ADVERTISEMENT

PA Highschool season is HERE

BrockBronson

May 20, 2021
Lots of great events going on this weekend. I am excited to watch how the Cumberland Valley Kickoff plays out. Some tough programs there: Nazareth, McDevitt, Montgomery. Some big time potential matchups.

The Top Hat is always a good one. Lots of D4 schools attend that one. The competition is down alittle the last few years.

Faith Academy VS Sem? This should be a great match up.
Sem wins the dual but it will be close. Faith gets wins from Bachman, Botero, Waters and Efferdian.
Sem wins Luke, Botello, Sealey, Jude, Bouzakis, Evanitsky
Toss up at the rest.
This match is great for the sport! Great job to the coaches and teams for getting after it

Lots of great events going on this weekend. I am excited to watch how the Cumberland Valley Kickoff plays out. Some tough programs there: Nazareth, McDevitt, Montgomery. Some big time potential matchups.

The Top Hat is always a good one. Lots of D4 schools attend that one. The competition is down alittle the last few years.

Sem wins the dual but it will be close. Faith gets wins from Bachman, Botero, Waters and Efferdian.
Toss up at the rest.
This match is great for the sport! Great job to the coaches and teams for getting after it
I would bet my house that Botero doesn't win.

Reactions: dicemen99

Toss up at the rest.
Brock can you please post a link to your individual rankings?

I been a AA guy forever. For the first time AA is deeper than AAA in just about every weight.
D4 AA is still the deepest district. There is going to be some wars as always

D10 AA is usually pretty stout. It’s likely to get more difficult with the classification changes next cycle as well. Hickory will be coming back down to AA, Harbor Creek will head up to AAA, and somehow Cathedral Prep is AA eligible (my gut says they’ll opt up or be forced up). That’s not to mention several perennially tough programs like Ft. LeBoeuf, Reynolds, General McLane and Greenville. Even more so when it shifts to the NW region and D9 is added to the mix

D10 AAA, on the other hand, is a joke nowadays.

Little Harer is on fire. He looks great at 133. Who does everyone got: him or Mutarelli. Parkins Vs Baum should be a humdinger.

I just heard Sem and Faith isn’t real close on the scoreboard but lots of close matches. Bachman starts off with a win and Sem won the rest until waters.
That tells you how good Sem U is. Faith could have one of the best PIAA teams of all time and Sem smokes them. Props to Faith coaches for taking that on and going after it. Then Ironman next year.

I been a AA guy forever. For the first time AA is deeper than AAA in just about every weight.
D4 AA is still the deepest district. There is going to be some wars as always
What does depth mean to you? If you put on a dual match between all of the #5 AAA kids vs all of the #5 AA kids, and then another match between all of the #6 AAA kids vs. #6 AA kids all the way down to whatever number you want, I have little doubt that AAA wins every one of those duals and as you go #10 or lower the dual meet score might look something like 50-6. When I think of depth, that's what I think of.

If you are talking about the very top kids, then, yes, AA, probably stacks up with AAA better than they have in a while. You can thank FCA and McCort for that. But that is not what I would call depth, nor is that anything extraordinary if you look at the history of PIAA wrestling. There are some damn good kids in AA, just like there are in AAA. Just fewer of them. It's a numbers thing.

Harer wins 4-3 in an interesting match. Got the first takedown and 2 swipes to go up 4-0. Mutarelli gets a takedown in the second and then rides the rest of the 2nd and 3rd almost getting backs 3-4 times (and probably should have if the ref was ready to swipe) but only earning 1 stall point

There was a moderate sized upset in the Hickory Tournament R16 where returning SQ Sierra Chiesa of Northwestern was upset 8-7 by Ridgway freshman Nathan Steger. Steger took 6th at PJW JH states last year.

According to the scoring summary on Flo, it was a back and forth affair with Steger getting the go ahead reversal with about 1:46 left in the 3rd

Harer wins 4-3 in an interesting match. Got the first takedown and 2 swipes to go up 4-0. Mutarelli gets a takedown in the second and then rides the rest of the 2nd and 3rd almost getting backs 3-4 times (and probably should have if the ref was ready to swipe) but only earning 1 stall point
This was a good match. I knew it would be close. Brandt is getting big and strong

Yes, Harer came out like a ball of fire and dominated the first period, before Mutarelli turned around and dominated the 2nd and 3rd.

Good call on the swipes, there were 3 or 4 close calls that could have been either or, but the first set in the 3rd was the one the ref didn't start his swipe until he walked all the way back from the rear to the front of the wrestlers. You could probably hear me in the background yelling at him to get his lazy, fat as# in gear. Two great wrestlers to going at it and you've got a guy lolligagging it like it was a JV match the whole time.

Very good match with good takeaways for each of the kids.

Yes, Harer came out like a ball of fire and dominated the first period, before Mutarelli turned around and dominated the 2nd and 3rd.

Good call on the swipes, there were 3 or 4 close calls that could have been either or, but the first set in the 3rd was the one the ref didn't start his swipe until he walked all the way back from the rear to the front of the wrestlers. You could probably hear me in the background yelling at him to get his lazy, fat as# in gear. Two great wrestlers to going at it and you've got a guy lolligagging it like it was a JV match the whole time.

Very good match with good takeaways for each of the kids.
I agree on the ref, one of my biggest pet peeves with HS wrestling is refs who aren't capable of keeping up with these elite kids (both physically and technically).

Also it sucks that these two won't hit again this season, I really wish Montgomery had a tougher in season schedule or even just sent the Harer's to big tournaments by themselves

HS rankings are seriously hard to put together, especially prior to the season. But yours are pretty good. Some weights are way off but understandable as most havnt wrestled yet.

Benton weights are pretty far off. The younger Brokenshire will start off at 145, Eckroth (moved in recently, Dad was a Marine and is gonna be pretty tough for a middleweightFreshman) will man 152, and the older Brokenshire will be 160. Think the plan is for all of them to slide down one weight for the post season.

Eckroth was like an early Christmas present. Hope they stick around for the next four years.

D4 got another great one coming, Brock Rothermel wins Top Hat as a Freshmen. This event is loaded.

HS rankings are seriously hard to put together, especially prior to the season. But yours are pretty good. Some weights are way off but understandable as most havnt wrestled yet.

Benton weights are pretty far off. The younger Brokenshire will start off at 145, Eckroth (moved in recently, Dad was a Marine and is gonna be pretty tough for a middleweightFreshman) will man 152, and the older Brokenshire will be 160. Think the plan is for all of them to slide down one weight for the post season.
Thanks for the info. Benton had zero info in track. That's why their weights are so far off. I am also just hearing about Eckroth from this post. Look for him in the new rankings coming soon.

Kid is really really good but wrestled age group level with our kids who are Juniors this year. The whole outstanding freshman thing kinda wears off on double hold backs.
Well said rhino. In Hs this matters, in college it doesn’t nearly as much. You never hear oh this kid was a hold back cause it all levels out but in HS it most definitely does.
This is something HS should look at. Bring the Eligible age to 18, which is still on the old side

Reactions: ChillW
Thanks for the info. Benton had zero info in track. That's why their weights are so far off. I am also just hearing about Eckroth from this post. Look for him in the new rankings coming soon.
Eckroth wrestled for Benton jr high all last season.

Eckroth wrestled for Benton jr high all last season.
Yes, the moved back to Benton about a year and a half ago. His family is from here, retured from the Marine Corps and moved back. Tough kid, doubt he's a state placer or anything like that but tons of potential. Saw him a few weeks ago lose 1-0 to a AAA regional qualifier. If he puts the work in he'll be one to watch out for along with Dylan Brokenshire.

Reactions: jpsolo
The Darren Klingerman tournament should have some good matches. I am excited to see Warrior Runs team. They have a chance to make some noise at the state level this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT