ADVERTISEMENT

Snap counts, Iowa game....

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC

Some interesting thoughts mentioned.... particularly laone getting more snaps than Wromley. Is he in the process of passing up Wormley or was this due to loane getting PT once the game was pretty much decided.....
  • This game was the largest play disparity (64) of any game featuring 2 FBS teams in over 5 years.
  • Theo Johnson’s nine more snaps than Tyler Warren was their largest disparity in snaps all season.
  • Except for Abdul Carter, no one on defense had 25 or more snaps.
  • I noticed several defensive plays that did not feature a defensive tackle. A new wrinkle in Manny Diaz’ scheme perhaps?
  • This was the first game this season that Vega Iaone had more snaps than Sal Wormley.
  • Drew Shelton only appeared on 15 snaps, his lowest total of the season.
  • Six wide receivers had at least 21 snaps. Welcome back Harrison Wallace!

The no DT plays…..Was this an experiment on how to counter Michigan Big Beef? See how quick DEs can split bigger, slower O linemen?

Could be a very interesting storyline.
Don't think that would go well. Maybe against OSUs spread attack.

Had to laugh about the DE snap counts --- low totals, high impact on the game

Chop Robinson: 23 (122)
Adisa Isaac: 18 (91)
Dani Dennis-Sutton: 13 (105)
Zuriah Fisher: 11 (79)
Amin Vanover: 9 (29)

Reactions: Obliviax
Interesting. I didn't notice the lack of DTs but always wonder when it is 3rd and 10+ why teams don't put uber quick guys on the DL. I mean, if they get pushed back five yards, who cares? If they can sidestep the blocker and get to the seam, all would be good.

Reactions: hlstone and tboyer
When Iowa has less than 40 snaps and we sub like we do, it's tough for anybody to get a lot of snaps and stats. Our defense has been on the field 86 less total plays this year through week 4 compared to last year. That should pay dividends by OSU and Michigan games.

The 3 DEs tweak to the Prowler package should work against anyone if we get them in 3rd and long. Chop in the middle is a much better pass rusher than our 3T DEs. We didn't get Michigan in 3rd and long enough last year for it to matter who was on the field. Lol

Interesting. I didn't notice the lack of DTs but always wonder when it is 3rd and 10+ why teams don't put uber quick guys on the DL. I mean, if they get pushed back five yards, who cares? If they can sidestep the blocker and get to the seam, all would be good.
A lot of teams take out a DT on 3rd and 10, but usually they replace with a linebacker or a nickel back. What was unusual was PSU inserting a 3rd DE but it makes sense because PSU has a lot of super fast DEs who can get to the QB as fast as a linebacker or a nickel back.

Reactions: Obliviax
A lot of teams take out a DT on 3rd and 10, but usually they replace with a linebacker or a nickel back. What was unusual was PSU inserting a 3rd DE but it makes sense because PSU has a lot of super fast DEs who can get to the QB as fast as a linebacker or a nickel back.
OSU has been doing this for years. Of course, they always have a boatload of DEs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT