ADVERTISEMENT

PSU #7 in Coaches poll and #8 in AP poll

Would be fantastic if the cfp rankings mirrored this. Let UT go to the cotton.
Would love it too but last week was the time to do it. Tenn destroyed Vandy yesterday, no real justification for dropping them below us.

Would be fantastic if the cfp rankings mirrored this. Let UT go to the cotton.

Unfortunately, last week's CFP ranking mirrored the AP, which had Tennessee just above Penn State, rather than the Coaches who had the opposite.

I have a feeling the same will hold true this week.

Nice to see. I'm concerned about our ability to beat a top 10 bowl team without Parker Washington but #7 should stay in the top 10 even with a loss.

Nice to see. I'm concerned about our ability to beat a top 10 bowl team without Parker Washington but #7 should stay in the top 10 even with a loss.
Well, maybe our opponent will have a bunch of opt-outs.

Unfortunately, last week's CFP ranking mirrored the AP, which had Tennessee just above Penn State, rather than the Coaches who had the opposite.

I have a feeling the same will hold true this week.

Yup, AP did the same thing this week, keeping Tennessee one spot above Penn State.

I fully expect the CFP committee will do the same.

So it comes down to LSU. They're ranked 13th by the Coaches and 11th by AP. If they pull off the upset against Georgia -- they're 16.5-point underdogs -- it wouldn't surprise me at all if the committee, with their obvious SEC bias, ranked them ahead of us...despite the 3 losses.

Granted, it's hard to see LSU beating Georgia, but stranger things have happened this season.

Yup, AP did the same thing this week, keeping Tennessee one spot above Penn State.

So it comes down to LSU. They're ranked 13th by the Coaches and 11th by AP. If they pull off the upset against Georgia -- they're 16.5-point underdogs -- it wouldn't surprise me at all if the committee, with their obvious SEC bias, ranked them ahead of us...despite the 3 losses.

Granted, it's hard to see LSU beating Georgia, but stranger things have happened this season.
If that happens then we go to the Citrus because LSU would go the Sugar, Bama to Orange and Tenn to Cotton?

At this stage it is Meh either way, play Tulane in Cotton or Miss St/South Carolina in Citrus.

I don't want Rose because that means O$U has weaseled into the playoff.

Where LSU is ranked compared to us if they beat Georgia is meaningless. They're not going to the playoff so they're locked into the sugar as the sec champ in that scenario.

Where LSU is ranked compared to us if they beat Georgia is meaningless. They're not going to the playoff so they're locked into the sugar as the sec champ in that scenario.

You're right, LSU's ranking visa vis ours would be meaningless, but their victory in that scenario would not be meaningless at all. In fact, it would likely bounce Tennessee and Alabama into non-Sugar NY6 bowl games, thereby locking us out unless we were to get the Rose by virtue of Ohio State backing into the playoff.

At least I think that's right. Honestly, with all the permutations, tie-ins, and tie-outs, the whole thing is dizzying.

You're right, LSU's ranking visa vis ours would be meaningless, but their victory in that scenario would not be meaningless at all. In fact, it would likely bounce Tennessee and Alabama into non-Sugar NY6 bowl games, thereby locking us out unless we were to get the Rose by virtue of Ohio State backing into the playoff.

At least I think that's right. Honestly, with all the permutations, tie-ins, and tie-outs, the whole thing is dizzying.
You are most likely correct.

Scenarios as I see it

LSU wins
TCU wins
Utah wins

PSU to Rose

LSU wins
TCU wins
U$C wins

PSU to Citrus

LSU wins
KState wins
U$C wins

PSU to Rose

LSU wins
KState wins
Utah wins

PSU to Rose

UGA wins
KState wins
U$C wins

PSU to Rose

UGA wins
TCU wins
Utah wins

PSU to Rose

UGA wins
TCU wins
U$C wins

PSU to Cotton

UGA wins
KState wins
Utah wins

PSU to Rose

Those are all I can think of.

Scenarios as I see it

LSU wins
TCU wins
Utah wins

PSU to Rose

LSU wins
TCU wins
U$C wins

PSU to Citrus

LSU wins
KState wins
U$C wins

PSU to Rose

LSU wins
KState wins
Utah wins

PSU to Rose

UGA wins
KState wins
U$C wins

PSU to Rose

UGA wins
TCU wins
Utah wins

PSU to Rose

UGA wins
TCU wins
U$C wins

PSU to Cotton

UGA wins
KState wins
Utah wins

PSU to Rose

Wow, that seems to cover all bases.

To simplify the situation: we need LSU to lose. Only good things can happen in that event. And it doesn't seem like a lot to ask, them being 17-point underdogs and all.

Reactions: NedFromYork
If the goal is the Rose we just need USC and Purdue to lose and we're good. We'll know Friday night if the Saturday games impact us other than Michigan-Purdue

Don't understand all the lust for the Rose Bowl. There are a limited number of goals left to achieve for the 2022 PSU Football Team...
Win 11 games
Finish in the top 6

If you would like a "we went to the Rose Bowl" bumper sticker....they can be custom made.
If I had my choice, I'd like to go to the Orange Bowl. One I've never been to.

Don't understand all the lust for the Rose Bowl. There are a limited number of goals left to achieve for the 2022 PSU Football Team...
Win 11 games
Finish in the top 6

If you would like a "we went to the Rose Bowl" bumper sticker....they can be custom made.
Because people would rather play Utah than Tulane?

For me the season is over at 10-2 and we're ranked where we're ranked after the CCGs.

Reactions: psu00
Win 11 games
Finish in the top 6

I don't think there is much if any path to the Orange Bowl, hence the Rose Bowl desire. If UCF can beat Tulane the Cotton would be okay since UCF is a bigger name and a B12 team (next year).

Reactions: Jerry
I don't think there is much if any path to the Orange Bowl, hence the Rose Bowl desire. If UCF can beat Tulane the Cotton would be okay since UCF is a bigger name and a B12 team (next year).

I think the Orange bowl is exceedingly unlikely but the theoretical way it could be in play for PSU is if the CFP committee somehow decides to rank PSU above Tennessee or Alabama in the final poll (and LSU loses to Georgia). The other possibility if that the bowl games can, I believe, "horse trade" teams as long as they fulfill their obligations and no conferences miss out on NY6 bids so in theory the Orange could make a deal with the Cotton and take PSU with the Cotton taking Tennessee though I see no reason that would happen. The only reason something like that would tend to occur would be to avoid a rematch of a game from during the season.

Scenarios as I see it

LSU wins
TCU wins
Utah wins

PSU to Rose

LSU wins
TCU wins
U$C wins

PSU to Citrus

LSU wins
KState wins
U$C wins

PSU to Rose

LSU wins
KState wins
Utah wins

PSU to Rose

UGA wins
KState wins
U$C wins

PSU to Rose

UGA wins
TCU wins
Utah wins

PSU to Rose

UGA wins
TCU wins
U$C wins

PSU to Cotton

UGA wins
KState wins
Utah wins

PSU to Rose

The two K-State and USC win scenarios are the only ones where I don't think the final destination is a sure thing. The committee could keep TCU ahead of OSU depending on the way that game plays out. It's unlikely but honestly who the f knows what the committee will do, they change criteria as often as Lando.

The two K-State and USC win scenarios are the only ones where I don't think the final destination is a sure thing. The committee could keep TCU ahead of OSU depending on the way that game plays out. It's unlikely but honestly who the f knows what the committee will do, they change criteria as often as Lando.
So they don't which is why the rankings are predictable

So they don't which is why the rankings are predictable

Were you not the one making the argument yesterday that the committee ignores their own stated criteria with regards h2h results after being made aware that it was indeed criteria they use after claiming it wasn't taken into consideration?

It wasn't Wallace so that leaves you.

Were you not the one making the argument yesterday that the committee ignores their own stated criteria with regards h2h results after being made aware that it was indeed criteria they use after claiming it wasn't taken into consideration?

It wasn't Wallace so that leaves you.
You think teams that are both 8-4 are compared using H2H--that's not true nor does the criteria state that is used the way you're claiming
See the CBS poll--I'm not alone in thinking Illinois > Purdue
And if Purdue doesn't beat Michigan that gap gets much wider

So they're consistent now. Got it.
Because it's not unless they're comparable and the committee NEVER determines teams are comparable if they want one ahead of another. Why do you think I had the ranking right last week? They overvalue brand names which is the only reason Clemson is even close to where they are.

Why does Purdue get judged for a ccg when you claimed all along LSU shouldn't be judged for the ccg? How does that work?
Because the committee respects LSU
Because LSU is a brand
Because we've seen that in the past. They would have kept LSU at 5/6
Just like they hope K-State beat TCU so they can put in Ohio State.
It works by paying attention

Because it's not unless they're comparable and the committee NEVER determines teams are comparable if they want one ahead of another. Why do you think I had the ranking right last week? They overvalue brand names which is the only reason Clemson is even close to where they are.

Consistent and predictable do not have the same meaning.

You didn't even know it was actually part of the criteria until yesterday, but now you are an expert on how they define "comparable". Give me a break.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT