ADVERTISEMENT

And OU jumps PSU

And unfortunately, you really can't recognize the difference between Ohio St in 1994 and Ohio St in 2023? You honestly believe we could drop after beating Ohio State this year?
It depends who else wins that weekend and where we are ranked going in.

likely would move up but i can't rule out staying the same or dropping

you are right though, dropping after beating them is pretty unlikely this season

I already acknowledged that OSU may not have played a great opponent. You're missing my point, which is that it's not as simple as who you've beaten, especially at this point in the season. It's also based on the voters' evaluation of talent. Louisville is 6-0 and has beaten a higher ranked opponent than anyone we've beaten (the same Notre Dame that OSU beat). Yet, they are eight spots below us. FWIW, I don't dismiss the possibility of favoritism, but there are legitimate reasons why OU could jump us, but not OSU.
This is the point rules should be black and white. They are applying 2 different standards.

For a week maybe...they likely won't stay there but we need Iowa to win

Why? Iowa has nobody of note left after Wisconsin. Wisconsin only has the Buckeyes. The winner of this game likely doesn't lose more than once afterwards.

This is the point rules should be black and white. They are applying 2 different standards.
They aren't. They're ranking teams based on whatever criteria they want to use
FSU beat LSU and Clemson
Ohio State beat ND and Maryland
We beat Iowa and WVU
We're also going to be third using that logic
Oklahoma now has the best win in the country

Why? Iowa has nobody of note left after Wisconsin. Wisconsin only has the Buckeyes. The winner of this game likely doesn't lose more than once afterwards.
Iowa does have a soft schedule but with that offense (or lack thereof) they can lose to literally anyone

It depends who else wins that weekend and where we are ranked going in.

likely would move up but i can't rule out staying the same or dropping

you are right though, dropping after beating them is pretty unlikely this season
Keep in mind that beating them means that they drop below us...there is zero chance that we could win in Columbus and end up dropping.

They aren't. They're ranking teams based on whatever criteria they want to use
FSU beat LSU and Clemson
Ohio State beat ND and Maryland
We beat Iowa and WVU
We're also going to be third using that logic
Oklahoma now has the best win in the country
Right ohio states opponents lost more games

For a week maybe...they likely won't stay there but we need Iowa to win

Iowa could easily run their schedule. Wisconsin has the impending loss to Ohio State down the road but could otherwise win. I think there's a pretty good chance that the Iowa/Wisconsin winner ends the regular season ranked.

otoh, if they beat everyone else on their soft schedule that suddenly makes our win look better, cause that's how goofy the system is.
I'm more worried about them winning out for tiebreaker scenario but Illinois and NW are porbably so bad it won't matter
But, yes, we want them and WVU to win a lot.

Imagine talking about sports and saying your record on the field is irrelevant.
I'm talking about what voters have cared about for decades.
Join me in reality not pretending beating bad teams makes you a good team.
Being 5-0 beating bad teams doesn't make you good.

I'm talking about what voters have cared about for decades.
Join me in reality not pretending beating bad teams makes you a good team.
Being 5-0 beating bad teams doesn't make you good.
And what determines good vs bad in sports.....your record.....checkmate my friend.

If we beat tOSU (on the road mind you), there's a decent chance we could end up as high as #2 the next week. Would be pretty surprised if we weren't at least #3.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
And what determines good vs bad in sports.....your record.....checkmate my friend.
Then explain why there's polls?
We all know college football is unlike most other sports
Again, Syracuse was 6-0 last year and finished 6-0. Being 6-0 didn't make them good as I said at the time.

So you're against having human polls? The only reason for them is if you don't believe that any formula or rules can be used to rank teams that play in different conferences with different levels of competition.

Then explain why there's polls?
We all know college football is unlike most other sports
Again, Syracuse was 6-0 last year and finished 6-0. Being 6-0 didn't make them good as I said at the time.
To give preferential treatment to certain schools

If we beat tOSU (on the road mind you), there's a decent chance we could end up as high as #2 the next week. Would be pretty surprised if we weren't at least #3.
agree with that. just that there is some small chance that we are already #3 going into it (if there's a ton of upsets next week), and that we stay there after winning

So you're against having human polls? The only reason for them is if you don't believe that any formula or rules can be used to rank teams that play in different conferences with different levels of competition.
I'm against not being put on the back burner because some other school is more "respected".

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
Sounds like you don't follow sports. For example, show me a boxer who gets a title shot after going 20-0 against a bunch of chumps.
OK then the Yankees should be in the playoffs righ remember records are irrelevant

sadly this actually happened to us when we were ranked #1 and beat OSU by 49 points, so why wouldn't we belie

sadly this actually happened to us when we were ranked #1 and beat OSU by 49 points, so why wouldn't we believe it
You have to tell the whole story. We were #1 going into that week. Why would that have been the case if the voters were against us? But Nebraska beat #2 Colorado that same week and leapfrogged us.

That's what you want to believe when you know not all records are the same. Or your an idiot. Pick
Show me the math that makes our record any worse than OSU without using subjective factors then? If you use subjective factors that makes me right and you a boot licking moron.

Show me the math that makes our record any worse than OSU without using subjective factors then? If you use subjective factors that makes me right and you a boot licking moron.

So still pretending....

You clearly agree that we should have been left out of the playoff when Ohio State and Washington got in over us then since they had the better record. Right?

You have to tell the whole story. We were #1 going into that week. Why would that have been the case if the voters were against us? But Nebraska beat #2 Colorado that same week and leapfrogged us.
I don’t think we were actually “dropped” in the sense that most people are implying - ie people who voted for PSU #1 the week before now voted for Nebraska #1 instead. It was more that a bunch of voters moved Nebraska from #3 to #2 on their ballots and this gave them enough collective points to pass us in the rankings.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
OK then the Yankees should be in the playoffs righ remember records are irrelevant
MLB records are compiled over 162 games, with teams in the same division playing basically the same schedules. That's why records are meaningful in MLB. College Football is very, very different.

Let me ask you this: if two unidentified college football teams were to play each other tomorrow, and all you knew was that one team was 12-0, while the other was 11-1, and your life depended on picking the winner, would you blindly pick the 12-0 team? Or would you accept an offer to learn more about the teams before choosing?

Reactions: Erial_Lion
The reality is the OP just thought everyone would agree there's a conspiracy against us when in reality it's just the teams ahead of us are deserving and once we play Ohio State we'll see how thing shake out if we win.

Reactions: LionFan87b
I don’t think we were actually “dropped” in the sense that most people are implying - ie people who voted for PSU #1 the week before now voted for Nebraska #1 instead. It was more that a bunch of voters moved Nebraska from #3 to #2 on their ballots and this gave them enough collective points to pass us in the rankings.
That’s called “dropping”.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT