ADVERTISEMENT

Stevens

bkmtnittany1

Jan 12, 2014
was he hurt? The reason I ask is we spent a shitload of time getting him involved in the first drive of OSU game, which I thought was stupid, and yesterday he never sees the field. If he was hurt ok, but you woulda thought we would do something with him during a bye week.

Yes, I was thinking that at least he would be used as a decoy. MSU would watch the OSU film and defend it. We could take advantage by doing a variation on what we showed in the past. Not to be. Maybe not in the playbook.

Instead, my guess is Franklin did not want to risk any criticism if he put Tommy on the field and, for whatever reason, those plays did not work. If I'm Tommy, I'd be pissed -- a heck of an athlete and quarterback who would be starting almost anywhere else. Ironically, in the end it appears he will get benched for the season because he did not catch a low throw from the starting QB.

I know it's harsh and some people won't agree but, Trace's time at PSU should be over. He had a great run but, we are out of playoff and BIG Champ contention. Those were the goals for his final year. Time to look to the future. If Stevens is to be the QB to lead the team in 2019, we would dramatically increase his chances of success by letting him play the final 6 games of this season.

Reactions: gslachta
I know it's harsh and some people won't agree but, Trace's time at PSU should be over. He had a great run but, we are out of playoff and BIG Champ contention. Those were the goals for his final year. Time to look to the future. If Stevens is to be the QB to lead the team in 2019, we would dramatically increase his chances of success by letting him play the final 6 games of this season.
Really ? 3 weeks ago people on here were saying TM was the best player all time in NCAA HISTORY? TM plays unless he is hurt

Trace might very well be the best quarterback who has ever attended this school. He gives the team the best chance to win each week. We would be putting ourselves at a disadvantage if any quarterback on the roster takes a meaningful snap this season over a healthy Trace.

And I think assuming Stevens is going to be the starter in 2019 is premature. I haven’t seen anything to suggest he’s a better option as a quarterback (not as just a runner) than Clifford.

Really ? 3 weeks ago people on here were saying TM was the best player all time in NCAA HISTORY? TM plays unless he is hurt

And jalen hurts led alabama to back to back title games and what’s he doing now? Whoever the qb is next year needs to start getting meaningful snaps. I can already see the excuses next year about unreasonable expectations with a first year starting QB after the first loss, and then subsequently in 2020 with whoever is starting after tommy. 2021 is definitely our year tho!

Yes, I was thinking that at least he would be used as a decoy. MSU would watch the OSU film and defend it. We could take advantage by doing a variation on what we showed in the past. Not to be. Maybe not in the playbook.

Instead, my guess is Franklin did not want to risk any criticism if he put Tommy on the field and, for whatever reason, those plays did not work. If I'm Tommy, I'd be pissed -- a heck of an athlete and quarterback who would be starting almost anywhere else. Ironically, in the end it appears he will get benched for the season because he did not catch a low throw from the starting QB.

Decoy?

I do hear ya sir but that decoy sheet don't work if he is not directly involved in the play; otherwise we are playing offense 10 on 11.

Trace might very well be the best quarterback who has ever attended this school. He gives the team the best chance to win each week. We would be putting ourselves at a disadvantage if any quarterback on the roster takes a meaningful snap this season over a healthy Trace.

And I think assuming Stevens is going to be the starter in 2019 is premature. I haven’t seen anything to suggest he’s a better option as a quarterback (not as just a runner) than Clifford.

This "best ever" stuff is wild. He is not the best QB in PSU history. That was very obviously Kerry Collins and Trace, while good, is not really that close. There were others, like Michael Robinson, who were more "clutch" than Trace and would have won the Rose Bowl, OSU in 2017 and 2018 and MSU in 2017 and 2018.

3 weeks ago we didn't have back to back division losses. Stevens was the ultimate team player after losing the job to Trace. Trace is gone after this season. Winning a couple extra games with Trace as the starter does nothing for the team. Getting players, who are coming back next year, much needed experience is good for the team. It wouldn't just be Trace. Any player in their last year would be getting less playing time the rest of the year. They had their shot. Time to give the next in line their shot.

Reactions: psupride1997
I think Trace is the starter, has earned it and gives the team the best chance of winning.

With that said, CJF has made it clear he intends to both develop talent and keep players fresh through rotation. I know many will disagree, but I think the same applies to the QB position (meaningful snaps)

Otherwise instead of inexperience we will be hearing in 2019 that we're breaking in a new QB.

3 weeks ago we didn't have back to back division losses. Stevens was the ultimate team player after losing the job to Trace. Trace is gone after this season. Winning a couple extra games with Trace as the starter does nothing for the team. Getting players, who are coming back next year, much needed experience is good for the team. It wouldn't just be Trace. Any player in their last year would be getting less playing time the rest of the year. They had their shot. Time to give the next in line their shot.

Yes, but.. it's the reality of college football.

Who can forget: Kevin Thompson playing while Rashard Casey got practically zero minutes; Zach Mills starting throughout the most horrible seasons in modern PSU history while Michael Robinson was a situational RB; Anthony Morelli playing while Darryl Clark sat; Hackenberg playing until the bitter end while McSorley sat. Even Kerry Collins played behind John Sacca for a while.

Trace isn’t sitting any more than he has the past two years. It’s the way all coaches would play it with a QB with McSorleys accomplishments

Reactions: mn78psu83
Trace isn’t sitting any more than he has the past two years. It’s the way all coaches would play it with a QB with McSorleys accomplishments
Saban might have put Clifford in last night. But he may be one of a handful who would have done that

Saban and Dabo had QBs that accomplished more than Trace. Both benched said QBs this season.

Wow. Just. Wow.

Both did it to try and win the championship, not to get reps for next year. And Stevens is no Lawrence or Tau.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Trace get "benched" anymore than they might suggest that Miles Sanders should get "benched." What is being said is that underclassmen need to get meaningful reps, especially when the season is realistically down to a minor bowl.

Regarding quarterback substitution, I think most coaches are more concerned about hurting confidence or creating controversy if a backup happens to perform well. In fact I thought this was one of JVP's biggest flaws, and yet staffs of late seem to be even more conservative while at the same time they run a higher risk offense. Makes no sense.

I remember McSorley being on the field during the Pitt game when the score was way out of hand. If playing the #2 is that much of a risk then what are we really expecting when that #2 takes over as #1.

In this offense, if the QB runs hard, he's going to take punishment. That punishment will take its toll in the passing game. There is no getting around this. A backup should play more if this is the offense going forward.

Reactions: Nittany_93
I’m curious how Saban and Sweeney’s brilliant moves affect their recruiting of the next greatest QB. There’s something to be said for loyalty and commitment. Quit chasing the shiny penny all of the time.

I’m curious how Saban and Sweeney’s brilliant moves affect their recruiting of the next greatest QB. There’s something to be said for loyalty and commitment. Quit chasing the shiny penny all of the time.

They get to go in and tell kids if you're better you wont need to worry about sitting behind someone just because they have seniority.

Clemson currently has the #3 dual threat QB in the country committed in 2019. Bama has the #6 and #8 pro passers including Tua's younger brother.

I see a lot of “We” in some of these posts.
Who is “We”? Because nobody posting on these message boards has anything remotely significant invested in this team.
You expect a coach to kick one of the best players this program has ever produced to the curb because the team is no longer in contention for a championship???
What kind of message does that send to the rest of the team? What kind of message does that send to recruits?
This is one of the most absurd posts I have ever read on this board.
One more question: Have you ever been actively involved in athletics other than as a fan?

I see a lot of “We” in some of these posts.
Who is “We”? Because nobody posting on these message boards has anything remotely significant invested in this team.
You expect a coach to kick one of the best players this program has ever produced to the curb because the team is no longer in contention for a championship???
What kind of message does that send to the rest of the team? What kind of message does that send to recruits?
This is one of the most absurd posts I have ever read on this board.
One more question: Have you ever been actively involved in athletics other than as a fan?
First of all, I do not have any problem with fans using "We". Fans have all kinds of investments with the teams they follow. There is an emotional investment, time investment and a financial investment as well. I have traveled from Georgia to State College for every home game except 2 since moving to Macon three years ago. The only games I missed were when my Father-in-law was in hospice. I have also traveled to away games at Northwestern & Maryland and Bowl games in Jacksonville Florida and Glendale Arizona. I do not know what your definition of "remotely significant" is, but there certainly is a fan investment.

Second, I do agree that you don't want a coach to kick one of the best players this program has ever produced to the curb because the team is no longer in contention for a championship. I don't see a problem giving more reps to players for experience purposes. Just not by benching players because a championship is no longer attainable.

For the record I participated in organized sports through my high school days. I was not the most gifted athlete, but had a reputation for giving 100% during practice and when I got my chances to play, no matter the score.

I know it sucks to lose when you have a chance to win and let it slip away. "We Are" closing the talent gap. "We Are" recruiting at a high level. "We Are" going in the right direction. Keep the faith.

I get tired of these sanctimonious comments that fans can’t use we when describing their team. That’s what fans do and have always done. Everyone in the stands and on this board realize they aren’t players

MaconNitt,
My point is you have a significant— I’ll even say impressive— investment in your personal entertainment. We are all just spectators in the arena, not participants on the arena’s field of play. While everyone is entitled to an opinion, those thoughts are just outside noise (and should be nothing more) to the real participants.
Anyone who has ever had a significant investment with a team playing in the arena would quickly recognize the absurdity of benching a superior player for his backup based solely on remaining eligibility. Coach Franklin would almost assuredly lose his credibility with his current players and future recruits if he would make such a move.

No- he has 1 year left after this one and he should have taken his talents elsewhere. Don't know what the staff told him to keep him at PSU but he's certainly being unrewarded from my perspective.
And I think Sean Clifford will prove to be the better QB. I am biased though since I’ve been on the Clifford bandwagon since I watched his high school videos. So far, Sean has done nothing to prove me wrong; quite the opposite.

Reactions: 81b&w and mn78psu83
Stevens use in the Lion position is a gimmick. He wouldn’t make third string at RB, WR, or TE and I think that Sean Clifford has a good shot at beating him out next year at QB. He is a good RPO QB and has similar skills to Trace, but Clifford may be the best passer on the team.

Reactions: mn78psu83
MaconNitt,
My point is you have a significant— I’ll even say impressive— investment in your personal entertainment. We are all just spectators in the arena, not participants on the arena’s field of play. While everyone is entitled to an opinion, those thoughts are just outside noise (and should be nothing more) to the real participants.
Anyone who has ever had a significant investment with a team playing in the arena would quickly recognize the absurdity of benching a superior player for his backup based solely on remaining eligibility. Coach Franklin would almost assuredly lose his credibility with his current players and future recruits if he would make such a move.

ummm??? I thought we agreed on the absurdity of benching.....as for my personal entertainment, I do it because I enjoy it, not to be impressive. No one who knows me would call me impressive. I do things because I enjoy them. About the only thing I do that I don't always enjoy is golf :rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT