ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh media

Ron Cook up late. Not worth the read. What an a-hole

"But even if this was my final Penn State-Pitt game here — the series is going on hiatus again after the teams play in Happy Valley next season with no plans for it to resume — I have no right to complain. I was blessed to watch some terrific games between the two schools in Pittsburgh.

That one in 2016 stands out. It was the first game in the series since Joe Paterno selfishly and peevishly ended it for 16 years after the 2000 game. Nathan Peterman threw three touchdown passes, James Conner rushed for 117 yards and a touchdown and cornerback Ryan Lewis intercepted McSorley in the end zone to clinch it.

The 2000 game was special, as well. Pitt won, 12-0, at Three Rivers Stadium. It wasn’t just Pitt’s first win against Penn State since 1988. It meant Paterno was the loser in the final game of the series in his lifetime. Pitt fans long will celebrate that thought.

"But even if this was my final Penn State-Pitt game here — the series is going on hiatus again after the teams play in Happy Valley next season with no plans for it to resume — I have no right to complain. I was blessed to watch some terrific games between the two schools in Pittsburgh.

That one in 2016 stands out. It was the first game in the series since Joe Paterno selfishly and peevishly ended it for 16 years after the 2000 game. Nathan Peterman threw three touchdown passes, James Conner rushed for 117 yards and a touchdown and cornerback Ryan Lewis intercepted McSorley in the end zone to clinch it.

The 2000 game was special, as well. Pitt won, 12-0, at Three Rivers Stadium. It wasn’t just Pitt’s first win against Penn State since 1988. It meant Paterno was the loser in the final game of the series in his lifetime. Pitt fans long will celebrate that thought.
We’ll just ignore all the losses.

Reactions: FightOnState
I thought it was very appropriate for all the Pitt greats to be on hand tonight to see the ship go down. Like all the senior people associated with the building of the Titanic who were invited to sail on the maiden voyage and got a birds eye view of the bottom of the Atlantic for their noble efforts.

I thought it was very appropriate for all the Pitt greats to be on hand tonight to see the ship go down. Like all the senior people associated with the building of the Titanic who were invited to sail on the maiden voyage and got a birds eye view of the bottom of the Atlantic for their noble efforts.
That is so wrong. I feel bad for laughing while reading this.

Reactions: bytir
“He hasn’t shown me much yet at Penn State.”

How about now Ron?
To be fair some on this board probably felt the same about Franklin at that time. Things have changed a bit since then - Narduzzi was #50 and Franklin #12 in SportingNew's latest rankings. I think Narduzzi is somewhat overrated there if you look at some of the coaches they have him ahead of and Franklin is underrated. Cook still said in his article tonight we don't look like a championship team. We'll see. For the Pitt fans and media wanting the series to continue, tonight should underscore why PSU is not interested. If Pitt was even close to its 76-82 form then I'd be all for it, but right now there isn't much upside to playing them. They're a team that you don't get a lot of credit for beating; they don't want to give up a game expecting a home-and-home; and In good years they are not so bad that they can't spring an upset if a team with a better program has an off day as happened to PSU and Clemson in 2016.

I can’t believe that a “journalist” actually wrote that. I don’t know who Ron Cook is, but that he’s employed at a newspaper is a good reason why that business is in it’s death knell

Reactions: Sullivan and Madsol
To be fair some on this board probably felt the same about Franklin at that time. Things have changed a bit since then - Narduzzi was #50 and Franklin #12 in SportingNew's latest rankings. I think Narduzzi is somewhat overrated there if you look at some of the coaches they have him ahead of and Franklin is underrated. Cook still said in his article tonight we don't look like a championship team. We'll see. For the Pitt fans and media wanting the series to continue, tonight should underscore why PSU is not interested. If Pitt was even close to its 76-82 form then I'd be all for it, but right now there isn't much upside to playing them. They're a team that you don't get a lot of credit for beating; they don't want to give up a game expecting a home-and-home; and In good years they are not so bad that they can't spring an upset if a team with a better program has an off day as happened to PSU and Clemson in 2016.

Did you listen to the broadcast? It comes down to economics. Not the relative success of the programs. It's the same thing that has been espoused for over 25 years. $$$$$$

Some of you guys are just as clueless as the Pitt fans you complain about.

Reactions: bytir
I can’t believe that a “journalist” actually wrote that. I don’t know who Ron Cook is, but that he’s employed at a newspaper is a good reason why that business is in it’s death knell

Yeah. That's a level of pettiness that reveals a deeper problem with Cook. Thou dost protest too much me thinks, Mr. Cook.

Reactions: BBrown
Did you listen to the broadcast? It comes down to economics. Not the relative success of the programs. It's the same thing that has been espoused for over 25 years. $$$$$$

Some of you guys are just as clueless as the Pitt fans you complain about.
Did you listen? Bottom line per Sandy is it's about trying to get to the playoff. We are scheduling teams like Auburn and Va. Tech because they will potentially help us get there. Wins in those games help and excusable losses in them don't hurt as much as we see with Washington right now. A win against Pitt really isn't any different than beating Akron. The ideal OOC schedule for teams with playoff aspirations not named Alabama seems to be two cupcakes who won't demand an away game in return and one winnable marquee match-up. A game with Pitt doesn't fit into that well as they haven't been a marquee team for almost 40 years.

Ron Cook: This chapter of Pitt-Penn State was one to forget

"I expected so much more from Penn State-Pitt Saturday night.

It surely was the final game of the wonderful series in Pittsburgh of my 80-year career, probably of my lifetime. Darn right I wanted more."
Just how old is he?
He's in his early to mid 60's. I've always considered him to be a columnist of pedestrian talent. He on the other hand thinks very highly of himself as evidenced by his sanctimony.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Ron Cook: This chapter of Pitt-Penn State was one to forget

"I expected so much more from Penn State-Pitt Saturday night.

It surely was the final game of the wonderful series in Pittsburgh of my 80-year career, probably of my lifetime. Darn right I wanted more."
Just how old is he?
Cook also has a radio show every day on 93.7 The Fan. He is constantly making stupid jokes about his age.

It's all bullshiz. And not funny. He's a little older than me - somewhere around 59-62 or so. The world is full of people who make their strongest, best contributions at that age or a lot older.

For a Northwestern guy, he's kind of a rock.

Did you listen? Bottom line per Sandy is it's about trying to get to the playoff. We are scheduling teams like Auburn and Va. Tech because they will potentially help us get there. Wins in those games help and excusable losses in them don't hurt as much as we see with Washington right now. A win against Pitt really isn't any different than beating Akron. The ideal OOC schedule for teams with playoff aspirations not named Alabama seems to be two cupcakes who won't demand an away game in return and one winnable marquee match-up. A game with Pitt doesn't fit into that well as they haven't been a marquee team for almost 40 years.

This. I’ll also add that Penn State needs 7 home games because football revenue supports 31 other sports...31. Those marquee teams that Penn State wants to play are going to insist on a “home and home”. At the moment that is what Pitt is demanding too, which means if Penn State continues the series they’ll be hard pressed to schedule seven home games in the years they play at Heinz Field. App. State and Kent State fit that bill this year, but teams like that don’t do much for your SOS if you’re trying to make the playoffs. So if the other OOC game is an alternating game with Pitt, then on the years we’re scheduled to play at Pitt either Penn State can’t play a marquee team, unless the schedule works out perfectly and they can play at Penn State that year, or you have teams like Akron, Kent State, Buffalo etc. constantly filling up the OOC home game slots.

No doubt Narduzzi and DAntonio voted Franklin as overrated. No doubt!

Pitt owes us a bunch of home games. I think we should be generous and just forget the debt- and them.

This is, yet, another example of your consistent genius and why you shall now, and forevermore, be referred to as MISTER mrtailgate. Bravo, Bravo, Bravo!

This. I’ll also add that Penn State needs 7 home games because football revenue supports 31 other sports...31. Those marquee teams that Penn State wants to play are going to insist on a “home and home”. At the moment that is what Pitt is demanding too, which means if Penn State continues the series they’ll be hard pressed to schedule seven home games in the years they play at Heinz Field. App. State and Kent State fit that bill this year, but teams like that don’t do much for your SOS if you’re trying to make the playoffs. So if the other OOC game is an alternating game with Pitt, then on the years we’re scheduled to play at Pitt either Penn State can’t play a marquee team, unless the schedule works out perfectly and they can play at Penn State that year, or you have teams like Akron, Kent State, Buffalo etc. constantly filling up the OOC home game slots.
You can blame the BIG as much as anyone since they imposed the 9-game conference slate and took away that 4th OOC game.

I believe Heather should apply for the AD position at Penn State and
furlough Barbour before she has the athletic dept in an economic abyss.

Pitt is winning this battle with Penn State: The two female AD’s, Heather Lyke vs. Sandy Barbour

... Lyke provides Pitt with some vision

"Who will win the battle at Heinz Field this evening between the Pitt Panthers and Penn State Nittany Lions? That could be a challenge for both teams. However, in the Pitt-Penn State saga, one university has taken a significant lead in one particular area: Athletic Leadership."

Link:
http://hce1947.blogspot.com/2018/09/pitt-is-winning-this-battle-two-female.html?m=1

Conclusion

"From what has been written here, the case os clear: Pitt has a promising A.D. who has the potential to lead the athletic program into the future, and Penn State has a seriously compromised A.D. who should not have been hired in the first place.

In this area, the Panthers have the upper hand, but Lyke has serious programs to address. While Penn State has some great athletic programs — women’s volleyball and men’s wrestling come to mind as tops in the country — Pitt has problems that need to be addressed in many areas. The good part is that Pitt should have some optimism.Having Barbour oversee the hugely expensive renovation of Beaver Stadium should be a concern for any PSU fan."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT