ADVERTISEMENT

Post Game Observations - Steelers/Giants preseason game thread. TJ Watt showed well ....

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC

Maybe one of the 1st round LB picks will turn into a star and raise the level of the defense....

Watch the wheel route. ;)

e93f81_86b14cee0fba408da13fa8eccaaf7997~mv2.gif

Last edited:
Barkley is better than anyone on 26 NFL teams
I actually agree. Most of the time, when you hear a quote about how "such and such in college is better than so and so in the NFL", it's hyperbole, but not in this case. In this case, Saquon Barkley is literally, right now, maybe no worse than the 3rd best running back in all of football including the NFL. And the 2 in front of him, are only there because they have years on him in NFL experience.

Barkley is a top 10 pick and probably a future pro bowler can't fault Watt getting smoked on that play.
I watched Watt last year in a bunch of games and this kid could of went top 10 and proably should have. He is a extremely gifted LB. He's the type of player that takes over games just like his brother. That some freaky good athletic gene in that family.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown
Unfortunately for Barkley, he's too good. He's going to have to endure being drafted by another team that has holes all over the offensive line. This may be his one year to run behind a decent line.

Unfortunately for Barkley, he's too good. He's going to have to endure being drafted by another team that has holes all over the offensive line. This may be his one year to run behind a decent line.

If I were the Steelers, I'd give up a 1st round pick in 2019 along with Martavis to move up to get him. Availability is #1. As great as they are, Bryant and Bell haven't earned it.

Thoughts on the game.....

1. Rookie QB threw some nice balls when he had time. Looks good scrambling as well, but he's not especially big and I was already cringing as would be tacklers closed in on him...
  2. Nice first game for Watts. Nice that the Steelers got a first round pick correct, at a position of need.
  3. RB Watson looks pretty solid to me. Big kid that breaks tackles and can run inside, but also showed nice speed and the ability to make a decisive cut on his TD.
  4. Secondary still looks like a WIP. Got to hope that the injured get healthy by the end of camp and then things get sorted out...
  5. A couple nice catches by WR's not named Brown and Bryant. Hunter looks like a keeper, but his concussion will likely slow Schuster's progress towards playing time......
  6. Saw Malik Golden (#30) on the field. Would be sweet to see him even make the practice squad, but the numbers seem to be against him....
Any more take aways from the first "game"....?

Didn't realize Dobbs also has alopecia. Having Shazier on the same roster might be a nice side benefit of the Steelers drafting him. Shazier has a tremendous outlook on dealing with it and might be able to impart some wisdom.

It was a good first preseason game ... the "name" players for each team sat it out, smiled for the cameras and looked interested. Most of the active participants gave all they had and the announcing and TV coverage was its preseason worst.

Actually found myself flipping over to watch the Buccos win in Toronto.

Biggest news to me was JuJu getting concussed (I think he an Jesse James collided) and supposedly Martavis Bryant is cleared to participate in practice (we talkin bout practice?) next week.

Thoughts on the game.....

1. Rookie QB threw some nice balls when he had time. Looks good scrambling as well, but he's not especially big and I was already cringing as would be tacklers closed in on him...
  2. Nice first game for Watts. Nice that the Steelers got a first round pick correct, at a position of need.
  3. RB Watson looks pretty solid to me. Big kid that breaks tackles and can run inside, but also showed nice speed and the ability to make a decisive cut on his TD.
  4. Secondary still looks like a WIP. Got to hope that the injured get healthy by the end of camp and then things get sorted out...
  5. A couple nice catches by WR's not named Brown and Bryant. Hunter looks like a keeper, but his concussion will likely slow Schuster's progress towards playing time......
  6. Saw Malik Golden (#30) on the field. Would be sweet to see him even make the practice squad, but the numbers seem to be against him....
Any more take aways from the first "game"....?

Good post.
I know it was only first game but I was impressed with Watts.

Watts can play ball, period.

Everyone brings up the Barkley TD pass against him. Well, Barkley was probably one of only two or maybe three college backs that could have beaten Watts on that route.....AND.....it took a PERFECT pass from McSorely for the TD. That's probably a touchdown once, maybe twice in every ten attempts.

Watts will be a very very very good player in the NFL, happy for the Steelers, wish the Bears had gotten him.

Watts can play ball, period.

Everyone brings up the Barkley TD pass against him. Well, Barkley was probably one of only two or maybe three college backs that could have beaten Watts on that route.....AND.....it took a PERFECT pass from McSorely for the TD. That's probably a touchdown once, maybe twice in every ten attempts.

Watts will be a very very very good player in the NFL, happy for the Steelers, wish the Bears had gotten him.

+100

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT