ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt vs Stanford in Sun Bowl.

I am shocked Sun wanted Pitt back after their last bowl game in El Paso.

Anyways, could be the quickest game in history with way both teams run.

They didn’t. There was a sun bowl picture and twitter poll circulating today that did not include Pitt. The ACC stepped in and made them take pitt.

Moral of the story....no one really likes Pitt

Mexico will send their army to the us border to protect against possible invasion by a caravan of undesirables, Pitt fans traveling to the gay

Did Pitt ever get paid for their last Sun Bowl? Believe it was the late 80s.

Pitt's defense only allowed 3 points in their last Sun Bowl.

Problem is they lost.

Ah yes. The famous 2008 Sun Bowl. It gave the phrase "meaningless bowl game" a new definition. I remember it because I picked Pitt to win since they had LeSean McCoy. But Pitt did what Pitt often does and played like a midget football league team. Since then I've only picked Pitt once in a bowl pool and they lost that game too. I've finally realized that betting on Pitt to win a bowl game (if they even get to one) is a fool's errand. Stanford is an easy bet for the Sun Bowl this year.

Ah yes. The famous 2008 Sun Bowl. It gave the phrase "meaningless bowl game" a new definition. I remember it because I picked Pitt to win since they had LeSean McCoy. But Pitt did what Pitt often does and played like a midget football league team. Since then I've only picked Pitt once in a bowl pool and they lost that game too. I've finally realized that betting on Pitt to win a bowl game (if they even get to one) is a fool's errand. Stanford is an easy bet for the Sun Bowl this year.
If Stanford is motivated and plays like they can play they will win by 30. However, for a program like Stanford's I'm concerned they will be so disappointed with a game in El Paso against an ACC Coastal cupcake that they may not be interested in the game.

Keep picking them

Pitt's defense only allowed 3 points in their last Sun Bowl.

Problem is they lost.

My flight back from the Rose Bowl that year had a stop in Dallas. A Pitt fan boarded along with his wife. He saw my Penn State gear and made a crack about us being blown out by USC. I answered, "At least we scored." His wife said to him, "You deserved that one."

The San Jose Mercury News has the following headline:

“Stanford headed to Sun Bowl; draws 6-loss Team”

Lol.
I thought you were kidding.......

Stanford headed to Sun Bowl; draws 6-loss team
stanford22.jpg

JJ Arcega-Whiteside (left), Osiris St. Brown and the Stanford Cardinal are headed to a bowl game.
The bowl season will take Stanford to Texas once again.

The Cardinal (8-4) is headed to El Paso for the Sun Bowl on Dec. 31 against Pitt. Kickoff is 11 a.m. (Pacific) on CBS.

It’s the fifth Sun Bowl for Stanford, including a 2016 victory over North Carolina. In 2017, Stanford played in the Alamo Bowl, based in San Antonio. It’s the 10th year in a row that Stanford has been invited to a bowl, a school record.

Stanfor will be playing in Texas for the third year in a row, returning to El Paso for the Sun Bowl it won in 2016. Last season, Stanford was in San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl. At least the matchup is novel: Stanford hasn’t played Pitt since 1932.

Pitt has a 7-6 record, but went 6-2 in the Atlantic Coast Conference, all six wins coming against teams in the bowl lineup. The Panthers were routed 42-10 by Clemson on Saturday in the ACC championship game.They’ve also been routed by Central Florida (45-14) and Penn State (51-6). Pitt’s most impressive showing against top-flight competition might have been a 19-14 loss at Notre Dame.

Stanford and Pitt have met only three times, most recently in 1932 in Pittsburgh. They played in the 1928 Rose Bowl, won by Stanford 7-6.

Reactions: JJTopp99 and Bob78
Pitt Nation will travel well to El Paso.

“Pitt Nation” is so small it’s even dwarfed by the smallest country in the world, Vatican City.

Though I gotta admit, there’s probably a lot more prayer needed in “Pitt Nation”!

Reactions: JJTopp99
I've been to Stanford's campus and I think it's kinda ugly. Every building has the same "light brown sides, red top" color scheme, which I guess is okay if you like that color scheme but I do not. But judge for yourself.

I will say the Sun Bowl is at a time when I always seem to find in on TV and watch it. One of those afternoon games in between Xmas and New Years when there isn't much left to do and you stumble across it and have it on the TV why piddling around the house. There have been some really awful games, typically with about 10,000 people in the stands. One of those bowl games that I am surprised doesn't insist on a Texas team being in it every year to at least get some people in the seats.

Well yeah, after all its Pitt's "second home".
The pitters should take advantage of this year's trip to a minor bowl. Based on Narduzzi's recruiting they are unlikely to get to a bowl again for a long time, even though they play in the easiest division in college football.

For you real old timers like me you might might remember Tony Dorsett's performance in the Sun Bowl versus Kansas circa 1974 or 1975... That was Pitt's first bowl game in years and was the "springboard" to their 36th national championship back in 1976. YouTube it. Probably some highlights out there... Sun Bowl committee is probably digitally restoring those tapes to run as promos for the big game as I write!

For you real old timers like me you might might remember Tony Dorsett's performance in the Sun Bowl versus Kansas circa 1974 or 1975... That was Pitt's first bowl game in years and was the "springboard" to their 36th national championship back in 1976. YouTube it. Probably some highlights out there... Sun Bowl committee is probably digitally restoring those tapes to run as promos for the big game as I write!
I wonder how many unpaid traffic tickets Dorsett accumulated in El Paso??

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I really liked their campus.

I was gonna say the same thing. I got the opportunity to stay on the Stanford campus several times usually for about a week at a time when my girlfriend was doing a post-doctorate sabbatical there way back when. They housed her in a modest on-campus house which was nice. I enjoyed walking around the campus. Nice architecture and coeds to eyeball as well.

Over on the LAIR there’s talk of chartering a plane to save money for those going to the Sun Bowl. I guess that means Soupy has to fire up the old Sopwich Camel.

Wonder how safe Pitt + 6 1/2 is?? Love prob won’t play, Stanford sucks this year, and I don’t know if Shaw feels safe there right now.

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT