ADVERTISEMENT

Question about importance of dual meets

matter7172

Nov 14, 2012
Here was the situation today in the Minnesota/Rutgers match:

Minnesota is ahead 17-12 in the team score and the meet is in the final match (133). Minnesota is behind 4-1 but gets the takedown with 5 seconds left to tie the match at 4. Clock is stopped at 5 seconds remaining in the third period and there is a new start with Minnesota on top.

The only way Rutgers can win the dual is to get a tech fall or pin. TF is pretty unlikely (next to impossible) so realistically Rutgers needs a pin. Can't get it in regulation in all likelihood.

If you are the coach of Minnesota, do you A) instruct your 133 to give up the escape, thereby losing the match 5-4 but avoiding any real chance of Rutgers pulling out the dual meet win (the ultimate, I guess, in taking one for the team)?

Or do you B) take your chances and wrestle out the match, figuring your wrestler will avoid the pin?

Is the first choice too cynical or genius?

Reactions: hlstone
Here was the situation today in the Minnesota/Rutgers match:

Minnesota is ahead 17-12 in the team score and the meet is in the final match (133). Minnesota is behind 4-1 but gets the takedown with 5 seconds left to tie the match at 4. Clock is stopped at 5 seconds remaining in the third period and there is a new start with Minnesota on top.

The only way Rutgers can win the dual is to get a tech fall or pin. TF is pretty unlikely (next to impossible) so realistically Rutgers needs a pin. Can't get it in regulation in all likelihood.

If you are the coach of Minnesota, do you A) instruct your 133 to give up the escape, thereby losing the match 5-4 but avoiding any real chance of Rutgers pulling out the dual meet win (the ultimate, I guess, in taking one for the team)?

Or do you B) take your chances and wrestle out the match, figuring your wrestler will avoid the pin?

Is the first choice too cynical or genius?
I watched this and had a similar thought. : C) I take my chances because I want my guy to win and not only just avoid a pin.

Since everything comes down to the Big 10 and NCAA tourneys, I don’t want my guy to take an L, no matter the risk to the team score. An L would effect his seed at Big Tens, RPI, ranking, etc. Duals are fun but essentially meaningless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT