ADVERTISEMENT

Souther Scuffle Day 2 Official Thread

He hasn’t looked horrible. What are you talking about?

Hi! Welcome to the party! You're just a smidgen late. Quick summary, Penn State will never win another team title because 149 will be a weak weight until the end of time. This is evidenced by the terrible performance of Brady Berge and Jarod Verkleeren, neither of whom even WANT to be the starter.

Reactions: Afw6006
Hi! Welcome to the party! You're just a smidgen late. Quick summary, Penn State will never win another team title because 149 will be a weak weight until the end of time. This is evidenced by the terrible performance of Brady Berge and Jarod Verkleeren, neither of whom even WANT to be the starter.
:D:D no team title because of being weak at 1 weight....damn

Reactions: dsites52
Surprised everyone is getting so fired up about 149, we don't have a sure AA and know what that is ok. I was all in with Verk but he didn't show that he could mentally bounce back and won't get another chance to show that since the next tournament is Big10. Berge has great defense but hasn't been able to pull the trigger enough against decent opponents. That can be fixed over time, if we get an AA great if not that is ok. Some of my favorite wrestlers didn't AA there freshman year (Morgan Mac)

I think you broke the record on a post aging badly so quickly. Berge with 3 takedowns against the #7 ranked wrestler. And he had the only takedown against #6 Finesilver. Finesilver won it on top. Berge will be an AA. BOOK IT!!!!

Score for NN v White please?
I think it ended up being 3-0. White took him down in the first and rode him out. Rode NN the entire 2nd Period, racking up around 3 min of riding time. NN took top in the 3rd and tried to turn him, but no luck. White just did enough to stay out of trouble with the refs; no real action on his part.

First Time Poster here from Indiana, have been following Penn State wrestling and enjoying the board for cpl years now but just joined today. Started really following wrestling about 6 years when I had family member wrestling in HS, I attended a lot of tournies and the state tournament every year...got to see Nick and Joe Lee wrestle a lot and followed them when they came here...didn’t realize I had become a Penn State fan until this weekend when I saw guy wearing Penn State gear and said “We Are”. So figured time to join up. Not the expert most of you are but do have opinions now and then and now I can share them (not that they are worth much). Have been following the Scuffle and others via this board while at work and just wanted to say thanks!

Surprised everyone is getting so fired up about 149, we don't have a sure AA and know what that is ok. I was all in with Verk but he didn't show that he could mentally bounce back and won't get another chance to show that since the next tournament is Big10. Berge has great defense but hasn't been able to pull the trigger enough against decent opponents. That can be fixed over time, if we get an AA great if not that is ok. Some of my favorite wrestlers didn't AA there freshman year (Morgan Mac)
I only see one or two fired up. Meh...

Reactions: mn78psu83
I get why many fans look at this team and expect instant legendary greatness to the degree we've seen from Ruth, Taylor, Zain, Nolf, and Nickal, but before dumping on RBY, Berge, and Verk, check your fan privilege and take the blue-white perspective pill because (a) none of what Penn State has been able to do over the past ten years is normal; and (b) these guys all are doing fantastic by realistic measures. Not every guy that comes through here is going to redefine the sport of wrestling and get a commemorative statue of them built in the lobby of Rec Hall, and that's okay. Take a cue from the coach and enjoy the process and look past the results. That's not to say criticism isn't warranted as a rule, but this thread is full of unwarranted criticism because a few kids aren't turning into instant superheroes.

Not the expert most of you are but do have opinions now and then and now I can share them (not that they are worth much).
Opinions get scrutinized over here. Just read what you wrote before clicking post and say to yourself "Should I share my opinion with everyone else?"
If the answer is "Yes" : Delete it and dont post
if the answer is "No": Delete is and dont post

First Time Poster here from Indiana, have been following Penn State wrestling and enjoying the board for cpl years now but just joined today. Started really following wrestling about 6 years when I had family member wrestling in HS, I attended a lot of tournies and the state tournament every year...got to see Nick and Joe Lee wrestle a lot and followed them when they came here...didn’t realize I had become a Penn State fan until this weekend when I saw guy wearing Penn State gear and said “We Are”. So figured time to join up. Not the expert most of you are but do have opinions now and then and now I can share them (not that they are worth much). Have been following the Scuffle and others via this board while at work and just wanted to say thanks!
Welcome to our dysFUNctional community.

Score update:

-- All-time record is 198, set by the Cowboys in 2017
-- PSU at 179 as of now
-- RBY and Berge can get 3.5 more each by winning the consi semi's, plus one more by placing 3rd, plus bonus
-- PSU has finalists at 7 weight classes, each worth 4 points, plus bonus

19 point difference. Looks possible...let's see how RBY and Berge do first.
As noted above in post 349, current PSU total is 186.

-- RBY and Berge going for 3rd, worth 1 Placement Point, plus bonus
-- Seven weight classes with finalists, worth 4 Placement Points for each win, plus bonus
-- We need 12.5 Points to set the record

I get why many fans look at this team and expect instant legendary greatness to the degree we've seen from Ruth, Taylor, Zain, Nolf, and Nickal, but before dumping on RBY, Berge, and Verk, check your fan privilege and take the blue-white perspective pill because (a) none of what Penn State has been able to do over the past ten years is normal; and (b) these guys all are doing fantastic by realistic measures. Not every guy that comes through here is going to redefine the sport of wrestling and get a commemorative statue of them built in the lobby of Rec Hall, and that's okay. Take a cue from the coach and enjoy the process and look past the results. That's not to say criticism isn't warranted as a rule, but this thread is full of unwarranted criticism because a few kids aren't turning into instant superheroes.

All we are asking for is guys to get bobble heads made of their likeness....

Yea...and just imagine if Nolf or Bo got beaten. Then we'd know how Iowa fans felt after Midlands ;)

Our glass is darn near overflowing :)

Opinions get scrutinized over here. Just read what you wrote before clicking post and say to yourself "Should I share my opinion with everyone else?"
snickers.jpg

For the record, claiming a kid "just doesn't want it" doth not an opinion make. "I like Bruce Springsteen" is an opinion. "Burritos are for breakfast" is an opinion. "LemonPie used to light his possessions on fire because he likes to destroy the things he loves the most" is no longer an opinion statement. Does that help?

Nevills v Miller (Va Tech)
  • Nick snatches a knee and gets the two with just over a minute left in the first
  • Nick working an arm but Miller not moving, period ends with Nick up 2-0 with 1:02 RT
Second
  • Neutral
  • Miller looking more active, gets a leg on an head inside single but Nick's fighting it off easily, now goes behind, 4-0, RT increasing, under a minute remaining in second
  • Miller gets to his feet but Nick easily returns, makes it 4-0 as time runs out of the second
Third
  • Nick looked to choose neutral but his mind was changed by a coach, I believe, so he starts down with RT locked
  • Nick to his feet and he's out, 5-0; a TD and a rideout will give him a major
  • Ref stops match with :51 remaining so Miller can fix his knee sleeve
  • Nick head inside leg, trying to turn but Miller doing a good job defending, gets the stalemate, :14 left
  • Miller with a bad shot that Nick goes behind on just as third period ends. 8-0 with RT.

Score update:

-- All-time record is 198, set by the Cowboys in 2017
-- PSU at 179 as of now
-- RBY and Berge can get 3.5 more each by winning the consi semi's, plus one more by placing 3rd, plus bonus
-- PSU has finalists at 7 weight classes, each worth 4 points, plus bonus

19 point difference. Looks possible...let's see how RBY and Berge do first.
Interested in seeing what the team record scoring title would be if you only included the scores of the 10 starters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT