ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Nebraska 2020 Dual Thread

I was at Lehigh match and posted that I thought Brooks seems to struggle from bottom. I noted that the PSU coaching staff was more animated in his match when he went under than normal.
I think this situation takes time to correct and might be a problem the remainder of the season.

Seemed like he just wasn't sharp enough, and got overpowered again (i.e., like vs. Davison). I hope he gets it going in the next few weeks.
Me too. Not sure 197 is his best weight. Credit to him, though, for doing what’s best for the team.

Lol, I just asked that on the HR thread because I honestly didn't know if he was hurt. Judging from their surprise, it seems like TnT are giving Warner a let's not damage his psyche bye.

Sadly, I think you are correct. And, Shak vs Warner from what I saw from Shak tonight is going to be 0-0 with 2 ride outs. Warner’s a counter wrestler and Shak doesn’t shoot. Ice cream time.

Me too. Not sure 197 is his best weight. Credit to him, though, for doing what’s best for the team.
I don't think Shak has much choice if the rumors that Brooks was beating him are true. Things might be different if Cassar had gotten hurt before the decision to pull Brooks' redshirt, but you can only control what you can control.

Reactions: eddy line
Sadly, I think you are correct. And, Shak vs Warner from what I saw from Shak tonight is going to be 0-0 with 2 ride outs. Warner’s a counter wrestler and Shak doesn’t shoot. Ice cream time.

A healthy Shak attacks constantly. We'll see if one more week makes a difference for him.

I was pleasantly surprised tonight. Hammers hammered. Brooks is fine assuming there is no health issue eluded by others. The process that Roar hammers home is working. Underdogs but we got a shot.

Hey, you don't post on this board too often, but you need to bring some manners with you when you post. Don't ever call a college wrestler for another team what you did in the part that I bolded. That's just not acceptable.
He packs a load of crazy on the Lions Den too. Thanks for the effort Tom.

I was pleasantly surprised tonight. Hammers hammered. Brooks is fine assuming there is no health issue eluded by others. The process that Roar hammers home is working. Underdogs but we got a shot.

Really?? I think all of the hammers look great and all look like they’ve taken a big step .. but every question mark looked terrible tonight. Not sure how you could watch that match and feel good about it.

Reactions: Locolion and Ski
With that logic, Quentin Wright just gave back his first national title.

Awesome post; so true. Quentin’s run that season surprised most everyone outside the room, due to the regular season results. March always brings surprises and our coaches have proven they can get our guys ready mentally. That can overcome a lot of short-sighted hand-wringing from many fans.

Re: Brooks - the kid is amazing an go I am so stoked for his career.

Who saw Cenzo or Mark winning NCs at this stage of their first season?. Brooks will be fine, locked and loaded for March. If he gets top 4 I will be more than pleased, if he gets AA I will be happy as well. We get to watch 4 years of him develop into one of the most feared wrestler's in the nation.

Look what Nick Lee is doing. He not only looks like Zain, but he is punishing guys from neutral and top like Zain.

As for the team race - we all need to chill out. There are three other teams with more guys ranked in the top 10 than us. We have lost a NC for the season, an AA. We have no idea what's going to happen with Berge so that is 3, and Shak is the 4th coming back from a huge injury.

For most other teams a second place finish would be out of the question under similar circumstances.

The only thing that has me nashing my teeth is Verk. I have been a huge defender of his and kept waiting for him to break out. I am resigning myself to the realization he is what he is, and will deliver no points come March. He doesn't seem to be the same wrestler he was 2 years ago and I think it's all mental. Diabetes is no cake walk for sure but he doesn't have the aggressiveness or maybe even the talent to try and keep it close and pull matches out in the final 30 seconds. His poor judgement today nearly cost us the dual, and he (and others) we're the difference in Az. I don't know what the answer is but Cael talks about effort and attitude, and I would rather see Gardner out there losing but giving it his all than Verk "managing"his way to loses.

All things considered we are more than blessed just watching what Mark and Cenzo will do for their swan songs this year, as well as what Nick can bring - the rest are all still pups. It's all good.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Awesome post; so true. Quentin’s run that season surprised most everyone outside the room, due to the regular season results. March always brings surprises and our coaches have proven they can get our guys ready mentally. That can overcome a lot of short-sighted hand-wringing from many fans.
That plus he returned from a significant injury absence during this week in 2011.

Reactions: PSU Yinzer
I was at Lehigh match and posted that I thought Brooks seems to struggle from bottom. I noted that the PSU coaching staff was more animated in his match when he went under than normal.
I think this situation takes time to correct and might be a problem the remainder of the season.
99% of all freshman have their biggest struggle in college getting out from bottom. AB is a freak from neutral who also wrestled in a weak HS wrestling state. He could dominate everyone from neutral in Hs so I expect his learning curve from bottom to be a bit more steep than PA freaks from bottom. He will get there and do it quickly. But it’s still a learning curve

Really?? I think all of the hammers look great and all look like they’ve taken a big step .. but every question mark looked terrible tonight. Not sure how you could watch that match and feel good about it.
What question mark are you referring to?

99% of all freshman have their biggest struggle in college getting out from bottom. AB is a freak from neutral who also wrestled in a weak HS wrestling state. He could dominate everyone from neutral in Hs so I expect his learning curve from bottom to be a bit more steep than PA freaks from bottom. He will get there and do it quickly. But it’s still a learning curve
Yeah, the one part of the match that concerned me was when (was it 1st period or 2nd?) AB got deep on a takedown and had Venz on his butt but couldn't finish. That looked like not enough horsepower. Which can be corrected/improved, but may take until next season to fully develop.

184: #10 Aaron Brooks vs. #6 Tyler Venz

AB's toughest challenge in his young college career.

Per 1
Brooks with a quick TD, and Venz out quickly, 2-1. Venz in on a low single, AB gets an ankle, Venz gets the TD but its waved off, and they are OOB with 1:46. Challenge brick thrown by Manning. On the BTN replay, it does not look like a TD. However, it does look like AB was taken down just as they went OOB. Now CS making sure that the refs knows the challenge brick came out early, and not for the end of the edge. No TD per video review, so it's 2-1, AB. Correct call by the ref, as the later potential TD is not what was challenged. Now they have to figure out what the correct time is. Benz with a pancake that AB rolled thru by Venz with the TD, 2-3. AB is out, 3-3. 1 min left. Stalemate with 43 sec. AB in on a leg, lifts Venz, has him down but can't get the 2nd leg, they scramble. End Fans are booing, and haven't a clue. RT @ 20 sec for Venz

Per 2
Venz takes bottom. He's out quickly, 3-4. AB shoots but misses the leg. Benz in on a leg, AB with the whizzer, but Venz powers thru it, 3-6. Damn. AB is flattened. He works up to his knees. End. RT @ 1:06 for Venz

Per 3
AB takes neutral. Benz in on a leg, switches to a double, back to 1, and gets the TD, 3-8. AB flattened. He tries to work up, and gets cross faced back down. Stall warning on AB. AB works to his knees, and turns around for a rev and tries for a cradle but can't get it, 5-8. End. With 2:17 in RT, it's a 5-9 decision for Venz

AB's 1st loss

17-15, PSU
Aaron will need to get some man strength or stop shooting and play defense .

At some point we put an actual 157 pounder in at 157? I realize these injuries are difficult but it is tough to watch our 149 pound kid getting horsed every week.

The Conel injury really effects this team because you lost AB's shirt and forced Shak up a weight. I really hate to see guys not get a red shirt year because I look at the difference in Zain from his true frosh year to his rs Soph year and it was night and day. I hear guys wanting Beard's shirt pulled and Joe Lee's pulled and I think we need to pump the breaks and ride out this year as is.

... I really hate to see guys not get a red shirt year because I look at the difference in Zain from his true frosh year to his rs Soph year and it was night and day ...
Good point. I wonder how Morgan Macintosh’s career might’ve been different had he had a solid redshirt year and not have had to wrestle as a true freshman up a weight. Maybe his confidence and momentum would have made a difference.

The Conel injury really effects this team because you lost AB's shirt and forced Shak up a weight. I really hate to see guys not get a red shirt year because I look at the difference in Zain from his true frosh year to his rs Soph year and it was night and day. I hear guys wanting Beard's shirt pulled and Joe Lee's pulled and I think we need to pump the breaks and ride out this year as is.
They are all grey shirts,meaning this is their second yr. Out of high school. 125, 149, 157 and 197 are all problems. Berge back to 149 ,Joe Lee 157 Mike beard 197 and 125 is what it is . This will never happen but if it could happen it would be the best line up.

They are all grey shirts,meaning this is their second yr. Out of high school. 125, 149, 157 and 197 are all problems. Berge back to 149 ,Joe Lee 157 Mike beard 197 and 125 is what it is . This will never happen but if it could happen it would be the best line up.
Berge didn't suck enough weight last year, you'd make him wrestle part-time again this year?

Hey, you don't post on this board too often, but you need to bring some manners with you when you post. Don't ever call a college wrestler for another team what you did in the part that I bolded. That's just not acceptable.

Ditto that.

Just wanted to give myself and other kudos for internalizing some of the bad parts from last nights match and not jumping ship on a very young team, on the road against a team that has serviceable wrestlers at each weight and is ranked in the top 10.

Im pretty sure I would have banned myself for some of the things I muttered last night in my living room, had I typed them out.

Tough match. Brooks looks like a baby Ed Ruth to me. He will learn from this, No shame Venz is tough motha but Brooks will be ready next year for him.

Ed Ruth was fabulous as a redshirt freshman. Tremendous skill, speed and power. Great from the top position and on his feet. It is early and maybe he is hurt but AB, for now, doesn't remind me at all of a redshirt freshman named Ed Ruth.

I don't mind Chertow at all. Maybe it's because I was a student when he was wrestling for PSU, maybe it's because my kids attended his camp at times or maybe it's because I value his knowledge. Yeah, he has the metabolism of a shrew and he can be excitable, but I don't mind him at all. Probably the only thing that truly bothers me about him is when he doesn't know the PSU wrestler's name, which is unacceptable, but otherwise, I'm OK with him.

A few musing from inside the arena:

1. Hats off to Nebraska... National TV audience, and they delivered. The boys came to wrestle their best and the 5,960+ were loudly behind them. It was a really electric atmosphere in the arena.:D

2. Speaking of the arena... just a beautiful arena, which is very important since B1G tourney is anticipated to be there in 2022 after PSU next year. Not a bad sight line in the place and i was told it will hold 9,000 full. Most of the seating is chair back; however, the lower potions are bleachers as they get “pushed in” for some sports, and likely will to accommodate all the mats for B1Gs. Only real negative... it’s out in no man’s land with no bars or restaurants around it, and parking flow not very good... so between sessions will be inconvenient. o_O

3. The officiating was a bit to be desired. RBY’s pin was missed when the ref being originally in the the right position to make the call inexplicably moved opposite side where he could see nothing. The stalling call on Pipher while he’s clearly trying get off bottom on his knees or tripod position was ridiculous while their guy just hung on top not even pretending to be working for a turning combo. Then calling it the opposite way against PSU... :( but here’s why:

4. The one really big negative of the night was the behavior of Coach Manning and all his assistants. I was seated center aisle, center mat on the team side of the mat. Coach Manning or his assistants actually led the cheers for stalling... turning to the crowd and pumping their stall fists in the air starting the mob chanting. Often, the minute one of their guys got a take down, within seconds they pleaded for a stall and wound up the crowd. It was really a pathetic sight to see :eek:... and more inside baseball:

5. In the takedown challenge... Manning acting in a childish pique threw the brick on the first “non call” (which from my position was not a take down) but action continued to the edge where a hand was down with a foot in bounds. I remember saying to myself... “whew, good thing he challenged the first non-take down”... then as everyone is talking to their wrestlers, one of Manning’s asst quietly wandered over to the official and pointed to the spot of the second takedown. Thank goodness Cael et alii figured it out before it was announced. What little respect I had left for Nebraska coaching staff got totally flushed at that point. :mad:

so... take it for what the above is... just my opinions ... take’m or leave them! :p

Last edited:
Ed Ruth was fabulous as a redshirt freshman. Tremendous skill, speed and power. Great from the top position and on his feet. It is early and maybe he is hurt but AB, for now, doesn't remind me at all of a redshirt freshman named Ed Ruth.

I'm not surprised, it was well known that we'd come back to the pack after Ruth and Taylor graduated.:rolleyes:;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT