ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Vs. Ohio St.

Admirable that the Buckeyes are in the mix after losing Tomasello, B. Jordan, and Snyder from last year's team. Losing 3/4 more this year (4 if you count Campbell), yet with recruiting success, one can see those openings plugged with really good wrestlers. It's not a bad thing having tOSU as our conference "rivalry" team.
The Bucks are exceptional at that recruit them first, develop them second thing.

Reactions: pawrest01
Admirable that the Buckeyes are in the mix after losing Tomasello, B. Jordan, and Snyder from last year's team. Losing 3/4 more this year (4 if you count Campbell), yet with recruiting success, one can see those openings plugged with really good wrestlers. It's not a bad thing having tOSU as our conference "rivalry" team.
Next years team for osu will be a fun young team to watch.
125: malik (May actually grow into the weight by then)
133: pletcher
141: hayes (seems crazy but it’s his natural weight)
149: Sasso (don’t think u lose much of anything here)
157: mattox
165: kharchla (think he beats out Romero)
174: smith ( could push to low aa level)
184: Hoffman
197: Moore
Hwt: singletary unless Kerk goes

Reactions: Dar.of.Emur
Next years team for osu will be a fun young team to watch.
125: malik (May actually grow into the weight by then)
133: pletcher
141: hayes (seems crazy but it’s his natural weight)
149: Sasso (don’t think u lose much of anything here)
157: mattox
165: kharchla (think he beats out Romero)
174: smith ( could push to low aa level)
184: Hoffman
197: Moore
Hwt: singletary unless Kerk goes

Scary enough lineup that Brands will duck at least 2-3 Bucks.

Spencer >>> Heinselman
Desanto = Pletcher
Hayes > Murin
Sasso > Lugo
Young
> Mattox
Marinelli >> Kharchla
Kemerer >> Smith
Hoffman = Wilcke
Moore > Warner
Cassioppi
> Singletary
For ease of counting, I colorized one team’s wrestlers. :)

Reactions: Reslo
Shane is fired up that he taped this in a bomb shelter to shield the public from all the heat

Reactions: danoftw
This is actually a good sign. LP also thought the streak was done against tOSU last year. Then Cassar happened and love was rekindled.

If Cassar gets a pin I'll say LP goes on another vacation. Also, I think he meant to type, Steak is done, my friends! He was obviously starving and that was the reason for his disillusioned comment about the team.

@RoarLions1 I am picking up a friend in OH, and then heading to Columbus. Is the bus stopping somewhere for dinner, before the match? Would love to hook up with the group.
Sorry so late with a response. Not being cryptic...are you a PSWC Member? The info is on the club website. We have around a hundred fans on a couple of buses, and a reservation at a local (Columbus) restaurant.

My humble opinion.

I don't think McKenna, Rasheed, or RBY will go.

125: Heinselman by Decision, 0-3
133: Pletcher TF Stossel, 0-8 (No RBY)
141: Lee TF, 5-8 (No McKenna)
149: Jordan over Berge by Major, 5-12
157: Nolf by Major, 9-12
165: Cenzo by Decision, 12-12
174: Hall by Major, 16-12
184: Martin TF over Manville, 16-17 (No Shak)
197: Nickal by Decision, 19-17
Hwt: Cassar by Major, 23-17 Penn State

If McKenna goes, we will need some breaks to win the dual. Here is my "no breaks" scenario.

125: Heinselman by Decision, 0-3
133: Pletcher TF Stossel, 0-8 (No RBY)
141: McKenna by Decision, 0-11 (If McKenna goes)
149: Jordan over Berge by Major, 0-15
157: Nolf by Major, 4-15
165: Cenzo by Decision, 7-15
174: Hall by Major, 11-15
184: Martin TF over Manville, 11-20 (No Shak)
197: Nickal by Decision 14-20
Hwt: Cassar by Major 18-20 Ohio State

I would not do that because, let's face it, the Dual is just not that important. That said, your idea makes sense in that if this Dual determined the National Championship and we were in the same position injury-wise, it might give us a better chance to score more points. However, it would all hinge on your belief in Manville. If he lost we'd be worse off.

I really wish they made final dual standings worth points at nationals... like best dual team gets 8 team points. Then 6 at second, etc. oh well.

Also, I think Manville can goad mymar into a throwing contest and I hear that the Manville dude is decent at Greco. If mymar doesn’t take the bait though, I am not sure Manville has a chance.

I really wish they made final dual standings worth points at nationals... like best dual team gets 8 team points. Then 6 at second, etc. oh well.

Also, I think Manville can goad mymar into a throwing contest and I hear that the Manville dude is decent at Greco. If mymar doesn’t take the bait though, I am not sure Manville has a chance.
I don't. Not sure what's broke that would create a need to do that...

I don't. Not sure what's broke that would create a need to do that...

Wasn’t there a “team dual championship series” a few years ago but then Iowa wouldnt wrestle VT and it all fell apart?

I meant make that dual meet “tournament” worthy team points at nationals. Not the winner of EWIA, B1G, Big12,MAC if that makes sense.

If you still don’t agree that’s cool too. Just wanted to clarify.

Still trying to figure out how Iowa got the schedule they did. It's like the West division in football but even worse.

That's the rotation. Everybody misses Ohio State and Penn State in the same year. Same with Iowa and Minnesota, Michigan and Michigan State, and the other four sets of travel partners. It just so happens that Iowa misses the Michigan's, Ohio State, and Penn State in the same year. (it happened three years ago as well)

warning crazy idea ahead:

how long would a descent from 197 to 184 take? 1.5% per week would be 5 weeks by my calculations. is it possible bo has been cutting extra weight to take on mymar in the dual? he's only looked like himself (read: first period pin) once since the scuffle. and hey look at that, from scuffle to ohio state dual is right about 5 weeks.

i haven't figured out the part where it benefits the team in any way, someone would still need to wrestle moore. maybe cassar is coming down as well to repeat last year and nevills gets his final dual.

Depends on what the alpha weights were. The 1.5% is taken from the initial alpha weight, not from the compounded weight. If I weighed 200 pounds when I took my initial assessment, I could lose 3 pounds a week, season long, no matter what I weighed at any given point during the season.

Eh .... You are a smelly pirate hooker.

Did somebody say "Pirate"? I'm offended.

Depends on what the alpha weights were. The 1.5% is taken from the initial alpha weight, not from the compounded weight. If I weighed 200 pounds when I took my initial assessment, I could lose 3 pounds a week, season long, no matter what I weighed at any given point during the season.

Interesting. I didn't know this.

Rewatched the Rasheed match and Im less concerned. I don't really think it was that awful of a match. 4 seconds of RT and a hands-to-face penalty point away from being 6-2. But then again, Jelani was a hair away from 2-NF.

Do they make regular season basketball games count for other than seeding. No. So doing anything different in wrestling would be idiotic.

Rewatched the Rasheed match and Im less concerned. I don't really think it was that awful of a match. 4 seconds of RT and a hands-to-face penalty point away from being 6-2. But then again, Jelani was a hair away from 2-NF.
He just seemed to gas a bit, and I’d already thought it might have been the “too much energy on the first TD” thing before I heard Cael say it. It seems doubtful he’ll be in peak form a week later but I suppose it’s possible.

Do they make regular season basketball games count for other than seeding. No. So doing anything different in wrestling would be idiotic.

Basketball is a team sport in a way wrestling isn’t. If we can promote a dual championship series that matters by making the prize worth roughly an extra AA at nationals, it seems worth it.

Duals grow the sport. For better or worse duals bring in the money. If you have a way to get them to matter, I’m all ears.

Basketball is a team sport in a way wrestling isn’t. If we can promote a dual championship series that matters by making the prize worth roughly an extra AA at nationals, it seems worth it.

Duals grow the sport. For better or worse duals bring in the money. If you have a way to get them to matter, I’m all ears.
Regular season competition gets you nothing other than qualified and seeded for any other competition other than the PGA FedEx. Yet it is imperative for the health of wrestling?

Wasn’t there a “team dual championship series” a few years ago but then Iowa wouldnt wrestle VT and it all fell apart?

I meant make that dual meet “tournament” worthy team points at nationals. Not the winner of EWIA, B1G, Big12,MAC if that makes sense.

If you still don’t agree that’s cool too. Just wanted to clarify.
There was a Dual Championship Series, as well as an effort to build a system to apply points from the regular season to the national tourney. That proposal is still out there, as I run into in every so often. To my knowledge, it never got much traction overall. Probably still on the NCAA Wrestling Committee's agenda somewhere. I don't get a vote, the whole premise just doesn't make sense to me. Even talked to a couple coaches about it...those I talked with feel the same.

the best dual team is usually one of the top 2 tournament teams as well, right? the past few years (decade?) it's been PSU. Would the tournament be better if PSU started with an extra AA? Would the regular season be better outside of the 4 duals PSU wrestles that are actually competitive anyway?

i don't have a great solution for getting duals to matter. maybe pay the athletes for winning? but wrestling already loses money for most schools so that probably doesn't work. i think all we're left with is pride, which matters more to some people than others.

Duals matter so we must change the system to make duals matter.

That's the argument?

Spencer >>> Heinselman
Desanto = Pletcher
Hayes > Murin
Sasso > Lugo
Young > Mattox
Marinelli >> Kharchla
Kemerer >> Smith
Hoffman = Wilcke
Moore > Warner
Cassioppi > Singletary
So when considering the plan, which one or two kids do you believe Brands has planned for a "quack" break?

Why is it we just smoked Michigan which beat OSU and we are running scared this match? Don’t get it

My humble opinion:

125: Heinselman dec 3-0
133: Pletcher dec 6-0
141: McKenna dec 9-0
149: Jordan dec 12-0.
157: Nolf MD 12-4. Hayes stalls but Nolf gets the major late on a stall point.
165: Cenzo dec 12-7. Campbell holds it to a dec but MD if he doesn’t go.
174: Hall dec 12-10. Smith is solid and holds his own but Mark wins 5-2.
184: Martin MD 16-10. Thought Rasheed wasn’t moving well against Michigan and Martin is on another level.
197: Nickal dec 16-13 (super pumped for this matchup. I could see Moore shocking the world.)
Hwt: Cassar dec 16-16. Can’t quite get the major as Singletary takes top and rides him out.

PSU wins on criteria

No way in hell Rasheed gets Majored! Nope.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Why is it we just smoked Michigan which beat OSU and we are running scared this match? Don’t get it
If your stud is better than mine, mine scores 0 points in a dual. Nearly everyone is picking a 5/5 split tomorrow, and a few of tOSU studs are probably better than a few of ours (Gimpy RBY, Lee, and Sheed most notably). There could be an upset or two, but on paper, this should be our closest dual in a couple of years at least.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT