ADVERTISEMENT

PSU MBB 2021-22 Thread

Shrewsberry comes in with credentials that dwarf those of Dunn, DeChellis, and Chambers.

What are you talking about? Chambers came in with the credentials of two years at Boston U., and DeChellis was in Curley's PSU-only Rolodex.

Surely that is at least as good as coaching on a team that goes to consecutive national title games, coaching in the NBA, and then for a program that goes to the tournament every year.

Reactions: bison13
I agree with you about the Big Ten games. I think you'll see a lot of Lee and Harrar in those but in the non-conference schedule I'm sure we'll see some four guard looks. I do have to say it's nice to have it least have 4 big bodies to throw out there against all the bigs in this conference.

PSU only has 5 guards on the roster. Dread, Sessoms, Cornwall, Pickett, and Johnson. They have two small forwards in Dorsey and Lundy, and they have one center in Harrar, and they have three guys that can play the other forward spot as well as sub in for Harrar in Lee, Scott, and White.

So I don't see them going 4 out as they have a more traditional personnel set that allows them not to have to do that.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
I would say minimum goal is winning a few games in the NIT. Need to show improvement as the year goes on showing this staff knows how to coach guys up. Need to pull an upset or two at end of year showing that the staff can coach at this level against the big boys. Win a game in the Big Ten tourney against an equal or slightly higher seed. Be competitive in almost all games. Tourney would mean some things really, really clicked and the transfer guys all play really well plus Shrew being an elite X's and O'x guy. I think tourney is a little too much to ask for this year.
Everything is speculative right now on how we do for the year. But there are so many positives to build upon; that nobody is going throw the panic switch now, for every little that goes wrong with our basketball team. We’re talking about the best culture that this team has ever experienced to date at Penn State.

Here are some positives: We’re starting from a good base. Chambers, then Ferry, did nothing to destroy this program or to send it backwards. Chambers had been building our base for years; that just doesn’t happen, or go away, overnight. The program is on the right trajectory. There’s concrete evidence presently, that the Penn State the school, wants to improve the program. This culture will only continue, to grow, under Shrew. Shrew won’t lead the program backwards; there’s too much at stake.

Secondly, Shrew is proving to be a great recruiter. We reached a certain level with Chambers, but now we’re on a trajectory to go higher. We already had some great players (Harrah, Lundy, etc). We also have some very good newcomers (Pickett, Lee, Scott, etc.) this year.

How will they play together? I’m thinking very well; but at this point, nobody can really know now unless you’re privy to the team’s practices. I’m hopeful, but never like to try to guess, or project, the team’s performance level before I’ve seen them play for a game or two. We’ll be able to understand so much more after a few games. Let the season play out.

Do players get better as the season progresses? Hell yeah!! That’s the beauty of college players; we're talking about young, 18-23 year old players. The players ceiling, has not yet been formed. Basketball plays so many more games, then say football.

What a bunch of horsedudu. James Franklin was hired by Penn State in 2014. He should have said "if not for Penn State and the fact their BB program sucks so bad that no high profile coach would touch it that I was given this opportunity".

He's complaining yet I'm sure he's aware that very, very, few coaches got their first head-coach job at a P5, or other high profile school. I'm sure if I tried I'd come up with a few examples (other than Juwan Howard who happened to have 6 years as a assistant in the NBA) but I can't think of any right now. So essentially, every other coach knows he needs to get head coaching experience at a lower profile yet our coach thinks he was being held back? Further, because Michigan has a black coach is the reason he got this opportunity? This is crazy on many levels.

What a bunch of horsedudu. James Franklin was hired by Penn State in 2014. He should have said "if not for Penn State and the fact their BB program sucks so bad that no high profile coach would touch it that I was given this opportunity".

He's complaining yet I'm sure he's aware that very, very, few coaches got their first head-coach job at a P5, or other high profile school. I'm sure if I tried I'd come up with a few examples (other than Juwan Howard who happened to have 6 years as a assistant in the NBA) but I can't think of any right now. So essentially, every other coach knows he needs to get head coaching experience at a lower profile yet our coach thinks he was being held back? Further, because Michigan has a black coach is the reason he got this opportunity? This is crazy on many levels.
How is this crazy on so many levels? Can't you acknowledge that blacks have been held back, in so many areas, on so many levels? I didn’t think twice when I heard Shrew say this, because I believe he’s correct.

How is this crazy on so many levels? Can't you acknowledge that blacks have been held back, in so many areas, on so many levels? I didn’t think twice when I heard Shrew say this, because I believe he’s correct.
How about you stop making assumptions and address what I typed? While your re-reading my post why don't you tell us why you believe that Shrew wouldn't have gotten this opportunity without Juwan Howard?

How about you stop making assumptions and address what I typed? While your re-reading my post why don't you tell us why you believe that Shrew wouldn't have gotten this opportunity without Juwan Howard?
I’m not sure why Shrew made the statement; he obviously has his reasons. Who are we to question why he said that Juwan Howard paved the way for his appointment at PSU. I just take offense to you calling it total BS. Why would you question what Shrew is feeling? That’s what I’m trying to say.

I like Coach Shrew, but he’s not even the first African American coach hired by PSU for MBB (Jerry Dunn). So Juwan Howard’s hiring at Michigan had no impact.

I like Coach Shrew, but he’s not even the first African American coach hired by PSU for MBB (Jerry Dunn). So Juwan Howard’s hiring at Michigan had no impact.

yes, read. Shrew is commenting on a career assistant can go right to a P5 coaching job which is generally rare. So the fact Howard did it recently with success with nearly the same resume as Shrew made it easier for PSU to take that leap (ie..hire a coach with no previous head coaching experience).

All true, what you’re saying. But how do any of us know that a decision, from BigTen hierarchy, wasn’t made to increase the number of Black coaches, in the conference. It would certainly make a lot of sense.

It may have been a policy or directive to change the present white coach narrative. The percentage of White coaches, versus percentage of Black players, was just not lining up. Blacks have also dominated the talent pool too.

None of us know why Shrew made this comment. Maybe Shrew was just trying to throw a complement Jawan Howard’s way; just trying to be nice to Jawan Howard, a respectable player and coach. JH did do an amazing job, in a short period of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2atpsu
All true, what you’re saying. But how do any of us know that a decision, from BigTen hierarchy, wasn’t made to increase the number of Black coaches, in the conference. It would certainly make a lot of sense.

It may have been a policy or directive to change the present white coach narrative. The percentage of White coaches, versus percentage of Black players, was just not lining up. Blacks have also dominated the talent pool too.

None of us why Shrew made this comment. Maybe Shrew was just trying to throw a complement Jawan Howard’s way; just trying to be nice to Jawan Howard, a respectable player and coach. JH did do an amazing job, in a short period of time.
I actually think you're right in what you say in the last paragraph! I believe he was trying to throw a compliment, it's just that he wasn't entirely accurate. No harm, no foul as far as I'm concerned.

Off season optimism seems to be a universal tendency in sports.
Arguably the toughest conference in the country, it will imo not be easy to make progress.
Hope I’m wrong.

Arguably the toughest conference in the country, it will imo not be easy to make progress.
Hope I’m wrong.
You’re not wrong in saying that we’re in the toughest conference in the country and that it won’t be easy to make progress. This doesn’t mean we can’t have a memorable year.

Hope I’m wrong.

Shrew and his staff appear to be a lot better on paper then Chambers so there is progress there. And Shrew just signed I think what will be the highest rated class in PSU history and was one unfortunate visit by Oweh away from a no brainer best class ever. So the progress is already made in a lot of respects.

Hope I’m wrong.
The good thing is in a sport like basketball, having a tough schedule also leads to some more room for error…we don’t have to compete for conference titles, we “just” need to be middle of the pack in the conference (obviously easier said than done).

Ken Pomeroy's site is updated for the season. Ken has us ranked 70th (64th offensively, 75th defensively). 12th ranked team in the Big 10. He has us going 16-14 (8-12), and finishing in 11th place in the conference (with the Big 10 again the highest ranked conference). Individually, he's got us with a 50+% chance of winning 13 of our 30 games (though 4 of those 13 are the first 4 games). Note that the projections don't include the Title/Consolation game in the Emerald Coast Classic, since our opponent is unknown.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Ken Pomeroy's site is updated for the season. Ken has us ranked 70th (64th offensively, 75th defensively). 12th ranked team in the Big 10. He has us going 16-14 (8-12), and finishing in 11th place in the conference (with the Big 10 again the highest ranked conference). Individually, he's got us with a 50+% chance of winning 13 of our 30 games (though 4 of those 13 are the first 4 games). Note that the projections don't include the Title/Consolation game in the Emerald Coast Classic, since our opponent is unknown.
If we can go 8-12 in the conference, I think I will be satisfied( with greater hopes for the future).

Looking for a few things:

1. Improvement in players individual skills as the year goes on.
2. Improvement in the play of the team as the year goes on.
3. A couple of upsets at the end of the year and winning a game PSU is lower ranked to in the Big Ten tourney.
4. NIT berth and getting to NYC to at least a semi-final game.

Do the above 4 and I am happy as shows to me that Shrew can coach guys up and coach the team up and can win some games in a tourney setting.

Shrews says he’s pretty strict on how his guys play defense. Hopefully that leads to a great defensive team. He’s less strict on offense. They set up and run plays but guys are allowed flexibility to create. Hopefully that leads to good offensive efficiency.

I don’t have super high expectations in year one. But hoping to see signs of quality coaching.

Shrews says he’s pretty strict on how his guys play defense. Hopefully that leads to a great defensive team. He’s less strict on offense. They set up and run plays but guys are allowed flexibility to create. Hopefully that leads to good offensive efficiency.

I don’t have super high expectations in year one. But hoping to see signs of quality coaching.
More ball and player movement throughout the shot clock and our offense will have to be better.

If we can go 8-12 in the conference, I think I will be satisfied( with greater hopes for the future).
Iowa board has them winning at our place. If there ever was a game where we would come out with a Whiteout type crowd this would be it.

More ball and player movement throughout the shot clock and our offense will have to be better.

Chambers offensive system got better as the year's went on but that is going from bad to below average. Way too much throw the ball around the perimeter and then with shot clock winding down find your best player (Newbill, Taylor, Carr, Stevens, etc..) and let them go 1v1. Shrew is supposed to be known for his X's and O's so I am assuming and hoping we see some legit basketball system offense being run and actually getting guys good looks because of it.

It could very well be what Pomeroy is predicating. These guys are just using mathematics to make their projections; it’s pretty hard to disagree with mathematics, unless disagreeing on what's being measured.

Chambers offensive system got better as the year's went on but that is going from bad to below average. Way too much throw the ball around the perimeter and then with shot clock winding down find your best player (Newbill, Taylor, Carr, Stevens, etc..) and let them go 1v1. Shrew is supposed to be known for his X's and O's so I am assuming and hoping we see some legit basketball system offense being run and actually getting guys good looks because of it.
Unfortunately that is a big part of today's offense. Players and coaches love to run Iso. I find it extremely boring to watch but so many do it as the bread and butter.

I like that approach. Not that we have the players that they do, but have always heard that is Duke’s system.
Work like mad on defense and you can “ do your thing” on offense. I don’t ever like selfish play, but that is the game today on offense.

Unfortunately that is a big part of today's offense. Players and coaches love to run Iso. I find it extremely boring to watch but so many do it as the bread and butter.
there is a difference between running an offense that looks to get players iso'd up and mismatches and in good shooting position, etc....Chambers didn't run an iso offense, he ran an offense many times that never really did much of anything and resulted in iso ball with 10 seconds left in the clock as a final desperate move.

Chambers BS'd his way through as a coach. He knew how to recruit. It was absurd to miss the NCAA tournament with the 2015 and 2016 classes. You can say the 2020 team was on its way, but he should have gone to the tournament multiple times.
Or just goes to show how critical it is to understand proper scheduling. Once that shift was made so many mid-majors understood it while P5's thought they would just get in with the right record. PSU missed at least two tournaments due to scheduling errors.

Chambers didn't run an iso offense, he ran an offense many times that never really did much of anything and resulted in iso ball with 10 seconds left in the clock as a final desperate move.
For his first bunch of years I’d say this was true. The last couple were improved. Whether that was the result of different assistant coaches or more quality players I don’t know.

Reactions: aferrelli
The opener is just two weeks from tonight!

And then we’ll learn a lot about what we have the following Monday night in the trip to UMASS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT