ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh Pirates 2021 Season Thread

Him & his: "Trip, Trip, Triple" is the most irritating and stupid, childish thing one can utter after witnessing one of the most exciting plays in baseball!
Ke'Bryan Hayes returns to help Raise The Jolly Roger with a triple and single! Stallings comes up huge in the eighth to bring the Buccos from behind with a three run double! Bryan Reynolds went deep in the fourth inning and the bull pen hung on late to give the Pirates a much needed win after the disaster in K.C. The erratic Mitch Keller will take the hill tomorrow nite vs a solid Cody Poteet. Pirate offense will have to scrap if Good Mitch shows up.

Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
Ke'Bryan Hayes returns to help Raise The Jolly Roger with a triple and single! Stallings comes up huge in the eighth to bring the Buccos from behind with a three run double! Bryan Reynolds went deep in the fourth inning and the bull pen hung on late to give the Pirates a much needed win after the disaster in K.C. The erratic Mitch Keller will take the hill tomorrow nite vs a solid Cody Poteet. Pirate offense will have to scrap if Good Mitch shows up.
Raise The Jolly Roger for the second consecutive night in Pittsburgh!! KB goes deep to center field to put the Bucs up early and even bad Mitch couldn't ruin Friday night. Frazier, Reynolds and Stallings look good again! Game time tomorrow is 4:05 with the Pirates set to face a tough Trevor Rogers.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Raise The Jolly Roger for the second consecutive night in Pittsburgh!! KB goes deep to center field to put the Bucs up early and even bad Mitch couldn't ruin Friday night. Frazier, Reynolds and Stallings look good again! Game time tomorrow is 4:05 with the Pirates set to face a tough Trevor Rogers.
Youuuuu Cannn Raise The Jolly Roger for the third straight day as the Battling Bucs come back from a 3 run deficit in the mid innings!!! It wasn't always pretty, but the Pirates ran up the pitch count enough on the tough Marlins rookie pitcher to get him out after 6. Marlin pitchers made a mess of the eighth with a hit batsman, a couple walks, and a dropped put out at first. All of which contributed to the Pirates scoring four runs and taking the lead. Rich Rod could not hold the lead in the ninth sending the game to extra innings. Stallings with a base hit to center in the twelfth to walk it off and have the game winning hit for the second time in three days!!!!
Pirate fans are searching their closets for a broom hoping for a very rare 4 game sweep, if they can come up with another miracle on Sunday!!!

Tomorrow's game is set for a 1:05 PM start with Chad Kuhl (0 - 0, 6.41 era) looking to regain his form vs Sandy Alcantara (2 -5, 3.68 era).

Reactions: Monlion and TheGLOV
Past 2 games are EXTRA COMICAL.
Hayes misses first base on a Homer.
The Pirates have left the bases loaded with no runs TWICE in 2 innings.
Midget outfielder Tom propels a fly ball over the fence for a home run.
They look like the Bill Veeck White Sox of the 50s. Just horrifying

Nothing compares to dumping Glasnow.

Some moron thought that was a good idea
I'd like the name of the moron.

HAHAHAHAHA! This is too funny:

(Note the article title or headline)

Maybe, just maybe, the lack of very good major league ball players! Ya think??

Reactions: auxgym and bison13

They are only missing half a team!!! Not to mention Mitch "Meatball" Keller their "top" pitching prospect is now at Indy.....

While not excusing the Pirates on-field and front office performance, I find it interesting who are among the biggest complainers about the upcoming crackdown pitchers using foreign substances:

Don’t know, the Buccos have had PED suspensions for guys who weren’t racking up power guys. Maybe they had pitchers that were just as effective while breaking the rules.

While not excusing the Pirates on-field and front office performance, I find it interesting who are among the biggest complainers about the upcoming crackdown pitchers using foreign substances:

Don’t know, the Buccos have had PED suspensions for guys who weren’t racking up power guys. Maybe they had pitchers that were just as effective while breaking the rules.
It might only happen once every two weeks.....but, you can Raise The Jolly Roger! Even in victory the Buccos are mind boggling as they give up 9 runs in two innings to try and blow a 11 - 1 lead vs Cleveland. Reynolds & Polanco went deep, Frazier with 2 hits and Hayes with 3 RBI. Talk to you next in two weeks probably...... P.S. all this talk of Spider Tack .....Crick has no idea where the ball is going no matter what.

Last edited:
It might only happen once every two weeks.....but, you can Raise The Jolly Roger! Even in victory the Buccos are mind boggling as they give up 9 runs in two innings to try and blow a 11 - 1 lead vs Cleveland. Reynolds & Polanco went deep, Frazier with 2 hits and Hayes with 3 RBI. Talk to you next in two weeks probably...... P.S. all this talk of Spider Tack .....Crick has no idea where the ball is going no matter what.
Hard to believe but for the second straight day you can Raise The Jolly Roger! Thanks to an Indian massacre in the seventh which saw a 2 - 0 deficit go to a 6 - 2 lead thanks to 3 run homers by Reynolds and Perez. Brian Reynolds is scorching hot. Chance to use the broom tomorrow!!

Reactions: TheGLOV and bison13

Raise The Jolly Roger! Buccos had a 2 - 0 lead in the 7th after battling against vs Lucas Giolito who previously no hit them in Chicago last year. Inexplicably, Captain Quick Shelton hook leaves Anderson in the game after two runners get on so that Grandal can crush a 3 run homer to center to give the first place White Sox the lead 3 - 2 in the seventh. In the bottom of the seventh, Polanco & Evans lead of with singles (hard to believe) followed by a Sweet Newman bunt that turns in to a four run inning. Rich Rod slams the door and sends Tony LaRussa crying to the bar for cocktail hour. So Sweet to Welcome Tony back properly!!!

At WHAT POINT do you actually either sit Newman down, or send him down? They run this bum out there EVERY DAY and he is an automatic out. He hits not only below the Mendoza line but UNDER .200. Basically he hits like a pitcher, only worse. Yet again Tonight this clown comes up with bases loaded and one out and swings at the first pitch harmless pop up out. This bozo has got to go...even that midget Tom would be better...

At WHAT POINT do you actually either sit Newman down, or send him down? They run this bum out there EVERY DAY and he is an automatic out. He hits not only below the Mendoza line but UNDER .200. Basically he hits like a pitcher, only worse. Yet again Tonight this clown comes up with bases loaded and one out and swings at the first pitch harmless pop up out. This bozo has got to go...even that midget Tom would be better...
He has struggled at the plate for sure. Did play the last 60 games with out an error.....first player since Ozzie Smith. Not disagreeing with you. Pirates are buying time until bringing young guys up.

He has struggled at the plate for sure. Did play the last 60 games with out an error.....first player since Ozzie Smith. Not disagreeing with you. Pirates are buying time until bringing young guys up.
Lol. Ok, Newman and Ozzie Smith, mentioned in the same sentence...are you CERTAIN you want that distinction l?

Below the Mendoza line and under .200 are the same thing.

To clarify the "Mendoza Line" as atributed to Steve Blass being the 'creator' of the line:

Now, before anybody - and I mean anybody takes me to task about the soon-to-be-following clarification ON the Mendoza Line, I had a conversation with Steve Blass on this very subject.

The Mendoza Line is NOT, and I repeat NOT the 'set' .200 batting average. It is NOT!

Does everybody got that??

The Mendoze Line, as told to me by Steve Blass and announced on a Pittsburgh Pirate broadcast, is between .200 - .212 batting average.

It is a 'floating' average - meandering average - a fluctuating average'

It was NEVER .200 and below.

That is all.

See my post above Larry.

To clarify the "Mendoza Line" as atributed to Steve Blass being the 'creator' of the line:

Now, before anybody - and I mean anybody takes me to task about the soon-to-be-following clarification ON the Mendoza Line, I had a conversation with Steve Blass on this very subject.

The Mendoza Line is NOT, and I repeat NOT the 'set' .200 batting average. It is NOT!

The Mendoze Line, as told to me by Steve Blass and announced on a Pittsburgh Pirate broadcast, is between .200 - .212 batting average.

That is all.
.200 has been universally accepted as the Mendoza line for years. From MLB.com

.200 has been universally accepted as the Mendoza line for years. From MLB.com

Yes it has and that is why you should never go to print without ALL the facts being factual!

They could have asked Steve Blass first!

The universally accepted line about the Vietnam War is incorrect on two fronts:

First, the Vietnam WAR was never a WAR; it was a conflict.

2nd, the U.S. did not lose the {war}. The U.S. 'pulled out' of the conflict.

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
Yes it has and that is why you should never go to print without ALL the facts being factual!

Steve Blass didn’t invent the name. He’s not the final word.

That is all.
There may or may not have been an inside joke on the Pirates with Mendoza. I’m curious as to when Blass would have created it as I’m not even sure there was any overlap of their careers, and Blass had his own sudden issues that derailed his career.

If somehow true, the saying took off when Mendoza was with Seattle and managed to become and hold a starting position despite his hitting woes (finished under .200). It’s true it was floating because it really was meant as a comparison to his average. In short time when he no longer held a starting position, it came to be thought of as .200.

• Love
Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV

I think it should be noted that many in the league are hitting just over .200. Milwaukee's team average is .212. Cubs .226. Fat Miggy in Detroit hitting .222. Austin Meadows .228 Lindor .217 Matt Carpenter .181. There are a lot of people you can pick on for low batting averages.

Last edited:
See my post above Larry.
When you know things are going the Bucco's way....
Kevin Newman gets a hit!!!
Phillip Evans hits a home run!!!
Chad Kuhl pitches respectable!!!

Raise The Jolly Roger in St Lou!!!

Adam Frazier home run ...red hot
Brian Reynolds home run...red hot
Ke'Bryan Hayes heating up

St Louis has now lost 17 of their last 23!!

There may or may not have been an inside joke on the Pirates with Mendoza. I’m curious as to when Blass would have created it as I’m not even sure there was any overlap of their careers, and Blass had his own sudden issues that derailed his career.

If somehow true, the saying took off when Mendoza was with Seattle and managed to become and hold a starting position despite his hitting woes (finished under .200). It’s true it was floating because it really was meant as a comparison to his average. In short time when he no longer held a starting position, it came to be thought of as .200.
BINGO!

Hey MJG90: It’s true it was floating because it really was meant as a comparison to his average. In short time when he no longer held a starting position, it came to be thought of as .200.

I asked Steve about "The" Mendoza line stating that it was NOT strictly .200 and he responded that was correct. It fluctated between .200 - .212.

Correct. I may have led you that way but he did NOT coin the term. My appologies but it is a fluctuating line sir.
Raise The Jolly Roger In St Louis for the second straight nite!!!

Will Crowe captures his first MLB win thanks to a strong bull pen behind him. Rich Rod puts the nails in the coffin with a clinic of a ninth inning.

The Big story of the night was KEVIN NEWMAN with TWO BIG HITS plus a walk, while playing his 63 game of the year in the field with ZERO ERRORS!!!! Quite impressive I must say with all the clamoring going on in the peanut gallery!!!!

Ke Hayes also with two hits.

Day game tomorrow. St Louis has lost 18 of their last 24. So Sad.

I think it should be noted that many in the league are hitting just over .200. Milwaukee's team average is .212. Cubs .226. Fat Miggy in Detroit hitting .222. Austin Meadows .228 Lindor .217 Matt Carpenter .181. There are a lot of people you can pick on for low batting averages.
coming up thru the system, Mendoza was known as the better hitter and Taveras as the better fielder. Taveras's .250 would be the middle of the pact on most of today's teams.

That's a very interesting article. Thanks for posting it. I follow the Pirates to a point. I mostly follow the draft and the minors though, not the actual team since it's usually just a pile of other team's scraps and not very good. I knew of Kranick, but had no idea of this part of his story. Hopefully it all works out.
What a shame that it's under weather delay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT