ADVERTISEMENT

Souther Scuffle Day 2 Official Thread

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
please use this thread for all discussions about the morning and afternoon matches.

Ironhead's PBP is streamed for free at:

https://gopsusports.com/watch/?Live=237

I'll be off the board for periods during the wrestling (curses; unavoidable). If I'm not on the board, I hope others will provide some PBP. And as always, please include scores of matches in your comments for those that are at work, reading in transit, etc.

In the consolation matches, here are upcoming mat assignments:

Mat 2:
149: Verkleeren vs. Matt Zovistoski (App. St.) is in the hole

Reactions: mcruny42
Verk hit with hands to the face right away but then gets two easy TDs and it's 4-3. I love the way Verk wrestles.

Verkleeren vs. Zavostosky

1st period
  • TD2 Verk 2-0
  • E1 Zav 2-1
  • TD2 Verk 4-1
  • E2 Zav 4-2
  • P1 Zav 4-3
  • Stall Warn Zav
2nd period
  • Caution Verk (bottom)
  • E1 Verk 5-3
3rd period
  • Caution Verk (top)
  • E1 Zav 5-4
  • Stall Warn Verk
  • TD2 Zav 5-6
  • Fall Zav 6:59
Damn

Last edited:
wow.... not a very good strategic effort from Verk

surprised he gave no effort to ride at the start of the period and then a brain fart at the end

Reactions: RLSalty
149 Consolations: Verkleeren vs. Matt Zovistoski (App St.)

Per 1:
Quick TD buy Verkleeren, and then a quick esc, 2-1. Another quick TD, and an escape, 4-2. Penalty point (probably a hand to the face) against Verk, 4-3. Stall warning on Zovistoski. Zovistoski shoots, Verkleeren sprawls, and eventually a stalemate at 1:32 left. Verkleeren shoots on the left leg, a scramble but nothing. Zovistoski tries to get a single, nothing. Verkleeren goes for a body lock, Zovistoski with his hips back, nothing. OOB with 32 sec left. Zovistoski in on the right leg, Verk shakes it free End. Verkleeren with 11 sec of RT

Per 2
Verkleeren takes bottom. Caution on Verkleeren. Verk to his feet, and he's out in 9 sec, 5-3. Zovistoski shoots a single, Verk gets the leg clear, nothing. OOB with 1:29 left. Verk in on a single, working his way up, gets the other ankle but Zovistoski grabs a leg, and stopped for PD with 52 sec left. Zovistoski shoots legs, nothing, then Verk shoots, nothing. OOB with 25 sec. End. RT @ 2 sec for Verkleeren

Per 3
Zovistoski takes bottom. Zovistoski to his feet, and they go OOB at 1:56. Another caution on Verkleeren. Zovistoski to his feet and he's out, 5-4. RT @ 11 sec for Verkleeren. Verk tries a shot, nothing. Verk tries another body lock, and a stalemate with 1:19 left. Zovistoski shoots, and Verk sprawls, stalemate with 55 sec. Verk shoots, Zovistoski sprawls, nothing. Zovistoski shoots in on the right leg, elevates it, but they go OOB. Stall warning on Verk. Zovistoski in deep on a double and gets the TD with 5 sec left. Verk just gave up the pin at 6:59. Appears that once Verk realized he couldn't win, he just lay on his back, and the pin was called.

Damn

Good action, but Zovistoski got to the legs too frequently.

Reactions: danoftw
That's what happens when you don't put the hammer down early and let a guy just hang around.

Not a good loss at all. Verkleeren should have outclassed that kid as he did early.

Yeah. He came out and was able to easily attack and take him down and then he seemed to just...stop attacking.

Interesting that Verk takes a nap on the mat after each loss...Cael had to yell at him to get up.

Crap. I just had some throwup for breakfast. That was inexcusable, and a testament as to why being aggressive and racking up points is the right way to live in a B&W singlet. Verk had the better of that kid the whole match but if you let an inferior opponent stay close and wrestle a little too conservative, not to lose,...

I thought I was watching a Steeler game.

Sometimes you get surprised as a fan that with the ultimate attack machine one weight class away, the 149's don't attack more, obviously "styles" are different, but Verk was a different guy to start the tourney and then defensive wrestling cost him a win..ugh

Reactions: diggerpup
When Verk lost the close match to Berge at the Keystone Classic he went out and laid an egg in consis and did the same thing here at the Scuffle. He takes the losses very hard and doesn't seem to respond well when he loses.

When Verk lost the close match to Berge at the Keystone Classic he went out and laid an egg in consis and did the same thing here at the Scuffle. He takes the losses very hard and doesn't seem to respond well when he loses.

Beat me to it.. felt the same way.. he came out and struggled in a win and then laid an egg in a loss at Keystones after the Berge loss and did same here today.. This will not ingratiate himself much to Cael.. IMO at least..

Reactions: Ski
Beat me to it.. felt the same way.. he came out and struggled in a win and then laid an egg in a loss at Keystones after the Berge loss and did same here today.. This will not ingratiate himself much to Cael.. IMO at least..

Agreed. Guys need to have a short memory and the mentality that losing isn't the end of the world. Look at what Nick Lee did at NCAAs.

165 Consolations: Manville vs. Laurence Kosoy (Columbia)

Per 1
Manville drops to the legs, nothing. Seemed to be an accidental head butt by Kosoy ends up causing a cut on the forehead of Manville, so we have blood time. And they're back. 1 min left. Manville barrels in but they go OOB, and a stall warning on Kosoy. Manville pulls down on the head, goes to the right leg and gets behind for the TD, 2-0. OOB with 18 sec left. End. RT @ 39 sec for Manville

Per 2
Kosoy takes bottom. Manville works on the left side. He brings Kosoy back to the mat (he was in a 4-point stance). RT goes over 1 min. Manville works a cross face on a flattened Kosoy. Kosoy works to base, then tries to sit back in, but they go OOB with 27 sec left. Kosoy to his feet, but Manville brings him back to the mat. End A rideout. RT @ 2:39 for Manville.

Per 3
Manville takes bottom. Manville works his way up, turns in, drives in and gets a reversal, 4-0. Kosoy gets broken down once again. Manville trying to turn, and gets RT over 3 min. Kosoy gets to his feet and is out, 4-1. Manville snaps on the head, and gets behind and gets the TD, 6-1. He cuts Kosoy, 6-2, and they go OOB with 32 sec left. Manville shoots, they scramble, and they get a stalemate with 10 sec left. End. With 3:15 of RT, it's a 7-2 decision.

not a big fan of 3+min of RT

but to wrestle back to 3rd like I hope Mason does he will need all his energy.

Reactions: diggerpup
The Manimal. "I must break you"......................I think this cat would AA at 165. But Cenzo is pretty decent as well.

Reactions: clucas and 1AA
Solid showing by Manville. 7-2 win, and he's guaranteed a place on the podium. Keep it going Mason...all the way to 3rd.

Re. Verk, nothing from me...the coaches will have conversations with him.

Verk still has trouble in wrestle backs
Manville should start the tournament with his head wrapped lol. He is so physical and beats you up

165 Consolations: Manville vs. Laurence Kosoy (Columbia)

Per 1
Manville drops to the legs, nothing. Seemed to be an accidental head butt by Kosoy ends up causing a cut on the forehead of Manville, so we have blood time. And they're back. 1 min left. Manville barrels in but they go OOB, and a stall warning on Kosoy. Manville pulls down on the head, goes to the right leg and gets behind for the TD, 2-0. OOB with 18 sec left. End. RT @ 39 sec for Manville

Per 2
Kosoy takes bottom. Manville works on the left side. He brings Kosoy back to the mat (he was in a 4-point stance). RT goes over 1 min. Manville works a cross face on a flattened Kosoy. Kosoy works to base, then tries to sit back in, but they go OOB with 27 sec left. Kosoy to his feet, but Manville brings him back to the mat. End A rideout. RT @ 2:39 for Manville.

Per 3
Manville takes bottom. Manville works his way up, turns in, drives in and gets a reversal, 4-0. Kosoy gets broken down once again. Manville trying to turn, and gets RT over 3 min. Kosoy gets to his feet and is out, 4-1. Manville snaps on the head, and gets behind and gets the TD, 6-1. He cuts Kosoy, 6-2, and they go OOB with 32 sec left. Manville shoots, they scramble, and they get a stalemate with 10 sec left. End. With 3:15 of RT, it's a 7-2 decision.

Manville's our only wrestler left in Consi's, right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT