ADVERTISEMENT

Question for EZ Pass users

PSU95alum

Jul 27, 2006
So I finally got an EZ Pass. Will the EZ Pass work properly if you place it up high on the inside of the windshield where the windshield is tinted? The directions say not to do so, but I hate seeing the EZ Pass from the outside. I'd much rather have the top 4 inches of window tint hide it form view.

Reactions: Nitt1300
They can be a PITA if placed incorrectly- sometimes reading ok and sometimes not, so you're always correcting max toll charges. Try it, but keep an eye on your account

So I finally got an EZ Pass. Will the EZ Pass work properly if you place it up high on the inside of the windshield where the windshield is tinted? The directions say not to do so, but I hate seeing the EZ Pass from the outside. I'd much rather have the top 4 inches of window tint hide it form view.
I guess your not a "stay within the lines" kind of a guy. Remember, the lines are your friend!! Don't worry they will get you. One way or the other. They will either capture your toll or charge you for skipping the toll. Good luck!!

A suggestion is to store the pass in your glove box until you need it. Then hold it up against the windshield as you pass the sensor. I've done it; it works. Admittedly, however, this can be a pain under some EZPass circumstances.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
I guess your not a "stay within the lines" kind of a guy. Remember, the lines are your friend!! Don't worry they will get you. One way or the other. They will either capture your toll or charge you for skipping the toll. Good luck!!

My windshield is tinted and it did not work. But there was a small non tinted section carved out at the top of the windshield and we placed the device there.

There is also a license plate device option if the windshield does not work.

It should read it.

I don't affix mine because I use different cars but I have had it in my cup holder and it still read it.

I also have one for my bike and have it in a pouch on the windshield and it reads it.

You should not have an issue.
It has read it in my glove compartment. As long as it isn't in that original package with that "foil" lining. It should read it. Don't have totally tinted windows except for top. One car it is on window other car usually just pull out of package.

It should read it.

I don't affix mine because I use different cars but I have had it in my cup holder and it still read it.

I also have one for my bike and have it in a pouch on the windshield and it reads it.

Why don't you get multiple tags? If you have reason not to, suggest those holders that are open at the top from which you can slide the tag in and out.

It should read it.

I have one mounted inside the windscreen on my bike it frequently didn't read until I mounted it upside down- now it's fine

I have mine Velcro'd to the back side of my rear view mirror. Works fine.

Why don't you get multiple tags? If you have reason not to, suggest those holders that are open at the top from which you can slide the tag in and out.

I have one for the two cars I own and one for the motorcycles. They charge different rates.

I don't like the holders on the windshield

I have mine in my glove compartment, and have had no issues having it read for years.

speaking of reading, it's a wonder that I saw anything in this thread after catching a view of 'ro's sig. When did you change the sig, 'ro? That might be a top-10, or top-5, of your infamous sigs. ;)

I have mine in my glove compartment, and have had no issues having it read for years.

speaking of reading, it's a wonder that I saw anything in this thread after catching a view of 'ro's sig. When did you change the sig, 'ro? That might be a top-10, or top-5, of your infamous sigs. ;)

Earlier this afternoon. I had the girl jogging without her bra for a while. Finally realized that no matter how times I posted the sig pic the top wasnt going to come off.

They used to make logo plates that hide the box, so instead of a white square, you saw say a PSU logo.

But then I realized I don't care if other people saw a small square on my windshield, especially now that they are half the size they used to be. Just stick it so your rearview mirror hides it from your view and enjoy the convenience.

It should read it.

Same. I've also had mine in my computer case in the front seat and it worked.
If it doesn't, getting the $25 fee removed is relatively easy now. They don't question anything. You call the EZ pass customer service line and they refund the $25 and you pay the original toll. Not a big deal if you screw up occasionally.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the answers. Lots of different responses. I guess Ill try some different options and see what works best, while keeping track of my account to make sure I'm not getting the shaft. For what it's worth, I also stuck mine off to the right behind the review mirror as to avoid line of site. I just don't like seeing it from outside the car (stupid, I know). Thanks!

I place mine on the dashboard in front of the steering wheel. Never had an issue. Always make sure you get the green light when passing through, otherwise, the state is going to whack you.

PA Turnpike EZPass readers at the exits are great and will scan it from glove boxes, etc.

However, you will have to adjust if you travel the NYS Thruway. NY has the worst EZPass scanners I've encountered. You will have to do a windshield mount and plan on going no more than 5 mph through the gate and even then it won't be read 100% of the time. Holding it against the windshield doesn't help.

I use the Velcro and have it on the glass behind the mirror. I can't see it, but the front seat passenger is able to see it.
I'll second this- as I wrote above, I had a lot of issues with the one on my bike until I turned it upside down. My problem was always on the NY Thruway. Maine (and now MA) got rid of their booths, they can read your tag at 70mph. I've never had it miss a read in either state. NY is still in the stone age.

PA Turnpike EZPass readers at the exits are great and will scan it from glove boxes, etc.

However, you will have to adjust if you travel the NYS Thruway. NY has the worst EZPass scanners I've encountered. You will have to do a windshield mount and plan on going no more than 5 mph through the gate and even then it won't be read 100% of the time. Holding it against the windshield doesn't help.

I use the Velcro and have it on the glass behind the mirror. I can't see it, but the front seat passenger is able to see it.

For the most part I agree. Just be cautious at the Bedford exchange. They nailed me for not having a pass (when it on my windshield and the light turned green). When I got the letter and charge they had me actually entering and exiting at the same time. LOL.
Its always good to take a look at your account online after a trip.

Thanks for all the answers. Lots of different responses. I guess Ill try some different options and see what works best, while keeping track of my account to make sure I'm not getting the shaft. For what it's worth, I also stuck mine off to the right behind the review mirror as to avoid line of site. I just don't like seeing it from outside the car (stupid, I know). Thanks!

Threads like this are why I love this board. And also to see all the varied opinions. Like you not wanting to see the EZ Pass reader from outside the car. It never dawned on me that that might be an issue for someone. And it's totally cool that it is and I don't think it's stupid, it's just your thing.

For the record, I'm also one who affixes the EZ Pass reader to the inside of the windshield behind the rearview mirror so as not to interfere with my line of sight. Good luck.

Reactions: PSU95alum
I always mount mine behind the rear view mirror.

As an aside, I will bet it matters if your tint is semi-metallic or not.

My windshield is tinted and it did not work. But there was a small non tinted section carved out at the top of the windshield and we placed the device there.

There is also a license plate device option if the windshield does not work.

Probably already covered here, but to my knowledge standard/common tinting has negligble impact on Ezpass ... about ten years ago there were certain FoMoCo models (Lincoln Continental, high-zoot Ford Freestyle trims) that had an optional coated windshield that had a copper reflectivity (clearly noticable as one approached you on the road - haven't seen these in quite some time) ... these types of windshield coatings prompted a default to the license plate frame transmitter as opposed to the windshield mount...

There is also a blue EZ pass reader for vehicles that tow trailers. There is usually an extra charge for an additional axle so the blue reader is linked to an additional axle on a trailer. You can also list your trailer license plates on your EZ pass internet profile. I do this for my boat trailers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT