ADVERTISEMENT

State tournaments

zzs006

Mar 27, 2017
Dual and individual state tournaments are going on throughout the country. Thought we should have a place to put results and talk about them

Oklahoma dual state tournament is happening now. 6A has some really great teams and kids but Stillwater might just be the best team in the entire country especially with Brayden Thompson moving in. They have…

106-Ayden Thomas-#22 in the country
113-Beric Jordan #2 in the country
120-Sam Smith-#21 in the country
126-JJ McComas-#20 in the country
132-Cael Hughes #1 in the country
150-Kael Voinovich #9 in the country
157-Ladarion Lockett #3 in the country
190-AJ Heeg #7 in the country
215-Brayden Thompson #1 in the country

That is some serious firepower! I can’t believe they have Thompson wrestling up at 215 but I guess either he or Heeg has to go there since they can’t both compete at 190. Edmond North did beat Stillwater in a dual 33-31 earlier this year but that was without Thompson. Edmond North and Stillwater are both in the semifinals and should meet in the finals in what would be an amazing dual

Reactions: danoftw
Where are these studs committed?
Aydan Thomas Uncommitted
Beric Jordan Okie St
Sam Smith Okie St
JJ McComas Uncommitted
Cael Hughes Okie St
Kael Voinovich Uncommitted
LaDarion Lockett Uncommitted
AJ Heeg Okie St
Brayden Thompson Okie St

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
Aydan Thomas Uncommitted
Beric Jordan Okie St
Sam Smith Okie St
JJ McComas Uncommitted
Cael Hughes Okie St
AJ Heeg Okie St
Brayden Thompson Okie St
I’d be shocked if Voinovich doesn’t go to Okie State as well since his brother is there. Lockett is the one I’m curious about though. On straight talent he might be the best of the bunch but he’s taken a few head scratching losses this past year. When he is on though boy is he good

Aydan Thomas Uncommitted
Beric Jordan Okie St
Sam Smith Okie St
JJ McComas Uncommitted
Cael Hughes Okie St
AJ Heeg Okie St
Brayden Thompson Okie St
Can all but put Voinovich in the OKST camp too. His brother starts at 149 for Smith. Family moved from Ohio when Victor enrolled.

Stillwater got revenge on Edmond North winning 38-22. Stillwater also forfeited 215. Brayden Thompson wrestled at 215 in previous duals but didn’t compete against Edmond North

Iowa individual state tournament is going on now. Semifinals are today and finals tomorrow. Should see round 4 of Gabe Arnold vs Tate Naaktgeboren. Ben Kueter should walk to another title. He got a first round bye followed by a :14 pin and then a :12 pin. Kid is so good

Dual and individual state tournaments are going on throughout the country. Thought we should have a place to put results and talk about them

Oklahoma dual state tournament is happening now. 6A has some really great teams and kids but Stillwater might just be the best team in the entire country especially with Brayden Thompson moving in. They have…

106-Ayden Thomas-#22 in the country
113-Beric Jordan #2 in the country
120-Sam Smith-#21 in the country
126-JJ McComas-#20 in the country
132-Cael Hughes #1 in the country
150-Kael Voinovich #9 in the country
157-Ladarion Lockett #3 in the country
190-AJ Heeg #7 in the country
215-Brayden Thompson #1 in the country

That is some serious firepower! I can’t believe they have Thompson wrestling up at 215 but I guess either he or Heeg has to go there since they can’t both compete at 190. Edmond North did beat Stillwater in a dual 33-31 earlier this year but that was without Thompson. Edmond North and Stillwater are both in the semifinals and should meet in the finals in what would be an amazing dual
still doubt they beat Wyoming Sem or Blair!!

Does he have a relative named Nosy Neighbor?

a3c719bd-ea3d-4165-a82e-3a1faf401358_text.gif

Iowa individual state tournament is going on now. Semifinals are today and finals tomorrow. Should see round 4 of Gabe Arnold vs Tate Naaktgeboren. Ben Kueter should walk to another title. He got a first round bye followed by a :14 pin and then a :12 pin. Kid is so good
watching kueter at this tournament is so funny. literally looks like me wrestling the elementary schoolers at kids club.

Arnold-Naaktgeboren will be fun. Tate has really closed the gap since the first dominant loss. Arnold won the last meeting with a wild last second reversal in rideouts last time around. Love Arnold taking on the challenge. He walks around under 182 and could have cruised to a title at 170 if he wanted.

watching kueter at this tournament is so funny. literally looks like me wrestling the elementary schoolers at kids club.

Arnold-Naaktgeboren will be fun. Tate has really closed the gap since the first dominant loss. Arnold won the last meeting with a wild last second reversal in rideouts last time around. Love Arnold taking on the challenge. He walks around under 182 and could have cruised to a title at 170 if he wanted.
0f969772-5f0f-478f-8fc1-e74a60d078f8_text.gif

Kueter looks like he’s just barely trying and absolutely smashing kids. I think if he devoted himself to wrestling he would win multiple national titles and probably world titles on the senior level as well if he kept wrestling. Unfortunately for us wrestling fans I think he gives up the sport fairly soon into his college career. If he truly has a chance to make the NFL which it sounds like he does, football is going to demand more and more of his time. At that level of athletics it is a year round job. He won’t be able to split time and reach his potential in either sport. He’s still good enough that I can see him having success in both sports but he wouldn’t be able to reach his best. I think he gives it a go his freshman year and probably does well but by his second year he makes the decision to go all in on football. Would be good for PSU but bad for the sport.

There should be a great match at 3A 195 as well. 2 freshman wrestling in the finals at 195lbs is pretty crazy! Ross is a phenom who has a ton of hype behind him but he seems like it’s well justified. Kid is a beast. His opponent is Mickel who beat an extremely injured Hagarty in the semis but absolutely deserves to be in the final. These 2 wrestled earlier in the year with Ross winning a 1 point match.

Can’t wait to see round 4 of Arnold-Nakktegboren. Each match has gotten closer like js referenced. Kind of reminds of Cass vs Kerk. First match wasn’t close but every match after got tighter and tighter until Kerk broke through. Can Tate turn the tables and win his first match of the series in the biggest setting possible? Should be electric and I bet the crowd will be going crazy. For those that don’t know Arnold will be attending Iowa next year while Naaktegboren will be heading to Iowa State. Hopefully this rivalry is just getting started

From Flo about Kueter-
220 — Ben Kueter (Iowa City High) vs. Joe Lewis (Dubuque Hempstead) — Kueter is on the brink of Iowa high school history. The U20 World champion enters the final match of his prep career with 110-0 record. Here’s the entire list of Iowans who have gone through high school without a loss: Dan Gable, Jeff Kerber, Dan Knight, Jeff McGinness, Eric Juergens and John Meeks. Kueter has been on a destruction course throughout his senior season. He’s 38-0 with 34 pins, two technical falls and a pair of forfeits. He’s beaten Lewis three times, teching him twice and pinning him the other time.

38-0 with 34 falls, 2 techs, and 2 forfeits is just silly. Pretty good company this kid is going to be in after tonight

Kueter looks like he’s just barely trying and absolutely smashing kids. I think if he devoted himself to wrestling he would win multiple national titles and probably world titles on the senior level as well if he kept wrestling. Unfortunately for us wrestling fans I think he gives up the sport fairly soon into his college career. If he truly has a chance to make the NFL which it sounds like he does, football is going to demand more and more of his time. At that level of athletics it is a year round job. He won’t be able to split time and reach his potential in either sport. He’s still good enough that I can see him having success in both sports but he wouldn’t be able to reach his best. I think he gives it a go his freshman year and probably does well but by his second year he makes the decision to go all in on football. Would be good for PSU but bad for the sport.

There should be a great match at 3A 195 as well. 2 freshman wrestling in the finals at 195lbs is pretty crazy! Ross is a phenom who has a ton of hype behind him but he seems like it’s well justified. Kid is a beast. His opponent is Mickel who beat an extremely injured Hagarty in the semis but absolutely deserves to be in the final. These 2 wrestled earlier in the year with Ross winning a 1 point match.

Can’t wait to see round 4 of Arnold-Nakktegboren. Each match has gotten closer like js referenced. Kind of reminds of Cass vs Kerk. First match wasn’t close but every match after got tighter and tighter until Kerk broke through. Can Tate turn the tables and win his first match of the series in the biggest setting possible? Should be electric and I bet the crowd will be going crazy. For those that don’t know Arnold will be attending Iowa next year while Naaktegboren will be heading to Iowa State. Hopefully this rivalry is just getting started
Arnold-Tate definitely the match of the tournament. Close second for me is Ross-Mickel. Ross has the hype, but Mickel is not to be overlooked. Great feet, strong as ox, tough and poised in close matches. Nightmare match up for a one-armed Hagarty. Also a very tough match up for Ross. Mickel isn't a guy you run through with blast doubles. That has OT written all over it. Those two could be battling for the next 8-9 years. I don't think Arnold and Tate will be at the same college weight unfortunately.

Definitely take a look at the freshman 195's guys and remind yourself that these dudes are 14 or 15. Both are freakshows despite being built totally different. Ross has that Kemerer giant back. Mickel is built like TJ Stewart from Blair.

Reactions: zzs006
Another great match at 3A 113 between Dru Ayala vs Jake Knight. Knight is a freshman and 45-1
JS do you know if Knight is related to Steve or Dan Knight? Steve Knight was a 2 time Iowa state champion and Dan was a 4 time undefeated champion. Steve was my club coach in Colorado during high school but has since moved back to Iowa.

Another great match at 3A 113 between Dru Ayala vs Jake Knight. Knight is a freshman and 45-1
JS do you know if Knight is related to Steve or Dan Knight? Steve Knight was a 2 time Iowa state champion and Dan was a 4 time undefeated champion. Steve was my club coach in Colorado during high school but has since moved back to Iowa.
He is Dan Knight’s son.

Reactions: zzs006
In Colorado 5A 126lbs the finals is Mark Cardenas vs Thomas Varette. Cardenas is a sophomore and the younger brother of Stanford freshman Daniel Cardenas. Varette was in PA during middle school I believe
At 5A 138 finals is Brandon Cannon vs Jakob Romero. Cannon is ranked top 10 in the country and headed to Ohio State. Romero is looking for his 3rd title and is in his 4th final. He is going to Utah Valley next year. Cannon has an incredible backstory. Here is a link about it

Varrette was in pa a while back. I remember he beat Harer in the Ms finals. His dad must be in the service. They move state to state each year

Varrette was in pa a while back. I remember he beat Harer in the Ms finals. His dad must be in the service. They move state to state each year
Varrette was in Colorado his whole life prior to being recruited to BM. I watched him wrestle out there as a kid. When the PIAA ban was put in place he just went back home.

Reactions: BrockBronson
Varrette was in Colorado his whole life prior to being recruited to BM. I watched him wrestle out there as a kid. When the PIAA ban was put in place he just went back home.
I thought I remember Coach Harer being mad a kid from Illinois beat his son. So He split after the suspension. Smart kid, they all should have

If anyone wants to watch Arnold vs Tate Naak you can at the IHSSA website it's free. Just create account. I put their app on firsestick. Only took a couple minutes.

Hell of a match. Both had really good opportunities. I thought Tate was going to score in the 3rd and then Arnold came so close at the buzzer but Tate was able to pass a leg. Fun match from 2 top level guys

Impressive performance from Ross! This kid is going to be a beast. I wonder how big he’s going to get. Will obviously grow into a heavyweight and has the frame to put on a lot of good weight.

Kueter caps off an undefeated high school career with a 19-4 tech fall. Pinned or teched every opponent this season. Pretty ****ing impressive!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT