ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic

zzs006

Mar 27, 2017

PA all-star team announced. Looks like a really solid team that will definitely give the US team problems. Levi Haines is competing even though he did not wrestle in high school this year. Matches up against Aiden Riggins which he has wrestled a number of times recently. Levi beat Riggins 2 matches to 1 in the cadet world team trials finals. Also, no Ryan Crookham. Wonder why not.

Last edited:

PA all-star team announced. Looks like a really solid team that will definitely give the US team problems. Levi Haines is competing even though he did not wrestle in high school this year. Matches up against Aiden Riggins which he has wrestled a number of times recently. Levi beat Riggins 2 matches to 1 in the cadet world team trials finals. Also, no Ryan Crookham. Wonder why not.

When did they stop calling it the "Dapper Dan"?

When did they stop calling it the "Dapper Dan"?
2016 I believe was first year of newly named event. Dapper Dan actually had a premier hs basketball event as well back in the day. Went to it back in late 80s and sat beside Georgetown coach John Thompson. He was the largest Man I have ever seen.

Disappointed in the Indiana team that will face the PIAA team. For various reasons, it won't be a true representation of Indiana wrestling. I'm sure the PIAA team could say the same.

But the Indiana team will be without 5 top seniors. Jesse Mendez and Zeke Seltzer will represent the US team, which is good for them. But for various reasons, the State Champs at 170, 182 and 195 are not wrestling. The 170 and 195 Champs are both from Mater Dei, the school Nick Lee and family came from. Both were 2x Champs and very dominant. Brody Baumann at 170 won 3 matches by fall and a 14-2 major to win his 2nd Title. He'll wrestle for Purdue next year. Gabe Sollars at 195, won by fall in all four of his matches, dominating the field. He'll wrestle for IU. Lastly Drake Buchanan who will wrestle for Air Force Academy, won at 182. He was runner up to Sollars at 182 in 2021. All three were Fargo All-Americans this past year.

They'll still bring a nice contingent of good wrestlers and great kids. Just missing some of their best.

Disappointed in the Indiana team that will face the PIAA team. For various reasons, it won't be a true representation of Indiana wrestling. I'm sure the PIAA team could say the same.

But the Indiana team will be without 5 top seniors. Jesse Mendez and Zeke Seltzer will represent the US team, which is good for them. But for various reasons, the State Champs at 170, 182 and 195 are not wrestling. The 170 and 195 Champs are both from Mater Dei, the school Nick Lee and family came from. Both were 2x Champs and very dominant. Brody Baumann at 170 won 3 matches by fall and a 14-2 major to win his 2nd Title. He'll wrestle for Purdue next year. Gabe Sollars at 195, won by fall in all four of his matches, dominating the field. He'll wrestle for IU. Lastly Drake Buchanan who will wrestle for Air Force Academy, won at 182. He was runner up to Sollars at 182 in 2021. All three were Fargo All-Americans this past year.

They'll still bring a nice contingent of good wrestlers and great kids. Just missing some of their best.
IN is facing a WPIAL All Star Team, not PIAA.

Before this match happens tonight I just want to go on record saying Spratley is going to win at 126. Not Van Dee.
I don't think that's going out on a limb. There are probably very few outside of PA that don't think Spratley is a significant favorite in that matchup. In fact, there are probably a lot of PA people as well who feel that Spratley is a favorite - he was in NY for a while and wrestled in and around PA for a number of years. He's really, really good. He and Crookham were going toe-to-toe back in the early days of Crookham being a wunderkind in offseason events.

I don't think that's going out on a limb. There are probably very few outside of PA that don't think Spratley is a significant favorite in that matchup. In fact, there are probably a lot of PA people as well who feel that Spratley is a favorite - he was in NY for a while and wrestled in and around PA for a number of years. He's really, really good. He and Crookham were going toe-to-toe back in the early days of Crookham being a wunderkind in offseason events.
giphy.gif

Indiana gets on the board. Porter (Ind) beats Hoffman (WPIAL) 6-4 SV. Believe Porter is a 3 time Indiana state finalist. WPIAL up 7-1.

Porter is a 2x Qualifier, Runner Up this year.

Correct on Conway. 2x State Champ. Headed to Missouri. That was a good match.

Unfortunately, IN is putting a bit of a watered down lineup tonight. Their two best seniors are wrestling for Team USA (Seltzer and Mendez) and State Champs from 170/182/195 all unavailable for one reason or another. The 170 is a 2x Champ and headed to Purdue. He mauled Porter 14-2 in the State Final. 195 was a 2x Champ and is headed to Indiana. The 182 was a 1x Champ and 1x Runner Up and is headed to Air Force.

Those 5 + Conway and Watson are easily Indiana's best 7 seniors.

Porter is a 2x Qualifier, Runner Up this year.

Correct on Conway. 2x State Champ. Headed to Missouri. That was a good match.

Unfortunately, IN is putting a bit of a watered down lineup tonight. Their two best seniors are wrestling for Team USA (Seltzer and Mendez) and State Champs from 170/182/195 all unavailable for one reason or another. The 170 is a 2x Champ and headed to Purdue. He mauled Porter 14-2 in the State Final. 195 was a 2x Champ and is headed to Indiana. The 182 was a 1x Champ and 1x Runner Up and is headed to Air Force.

Those 5 + Conway and Watson are easily Indiana's best 7 seniors.
Ok thank you. Not disrespecting, just giving results. Trying to make a contribution to forum. Their accomplishments im quickly looking up so if im wrong in any I apologize. And yes, I’ve been high on Indiana wrestling for a few years now here and other social media sites. They have some great high end talent.

Ok thank you. Not disrespecting, just giving results. Trying to make a contribution to forum. Their accomplishments im quickly looking up so if im wrong in any I apologize. And yes, I’ve been high on Indiana wrestling for a few years now here and other social media sites. They have some great high end talent.

No offense taken at all. Like you, just trying to contribute. And you are 100% in that IN has great high end talent, and depth is improving, but not near what PA, IL, OH, etc have.

There was another 220 I was hoping would wrestle tonight, but he finished 3rd. Both him and Grange who is wrestling now, lost to Christian Carroll, who is a junior.

No offense taken at all. Like you, just trying to contribute. And you are 100% in that IN has great high end talent, and depth is improving, but not near what PA, IL, OH, etc have.

There was another 220 I was hoping would wrestle tonight, but he finished 3rd. Both him and Grange who is wrestling now, lost to Christian Carroll, who is a junior.
I just finished an article. Carroll and Grange are actually good friends and train together. Thought that was pretty cool.

I just finished an article. Carroll and Grange are actually good friends and train together. Thought that was pretty cool.

Yep.... Strangely, Carroll started at the same HS, missed his freshman year due to injury, transferred to a different HS mid-sophomore year and was ruled ineligible (transfer issues), then won State this year as a junior. Rumors are already flying that he'll be at yet a different HS next year. Not sure why 3 HS in 4 years. From everything I hear, he's a great kid and smart as well. Headed to Penn, which again, not knowing the kid or family seems like an odd choice. I was hoping PSU would get in on him.

Yep.... Strangely, Carroll started at the same HS, missed his freshman year due to injury, transferred to a different HS mid-sophomore year and was ruled ineligible (transfer issues), then won State this year as a junior. Rumors are already flying that he'll be at yet a different HS next year. Not sure why 3 HS in 4 years. From everything I hear, he's a great kid and smart as well. Headed to Penn, which again, not knowing the kid or family seems like an odd choice. I was hoping PSU would get in on him.
I first heard of him here. Jefe was pretty high on him so I started keeping up with him somewhat.

Training under Brandon Slay in a room with Jordan Burroughs while getting a Penn education probably doesn't hurt.

Reactions: nitlion6
Carroll initially committed to Illinois as a soph. Then he did very well at some event (I don't remember which one), and suddenly got a ton of interest from other coaches.

Penn's partners aren't going to be what he could get at other schools. But he'll get a better education, and Slay probably played a big role.

Either way he's gonna be a monster, and I wouldn't concede HWT to Feldman just yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT