ADVERTISEMENT

Rank the PSU DTs thus far this season...

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
Just an analysis exercise. How would you rank our DTs based on their performance this year thus far?

Mine:
1. Z Durant - Leads all DTs with 11 tackles and 4.5 TFL. Has added some weight without apparently losing quickness or explosiveness. I also think he is improving all the time. The best is yet to come with Zane and I'm very excited to see it.

2. D Ellies - Second in tackles for DTs with 9 and also has 2.5 TFL. Yes, it was Delaware, but he was dominant yesterday, a disruptive force who was all over the field and impacting the play even when not making tackles. His snap counts need to be increased.

3. C Izzard - Is third in DTs with 7 tackles and has 3 TFL. Actually leads all DTs with 2.5 sacks. He's also done all this with missing significant time due to injury and having fewer snaps than some others. Very impressed with Izzard.

4. J Van Den Berg - Is fourth in DT tackles with 4 and that has been in very limited time. He is on the shorter side, but definitely is incredibly strong and may present some matchup problems with certain O Linemen. I also think there is room for growth.

5. H Beamon - Have to be honest in the analysis. He has 3 tackles in 6 games, 0 TFL, and 0 sacks. I don't have the stats on snaps played per game but has to be among the leaders. Gotta call it as I see it and he simply hasn't lived up to his starting status or the faith that CJF and Diaz have placed in him. He gets pushed around by many O Linemen and should be relegated to 3rd string reps at this point.

6. K Artis - Has 2 tackles in extremely limited playing time. Big dude and we could use his size, but perhaps not a completely fair judgment, but he seems to lack quickness.

What do others think?

WE ARE!!!

It's a good breakdown. I've been very pleased with all the DTs honestly. They were very underappreciated by many here before the season.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
PSUs leading tackler has 24…. I like Durant and Beamon together and Izzard and Ellies as a pair. These guys can control the LOS vs. O$U.

PSUs leading tackler has 24…. I like Durant and Beamon together and Izzard and Ellies as a pair. These guys can control the LOS vs. O$U.
Leading tackler is Curtis Jacobs with 23. I fully realize that tackle stats for this team are suppressed because of the low number of plays this dominant D has been on the field. That said, Beamon has ZERO tackles over the last three games. ZERO. Let that sink in for a moment.

Leading tackler is Curtis Jacobs with 23. I fully realize that tackle stats for this team are suppressed because of the low number of plays this dominant D has been on the field. That said, Beamon has ZERO tackles over the last three games. ZERO. Let that sink in for a moment.
Beamon is a guy without a position, unfortunately. Not big or strong enough for DT, and seemingly got moved from DE because he wasn't quick or 'twitchy' enough I would guess. He just isn't an effective player. The good thing is, Durant, Izzard and Ellies are proving to be solid.

Better than I expected, but the schedule thus far has been rather easy. Test 1 is this Saturday - time for Coach Diaz to earn all the accolades he’s been receiving and Coach 4-14 to step up vs OSU. Not having a QB that turns it over 3 times in the 4th quarter would help.

Better than I expected, but the schedule thus far has been rather easy. Test 1 is this Saturday - time for Coach Diaz to earn all the accolades he’s been receiving and Coach 4-14 to step up vs OSU. Not having a QB that turns it over 3 times in the 4th quarter would help.
I would add Yurcich to your statement as well. IMO, the defense has been setting the table for the offense for most, if not the entire season with short fields. MY has to open things up and get this offense going early. I expect Diaz's unit to bring the energy and the heat. Yes, they will give up chunk plays to OSU -- obviously the Buckeyes have too much talent to be totally shut down. But, when we do get off the field, the offense cant go 3 and out, which they routinely do in 1st quarters. I think MY honestly has more to prove than Manny.

I would add Yurcich to your statement as well. IMO, the defense has been setting the table for the offense for most, if not the entire season with short fields. MY has to open things up and get this offense going early. I expect Diaz's unit to bring the energy and the heat. Yes, they will give up chunk plays to OSU -- obviously the Buckeyes have too much talent to be totally shut down. But, when we do get off the field, the offense cant go 3 and out, which they routinely do in 1st quarters. I think MY honestly has more to prove than Manny.
Very interesting, and valid point. Our typically sputtering offensive starts won’t cut it in this game. Coach Yurcich has to have an A game plan, this game is the season - a win sets us up very nicely. A loss will mean the game vs UM becomes a must win. I don’t have confidence in Coach 4-14 in a must-win game, sad to say.

Reactions: scrivener
Very interesting, and valid point. Our typically sputtering offensive starts won’t cut it in this game. Coach Yurcich has to have an A game plan, this game is the season - a win sets us up very nicely. A loss will mean the game vs UM becomes a must win. I don’t have confidence in Coach 4-14 in a must-win game, sad to say.
He's yet to truly give us a reason to have confidence in him winning these types of games. This is arguably our most complete team. There's no excuses Saturday. Win or it's more of the same. Great but far from elite

Last edited:
Beamon is a guy without a position, unfortunately. Not big or strong enough for DT, and seemingly got moved from DE because he wasn't quick or 'twitchy' enough I would guess. He just isn't an effective player. The good thing is, Durant, Izzard and Ellies are proving to be solid.
Yes, it seems so. PSU right now seems to have 3 effective DT's in Durant, Ellies and Izzard, with Van den burg on the edge of breaking into that group. It seems that Beamon will get taken advantage of by OSU and UM, and Artis is still just learning to play B10 football.

Looking ahead Franklin, Diaz and Barnes really need to develop the 2024 class DT's quickly as I believe Ellies and Beamon will be gone and who knows if Izzard comes back. Would be great if Ford comes back from his injury and Townley develops but Townley seems like a big IF..... DT could use a ready to play portal player for 2024 as well.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT