ADVERTISEMENT

US Open-Entries

Funny thing is, his entire interview personifies someone bothered by what others think.
What other people think of me is none of my business.

You are right, despite saying it doesn't matter he seems overly concerned with other's opinions of him.

Reactions: donboy6499
Well ..... it's going to be interesting. When was the last time Lee wrestled in a senior level freestyle event?

Well ..... it's going to be interesting. When was the last time Lee wrestled in a senior level freestyle event?
4 tech falls at US Nationals in December 2019, including over Vito and Darien Cruz, and a decision over Nato in the finals.

Reactions: hlstone
Here’s the thing. I think it’s very likely that he’s not (and will never be) 100 percent because he never rehabbed and recovered entirely/correctly. But, uh, who made that decision?
This is a mistake that he’s made repeatedly, and the injuries he’s never let heal are becoming chronic roadblocks to his wrestling goals. I was really hoping he’d skip this tournament and skip the 24 cycle altogether and get his knees fixed the right way and fully rehabbed for 28, but it looks like that’s not happening. It’s really a shame. His natural talent is off the charts, but it’s not going to matter if he needs a walker by the time he’s 25.

Lee's knees are typically fine in the early rounds against weaker opponents so I don't expect a flareup until he runs into someone on his talent level in the later rounds.
Beg to differ my friend. He doesn't need strong knees to evicerate weaker competition. Even with full rest his knees aren't anywhere near 100% and it has affected his offense significantly. I don't think this translates well to world freestyle at this point in time. He admittedly can't run and train properly. It's not about fading in tourneys. Truth be told wether he did it himself or with pressure from the Brands, he never should have come back this year. Think about it double ACL surgery and he was competing again in 8 months. Downright stupid in my book. He should now take a full year off. Just sayin. I seriously doubt Cael would have allowed him back (i.e. Suriano) no matter how bad he wanted it. I suspect Brands and his maniacle fixation on beating PSU last year affected his judgement. Regardless of where anyone wants to point a finger, competing last year cost him his dream of being a 4xer and most likely cost him this Olympic cycle as well. Spencer's decision making has been questionable dating all the way back to when he committed to Iowa :). Consequences :-(

I mean, I think it's pretty clear that he could have wrestled consis if he wanted to, and it's a shame IMO that he didn't (but that's his decision, so whatever), but I'm sure he's not 100%, either. Spencer has made the mistake of trying to wrestle through significant injuries in the past instead of letting them fully heal first, and it looks like history repeating itself now. Given the caliber of this field with guys like Suriano and Glory and the aura of invincibility shattered, I wouldn't be shocked to see Spencer lose here (and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him lose to Gilman in Final X even if he does successfully run the gauntlet here).
Well, let's hope he gets to Gilman...

Reactions: Ski and billrag
Beg to differ my friend. He doesn't need strong knees to evicerate weaker competition. Even with full rest his knees aren't anywhere near 100% and it has affected his offense significantly. I don't think this translates well to world freestyle at this point in time. He admittedly can't run and train properly. It's not about fading in tourneys. Truth be told wether he did it himself or with pressure from the Brands, he never should have come back this year. Think about it double ACL surgery and he was competing again in 8 months. Downright stupid in my book. He should now take a full year off. Just sayin. I seriously doubt Cael would have allowed him back (i.e. Suriano) no matter how bad he wanted it. I suspect Brands and his maniacle fixation on beating PSU last year affected his judgement. Regardless of where anyone wants to point a finger, competing last year cost him his dream of being a 4xer and most likely cost him this Olympic cycle as well. Spencer's decision making has been questionable dating all the way back to when he committed to Iowa :). Consequences :-(
The bigger mistake was trying to wrestle last year when both ACLs were still torn. That set his surgery back 10 months. If he has the surgery in April 21 and then took the 21-22 season off completely, he’d have been in a much better place in his rehab for the 22-23 season. His competitiveness (and “excuses are for wusses” mentality) has led to reckless decisions with his health, and it’s costing him.

The bigger mistake was trying to wrestle last year when both ACLs were still torn. That set his surgery back 10 months. If he has the surgery in April 21 and then took the 21-22 season off completely, he’d have been in a much better place in his rehab for the 22-23 season. His competitiveness (and “excuses are for wusses” mentality) has led to reckless decisions with his health, and it’s costing him.
does he even have knees anymore?

A bunch more wrestlers registered. Only NLWC guy is Morgan McIntosh at 92kg, which is one of the most open weight classes

Weight classes are really filling up. At U20 level a couple weights have gotten pretty deep.

U20 65kg-Tyler Kasak, Koy Buesgens, Pierson Manville, Vince Cornella, Kannon Webster, Kaleb Larkin, Greyson Clark, and Jesse Mendez are some of the top guys

U20 70kg-Jackson Arrington, Cody Chittum, Meyer Shapiro, Michael Kilic, William Henckel, Nicco Ruiz, Daniel Cardenas, Jordan Williams, Beau Mantanona, and Paniro Johnson are all registered

U20 79kg-Rocco Welsh, Josh Barr, Gabe Arnold, Noah Mulvaney, Luca Augustine, Lucas Condon, Lorenzo Norman, and MJ Gaitan are just a few of the names I recognized

U20 86kg-Connor Mirasola, Payton Thomas, Clayton Whiting, Lenny Pinto, TJ Stewart, Rylan Rogers, Tate Naaktgeboren, Max McEnelly, Seth Shumate, Wyatt Voelker, Bennett Berge, and Brayden Thompson. Has to be the deepest weight at the U20 level

Weight classes are really filling up. At U20 level a couple weights have gotten pretty deep.

U20 65kg-Tyler Kasak, Koy Buesgens, Pierson Manville, Vince Cornella, Kannon Webster, Kaleb Larkin, Greyson Clark, and Jesse Mendez are some of the top guys

U20 70kg-Jackson Arrington, Cody Chittum, Meyer Shapiro, Michael Kilic, William Henckel, Nicco Ruiz, Daniel Cardenas, Jordan Williams, Beau Mantanona, and Paniro Johnson are all registered

U20 79kg-Rocco Welsh, Josh Barr, Gabe Arnold, Noah Mulvaney, Luca Augustine, Lucas Condon, Lorenzo Norman, and MJ Gaitan are just a few of the names I recognized

U20 86kg-Connor Mirasola, Payton Thomas, Clayton Whiting, Lenny Pinto, TJ Stewart, Rylan Rogers, Tate Naaktgeboren, Max McEnelly, Seth Shumate, Wyatt Voelker, Bennett Berge, and Brayden Thompson. Has to be the deepest weight at the U20 level
Thanks zzz!

Man, seniors at 97kg is weak - haven't even heard of most of these guys. With the Synder/Cox gauntlet maybe people are going down to avoid that.

Freestyle is Spencer's best style. Elite gut and lace. Less physically taxing.

My only doubt is whether his mobility will fully recover. He wasn't hurt so bad that he shouldn't have won NCAA"s, but I thought his explosiveness and speed were noticeably diminished from past years, especially as the tournament wore on. He definitely didn't look like Spencer.

It was most noticeable on his high crotch. His high crotch is very level-change oriented. He drops and springs. It requires hip and knee flexibility. He didn't have the same pop this year imo. I've never seen him get stuffed on so many high crotch/fireman's attempts.

What's your prediction if he does go this year??
I am not sure he's ready this year...

Man, seniors at 97kg is weak - haven't even heard of most of these guys. With the Synder/Cox gauntlet maybe people are going down to avoid that.
Is Cox going 97kg or 92kg? He has been at 92 in recent years.

97 kg, according to the registration list linked in the OP.

The only other notable 97 kg guy listed is Macchiavello.
Thanks El Jefe. That surprises me since his path to making the team and winning a medal are much better at 92kg, at least IMHO.

Thanks El Jefe. That surprises me since his path to making the team and winning a medal are much better at 92kg, at least IMHO.
I think it's all about putting himself in the best possible position to make the Olympic team. He's won world titles already, but not Olympic Gold. If he medals this year at 97kg, he gets a bye to the finals at trials. If he medals at 92kg, and they follow the same procedure as 2020/2021, he'll only get a bye to the semis.

I think it's all about putting himself in the best possible position to make the Olympic team. He's won world titles already, but not Olympic Gold. If he medals this year at 97kg, he gets a bye to the finals at trials. If he medals at 92kg, and they follow the same procedure as 2020/2021, he'll only get a bye to the semis.

Looks like there were some requests to do the other weights so I’ll finish off U20

U20 57kg-Alan Koehler, Nicolar Rivera, Ethan Berginc, Jacob VanDee, Vinny Kilkeary, Adrian Meza, Gabe Whisenhunt, Jore Volk, Troy Spratley, Spencer Moore, and all throw in PSU commit Cael Nasdeo

U20 61kg-Dalton Perry, Zan Fuggit, Drew Gorman, Kyler Larkin, Cael Hughes, Zeke Seltzer, Emilio Ysaguirre, Jr., Nic Bouzakis, JJ McComas-Rogers, Cory Land, Derrick Cardinal, and Nasir Bailey.

U20 74kg-Joseph Sealey, Thor Michaelson, Jasiah Queen, Charlie Millard, Hunter Garvin, Jared Keslar, Stoney Buell, Kamdyn Munro, Mitchell Mesenbrink, Tyler Lillard, and Manny Rojas

U20 92kg-Jack Darrah, Gavin Nelson, Cole Mirasola, Mac Stout, Jack Wehmeyer, Stephen Little, Gabe Sollars, and Joey Novak

U20 97kg-Sawyer Bartelt, Camden McDanel, Joey Braunagel, and Noah Pettigrew. Super weak weight overall. Bartelt and McDanel are very good though

U20 125kg-Chase Horne, Aden Attao, Nicholas Pavchelko, Max Acciardi, Harley Andrews, Ryan Boersma, Nathan Taylor, Juan Mora, Damarian Lopez, Daniel Herrera, and Christian Carroll

I’ll try and do the U17 level sometime soon

94c5f-13077063_1253436361335011_7966801894825095631_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT