ADVERTISEMENT

Per ESPN, Steelers are trading a 6th round pick for Fields.

IMO, that’s a great trade for them.
I’ll disagree. This is worse than trading Pickett. Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but i have zero confidence and zero faith that JF will amount to anything in the NFL.

ON the bright side, if it only cost them a sixth round pick, maybe it’s semi neutral as a trade

I’ll disagree. This is worse than trading Pickett. Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but i have zero confidence and zero faith that JF will amount to anything in the NFL.

ON the bright side, if it only cost them a sixth round pick, maybe it’s semi neutral as a trade
It’s also a 6th round pick in 2025, which makes it even better.

Fields may never become any better than he was in Chicago, but he’s younger than Pickett, has started more NFL games than Pickett, and has many more physical capabilities than Pickett. To me, he’s a big upgrade as a backup.

Fields may never become any better than he was in Chicago, but he’s younger than Pickett, has started more NFL games than Pickett, and has many more physical capabilities than Pickett. To me, he’s a big upgrade as a backup.
Kenny is safer. Fields has far more room to be a bust. Basically Kenny for Fields. Time will tell if it's a good call but can't be too bad. Neither are starters long term.

To me, he’s a big upgrade as a backup.
Key point and i agree.

However, What do we do next year? RW is a one year fit. JF is a career backup. Drafting at 20-ish each year does not endear them to getting a ’good’ QB.

I think the Steelers need to look to mid-Major QBs like Big Ben was. I think mid-majors don’t have the luxury of superior talent surrounding them in college and they develop real skills

Key point and i agree.

However, What do we do next year? RW is a one year fit. JF is a career backup. Drafting at 20-ish each year does not endear them to getting a ’good’ QB.

I think the Steelers need to look to mid-Major QBs like Big Ben was. I think mid-majors don’t have the luxury of superior talent surrounding them in college and they develop real skills
They'll be taking Nix or Pennix at 20 or Milton in the second. No doubt in my mind unless they love Travis or Rattler.

They'll be taking Nix or Pennix at 20 or Milton in the second. No doubt in my mind unless they love Travis or Rattler.
I need to ponder thiS. Maybe it’s good. Maybe it’s not. Penix I don’t think will hold up physically. Nix seems like Pickett.

Then Again, selecting a starting QB is like throwing darts.

I need to ponder thiS. Maybe it’s good. Maybe it’s not. Penix I don’t think will hold up physically. Nix seems like Pickett.

I'm not hoping for that. I think they're happy with the defense right now after adding a LB CB and S. I'm guessing thy go WR/QB/OL/DB with their first 4 picks.

Keep in mind though, it's the Bears and being originally from Chicago, it's the place where QBs go to die. That 1985 Bears team seems like a lifetime ago. The absolute worse thing that could happen to that USC QB is to get drafted by the Bears.

Reactions: GregInPitt

Yep. The 49ers got their Super Bowl QB with the last selection in the 7th round. I still hope the Steelers use a dart to take a young QB somewhere in the upcoming draft.

Reactions: rrdd2021
Yep. The 49ers got their Super Bowl QB with the last selection in the 7th round. I still hope the Steelers use a dart to take a young QB somewhere in the upcoming draft.
They like to have 4 arms in camp. Maybe a late draft pick and an UDFA

So you think Pickett has similar football skills as Fields! You must be blind!
What? Read it again slowly. Pickett is a guy that likely will be in the league for a decade as a backup. Fields has way more upside but also could be out of league in 2 years. He holds the ball longer than all but one QB which a sign he can't read defenses. Pickett is Matt Cassell. Fields can be an average at best starter (unlikely) or bagging groceries by 2026. There's a reason Fields isn't in a competition to start.

What? Read it again slowly. Pickett is a guy that likely will be in the league for a decade as a backup. Fields has way more upside but also could be out of league in 2 years. He holds the ball longer than all but one QB which a sign he can't read defenses. Pickett is Matt Cassell. Fields can be an average at best starter (unlikely) or bagging groceries by 2026. There's a reason Fields isn't in a competition to start.
My view is that Fields won't start this year because Wilson is still an elite QB. Fields is the starter in waiting and could well be the Steelers starter for a decade after Wilson retires. Omar Kahn has set the Steelers up for long term success by getting the right pair of QBs in place and getting rid of a no talent stiff in Pickett.

Reactions: EMCLION
My view is that Fields won't start this year because Wilson is still an elite QB. Fields is the starter in waiting and could well be the Steelers starter for a decade after Wilson retires. Omar Kahn has set the Steelers up for long term success by getting the right pair of QBs in place and getting rid of a no talent stiff in Pickett.
Wilson isn't an elite QB at this stage of his career. That's complete nonsense if we're being truthful. I'm fine with the trades but pretending Fields is close to a sure thing just doesn't add up. There was no market for him for a reason. Fields has the higher ceiling but an incredibly low floor. Just dealing with what is. You're being optimistic.

Wilson isn't an elite QB at this stage of his career. That's complete nonsense if we're being truthful. I'm fine with the trades but pretending Fields is close to a sure thing just doesn't add up. There was no market for him for a reason. Fields has the higher ceiling but an incredibly low floor. Just dealing with what is. You're being optimistic.
Wilson's stats speak for themselves. Last season on a crap team he passed for 3,070 yards while completing 66.4% of his passes for 26 TDs and only 8 interceptions. That is an elite performance. The last time the Steelers had a QB with stats that good was Big Ben in 2014.

He's got that bit of a windup that allows windows to close before his ball gets there

Wilson's stats speak for themselves. Last season on a crap team he passed for 3,070 yards while completing 66.4% of his passes for 26 TDs and only 8 interceptions. That is an elite performance. The last time the Steelers had a QB with stats that good was Big Ben in 2014.
On a crap team in which he had far better receivers than we currently have. Our #2 is Van Jefferson or Calvin Austin. Pickens isn't close to Sutton.

I like the Fields trade but it does come with one dilemma. The Steelers will have to decide on exercising his fifth year contract option by May of 2025. If he doesn't start this year, which is generally assumed that he won't, they'll have a pretty limited sample of how he's going perform with them. The price tag is over $25 Million as of now, and I assume it could go higher by next May.

I like the Fields trade but it does come with one dilemma. The Steelers will have to decide on exercising his fifth year contract option by May of 2025. If he doesn't start this year, which is generally assumed that he won't, they'll have a pretty limited sample of how he's going perform with them. The price tag is over $25 Million as of now, and I assume it could go higher by next May.
They have to decide by May of this year not next year.

On a crap team in which he had far better receivers than we currently have. Our #2 is Van Jefferson or Calvin Austin. Pickens isn't close to Sutton.
We both know that the Steelers will be adding WRs either through the draft or by free agency. They have a nice healthy salary cap to pay for some good receivers. Also, maybe they will start throwing to their tight ends more. Pickett seemed unable to take advantage of their tight ends.

Or they could negotiate a longer term contract IF they are still/become convinced he is a long term solution….

What the Steelers did in the past couple of weeks: replacing Pickett and Trubisky with Wilson and Fields virtually for free may go down as an historically great series of NFL moves. For the Steelers it may end up rivaling the 1969 Draft in importance to the fate of the franchise.
See this is the exaggeration I'm talking about. It's absurd.

• Haha
Reactions: cntblvitsbutter
What you're hoping for is that RW finds that fountain of youth for just 1 more year, and that you find lightning in a bottle in Fields. The odds of both happening are pretty much 0. The odds of even one happening is low.

Reactions: 91Joe95
What you're hoping for is that RW finds that fountain of youth for just 1 more year, and that you find lightning in a bottle in Fields. The odds of both happening are pretty much 0. The odds of even one happening is low.
Which is why Kahn could surprise by taking a QB on the 2nd day if there is one he likes available…. Even if that young QB ends up 3rd string to start his rookie season.

You have your opinion and I have my opinion. We can agree to disagree. You seem to think that Pickett has some value. I think he sucks.
Pickett had more trade value than Fields but he's irrelevant.
You're overvaluing a 35 year old Wilson who's past his prime and Fields who literally no one wanted so Chicago gave him away.

He will most likely play in two games or more. Pretty rare for a starting NFL QB to go all season without injury. Especially for and older guy that likes to run.

With all this splashing in the pool by the Stillers around the QB position you still have to face the brutal facts that they have not solved the long term QB issue. I think they have done a nice job in the short term as in one year maybe two but what will that get us? Does it mean a playoff appearance? A playoff win?? Remember we are talking about Mike Tomlin here. Not exactly Mr. Clutch in the playoffs.

I don't see Fields working out for the Stillers as the long term option. It would be great if he became "the man" but I have serious doubts.. He already has agreed to be a backup. There is a reason he was on the market for the big expense of a conditional 6th rd pick in 2025. That reason is he is not that good.

At the end of the day we are going to need to hit it with a draft pick that ultimately can be our long term starter. This is where the scouts and GM need to earn their money. I would tell Tomlin at this point to just get the hell out of the way when it comes to drafting a QB. He has failed at getting us one who can develop into a good, solid starter.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
What the Steelers did in the past couple of weeks: replacing Pickett and Trubisky with Wilson and Fields virtually for free may go down as an historically great series of NFL moves. For the Steelers it may end up rivaling the 1969 Draft in importance to the fate of the franchise.
‘74 wasn’t better and more important?

Reactions: OKLionFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT