ADVERTISEMENT

Stevens

If Penn State is winning by 28 going into the 4th, Stevens or Clifford would finish the game. That's not a point anyone needed to advocate.

Are you sure? Against Pitt with 6:17 to go in the 4th McSorley was still in the game when Mark Allen scored to go up by 44-6. There was little more than 4 minutes left once Clifford came in. At least he was allowed to throw it.

Reactions: grinagrin
I think Franklin should kick Trace in the nuts just after announcing Tommy as the starter.

MAKE. A. STATEMENT. :eek:

especially when the season is realistically down to a minor bowl.
Gee, I thought we lost two in a row last year and went on to a NY6 bowl. I wished I would have realized at that time we were down to just a minor bowl, it would have saved me a lot of time.

The approach to the second game of the season against a non-con team PSU would be happy to run
Are you sure? Against Pitt with 6:17 to go in the 4th McSorley was still in the game when Mark Allen scored to go up by 44-6. There was little more than 4 minutes left once Clifford came in. At least he was allowed to throw it.
the second game, out of conference, against Pitt, getting ready for a big season with new WRs, needing to show off the strength of our team, still selling tickets, lobbying pollsters, hoping for playoff consideration, etc. You may disagree but from where nearly every cfb fan is viewing Penn State, the situation and motivations were very different.

Gee, I thought we lost two in a row last year and went on to a NY6 bowl. I wished I would have realized at that time we were down to just a minor bowl, it would have saved me a lot of time.

If they win out sure. But everyone’s been posting about expectations being too high. It’s probably unreasonable to expect them to run the table. After losing to MSU, last years remaining regular season schedule was rutgers, nebraska and Maryland, they all finished with losing records (4-8). This years remaining schedule is a tad more difficult. You predicting a final record of 10-2?

Yes, a minor bowl is at this point a realistic expectation. Is winning out possible? Sure. It's also possible that Alabama will lose three games too. Neither is likely.

The biggest hurdle is Ann Arbor. Even if we believe the teams are of comparable strength, this year the B1G isn't going to allow a fair fight. Michigan will get the calls, or we will have to play an overly clean game relative to the other side. Either way, it's a huge disadvantage. It's like playing against more than 11 on the other side.

When I see B1G officials screw over OSU or Michigan a few times while they're still in the running then I'll believe certain events (including this year) were just incompetence and we have true equity in the league. Until then, seeing is believing.

Reactions: Delco Lion
This "best ever" stuff is wild. He is not the best QB in PSU history. That was very obviously Kerry Collins and Trace, while good, is not really that close. There were others, like Michael Robinson, who were more "clutch" than Trace and would have won the Rose Bowl, OSU in 2017 and 2018 and MSU in 2017 and 2018.

What else does your crystal ball say?

If they win out sure. But everyone’s been posting about expectations being too high. It’s probably unreasonable to expect them to run the table. After losing to MSU, last years remaining regular season schedule was rutgers, nebraska and Maryland, they all finished with losing records (4-8). This years remaining schedule is a tad more difficult. You predicting a final record of 10-2?
Not if they bail on the season and start playing second stringers to get ready for next year. That’s kind of my point....a coach can’t give up on a season where they’re 5-2 with five games left.

Relieving a starter with a backup after the starter's job (winning the game) is essentially done, isn't benching him.

Where did I say it was?

I was responding to this post (below) and simply provided examples of other QBs of Traces accomplishments sitting. Showing that it is not the way "all coaches" play it. Jesus christ.

Trace isn’t sitting any more than he has the past two years. It’s the way all coaches would play it with a QB with McSorleys accomplishments
Not if they bail on the season and start playing second stringers to get ready for next year. That’s kind of my point....a coach can’t give up on a season where they’re 5-2 with five games left.

I agree at 2 losses. What's your threshold? 3rd loss? 4th?

Where did I say it was?

I was responding to this post (below) and simply provided examples of other QBs of Traces accomplishments sitting. Showing that it is not the way "all coaches" play it. Jesus christ.

I agree at 2 losses. What's your threshold? 3rd loss? 4th?
I don’t think it matters how many losses...Trace is the QB and should be for the remainder of the season. I’m not sure why that’s even being questioned. He’s earned that. And I don’t think giving Stevens some occasional snaps is going to make much of a difference next year. Play every game with your best chance to win.

There is no threshold. Show me an example where a QB of McSorleys level was benched to get the backup more experience. It’s a rediculous discussion

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Yes, a minor bowl is at this point a realistic expectation. Is winning out possible? Sure. It's also possible that Alabama will lose three games too. Neither is likely.

The biggest hurdle is Ann Arbor. Even if we believe the teams are of comparable strength, this year the B1G isn't going to allow a fair fight. Michigan will get the calls, or we will have to play an overly clean game relative to the other side. Either way, it's a huge disadvantage. It's like playing against more than 11 on the other side.

When I see B1G officials screw over OSU or Michigan a few times while they're still in the running then I'll believe certain events (including this year) were just incompetence and we have true equity in the league. Until then, seeing is believing.

Do you consider New Years Day bowls minor? Cause it looks like we're going to end up in the Outback or Citrus

No coach ever bails on a season. Honestly it's one of those bad message board myths that is on par with a unicorn. The message you send to the rest of the team is I'll quit on you too your senior year if we're eliminated.

Reactions: AWS1022
Do you consider New Years Day bowls minor? Cause it looks like we're going to end up in the Outback or Citrus

Semantics is a pointless discussion. Let's just say that NY6 is a clear distinguishing line, which this year is unlikely. If I were on the team Orlando would be preferred as a destination to Atlanta, even though Peach is NY6, so there's that aspect of it. I might even prefer the Outback to the Peach or Cotton bowls if it were not for the game being a lesser opponent. Bowl wins are not what they used to be. It's a heavily diluted post season.

Semantics is a pointless discussion. Let's just say that NY6 is a clear distinguishing line, which this year is unlikely. If I were on the team Orlando would be preferred as a destination to Atlanta, even though Peach is NY6, so there's that aspect of it. I might even prefer the Outback to the Peach or Cotton bowls if it were not for the game being a lesser opponent. Bowl wins are not what they used to be. It's a heavily diluted post season.

Oh ok, now the details don't matter. Just keep spouting nonsense then

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT