ADVERTISEMENT

PSU MBB Game tonight on CBSSN

Man.... this Bolton kid.

I don’t know what else they have (probably not much to choose from) but he needs to stop being “what he’s being” pretty soon :)

Just a freshman - - but between the DePaul game and this one, he has to at least learn to step back and not allow his play to sink the team. Give the ball up and let the game come to you kid.
I’m guessing, like a lot of freshman one would suppose, that he’s still used to being a one-man wrecking crew as a HS kid.

You gotta find a way to “grow” these freshman..... but these two games he has given away (assuming this one doesn’t turn around) May very well be HUGE come NCAA selection time.
There will be others like these that will render them irrelevant.

Hard to win a game when you shoot 4-27 from behind the 3 pt line.

Hard to believe they actually had a shot off the missed free throw to tie it at the buzzer. With that amount of time that’ll happen maybe 1% of the time.

Reactions: bdgan

Hard to believe they actually had a shot off the missed free throw to tie it at the buzzer. With that amount of time that’ll happen maybe 1% of the time.

I can't believe that actually worked but in a poetic justice finish, another 3 clanked off the rim. They spent the last 2-2 1/2 minutes at the same score and there was no need to chuck as much as they did. Get the ball inside, drive to the basket, get to the free throw line. Basketball isn't that difficult. But instead, they just dribble around and then chuck up a contested 3 rather than working it around for an open look.

The team looked tired tonight. I seriously wonder if they spent too much time in the sun today.

Reactions: johnmpsu

It looked like Stevens was trying to make that shot. What are the chances you can get a steal and score in 1.5 seconds? Certainly no chance to foul and get the ball back down the court.

Everyone on the court outside of Lamar looked like they had no clue about their role in the game. Guys setting high screens for no reason, no penetration, no meaningful flow to the offense. Embarrassingly bad offense. Chambers exposed and should be pushed out after this year. If* Chsmbers implemented any offense last year, the team gets into the dance without a doubt. I get the sense that he has zero control over these guys.

It looked like Stevens was trying to make that shot. What are the chances you can get a steal and score in 1.5 seconds? Certainly no chance to foul and get the ball back down the court.

Maybe just me, but I thought he arced his free throw a lot higher, as if he was hoping for a high bounce off the rim.

Remarkable that the ball got tipped out and a clean 3pt shot actually beat the buzzer.

That would have been THE PLAY OF THE DAY on SPORTSCENTER if it had gone in!

PSU's half court offense is pretty much limited to clearing out for Stevens but eveybody double teams him.

Reaves is not much of an offensive threat. Bolton & Dread are hot and cold from the perimeter. Wheeler is a terrible shooter and he can't finish at the rim. Harrar isn't a scorer either. So it's either Stevens or hope one of the freshman gets hot from 3.

Reactions: BrianS and Yboby
Only chance they have to make tournament now is if Watkins comes back they play much better with him and committee says they lost these games without him.

I realize they do not have the bigs to do this as of now but with all of the guards/wings Pat is playing, they need to be a little more up tempo, use the athleticism of those guys and get them some cheap buckets to instill confidence. Dread and Bolton need to see the ball go in the hoop. Get them a closer shot or a FT. It would require Stevens to play some 5 until Watkins is back and thus give Lamar some actual breaks too but even on makes they need to initiate their offense earlier somehow.

When I coached, whether it was HS or D3, any time our shooters were not hitting we did one of two things; inverted the offense so they got a post opportunity or we ran a quick hitter for them going to the basket. The point of both of these was to get them either a.) a lay up or b.) a FT attempt. The game is so mental that guys just need to see the ball go in or to get a couple points so they dont have a 0 by their name in the point column.

I realize they do not have the bigs to do this as of now but with all of the guards/wings Pat is playing, they need to be a little more up tempo, use the athleticism of those guys and get them some cheap buckets to instill confidence. Dread and Bolton need to see the ball go in the hoop. Get them a closer shot or a FT. It would require Stevens to play some 5 until Watkins is back and thus give Lamar some actual breaks too but even on makes they need to initiate their offense earlier somehow.

When I coached, whether it was HS or D3, any time our shooters were not hitting we did one of two things; inverted the offense so they got a post opportunity or we ran a quick hitter for them going to the basket. The point of both of these was to get them either a.) a lay up or b.) a FT attempt. The game is so mental that guys just need to see the ball go in or to get a couple points so they dont have a 0 by their name in the point column.

Wait, the players need coached? You are an upgrade from pat. When can you start?

Reactions: bison13
No excuse for this. When will people realize chambers has to go.

No worries, we’re recruiting Philly. We’re not winning, but we’re recruiting Philly.

And let's not forget that the stats at the bottom of the eye chart are improving! We're just not seeing the improvement in the win-loss record! :confused:

I may watch the 2nd half of the game. I watched the first half and there were times when I really liked what I saw. There were some good plays, getting good baskets, things looking kind of good. They were playing competitively. Then again, they were making mistakes too. Bradley did too, though. What bothered me was that too often, Penn State seemed to dissolve into "playground basketball" and get a little wild with the passing and shots. I thought Bradley looked a bit more disciplined and patient. It's a shame because Chambers does seem to be getting good players. Then again, the shooting percentages were awful. 29% FG, 15% from 3 pt (!) - at least they were 82% from the FT line. 2nd half must have been brutal because they didn't look that bad in the 1st half.

And let's not forget that the stats at the bottom of the eye chart are improving! We're just not seeing the improvement in the win-loss record! :confused:

I may watch the 2nd half of the game. I watched the first half and there were times when I really liked what I saw. There were some good plays, getting good baskets, things looking kind of good. They were playing competitively. Then again, they were making mistakes too. Bradley did too, though. What bothered me was that too often, Penn State seemed to dissolve into "playground basketball" and get a little wild with the passing and shots. I thought Bradley looked a bit more disciplined and patient. It's a shame because Chambers does seem to be getting good players. Then again, the shooting percentages were awful. 29% FG, 15% from 3 pt (!) - at least they were 82% from the FT line. 2nd half must have been brutal because they didn't look that bad in the 1st half.
They were playing Bradley...there should have been some times they looked good...:unfortunately, there weren’t very many of them. And again, it was against Bradley.

That’s it. Time to start thinking about the next coach

This will be the first big hire for Sandy

Man.... this Bolton kid.

I don’t know what else they have (probably not much to choose from) but he needs to stop being “what he’s being” pretty soon :)

Just a freshman - - but between the DePaul game and this one, he has to at least learn to step back and not allow his play to sink the team. Give the ball up and let the game come to you kid.
I’m guessing, like a lot of freshman one would suppose, that he’s still used to being a one-man wrecking crew as a HS kid.

You gotta find a way to “grow” these freshman..... but these two games he has given away (assuming this one doesn’t turn around) May very well be HUGE come NCAA selection time.
He shoots way too much!

No excuse for this. When will people realize chambers has to go.

At this point why? It is what it is. PSU MBB is what they are. Watched Duke-Zags and PSU is light years behind them. They prob had 7 guys who will be NBA Starters. PSU has none and no program prestige to get any. Changing coaches may also backfire. With Chambers you are going to get 15-20 wins and few upsets a year. They will never compete for a title ever.

At this point why? It is what it is. PSU MBB is what they are. Watched Duke-Zags and PSU is light years behind them. They prob had 7 guys who will be NBA Starters. PSU has none and no program prestige to get any. Changing coaches may also backfire. With Chambers you are going to get 15-20 wins and few upsets a year. They will never compete for a title ever.
How about at this point why not? If it backfires, we don’t have very far to fall and it won’t be that hard to get back to where we are since this is pretty much where we always are. But we may catch lightning in a bottle with a new hire and actually make a tournament appearance once.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT