ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers board MIA

PSUer1989

Feb 6, 2017
The Rutgers fan base must have been hit really hard by the UVU loss. There is barely any posting over there anymore...

Last edited:
I am pulling most for John Van Brill to AA.

I'm probably in the minority on this board but I would like to see Gravina get healthy enough to cap off his career as an AA. Mind you, I am not a fan of the head slapping approach he used against Bo, but he's a really good kid off the mat and a good, tough wrestler when healthy. Unfortunately for him, 184 is deep as hell. It's going to be a pretty tall order.

If Fix beats him will Suriano bump up to 141 next?
Another uber talented classmate awaits him there. 149 looks winnable. How crazy was that year: NS, Daton, Spencer, Yianni?

I for one don’t buy the “zero offense” take on Nick overall—but I do think his and his dad’s stubbornness blinded them to one of the biggest differentiators Cael & Co bring to most of their squad year in and year out: an ability to wrestle loose when the lights are brightest.

Reactions: richmin3
I'm probably in the minority on this board but I would like to see Gravina get healthy enough to cap off his career as an AA. Mind you, I am not a fan of the head slapping approach he used against Bo, but he's a really good kid off the mat and a good, tough wrestler when healthy. Unfortunately for him, 184 is deep as hell. It's going to be a pretty tall order.
I had a conversation with the father of an AA wrestler who wrestled for another team and wrestled Gravina. The kid described Gravina as "the dirtiest wrestler I've ever wrestled." I don't care if he AAs, but knowing that as one data point and the match against Bo as the second data point, I won't be pulling for him.

I had a conversation with the father of an AA wrestler who wrestled for another team and wrestled Gravina. The kid described Gravina as "the dirtiest wrestler I've ever wrestled." I don't care if he AAs, but knowing that as one data point and the match against Bo as the second data point, I won't be pulling for him.

Did you watch the match? I'm a big fan of Gravina's and he wrestles tough and has a hard nosed mentality but is a delight to be around. Couldn't say the same for others but watching him day in and day out this is not an accurate depiction. Hope he can stay healthy but his shoulder will probably fail him.

Isn't the big Suriano v Fix match coming soon? Perhaps a victory and another video of Suriano showing off his abs would help get the RU fans back on the bandwagon.

I hear Flo’s “Fearless Warrior” reboot (subtititled “A Different Weight, Destiny's Date Awaits”) will be released soon. That should breathe life back into the Rutgers board.

Last edited:
I hear Flo’s “Fearless Warrior” reboot (subtititled “A Different Weight, A Date With Destiny Awaits”) will be released soon. That should breathe life back into the Rutgers board.

A lot of us are just sad. Even those who aren’t on boards. We’ve been waiting for next year for a long time now. weirdly, this could be our best finish ever even though it’s disappointing. One NC scores about as many team points as entire 10 man team that makes it to r12.

A few years ago, only RU and okie state sent a full 10 man lineup to nationals. That was a big deal for a growing program. If we get 2 NCs (which isn’t unrealistic this year), but only send 4 guys to nationals, is the program still trending upwards?

A lot of us are just sad. Even those who aren’t on boards. We’ve been waiting for next year for a long time now. weirdly, this could be our best finish ever even though it’s disappointing. One NC scores about as many team points as entire 10 man team that makes it to r12.

A few years ago, only RU and okie state sent a full 10 man lineup to nationals. That was a big deal for a growing program. If we get 2 NCs (which isn’t unrealistic this year), but only send 4 guys to nationals, is the program still trending upwards?

If you look at it without scarlet colored glasses, it's pretty clear the inability to follow up a ridiculously good B1G tournament with any kind of showing at MSG in 2016 was a portent. I said last year that Rutgers was in danger of sliding this season and, especially, beyond. No balance and depth in the lineup and no one to replace the top 1 or 2 guys. Imagine if Suriano would have not transferred and was not gifted a year by the B1G or if AA hadn't received a sixth year from the NCAA. As it is, if it weren't for some creampuff scheduling and the weird B1G schedule, this would be an awful dual season for Rutgers.

If the Rutgers fanbase didn't grossly overrate every recruit and wrestler that goes to Rutgers, they might have a more realistic notion of where the program is. I have a feeling next year will be worse than this year and the following year when Suriano leaves will be still worse. It's not trending upwards.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
If you look at it without scarlet colored glasses, it's pretty clear the inability to follow up a ridiculously good B1G tournament with any kind of showing at MSG in 2016 was a portent. I said last year that Rutgers was in danger of sliding this season and, especially, beyond. No balance and depth in the lineup and no one to replace the top 1 or 2 guys. Imagine if Suriano would have not transferred and was not gifted a year by the B1G or if AA hadn't received a sixth year from the NCAA. As it is, if it weren't for some creampuff scheduling and the weird B1G schedule, this would be an awful dual season for Rutgers.

If the Rutgers fanbase didn't grossly overrate every recruit and wrestler that goes to Rutgers, they might have a more realistic notion of where the program is. I have a feeling next year will be worse than this year and the following year when Suriano leaves will be still worse. It's not trending upwards.

Gotta keep NJs best at home. Have to develop them.

We have a few guys coming in who should develop into AAs, maybe one or two who can be multi time AAs. We don’t have a guy coming in to replace Ash or Suriano. (In all fairness, the only two undefeated 4xers in NJ history aren’t simple guys to just replace). I don’t see a guy coming in who I think contends for a NC in his career except maybe Aragona.

We have a few guys coming in who should develop into AAs, maybe one or two who can be multi time AAs. We don’t have a guy coming in to replace Ash or Suriano. (In all fairness, the only two undefeated 4xers in NJ history aren’t simple guys to just replace). I don’t see a guy coming in who I think contends for a NC in his career except maybe Aragona.

This underscores why it’s so easy (and kinda fun) to poke fun at Goodale and his penchant for hyperbole. I get that he’s a sentimental favorite among RU fans given what he’s done for the program and facilities relative to where things stood when he took over. But it appears he hit his ceiling a couple years ago when it comes to competing in the B1G. He brought RU out of their own end zone and to the 40 yard line or so, but i believe it’s gonna take fresh leadership to cross midfield and start making yardage in your opponents’ territory. Every coach faces the inevitable curtain call, even legendary ones like Goodale. :rolleyes:

Wasn't Mike Grey an undefeated 4x also, or did he lose once?

This underscores why it’s so easy (and kinda fun) to poke fun at Goodale and his penchant for hyperbole. I get that he’s a sentimental favorite among RU fans given what he’s done for the program and facilities relative to where things stood when he took over. But it appears he hit his ceiling a couple years ago when it comes to competing in the B1G. He brought RU out of their own end zone and to the 40 yard line or so, but i believe it’s gonna take fresh leadership to cross midfield and start making yardage in your opponents’ territory. Every coach faces the inevitable curtain call, even legendary ones like Goodale. :rolleyes:
Rutgers will always be 3 levels down from PSU no matter what they have for facilities....We have Cael and a great staff who make wrestling fun....

Campolotano had one loss too out of state. The record calls them losses.

Until we can recruit out of Blair and some of these other private schools, it’ll be tough to move the ball past midfield (love the above football analogy)

In NJ, people are sending their kids to blair and Christian brothers type schools so they don’t go to Rutgers. Hell, I never went to Rutgers. My parents would have considered that a safety school for better or worse.

If the Rutgers fanbase didn't grossly overrate every recruit and wrestler that goes to Rutgers.....

You can't say grossly overrate and Rutgers in a sentence, without also talking about the legendary perennial Top 10 ranking :)

Reactions: danoftw
You can't say grossly overrate and Rutgers in a sentence, without also talking about the legendary perennial Top 10 ranking :)

There is a chance we could get blanked against OKie State. Fix and GFeller aren’t automatic wins for our horses... please show mercy of/when that happens.

There is a chance we could get blanked against OKie State. Fix and GFeller aren’t automatic wins for our horses... please show mercy of/when that happens.

I'd be surprised if GFeller wins against AA but not at all if Fix beats Suriano. But you're correct, a beatdown is looming.

I'd be surprised if GFeller wins against AA but not at all if Fix beats Suriano. But you're correct, a beatdown is looming.

394.jpg

I'd also think 157 and 184 are doable for Rutgers if both guys are healthy. But that's probably it.

Just curious and obviously being ignorant of it all, has PSU and Rutgers always had such animus between them? Or, is this just since the Suriano "controversy" that this has developed?

I found some medication that might make that feel better.

Campolotano had one loss too out of state. The record calls them losses.

Until we can recruit out of Blair and some of these other private schools, it’ll be tough to move the ball past midfield (love the above football analogy)

In NJ, people are sending their kids to blair and Christian brothers type schools so they don’t go to Rutgers. Hell, I never went to Rutgers. My parents would have considered that a safety school for better or worse.

Wasn't Campalotatno's loss to Mike Evans AFTER he transferred to Blair Academy?

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT