ADVERTISEMENT

Simmons a go for Ohio State

to me 40 seems to be more ready playing in the 'box' as a LBer than 11 does. 11 might become a great player, but so far , he appears to be lost.

Which of his 4 total tackles for the season gives you that impression? Parsons is 3rd on the team in tackles, over twice as many as Farmer even though farmer is a 5th year Sr. and has over 20 more snaps.

Reactions: royboy
Which of his 4 total tackles for the season gives you that impression? Parsons is 3rd on the team in tackles, over twice as many as Farmer even though farmer is a 5th year Sr. and has over 20 more snaps.
I understand what you are saying but it is hard to measure. so much of what we are doing at LB is situational. For example, we put in different linebackers on 2nd and 8 (passing down) than we do on 1st and ten or third and two. (balanced or running downs).

Having said that, looks to me like 11 is all over the field but a step late. He's never played LB before, I don't think, so not surprising. We may see more experienced LBers playing against tOSU than we have against Kent or Ill because Saturday is the real deal, it is no longer practice.

Reactions: BBrown
I agree, it didn't. But we had Gesicki and #26 last year. This year, we don't. CJF likes to make the opponent waste time on planning for every contingency. I think that is why the TE was used in the first series against ILL. We need a TE. I think we see Stevens in at RB (we don't have a big one other than Sanders) and at TE.
Mmmmm, I don't think the TE's have been bad. They've made some plays. And I like how Freiermuth is coming along. I think he's a good player.

Mmmmm, I don't think the TE's have been bad. They've made some plays. And I like how Freiermuth is coming along. I think he's a good player.
I agree. But they are not anywhere as good as 88 was last year (yet).

not the tackles, more the way he carries himself. I'd play 40 over 7 all day long.
link https://www.btn2go.com/game/penn-st-at-illinois-on-09212018
go to 132:21 on the tape, and watch 40 line up and take on the blockers,
see if our other guys do it that way.

Last edited:
Agreed. And with your (yet) too. :)
yeah...one of the reasons why I defend Hack is that Gesicki was simply AWFUL his Soph year. not only did he drop a half dozen or more critical passes, he couldn't run block anything. In fact, many were missed assignments where it looked like he didn't want to run block. I recall him being tasked with turning and blocking a DE while the OT moved outside to block the OLB. MG simply turned and looked inside while his guy pancaked #26 in the backfield. In fact, many of the SB runs for loss were due to MG's man simply not being blocked. But his Jr year he turned into a great receiving TE and his senior year he was simply awesome. He never did learn to block though, but at least gave it an effort. This year's TE's look good and they actually block! Too bad about that fumble against ILL as the TE was turning into a weapon. We didn't go back to that play much later in the game (TE in the seam off of the RPO),

I understand what you are saying but it is hard to measure. so much of what we are doing at LB is situational. For example, we put in different linebackers on 2nd and 8 (passing down) than we do on 1st and ten or third and two. (balanced or running downs).

Having said that, looks to me like 11 is all over the field but a step late. He's never played LB before, I don't think, so not surprising. We may see more experienced LBers playing against tOSU than we have against Kent or Ill because Saturday is the real deal, it is no longer practice.
I haven't totally keyed on #11 when watching, but on occasion to my untrained eyes he also seems to run himself out of plays at times. It's to be expected though, he's young and is learning a new position at a new level of football. Given his athletic abilities he'll get there eventually. Hopefully he makes some noise this weekend, we could certainly use it.

Friermuth is a better blocker as a true FR than Gesicki was his entire career. Friermuth also does not seem to have dropped as many passes as a FR as Gesicki did as a SO.

I only wish Friermuth were playing more... Holland and Dalton are behind him as far as ability (both catching, and blocking).

As for Parsons... as stated he will improve. He as only been playing LB for 4 games and as a true FR in college... that says something right there.

As for Simmons... he was the #1.5 DE behind Miller (tied with Gross-Matos). Having him would have allowed the Defense to rotate between Miller/Simmons and YGM/Tomey… his non-presence has been felt, and when he does come back (my bet would be this Saturday we see him in limited action) his addition will result in the defense being much improved. Simmons' ability to seal the edge and force runs back inside will be key in improving the run game, and his pass rush... well I haven't seen any of the DEs be as consistent rushing the passer as Simmons was last year.

You're making alot of bold statements yourself today- Tight End TDs are down, but the catches and yardage are in the ballpark, and the blocking is light years ahead of where it was, which is probably a big reason for Miles' success.

Yea I'll take it another step....The TE's have been the opposite of bad.
I never expected them to do as well as they are right now and I don't think many others did either.
Hell I didnt' even think Bowers was going to play again.

Different players different strengths.
Maybe Pat F. and Holland cant take the "top" off like Mike G but then Mike G. couldn't block a 1/4 as well as these guys can.
IMO both of them are doing really well and Pat F. has a HUGE upside that we might just be starting to see.

Reactions: acg116 and Obliviax
Different players different strengths.
Maybe Pat F. and Holland cant take the "top" off like Mike G but then Mike G. couldn't block a 1/4 as well as these guys can.
IMO both of them are doing really well and Pat F. has a HUGE upside that we might just be starting to see.
I agree....the problem is, when we sub in a TE, we give away tendencies. I don't know if you saw the Kentucky game. It was short yardage on the two yard line...3rd or 4th and goal. Teams were standing around looking at their sidelines. KY then sent in a large RB and then Miss State sent in five large defenders. Clearly, MissState knew the tendencies with that RB in the game.

I am very pleased with the two young TE's we have. The upperclassmen seem to have problems staying on the field (health?). But in the end, non will be drafted this spring early in the NFL draft.

to me 40 seems to be more ready playing in the 'box' as a LBer than 11 does. 11 might become a great player, but so far , he appears to be lost.

Interesting that "lost" #11 is currently 3rd on the team in tackles with 22, in limited playing time (50% or less off the snaps?), only 2 tackles behind Jan Johnson who has 24 tackles (11 in the App St. game), and G.Taylor who has 23 tackles. Ahead of starters Nick Scott and Cam Brown, and obviously everyone else.......... including Farmer who has less than half the tackles of #11 (10 tackles)....

I agree....the problem is, when we sub in a TE, we give away tendencies. I don't know if you saw the Kentucky game. It was short yardage on the two yard line...3rd or 4th and goal. Teams were standing around looking at their sidelines. KY then sent in a large RB and then Miss State sent in five large defenders. Clearly, MissState knew the tendencies with that RB in the game.

I am very pleased with the two young TE's we have. The upperclassmen seem to have problems staying on the field (health?). But in the end, non will be drafted this spring early in the NFL draft.

Didn't see the KY game.
But I don't agree about us and giving away anything. If we did it worked to our advantage when Pat caught the TD pass last week.
So now its something else for OSU to worry about.

Interesting that "lost" #11 is currently 3rd on the team in tackles with 22, in limited playing time (50% or less off the snaps?), only 2 tackles behind Jan Johnson who has 24 tackles (11 in the App St. game), and G.Taylor who has 23 tackles. Ahead of starters Nick Scott and Cam Brown, and obviously everyone else..........

LOL, yea if Parson's is lost than I don't what the hell Farmer is. SMH.

Interesting that "lost" #11 is currently 3rd on the team in tackles with 22, in limited playing time (50% or less off the snaps?), only 2 tackles behind Jan Johnson who has 24 tackles (11 in the App St. game), and G.Taylor who has 23 tackles. Ahead of starters Nick Scott and Cam Brown, and obviously everyone else.......... including Farmer who has less than half the tackles of #11 (10 tackles)....
did you rewatch the tape of any game?

Didn't see the KY game.
But I don't agree about us and giving away anything. If we did it worked to our advantage when Pat caught the TD pass last week.
So now its something else for OSU to worry about.
fair enough....but I consider the games so far to be the pre-season.

It's also interesting that someone actually reads and interprets the depth chart enough to analyze it based on in-game action.

did you rewatch the tape of any game?

Yes, and I actually watched the games live as well. Sure Parsons is out of position at times, some times on consecutive plays. But he gets to the ball and stops the ball carrier, which a LB has to be able to do, and which some of our LB's don't seem to do except on rare plays. The statistics do not lie. And CJF has said as much about Parsons. His up side is great, and as he learns (and makes mistakes) he still gets to the ball. More so than any LB so far this season except Jan Johnson, who seems to be in proper position to make plays more so than LB on the roster.

Last edited:
Yes, and I actually watched the games live as well. Sure Parsons is out of position at times, some times on consecutive plays. But he gets to the ball and stops the ball carrier, which a LB has to be able to do, and which some of our LB's don't seem to do except on rare plays. The statistics do not lie. And CJF has said as much about Parsons. His up side is great, and as he learns (and makes mistakes) he still gets to the ball. More so than any LB so far this season except Jan Johnson, who seems to be in proper position to make plays more so than any of the other LB's.

I've already seen more "growth" from Parsons in 3 games than I have in 3 years from some of the other LBR's.

Yes, and I actually watched the games live as well. Sure Parsons is out of position at times, some times on consecutive plays. But he gets to the ball and stops the ball carrier, which a LB has to be able to do, and which some of our LB's don't seem to do except on rare plays. The statistics do not lie. And CJF has said as much about Parsons. His up side is great, and as he learns (and makes mistakes) he still gets to the ball. More so than any LB so far this season except Jan Johnson, who seems to be in proper position to make plays more so than any of the other LB's.

I don’t get the nitpicking of Parsons either. He played really well the 2nd half against Illinois. He’s not making splash plays but he brings down the ballcarrier when he gets his hands on him. That’s more than can be said about half our defense right now.

Parsons and Jan Johnson have been the most consistent linebackers in terms of tackling and stopping the run. Brooks played better the 2nd half against Illinois but he was lost the first half. Illinois put together that first, long TD drive when Brooks was out there and he looked helpless.

Brown has flashes but is really inconsistent. He had an unblocked blitz up the middle and missed what should have been an easy sack. There were lots of other arm tackles. He does play the pass really well.

When Koa Farmer is out there it’s basically like we are trying to kill a power play. He is doing nothing at WLB and it’s obvious he doesn’t want to take on o-lineman as blockers. The experiment has failed to move him to a box backer position and they need to move him back to the field linebacker spot as Brown’s backup.

With all of the discussion about the depth chart, it is surprising that no one has pointed out that Donovan Johnson and Darien both are listed considering their apparent injuries...

I don’t get the nitpicking of Parsons either. He played really well the 2nd half against Illinois. He’s not making splash plays but he brings down the ballcarrier when he gets his hands on him. That’s more than can be said about half our defense right now.

Parsons and Jan Johnson have been the most consistent linebackers in terms of tackling and stopping the run. Brooks played better the 2nd half against Illinois but he was lost the first half. Illinois put together that first, long TD drive when Brooks was out there and he looked helpless.

Brown has flashes but is really inconsistent. He had an unblocked blitz up the middle and missed what should have been an easy sack. There were lots of other arm tackles. He does play the pass really well.

When Koa Farmer is out there it’s basically like we are trying to kill a power play. He is doing nothing at WLB and it’s obvious he doesn’t want to take on o-lineman as blockers. The experiment has failed to move him to a box backer position and they need to move him back to the field linebacker spot as Brown’s backup.
for me, I would much rather see 40 out there instead of 7. I think if 40 had the number of reps 7 has had this season, you would be seeing a pretty fine young player by now. At least he will try and take on a block.

With all of the discussion about the depth chart, it is surprising that no one has pointed out that Donovan Johnson and Darien both are listed considering their apparent injuries...

The BWI guys have already said that the depth chart is about 96% useless.

The depth chart is based on start of last Saturday’s game, not next week. Has been that way since Franklin got here. Obviously takes a while for people to catch on

Reactions: kbh118
247 Pictures from yesterday's practice show Simmons in action. Hope he IS back..........

SHANE SIMMONS

8695863.jpg

He's back, too. Defensive end Shane Simmons (34), who has yet to play this season due to an unspecified foot/ankle injury, was repping with the second team Wednesday.

247 Pictures from yesterday's practice show Simmons in action. Hope he IS back..........

SHANE SIMMONS

8695863.jpg

He's back, too. Defensive end Shane Simmons (34), who has yet to play this season due to an unspecified foot/ankle injury, was repping with the second team Wednesday.

Which is exactly what I said when I started this post.

Yep, only now there is actual evidence, versus a guess thrown on the wall to see if it sticks.....
LOL. Your "fallback" when you put your foot in your mouth and someone else is right. I can say the exact same thing about you: "A broken clock is right twice a day". Bla bla bla.

You put your butt out there on the line with a bunch of attacks, and I was right. Now, eat it and smile buddy.

LOL. Your "fallback" when you put your foot in your mouth and someone else is right. I can say the exact same thing about you: "A broken clock is right twice a day". Bla bla bla.

You put your butt out there on the line with a bunch of attacks, and I was right. Now, eat it and smile buddy.

Custard was right??

No attacks from me. Just question unsubstantiated rumors (or Bla bla bla) that some try to pass off as "knowledge".

;););)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT