ADVERTISEMENT

Reno TOC Teams

AgSurfer

Aug 9, 2013
The Reno TOC web page has most of the competing teams listed although there may be some late entries that will be posted later.

On the college side, the team title will obviously be a battle for early supremacy between PSU and Ok State. The other teams will be fighting for 3rd place, but there are some potentially good individual matchups. Suriano will get some exposure, and he should be right in the mix. I think returning AA Conner Schram from Stanford could be a good challenge for him. Another possibility is Drew Templeman from Wyoming who had a pretty good season last year. I'm not sure who will be the best guys at 133, but if Brock is healthy, he would be a good one for Cortez. At 141 there is Heil and McKenna and on a good day I think Jimmy can be right in there too. There is no contest for 149 unless you call competing for the chance to be trounced in the finals a contest. We should see Nolf vs Jo Jo at 157, possibly Cenzo vs Chandler Rogers at 165 if Rogers can make the cut and stay healthy. (and if Cenzo makes weight this time) The mix between 174 and 197 depends on who goes at what weight. I'm just taking a wait and see attitude right now. I'm not sure who the other teams have at Hwy, but I'm looking forward to seeing a healthy Nevills go at it.

On the high school side, there are some interesting entries with Penn State connections. Allen HS from Allen, TX will be there. That's Bo's HS and I'm guessing his dad is still the head coach. His previous HS before moving to TX will also be there - Rio Rancho from NM. Bakersfield HS from CA is listed too. That's Jake Varner's HS. And last, but far from least, is Wasatch HS from Heber City, UT. That's the former HS of none other than Cael Sanderson. In fact, if you look back at the Reno archive of past winners, you'll see Cael listed somewhere back around the 1995 to 1997 timeframe.

As if there was anybody wondering, I'll kill all of the suspense...I'll be there. (I get to see Oklahoma State twice, in two different time zones, in three days...I'll be at their Friday night dual against Cornell)

Reactions: hlstone
As if there was anybody wondering, I'll kill all of the suspense...I'll be there. (I get to see Oklahoma State twice, in two different time zones, in three days...I'll be at their Friday night dual against Cornell)

I'm going to try really hard to make it too. There will be old friends there from various parts of the US that I haven't seen in a long time, so there is some extra motivation to make the trip beyond watching Penn State once again beat Ok State for a team title. The one caveat is the weather. I'll have to drive straight north on 395 and there is a possibility of the passes being blocked by snow at that time of the year.

PS - I forgot to mention that Bryce Meredith from Wyoming will also be there at 141. That could be the most interesting weight class for the college tournament.

The Reno TOC web page has most of the competing teams listed although there may be some late entries that will be posted later.

On the high school side, there are some interesting entries with Penn State connections. Allen HS from Allen, TX will be there. That's Bo's HS and I'm guessing his dad is still the head coach. .
AgSurfer, when was Bo's dad the head coach at Allen? We have seen them at tournaments here in OK for years, and I thought that Jerry Best had been head coach since about 2000. I didn't know it was Bo's dad.

I'm going to try really hard to make it too. There will be old friends there from various parts of the US that I haven't seen in a long time, so there is some extra motivation to make the trip beyond watching Penn State once again beat Ok State for a team title. The one caveat is the weather. I'll have to drive straight north on 395 and there is a possibility of the passes being blocked by snow at that time of the year.

Yeah I'm going to try and make it too, but I'm worried about the weather.

Do we know for sure OSU is being all their starters? At Reno in the past, sometimes they do and sometimes they bring mostly back-ups and RS's. With them wrestling Cornell just 2 days before Reno, I'm not sure they're bringing all/most of their starters.

AgSurfer, when was Bo's dad the head coach at Allen? We have seen them at tournaments here in OK for years, and I thought that Jerry Best had been head coach since about 2000. I didn't know it was Bo's dad.
It is Jerry Best

Do we know for sure OSU is being all their starters? At Reno in the past, sometimes they do and sometimes they bring mostly back-ups and RS's. With them wrestling Cornell just 2 days before Reno, I'm not sure they're bringing all/most of their starters.
Maybe a mix, with any of the starters nursing any nagging minor injuries at home, otherwise....

That was an assumption on my part. I know that Bo's dad (Jason) was the head coach at Rio Rancho HS in NM before they moved to Allen TX. I just figured he continued on there. I'd be surprised if he wasn't somehow involved with the program while Bo was there, even if it was just as a volunteer assistant.

That was an assumption on my part. I know that Bo's dad (Jason) was the head coach at Rio Rancho HS in NM before they moved to Allen TX. I just figured he continued on there. I'd be surprised if he wasn't somehow involved with the program while Bo was there, even if it was just as a volunteer assistant.
I didnt know if it was before then, or if I just thought Jerry was the head coach, or what. Didn't know that Bo's dad was a coach, even. Helps explain some things!

I didnt know if it was before then, or if I just thought Jerry was the head coach, or what. Didn't know that Bo's dad was a coach, even. Helps explain some things!

Here's a really ironic story for you. When Penn State came to CA last year, I went to both duals. At the CSU Bakersfield dual, I naturally chose to sit with the Penn State "crowd" where it's safe to assume we were vastly outnumbered. I sent a couple of texts to a good friend who was the head coach for a HS in WA. (Bonney Lake - they will be at Reno) I had lived there for a few years and got pretty involved with the HS wrestling program which was pretty good. They had the good luck to have the recent addition of two brothers who had just moved there from NM because their dad had been reassigned to teach ROTC at University of WA. Their HS in NM was Rio Rancho which has a really strong program.

There were two guys sitting in front of me, and one of them stood up and turned around and I saw he was wearing a Rio Rancho shirt. I asked him if by any chance he knew the family that I knew from WA and the guy who was sitting with him got up and turned around and told me he was their coach! That guy was Bo's dad. I was floored. I showed him my cellphone and told him that I had just sent a text to their coach in WA.

Needless to say, we were all really surprised at the coincidence. I went to the Stanford match on Sunday and brought him a photo of his former wrestler in the state finals in WA. ( he won) I also had a chance to talk with Bo briefly after the dual was over and told him that I knew the two boys who had been his friends and former teammates. I also got a photo of Bo and his dad and the other guy who was with them (it may have been Bo's uncle) and sent it to the family from WA. They were also quite surprised.

The same WA HS team will be at Reno and I'm really hoping that everyone will get a chance to meet. I'm pretty sure Bo's dad will be there assuming Penn State sends their best lineup.

Sorry, man, I think MT has a good heart and a helluva sense of humor, but limited knowledge of smily face etiquette so sometimes his humor isn't interpreted well.
The great ones are always so misunderstood. I'm just to deep for some (simple minded) people. The cross that I have to bear CowboyUp61. Is this where I post some smily faces when I'm serious or not? :):):):)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT