ADVERTISEMENT

State tournaments

Josh Barr wins his first match 23-7. Almost feel sorry for the other kid. The recording is horrible! No one is behind the camera so it’s just set up to capture the mat but unfortunately it only gets about half of the mat. Miss quite a bit of action. Hopefully going forward they will have someone operating the cameras
No pin....BUST

I'm curious to see how Barr does. One of my favorite prospects, but I love him for the same reasons I loved Riggins. And Riggins hasn't been good. Volume attackers who use their length to get to legs. Often finish from extended positions. Riggins struggled to navigate those finishes against college comp. That's where my projection was off (so far). I *think* barr has more juice so I'm holding strong on my eval, but I can't wait to see him navigate folkstyle scrambling.

I'm curious to see how Barr does. One of my favorite prospects, but I love him for the same reasons I loved Riggins. And Riggins hasn't been good. Volume attackers who use their length to get to legs. Often finish from extended positions. Riggins struggled to navigate those finishes against college comp. That's where my projection was off (so far). I *think* barr has more juice so I'm holding strong on my eval, but I can't wait to see him navigate folkstyle scrambling.
I think Riggins will still end up doing very well but I also think that Barr is a level above as a recruit. Your analysis is right on however Barr has finished those positions against top level competition though even if it was at the high school level. Watching all of his matches today he is definitely going to need to develop some better set-ups. He has very good fakes and movement but shoots from space without a great set-up quite a bit. At this level he is just so much better than his opponents it isn’t an issue but it will be an adjustment moving forward at the next level. I truly believe that he is going to be great though and have a similar career to the past greats that have recently come through the program

Last edited:
As for the “which fan base is racist” discussion. It’s a zero sum game. Both Pennsylvania and Iowa have a ton of racists. It’s a sad fact of life that is mostly true of the majority of US states. Maybe the brand or overtness of racism changes in different states, but it’s still there. I’m sure PSU has tons of gross fans, I’m sure Iowa does as well. Don’t think it’s fair to say either defines a fan base.

Additionally, racists tend to be a lot less racist when they’re rooting for an athlete on *their* team. Always amuses me how that works.

Was told Fricchione basically committed on his own accord. So maybe he makes it to PSU, but he’ll be walking on if he does so.
I don’t know him but saw him wrestle at the state tournament and a few weeks ago and I suspect the shoulder brace has something to do with why he isn’t looking as sharp as he did last year. Hope if it is an injury he is suffering from he is able to fully recover

Mtv Reality Tv GIF

NJ kids and shoulder injuries…I’ll get to the bottom of this

Reactions: tack8 and danoftw
Couple of my club guys went back-to-back champs at 152/160 in MN tonight. A HWT 3rd, and a 5th placer in our Girls State tournament.

The JUCO HWT I work with took 8th.

After I get lunch with the ol' lady, I'll finally get to be a fan tomorrow.
congrats! Makes you feel good, eh?

Reactions: CropDuster507
As for the “which fan base is racist” discussion. It’s a zero sum game. Both Pennsylvania and Iowa have a ton of racists. It’s a sad fact of life that is mostly true of the majority of US states. Maybe the brand or overtness of racism changes in different states, but it’s still there. I’m sure PSU has tons of gross fans, I’m sure Iowa does as well. Don’t think it’s fair to say either defines a fan base.

Additionally, racists tend to be a lot less racist when they’re rooting for an athlete on *their* team. Always amuses me how that works.

“a ton of racists”? Let’s be real. I don’t argue that there are racists, but I will argue that there are a substantial number of race-baiters as well.

I'm sort of surprised the mods tolerate this topic, since it's primarily unsubstantiated assertions that aren't really about wrestling.

I still remember some of the various board takes when the wrestler from NJ was given the "choice" between forfeiting and getting his "unnatural" hair cut matside. Remember those good ole days... like when Rasheed nearly experienced his headcovering misplacement debacle?

I'm still waiting for all the finger injuries to skyrocket since the rules were changed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT