ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Buffalo Dual Thread

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
please use this for pre-match, in-match, and post-match discussions. If you are replying to another post, please use the quote function.

I'm not at the match, unfortunately, but I should be good for PBP

When: 2 pm EST, 2/24

Where: Rec Hall

TV: none

Video Streaming: BTN+ subscribers, and FloPro subscribers, will have access to video streaming of the match

Audio Streaming: Byers's radio PBP will be streamed for free on LionVision. The pre-match show starts at 1:40 pm EST. You can access the audio stream at:

https://gopsusports.com/watch/?Live=247

We Are ...

- sad that this is the last match for some great PSU seniors
- thankful for all the thrills the seniors have brought us at PSU duals, and at tournaments, during their PSU careers
- looking forward to sending the seniors out on a high
- expecting to wrap up the regular season with a great showing

... Penn State!!!

Senior Wrestlers Honored Before The Match:

1. Franny Bisono
2. Anthony Cassar (Ironhead guarantees he'll be back for at least 1 more season)
3. Brian Friery
4. Patrick Higgins
5. Nick Nevills
6. Bo Nickal
7. Jason Nolf
8. Shakur Rasheed (Ironed says they're expecting that the NCAA will grant him another season)
9. Scott Stossel

guessing we should get the rules out early... updates to Iowa-OSU in this thread? Or taboo?

guessing we should get the rules out early... updates to Iowa-OSU in this thread? Or taboo?

This match might be over by then. It's 2 PM central so 3 eastern.

And I would not put any updates in this thread if it does start before this is over.

Buffalo's Lantry wrestled and won on Friday. And they are holding him out.

This practice really needs to be addressed. Ducking, avoiding, resting, whatever you want to call it . . . It has become a virtual virus that is killing the host known as the Dual Meet.

Today's lineups, per Ironhead:

125: Justin Lopez (PSU) vs. Kyle Akins (UB)
133: RBY (PSU) vs. Derek Spann (UB)
141: Nick Lee (PSU) will win by forfeit
149: Brady Berge (PSU) vs. Jason Estevez (UB)
157: Jason Nolf (PSU) vs. Alex Smythe (UB) or Kyle Todrank (UB)
165: Vincenzo Joseph (PSU) vs. ?? or Kyle Todrank (UB)
174: Mark Hall vs. Jake Lanning
184: Shakur Rasheed vs. Logan Rill
197: Bo Nickal vs. Brett Perry
285: Anthony Cassar vs. Sam Schuyler

Reactions: diggerpup
Sounds like Cassar is going. No Nevills. Too bad in my opinion. Love Cassar but wanted to see Nick go.

No ranked Jake Gunning for Buffalo either. This is a plague.

If I recall correctly, Buffalo held out their best guys last year, too. I think Sanderson should cancel (not agree to) all future matches with Buffalo. How about a match with Princeton or Lock Haven or Edinboro or Clarion instead. They are all within driving distance.

Buffalo's Lantry wrestled and won on Friday. And they are holding him out.

This practice really needs to be addressed. Ducking, avoiding, resting, whatever you want to call it . . . It has become a virtual virus that is killing the host known as the Dual Meet.
Should have been addressed last year but deferring the home match for about 10 years.

No Gunning either.

They do. And he is ranked with a 10-1 record. They are obviously holding him out.

And if they're going to sit their starter, at least have *someone* to send out. Having to forfeit is especially ridiculous (unless there's an injury issue).

Reactions: Ski
Embarrassing by buffalo, weren’t they saying last year how bad they felt bc none of their guys were healthy? Then no Lantry, Smythe, or gunning this year. Some teams step up to the psu challenge, others want no parts. Don’t think we’ll ever see them scheduled again

125: Justin Lopez vs. Kyle Akins

Schnupp had a skin issue, but Ironhead indicates he should be fine by B1G Championships

Per 1
Nothing thru 1:30. End

Per 2
Akins takes bottom. Akins is able to turn in, steps over, and gets the reversal, 0-2. Lopez gets flattened. Stall warning on Lopez. End. RT @ 1:12 for Akins

Per 3
Lopez takes neutral. Stoppage for PD. Akins shoots, then reshoots, but a stalemate with 1:27 left. Akins in and gets behind for a TD, 0-4. 1 min left. RT is assured. End. With 2:19 in RT, it's a 0-5 victory for Akins

3-0, Buffalo

And if they're going to sit their starter, at least have *someone* to send out. Having to forfeit is especially ridiculous (unless there's an injury issue).

Illinois at least sent out their backup 133 as a sacrificial lamb for Lee. I concur with the sentiment that Buffalo should not be scheduled again. At least not while their current coaches are there.

133: RBY vs. Derek Spann

Per 1
RBY in on the left leg, and trips Spann down for the TD, 2-0. RBY not wearing the knee brace. RBY with a nice ride, but having trouble tilting him. Spann eventually up and out, 2-1. RBY with a double leg for a TD, 4-1. Spann working up, then he sits out but RBY trips the arm. End. RT @ 2:07 for RBY

Per 2
RBY chooses neutral. Spann in on a single, eventually stopped for a stalemate with 1:47 left. RBY in on a double, and gets the TD at the edge, 6-1. Stalemate with 1:19 left. Optional start, and Spann out, 6-2. RBY with another double leg for a TD, 8-2, and he quickly cuts Spann, 8-3. Stalemate with 26 sec. Caution on RBY on the restart. End. RT @ 2:25 for RBY

Per 3
Spann takes bottom. RBY quickly cuts him, 8-4. RBY shoots a single, Spann grabs and ankle, and a stalemate. Stall warning on Spann after the restart. RBY tried a double, to a high crotch, and a stalemate. RBY snaps the head down, gets a standing cradle, and gets the TD and 2 NF before Spann rolls out, 12-5. RT is locked. RBY in on a single, but Spann off the edge, so a stall call on Spann, 13-5. End. With 2:40 of RT, it's a 14-5 Major for RBY

4-3, PSU

RBY needs a nickname in addition to "RBY".

How about Jitterbug (because he dances, jumps, jukes, and jitters)?

Berge: get on some offense, please.

I just don't think he's ever going to be an offensive machine. He's very tough and he'll win close matches but I don't think anyone should expect domination from him.

149: Brady Berge vs. Jason Estevez

Per 1
Berge drives in, nothing. Stalemate with 1:06. Berge grabs a single, and gets behind for the TD, 2-0. End. RT @ 52 sec for Berge

Per 2
Esteves takes bottom. Berge cuts him, 2-1. Esteves in on Berge's leg, Berge sprawls, and a stalemate with 1:14 left. Missed a bit, but no points scored. End.

Per 3
Berge takes bottom. He's up and out pretty quickly. RT is @ 56 sec for Berge, so it's not a factor. Berge in on a double and gets the DT, 5-1. Berge nearly got him over, but Estevez avoids it. OOB with 59 sec. Optional start by Berge, and pushes Estevez away, 5-2. Berge shoots, then Estevez shoots and Berge counters and gets the TD, 7-2. Berge cuts him, 7-3. TD Berge, 9-3. 2 stall warning against Estevez. With RT, it's a 11-4 decision

13-3, PSU

I just don't think he's ever going to be an offensive machine. He's very tough and he'll win close matches but I don't think anyone should expect domination from him.

Maybe, but he showed he can step it up a bit in the third period. Didn't seem motivated early.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Hard to get on your offense when the other guy doesn't want to wrestle. Claw at the head, back off, repeat. Shoot, hang on to a leg until stalemate, repeat.

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT