ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Penn Match Thread

At the prematch social put on very nicely by the PSWC, someone made a comment about it would have been nice to have Mason Manville around to help the team this year.

If I heard Cody's response correctly, he agreed and said something like that Mason will go out on the mat for any weight and wrestle anyone. It was a high compliment.

If anyone who was there can put in in better context, I would appreciate it.

At the prematch social, put on very nicely by the PSWC, someone made a comment about it would have been nice to have Mason Manville around this season to help the team.

If I heard Cody's response correctly, he agreed and said something on the order that Mason will go out on the mat for any weight class and wrestle anyone. It was a very high compliment.

If anyone who was there can put it in better context, I would appreciate it.

At the prematch social put on very nicely by the PSWC, someone made a comment about it would have been nice to have Mason Manville around to help the team this year.

If I heard Cody's response correctly, he agreed and said something like that Mason will go out on the mat for any weight and wrestle anyone. It was a high compliment.

If anyone who was there can put in in better context, I would appreciate it.

Mason will very much be in the mix for the 165 spot next year. He was wrestling 184 AAs weighing in at high 160s (when he knew he didn't have to cut) He wasn't even be a big 165 really.

Once the 2020 Olympics are over and he can focus on Folkstyle, he's going to be a stud.

Morning! I wanted to share with you how incredibly special it is to see your son in that singlet, hear the fans cheer, and meet all the wonderful people who support this team. This is a special group of young men and we are incredibly blessed to be a part of the team.

I could only imagine! Congrats to your son. From a fan perspective, personally, having Aaron inserted breathed new life into the lineup, got me excited again! Before AB got inserted it was kind of like, ok we’ll wait till January and see what Cael does with lineup. Now that Aaron is in there I look forward to seeing him start his career and carve out his legacy here.

We love AB!!

Morning! I wanted to share with you how incredibly special it is to see your son in that singlet, hear the fans cheer, and meet all the wonderful people who support this team. This is a special group of young men and we are incredibly blessed to be a part of the team.
Aaron wrestled well and looks like a fullsize 184. Future looks bright!

I can't imagine how proud you felt in that atmosphere. Witnessing your sons success was such a wonderful feeling and I'm sure this is only the beginning so such emotions for several years to come, congratulations sir.

I was sitting just behind the scorers table and we could see the trainer pop Conel's shoulder back into place. It hung limp the rest of the match and stayed there as he returned to the locker room. Guy was very clearly in a lot of pain.

Heck of a guy and *if* it's his last match he went out fighting.

John tech falls our board with "Likes Received" to "Messages" and Aaron starting his Tech Fall campaign on the mat. You must be so proud to see your son out there in Blue and White. I can't even image. All the best to you and your family, and we'll see you in Minnesota on Saturday night

With John active with our "forum family", lots of comments here, justifiably as Aaron just hit the mats in a PSU singlet. Many other parents of wrestlers visit here (though fair warning - it's not for everyone given the thoughtless nature of some [very few] posters), so shout out to all of them. The character of the parents of wrestlers in the Penn State program is second to none.

Ok, John, now you’re just piling on. It’s one thing to obliterate the record for post-to-likes ratio upon making your appearance on this board, but it’s another thing to rub our noses in it week after week. Sheesh! Now I see where Aaron gets his drive to dominate. :D

Joking aside, it’s a rare treat to have a parent of one of “our” boys share insights here. Thx for doing that. Like pish69 said, Aaron’s entry into the lineup just turned up the volume on my excitement level to an 11. We Are!!

Reactions: pish69
Nine some years ago, after a match that I can remember, my son a student and I were walking into CC Peppers and I had a copy of Amateur Wrestling magazine in the car. I asked him who in the heck is this Mark Hall kid, a jr high wrestler, ranked in the top 2 by the magazine. My son told me Mark was the real thing. (Funny how some things stick in the brain.)

Fast forward to Mark's freshman year, anytime I would see Mark, i would thank him for coming to State College as he had a ton of options.

Yesterday and as always, he has proved he is the real thing. Mark, congratulations on your 100th win and thank you again for coming to State College!

With John active with our "forum family", lots of comments here, justifiably as Aaron just hit the mats in a PSU singlet. Many other parents of wrestlers visit here (though fair warning - it's not for everyone given the thoughtless nature of some [very few] posters), so shout out to all of them. The character of the parents of wrestlers in the Penn State program is second to none.

RoarLions1, or do I have the right yet as a new member of the Forum to just call you Roar? Other than being one of the most prominent and knowledgeable voices of reason and good manners on this board, are you officially affiliated with PSU wrestling, NLWC or PSWC? I have always wondered.

On another note, it is refreshing to be able to hear directly from Mr. Brooks on this Forum. His insight, genial personality and enthusiasm greatly complement this Forum. RoarLions1, I also appreciate you mentioning that other parents of wrestlers frequent this board. It is easy to lavish praise on the wrestlers and their parents when the wrestlers are as successful as Aaron, but I am positive the parents of all the wrestlers, no matter what their child's win/loss record is, are justifiably proud. In fact, I would not be surprised if the character growth of "less successful" wrestlers might not even be greater than their successful peers. It is not easy to pursue a sport as tough as wrestling when all your hard work is done behind the scenes and you rarely, if ever, get the chance to hear the cheers of the crowd. I believe it is in those "dry seasons" of our lives where character is truly forged. So, for any of you parents who frequent this Forum, you can be assured that the overwhelming majority of us here truly appreciate the hard work and sacrifices of your sons, no matter what their win/loss record is. Kudos to you!

It was Cody. Confirmed.
That explains our team’s supernatural abilities! ;)

pennywise-1-1.jpg

Reactions: Ja1339 and danoftw
This is true. Starting at 10:03 of Byer's pre-match show (https://gopsusports.com/watch/?Live=624&type=Live), Cael talks about 184 and 197. Regarding pulling AB's shirt he said:

"We needed another guy we can count on and who we know is just solid and can compete for a national title, and we feel like that's the guy. I think it adds a lot to our lineup. And if we are going to pull him, we might as well do that now, right, so we have an away match and then this home match, and then he's got some time to get ready a month before we go again. So, it made sense to do it this week instead of waiting if that was ultimately the move."

Regarding 197, Cael said (at 10:50): "Conel still got an opportunity to, you know, turn things around. And Shak's getting close to getting back, so between those 2, we hope we have a higher placer at 197 as well."

That's about as definitive an answer on plans for these weights going forward as we're ever likely to get from Cael. FWIW, I was able to play the archived Byer's audio on my phone but not my desktop computer.

I had to turn off my adblocker and refresh before I could listen on my PC.

Reactions: PSUbluTX
RoarLions1, or do I have the right yet as a new member of the Forum to just call you Roar? Other than being one of the most prominent and knowledgeable voices of reason and good manners on this board, are you officially affiliated with PSU wrestling, NLWC or PSWC? I have always wondered.
"Roar" is fine. My affiliation is unimportant. Here I'm just part of the BWI community.

I have never knowingly seen Roar and Cael at the same time.. just sayin.....

of course, since I don’t know Roar other than through these interwebs, my knowing is severely limited and counts for nothing...

I always thought Roar is the Nittany lion mascot that attends home matches periodically. Always positive on life.

I never had the guts to ask but I think that good looking dude post matches (who must have been good friends with Ridge Riley) might know him. Just a hunch though.

Only Spyker, and Cael probably know.

All of them, :rolleyes: dude can multitask like no other. Cael and Co. gets 100%+ from all who cross the threshold to Rec Hall.

Seriously, at the Navy match, I spoke to a guy who was in the long concession line to get a hot dog. He told me the hot dogs in Rec were among the best he has ever eaten. He was darn serious. Those hot dogs don't cook themselves.

Roar is important to the culture here at State College. I'm "grateful" to all who advance, and enhance all aspects of the program.

All of them, :rolleyes: dude can multitask like no other. Cael and Co. gets 100%+ from all who cross the threshold to Rec Hall.

Seriously, at the Navy match, I spoke to a guy who was in the long concession line to get a hot dog. He told me the hot dogs in Rec were among the best he has ever eaten. He was darn serious. Those hot dogs don't cook themselves.

Roar is important to the culture here at State College. I'm "grateful" to all who advance, and enhance all aspects of the program.

Seriously though, those Rec Hall hot dogs are almost as good as our wrestling team.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Why. What makes them special. I need to know because if they are that good then I'm getting one. I never heard this before lol

They're just good quality weiners. And they're $3, which compared to concessions at most sporting events is a total steal.

...This thread has gotten weird

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT