ADVERTISEMENT

Simmons a go for Ohio State

I see your point. I think the key for the game is if PS can piece out 5, 6, 7 yards per running attempt, in between the tackle areas. If Sanders can reliably get solid gains all night long then Lion Package or other type of scheming won't matter. I hope the OL is able to take it to them.

I agree. tOSU hasn't faced a running game yet this season...and certainly not an offense with so many weapons. I think we score a lot of points against a darn good D. However, we've got to stop tOSU's running game. That means we are going to have to commit our S to run support leaving our CBs to cover their wideouts. Bottom line: can our CB's cover their WR's?

I haven't done my Obli's Observations but I really liked what ILL did to our D. They established a running game. Then, when we committed our S, they ran a lot of slants. They also attacked our perimeter pass defense with a series of bubble screens and fake bubble screens. The TD that Reid gave up was because they faked a bubble screen. When he realized it wasn't a bubble screen, the WR who he thought was going to block him, simply turned to the middle of the field and was wide open because our Ss had to cheat up.

I really liked Ill's offense, they just didn't have much talent to run it. But they attacked our S all night long: with a running game, slants and then bubble and fake bubble screens. tOSU will duplicate this offense....just wait and see. Its all on film to see.

A healthy, ready to go Shane Simmons is a boost to Penn State. It's not entirely known if Shane would have been a starter initially had he been healthy.

Simmons is NOT listed on this week's depth chart. And therefore it is NOT a given at this point that he will play this week......

Maybe CJF will clear up his status tomorrow or during his Wednesday post-practice comments.

Some do not believe in the depth chart at all, but CJF does include injury outages within the DC. Just like Allen out of the DC this week.

Defensive End

48Shareef Miller(6-5, 260, Sr./Jr.)
49Daniel Joseph(6-3, 253, Jr./So.)
46Nick Tarburton(6-3, 246, Fr./Fr.)

Defensive End

99Yetur Gross-Matos(6-5, 259, So./So.)
18Shaka Toney(6-3, 241, Jr./So.)

Last edited:
Simmons is NOT listed on this week's depth chart. And therefore it is NOT a given at this point that he will play this week......

Maybe CJF will clear up his status tomorrow or during his Wednesday post-practice comments.

Defensive End

Defensive End

Lol, Greg, that's about as bad as Gunsie's posts. Even if Simmons was showing up as first team with no "OR" designation, you should know that these depth charts aren't worth the paper they're printed on (or electrons they're sent on).

Lol, Greg, that's about as bad as Gunsie's posts. Even if Simmons was showing up as first team with no "OR" designation, you should know that these depth charts aren't worth the paper they're printed on (or electrons they're sent on).

LOL, let us know when Simmons shows up as first team with an "OR"....

There are times when a player is not listed on the DC (released on Monday) and then returns from injury late in the week. But most known injuries are accounted for in the DC. Just like Allen off the DC this week, due to injury. Bowers had been pretty much out of the DC, but must now be healthy and is 3rd team.

Why Tarburton has been consistently listed as 3rd team DE, even when the plan was to play Oweh the last 2 weeks as the 5th DE, who knows.

But dismissing the DC as some do is not too smart......

There are times when a player is not listed on the DC (released on Monday) and then returns from injury late in the week. But most known injuries are accounted for in the DC. Just like Allen off the DC this week, due to injury. Bowers had been pretty much out of the DC, but must now be healthy and is 3rd team.

Why Tarburton has been consistently listed as 3rd team DE, even when the plan was to play Oweh the last 2 weeks as the 5th DE, who knows.

"Penn State depth charts are to be taken with a grain of salt".

That's not me, that's about half of this message board, saying that. I'll gather up each one if you need that.

I know gunsie is a full of it, but please don't tell me you actually take the depth chart seriously. The football building is trolling the f out of you with this every week.

what's up with the bold font? almost as bad a comic sans.

I know gunsie is a full of it, but please don't tell me you actually take the depth chart seriously. The football building is trolling the f out of you with this every week.

what's up with the bold font? almost as bad a comic sans.
Watch out! He'll demand you remove any post he sees unfit to this thread.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
I can take it with a grain of salt without believing the opposite is true. What is your source?
"Penn State depth charts are to be taken with a grain of salt".

That's not me, that's about half of this message board, saying that. I'll gather up each one if you need that.

Let me ask this. If Bates went down, who do you think would replace him?

All Roadhouse references welcome. A tussle between Dalton and guns would have been epic.
To the winner:

Road-House-1989-movie-Patrick-Swayze-4.jpg

PSU should start Sutherland and Taylor at the safety spots- Taylor is really starting to play fast and tackling a lot better and Sutherland is coming around as well.

Taylor and Sutherland play the same S position. They aren't moving a guy to a new position for the tOSU game. Or any other game mid season for that matter. Sutherland should start, though. Taylor is not a football player.

Taylor and Sutherland play the same S position. They aren't moving a guy to a new position for the tOSU game. Or any other game mid season for that matter. Sutherland should start, though. Taylor is not a football player.
Sutherland seems to be always around the ball. He is earning the playing time; let's see how he does in this big time game.

Reactions: kevin310 and 81b&w
Sutherland seems to be always around the ball. He is earning the playing time; let's see how he does in this big time game.

I compare him to Marcus Allen. Sutherland finds the ball and is like a missile getting there. I'd like to see more of him and less of Taylor. And by less of Taylor I mean none.

Reactions: 81b&w

Some do not believe in the depth chart at all, but CJF does include injury outages within the DC. Just like Allen out of the DC this week.

Defensive End

Defensive End

Wow! I didn’t realize that the size of the DE’s are nearly the same as a lot of linebackers. No wonder they get pushed around by 300 pound offensive linemen.

It's a shame they play the same position because we could use Sutherland's talent at the other safety position because Scott is a liability.

I couldn't disagree more with your assessment of Garrett Taylor, he's been our best defender to date. Many liabilities you might be referencing are due to him having to carry extra load because Scott is that bad. The same guy that helped develop the team S&P rankings (Connelly?), has put together advanced stats for individual players at every position - Taylor has been our most explosive and efficient defender to date.

Here's the breakdown of how the advanced individual stats work: LINK

And a breakdown of each player from PSU: LINK

I bet OSU wishes Bosa had been nursing something minor for the first month of the year and potentially ready to come back and play in the White Out.

PSU should start Sutherland and Taylor at the safety spots- Taylor is really starting to play fast and tackling a lot better and Sutherland is coming around as well.
Sutherland is a natural safety and seems to be always around the ball. Give him some more time and he'll bring the BOOM! Brooks and Luketa also need to see the field more.

Reactions: psuno1
ADVERTISEMENT