ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh Pirates 2021 Season Thread

Worthless thread. Starting a thread about the Pirates is like starting a thread about the Western Michigan Broncos. They are totally irrelevant. The Pirates are the worst team in baseball with no end in sight. They should be sold and they should move away from Pittsburgh which can no longer support a major league baseball team. The stadium should be torn down and the land sold to recoup some of the taxpayer money wasted on building it.

• Sad
Reactions: TheGLOV
Worthless thread. Starting a thread about the Pirates is like starting a thread about the Western Michigan Broncos. They are totally irrelevant. The Pirates are the worst team in baseball with no end in sight. They should be sold and they should move away from Pittsburgh which can no longer support a major league baseball team. The stadium should be torn down and the land sold to recoup some of the taxpayer money wasted on building it.
So why do you click on the thread if you want to choose to be negative.....stay away.

So why do you click on the thread if you want to choose to be negative.....stay away.
So every post has to be positive? Sounds useless and boring to me. I'm just trying to be objective. If I was posting about Pittsburgh sports in the 1970s I would be celebrating how excellent each team was.

So every post has to be positive? Sounds useless and boring to me. I'm just trying to be objective. If I was posting about Pittsburgh sports in the 1970s I would be celebrating how excellent each team was.
It's one thing to say something negative......it's another to talk trash about every single element of the team.

It's one thing to say something negative......it's another to talk trash about every single element of the team.
I live in the Pittsburgh area. When I was younger I attended about 40 Pirate games a year. This is when they had Stargell and Clemente. Then I continued attending when they had Bonds, Bonilla, Van Slyke, etc. Then I still went to games to see McCutchen, Burnett, Harrison, etc. Now I can't think of a single reason to go to a Pirates game. Their isn't any player on their team that is worth paying to see.

Reactions: hohmadw and TheGLOV
I live in the Pittsburgh area. When I was younger I attended about 40 Pirate games a year. This is when they had Stargell and Clemente. Then I continued attending when they had Bonds, Bonilla, Van Slyke, etc. Then I still went to games to see McCutchen, Burnett, Harrison, etc. Now I can't think of a single reason to go to a Pirates game. Their isn't any player on their team that is worth paying to see.
Watching Dale Long take BP was usually worth the 50 cents.

Obviously, you don't watch anymore since if you have seen Ke'Bryan Hayes play you would not say that.....or maybe you forgot....

All I can say is this GM is doing the right thing. It's going to be a rough couple of years, but with the amount of hugh end young talent he is getting, not to mention a couple #1 picks, they could be relevent in three years. It sucks, but it is there only hope.

Absolutely wrong on the city, the stadium, and moving the team. The only thing this team needs is new ownership that cares about winning and has enough money to compete. It’s one of the best stadiums to see a game. The city will support a competitive team.

The people need to very publicly organize a boycott. Show up opening day to protest and announce boycotting the games, the sponsors, the team clothing and swag, tv and radio shows. Cut up their Giant Eagle membership cards on tv, burn other sponsor’s logos. Have a website set up. Enroll people all day long.

Hit the clown in the wallet hard. Even boycott Seven Springs and his other businesses.

He has said he will never sell the team. Smack his wallet hard and he will change his tune. :mad:

All I can say is this GM is doing the right thing. It's going to be a rough couple of years, but with the amount of hugh end young talent he is getting, not to mention a couple #1 picks, they could be relevent in three years. It sucks, but it is there only hope.

Only to trade it away (again) for parts not as good as what we traded away!

I never heard of Ke'Bryan Hayes so I googled him. He looks interesting. I will have to keep an eye out for him next season.
If you haven't heard of K'Bryan Hayes, their starting 3rd baseman, you obviously don't follow the team and that sort of makes you unqualified to render such a strong judgement on them. Having said that, yeah, their short-term future looks bad. However, it is interesting to watch a young team develop.

Crazy talk..

Reactions: nits74 and TheGLOV
56-106 this year. 64-98 next then the year after that will depend on if they actually go out and sign a free-agent or two. My guess is that they won't and that by that time Hayes will probably get traded to the Yankees.

Endy a decent prospect, 20, athletic catcher.
Musgrove just an arm they don't need.

Each player received projects to have some sort of major league career. Head is the top prospect of the lot. The current Pirates roster (even before trading Bell and Musgrove) was going to be awful in 2021 anyway. It's a smart move to trade assets who will become too expensive before the team is good enough to start paying players.

I'll believe it when I see it, but it's my understanding that Nutting assured his new management team that there would be a certain budget to be spent over a certain number of years. So whatever they save now can go toward salaries in the future. Again, I'll believe it when I see it. But I don't think Travis Williams (or Ben Cherington for that matter) would have taken the job without believing he had a shot at being successful.

Reactions: bison13
No problem with the plan, but they have to properly execute it. You're right, it's the only thing they can do. And they have to stick with it. The last management team did well for a while, but lost its touch and also caved to media and fan pressure. The trade for Archer was one of the worst trades in team history.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbsteel
I'll bet that if you asked the previous GMs they would say that Nutting told them the same thing .

That's certainly possible. But the previous management team didn't even know how to scout its own organization let alone others. They got fleeced in almost every single trade they made. They had no clue how to develop prospects. And mostly got lucky to have the three year run they did. But that three year run ended up draining the system instead of replenishing it. Others (Rays) scout, draft, develop, and know when to move on from a player in order to keep the pipeline full. The Pirates did not. Hopefully this group is much better in all of those areas. If last year's draft and the trades to date are any indication, I think it's already an improvement.

That's certainly possible. But the previous management team didn't even know how to scout its own organization let alone others. They got fleeced in almost every single trade they made. They had no clue how to develop prospects. And mostly got lucky to have the three year run they did. But that three year run ended up draining the system instead of replenishing it. Others (Rays) scout, draft, develop, and know when to move on from a player in order to keep the pipeline full. The Pirates did not. Hopefully this group is much better in all of those areas. If last year's draft and the trades to date are any indication, I think it's already an improvement.
Saw your post after editing my own. You're on the money, although I wouldn't chalk up those three years to just luck given the mess management inherited at the time.

Reactions: MJG-90
Saw your post after editing my own. You're on the money, although I wouldn't chalk up those three years to just luck given the mess management inherited at the time.

I didn't mean it was "all luck." But they did get lucky to get better than expected performances from guys like Liriano, Happ, Burnett, and some others. But constantly drafting signable players vs. top talent. Getting fleeced in trades. Not developing talent (how much talent went elsewhere to be transformed into an all star). Waiting too long to make the proper trades (McCutcheon, Cole). They were a mess and that's not on the owner other than the owner should have recognized earlier how bad they were (though he probably got fooled by the three year playoff run).

Keep an eye on this kid. Attended the same HS as Nyeem Wartman. He absolutely dominated HS baseball in NEPA.

He'll be 24 this summer and has yet to pitch above A ball. Granted last summer the minors were shut down and maybe he would have been in AA. MLB prospects has him as the 28th best prospect in the organization. That's before the five new prospects were added. Not trying to knock the air out of your balloon, but just wondering why, other than what you mentioned, we should be keeping an eye on this kid.

He'll be 24 this summer and has yet to pitch above A ball. Granted last summer the minors were shut down and maybe he would have been in AA. MLB prospects has him as the 28th best prospect in the organization. That's before the five new prospects were added. Not trying to knock the air out of your balloon, but just wondering why, other than what you mentioned, we should be keeping an eye on this kid.
They put him on the 40 man roster in the fall. I'm not a Pirates fan but follow kids from my area.

It is hard to win doing it on a budget. That is just a fact so you can't make mistakes. There draft strategy was flawed as well. A team like the Pirates have to go high ceiling low floor. There is no reason to take a high floor low ceiling guy. They don't need to find #3 or #4 starters in the draft they need all stars. Hopefully this group understands talent better.

They put him on the 40 man roster in the fall. I'm not a Pirates fan but follow kids from my area.

That's a very interesting article. Thanks for posting it. I follow the Pirates to a point. I mostly follow the draft and the minors though, not the actual team since it's usually just a pile of other team's scraps and not very good. I knew of Kranick, but had no idea of this part of his story. Hopefully it all works out.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
The Pirates pitching development has been terrible so it's a good thing they got rid of Ray searage as his two-seam pitch to contact philosophy was not good for young pitchers. Reclamation projects that he was successful with but those were big Leaguers who had good careers and had a foundation they just needed Ray they get them back on track. These guys that have been developed differently from 15 U on up can't have the same training process that those veterans had.

Last edited:
Why bother? Might be a good year to take off.
56-106 this year. 64-98 next then the year after that will depend on if they actually go out and sign a free-agent or two. My guess is that they won't and that by that time Hayes will probably get traded to the Yankees.
So you are saying this would be a good year to take a sabbatical from being a Bucco fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT