want to accomplish.

Makes no sense to me that a TD is worth more than a reversal unless you just want to eliminate mat wrestling.

I tried to make this point from the beginning. I'm o.k. with 3 point takedowns if there are 3 point reversals as well.

at this point though, i think it would be borderline silly to be a Top 25 guy at a middle weight and go to psu.

At 41/49
3 years of Van Ness
5 years of Kasak
and Dalton Perry to boot

At 157/165
3 years of Levi
5 year of Sealey
5 years of Duke

I guess there is a path for Rath to work if Kasak is a career 141 and Rath a 149.
Good plan

Willie what’s your predictions on OW?

Should be Knox or Bassett for light weight

Upper weights Miller or Lockett

Last edited:
Willie what’s your predictions on OW?

Should be Knox or Bassett for light weight

Upper weights Miller or Lockett

Knox. he bonused through S32. i'm gonna go look it up, but i don't think anyone's done that.

Bo had the deepest weight (8 of Top 10). And dominated. i think there's a little less 'exclamation' about it b/c he didn't have to go through Davino. If Davino beat Vega and Bo beat Davino I think it would have made the tough decision even tougher.

What Melvin did is beyond rare. to be honest, that's who i initially wanted to give it to.

and LJ Araujo. what a tourney. beat #2, majored #7 and then beat Bambinelli (who loves psu, btw).

At 41/49
3 years of Van Ness
5 years of Kasak
and Dalton Perry to boot

At 157/165
3 years of Levi
5 year of Sealey
5 years of Duke

Agreed but this is the age of the great equalizer, NIL + the Portal.

There are worse things in life for a recruit to invest their redshirt year ( or grey + red) with Cael to get a lay of the land to see if they can win a slot or not. Every other program in the country will be salivating (with NIL in hand) over the blue chip kids who are AA ready freshmen looking for a new home if PSU isn't the path.

To be clear, do I like it? Not one iotta, but it seems it is a new reality.

Too bad they are iowa fans. They wrestled with my son at Forest Hills till all the shet went down. Honestly though if you watch them they are iowa style Gibson's included I am truly shocked they picked PSU but not disapointed.

Basset and Knox, idk that ones tough, heavy has to go to the frosh Miller not 100% over looked but no one thought champ especially the way it went down he's got my vote.

Lockett did not impress gassed and lucky (if you consider that a thing) at the end of the final.

My point was all tourny they were letting kids do that exact same thing even being completely out and giving them continuation. Looking at replay his right foot was inbounds but not on mat sure his toe was out but they
In live time I thought they were way out, in replay it was a nope close but nope. they were in but they did blow they whistle before he had control, a bad whistle yes but no evidence to over turn it.... SUCKS!!!! As my son wrestled with him too at all american. I was super bummed! I'm sure he'll get his revenge!

Don't know how to post it, there is a "X" tweet showing Basset standing with Spencer, posted by Mineo

Too bad they are iowa fans. They wrestled with my son at Forest Hills till all the shet went down. Honestly though if you watch them they are iowa style Gibson's included I am truly shocked they picked PSU but not disapointed.
They picked Cornell first.

Must have been terribly difficult for them to turn down their Dream School twice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT