ADVERTISEMENT

PSU MBB 2021-22 Thread

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
I've been thinking of starting a thread for PSU MBB for some time, and finally decided to go for it.

For many PSU MBB games, especially those shown on BTN or other networks, there are separate game threads. That can still happen. I want this thread to be for all things PSU MBB, and if game discussions take place in this thread, that's also fine.

So, what are the expectations or hopes? Would an overall winning record be a good season? NIT? Does this team have a chance to make the NCAA tournament?

So, what are the expectations or hopes? Would an overall winning record be a good season? NIT? Does this team have a chance to make the NCAA tournament?
Very wide range of potential outcomes I’d say, with all of these new pieces trying to fit together. I’m probably expecting a .500ish season at something like 8-12 in a pretty loaded Big Ten.

Very wide range of potential outcomes I’d say, with all of these new pieces trying to fit together. I’m probably expecting a .500ish season at something like 8-12 in a pretty loaded Big Ten.
It's been quite a long time since Penn State has been to the NCAA tournament. Should that be the goal for this program? Or, since it's so hard to win at Penn State in basketball...is that now a bridge to far? Should the goal be lowered to a 500 season?

It's been quite a long time since Penn State has been to the NCAA tournament. Should that be the goal for this program? Or, since it's so hard to win at Penn State in basketball...is that now a bridge to far? Should the goal be lowered to a 500 season?
Obviously the goal should be the NCAA tournament…we were good enough to do it last year with some breaks, and would have two years ago without it being cancelled. No one will be ever be excited by a .500 season.

Should be the goal, but have to give the new coach a little bit of time.

Technically true but the team two seasons ago was in for if covid doesn’t happen.

It could be done this year, in theory. The last three coaches all got at least eight years, and they were totally incompetent.

He should get way more than 4-5.
Good point…I would think it depends on what the 4-5 years look like. Is it trending better, were we a bubble team, where did we end up in the conference? If we’re a bottom feeder for 5 years straight, then we should move on. If we get close a couple of times, then yes, more like 7-8 years. If this guy can’t get us into the tournament in 8 years, we might as well accept that it can’t be done consistently and just live with a bad basketball program.

Good point…I would think it depends on what the 4-5 years look like. Is it trending better, were we a bubble team, where did we end up in the conference? If we’re a bottom feeder for 5 years straight, then we should move on. If we get close a couple of times, then yes, more like 7-8 years. If this guy can’t get us into the tournament in 8 years, we might as well accept that it can’t be done consistently and just live with a bad basketball program.

Shrewsberry comes in with credentials that dwarf those of Dunn, DeChellis, and Chambers. We are talking a different level of coach here (combine that with a different level of $$ commitment from the university to BBall for support staff). Add in that unlike DeChellis and Chambers who came in with the cupboard bare and literally were starting from near zero, between the returning players and the portal guys Shrew got, this team has some talent. So Shrew is starting from an order of magnitude better place than the two previous coaches.

And you haven't looked, Shrew brought in a good class this year. Basically tied with the Carr/Stevens/Bostick class as the best ever at PSU and if it wasn't for a last minute change of heart by Orega Oweh (Jason Oweh's brother) who is a Top 100 guard, Shrew would have had the best class in PSU history if Oweh would have committed (he ended up committing to Oklahoma after visiting there late when all the crystal balls had him to PSU for a while).

Last edited:
I've been thinking of starting a thread for PSU MBB for some time, and finally decided to go for it.

For many PSU MBB games, especially those shown on BTN or other networks, there are separate game threads. That can still happen. I want this thread to be for all things PSU MBB, and if game discussions take place in this thread, that's also fine.
Thank you Tom for this dedicated spot for everything basketball; the interest is here, and should continue to grow in my opinion.

As for our students, I would love to see greater involvement and expect that their interest in basketball will also grow with coach Shrew.

As for the negative Nelly comments, I see they’re still present, but predict that they will diminish.

All in all, there’s much to be positive about. This season has officially started, because the team has begun practicing. I’m looking forward to this year and will once again be watching every game. With some great winter weather this year, I’ll hopefully be able to attend some games.

Go Penn State Basketball.

Last edited:

The best team since I enrolled in 1963 had Carver Clinton, Ray Saunders and others. I feel excitement for this season and the future with our new coach. In old rec hall, students would loudly count the dribbles when the opposition had the ball. It rocked.

Thank you Tom for this dedicated spot for everything basketball; the interest is here, and should continue to grow in my opinion.

As for our students, I would love to see greater involvement and expect that their interest in basketball will also grow with coach Shrew.

As for the negative Nelly comments, I see they’re still present, but predict that they will diminish.

All in all, there’s much to be positive about. This season has officially started, because the team has begun to practice. I’m looking forward to this year and will once again be watching every game. With some great winter weather this year, I’ll hopefully be able to attend some games.

When we went it was free, covered by a nominal activities fee. How much do students pay now and why should they have to pay at all?

Shrewsberry comes in with credentials that dwarf those of Dunn, DeChellis, and Chambers. We are talking a different level of coach here (combine that with a different level of $$ commitment from the university to BBall for support staff). Add in that unlike DeChellis and Chambers who came in with the cupboard bare and literally were starting from near zero, between the returning players and the portal guys Shrew got, this team has some talent. So Shrew is starting from an order of magnitude better place than the two previous coaches.

And you haven't looked, Shrew brought in a good class this year. Basically tied with the Carr/Stevens/Bostick class as the best ever at PSU and if it wasn't for a last minute change of heart by Orega Oweh (Jason Oweh's brother) who is a Top 100 guard, Shrew would have had the best class in PSU history if Oweh would have committed (he ended up committing to Oklahoma after visiting there late when all the crystal balls had him to PSU for a while).
Re Oweh.
A SG recruit from Amarillo Texas ( can’t remember his name) recently went on his official visit to Oklahoma. He chose not to go there, but to Villanova.
I believe the timeline then had Oklahoma turn to Oweh.
If I have the timing right, small world indeed.

It could be done this year, in theory. The last three coaches all got at least eight years, and they were totally incompetent.

He should get way more than 4-5.
Should be minimum of 4 years at that point all the players would be players he has recruited.

Eff that, we are in this year, and next, and the one after.... etc.

That's already where many fans are.

When we went it was free, covered by a nominal activities fee. How much do students pay now and why should they have to pay at all?

The cost to students for basketball season tickets is $35 (for 17 home games).

If I recall correctly, the only sports for which students have to pay to attend PSU contests are football, men's basketball, and men's ice hockey.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
That's already where many fans are.
I’m not there, I just don’t have real high expectations. Get out of the cellar consistently and make the tournament every few years and I’m happy. I like watching basketball and would love to have a team that I know will at least be competitive.

I’m not there, I just don’t have real high expectations. Get out of the cellar consistently and make the tournament every few years and I’m happy. I like watching basketball and would love to have a team that I know will at least be competitive.
The team has been very competitive the past 4-5 yrs. You can lament not making the NCAA (although they would have if it wasn’t for Covid); but you cannot say that they haven’t been competitive.

What is the conference and overall win total for the year?

Do you think we can beat Miami in the B1G/ACC challenge?

What place will we finish in Big Ten?

What conference games do you think we can win?

The team has been very competitive the past 4-5 yrs. You can lament not making the NCAA (although they would have if it wasn’t for Covid); but you cannot say that they haven’t been competitive.
Yep, they were competitive but didn’t make the tournament. I was fine with where they were after the Covid year and would have been okay had they kept Chambers. Another four years or so without a tournament appearance, I would have been in favor of a change.

I would say minimum goal is winning a few games in the NIT. Need to show improvement as the year goes on showing this staff knows how to coach guys up. Need to pull an upset or two at end of year showing that the staff can coach at this level against the big boys. Win a game in the Big Ten tourney against an equal or slightly higher seed. Be competitive in almost all games. Tourney would mean some things really, really clicked and the transfer guys all play really well plus Shrew being an elite X's and O'x guy. I think tourney is a little too much to ask for this year.

I would say minimum goal is winning a few games in the NIT. Need to show improvement as the year goes on showing this staff knows how to coach guys up. Need to pull an upset or two at end of year showing that the staff can coach at this level against the big boys. Win a game in the Big Ten tourney against an equal or slightly higher seed. Be competitive in almost all games. Tourney would mean some things really, really clicked and the transfer guys all play really well plus Shrew being an elite X's and O'x guy. I think tourney is a little too much to ask for this year.
Can anybody predict our starting five? I know Harrar is back and Dread and Lundy should be starters. But who are the other two? And who will be first off the bench?
Thanks.

All in all, there’s much to be positive about. This season has officially started, because the team has begun to practice. I’m looking forward to this year and will once again be watching every game. With some great winter weather this year, I’ll hopefully be able to attend some games.
The cost to students for basketball season tickets is $35 (for 17 home games).

If I recall correctly, the only sports for which students have to pay to attend PSU contests are football, men's basketball, and men's ice hockey.
Thank you. Very reasonable

When we went it was free, covered by a nominal activities fee. How much do students pay now and why should they have to pay at all

Can anybody predict our starting five? I know Harrar is back and Dread and Lundy should be starters. But who are the other two? And who will be first off the bench?
Thanks.
PIckett may be our best player, MAAC player of the year, averaged 15 and 6 assists. Gives us some size in the backcourt at 6'4.
Cornwall is a shooter who was all big south. My guess is he may be our Vinny Johnson off the bench. Sessoms and Dread are not locks to start.
Lundy at the 3, Lee at the 4 and Harrar at the 5 appear to me to be locks.

PIckett may be our best player, MAAC player of the year, averaged 15 and 6 assists. Gives us some size in the backcourt at 6'4.
Cornwall is a shooter who was all big south. My guess is he may be our Vinny Johnson off the bench. Sessoms and Dread are not locks to start.
Lundy at the 3, Lee at the 4 and Harrar at the 5 appear to me to be locks.
I believe that coach Shrews has mentioned 1 big and 4 guards… it could have been in relation to recruiting class, but I don’t think so.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
I believe that coach Shrews has mentioned 1 big and 4 guards… it could have been in relation to recruiting class, but I don’t think so.
they don't have enough guards to play that rotation plus it won't work in the Big Ten. I think it was more about a general 'position less basketball' type of comment that Shrew might have been talking about. I think you see a normal line-up from Shrew most of the time.

they don't have enough guards to play that rotation plus it won't work in the Big Ten. I think it was more about a general 'position less basketball' type of comment that Shrew might have been talking about. I think you see a normal line-up from Shrew most of the time.
I agree with you about the Big Ten games. I think you'll see a lot of Lee and Harrar in those but in the non-conference schedule I'm sure we'll see some four guard looks. I do have to say it's nice to have it least have 4 big bodies to throw out there against all the bigs in this conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT