ADVERTISEMENT

Great draft points up failures of our 2023 offense

Jerry

May 29, 2001
So Olu the #11 overall pick...Wallace high 3rd round...I'm thinking Nourzad in either the 4th or 5th round. If I'm right about Nourzad, that would make three NFL-caliber players, one of them a potential future all-pro, on our 2023 OL.

Good news for those guys and the Penn State brand, but it's even harder now to see last year's frustrations on O, to include the often sputtering run game (despite the talent in the backfield), as anything other than the result of a flawed offensive system and underachievement on the part of the coaches. Hopefully the change in offensive coordinators will successfully address those issues, but Yurcich arrived amid similarly high hopes.

Sorry, don't mean to rain on the parade of what's shaping up to be a great draft for Penn State players. I'm glad so many of them will get a shot at the next level.

So Olu the #11 overall pick...Wallace high 3rd round...I'm thinking Nourzad in either the 4th or 5th round. If I'm right about Nourzad, that would make three NFL-caliber players, one of them a potential future all-pro, on our 2023 OL.

Good news for those guys and the Penn State brand, but it's even harder now to see last year's frustrations on O, to include the often sputtering run game (despite the talent in the backfield), as anything other than the result of a flawed offensive system and underachievement on the part of the coaches. Hopefully the change in offensive coordinators will successfully address those issues, but Yurcich arrived amid similarly high hopes.

Sorry, don't mean to rain on the parade of what's shaping up to be a great draft for Penn State players. I'm glad so many of them will get a shot at the next level.
Anybody who knows anything about football saw that the offensive schemes were terrible as early as the Illinois game, and definitely by the Northwestern game. The use of Singleton was coaching malpractice.

Reactions: blair10 and Jerry
Anybody who knows anything about football saw that the offensive schemes were terrible as early as the Illinois game, and definitely by the Northwestern game. The use of Singleton was coaching malpractice.

Yup...I mean, seriously, you've got two blue-chip backs, an all-world recruit at QB, three guys drafted by the NFL on the OL, one guy drafted by the NFL at TE.

The job of the coaches is to install a system that realizes the potential of all that talent and makes it work together for a productive offense. That didn't happen in 2023.

Yup...I mean, seriously, you've got two blue-chip backs, an all-world recruit at QB, three guys drafted by the NFL on the OL, one guy drafted by the NFL at TE.

The job of the coaches is to install a system that realizes the potential of all that talent and makes it work together for a productive offense. That didn't happen in 2023.
Based on NFL draft + future prospects PSU had top level OL, QB, RB, & TE. The obvious hole was WR. I'm not convinced that swapping Fleming for KLS is going to make a huge difference.

I think the O underperformed with the talent on hand and that the schemes were a significant part of that. But the lack of any deep threat completely collapsed the defense into the box and that suffocated the run game and the short pass game.

One WR that could take the top off of the defense could have had a big impact. Unfortunately, I don't think that we added anyone that does that for us this year. We just have to hope that the schemes improved drastically.

Reactions: rcy4499 and Jerry
An accurate QB would have helped immensely. No doubt, the WR room was inconsistent and a mish mash of guys each week. But, many blue bloods (including playoff teams) have WR rooms that are fine, but not elite with guys who can take the top off.

Allar was beyond terrible in the 2 big games, and his completion percentage for the season was disappointing....no matter how long JF slobbers over his TD-INT ratio.

I'm curious how Andy will help Drew by sheer schematic changes, cleaner throwing windows, etc. Drew needs to elevate big time for us to get where we need to go.

I remember Kerry Collins struggled early at PSU then the lights came on. I see the same with Allar. From what I could tell, Allar needed (needs?) a coach who is also a therapist to calm him down and slow the game down. The kid has the physical capability. I think we saw someone struggling with the mental pressure in the intense games and who was also not set up properly with play designs, etc. Hoping a year makes a big diff like Collins.

Based on NFL draft + future prospects PSU had top level OL, QB, RB, & TE. The obvious hole was WR. I'm not convinced that swapping Fleming for KLS is going to make a huge difference.
I think the O underperformed with the talent on hand and that the schemes were a significant part of that. But the lack of any deep threat completely collapsed the defense into the box and that suffocated the run game and the short pass game.

One WR that could take the top off of the defense could have had a big impact. Unfortunately, I don't think that we added anyone that does that for us this year. We just have to hope that the schemes improved drastically.
An accurate QB would have helped immensely. No doubt, the WR room was inconsistent and a mish mash of guys each week. But, many blue bloods (including playoff teams) have WR rooms that are fine, but not elite with guys who can take the top off.

Allar was beyond terrible in the 2 big games, and his completion percentage for the season was disappointing....no matter how long JF slobbers over his TD-INT ratio.

I'm curious how Andy will help Drew by sheer schematic changes, cleaner throwing windows, etc. Drew needs to elevate big time for us to get where we need to go.

All good points. No question, WR was the achilles heel of the offense. But I don't think blame can be pinned on that single factor.

I mean, leaving aside the embarrassingly inept performances on O against the two heavyweights, how can less-than-stellar defenses like Illinois and Northwestern totally contain a run game boasting the OL and backfield talent that we had?

Beyond that, there's been a disturbing pattern of seeming regression in cases of blue-chip talent like Singleton and Allar. Even a guy like KLS, who was never at the level of our other #1 receivers of recent years, nevertheless had a more or less productive first half of the season and then...disappeared. By the last few games of the year, it was like he'd been read out of the game plan.

What is the hallmark of excellent coaching? Guys being developed and playing to their potential so that the team becomes more than the sum of its parts. Penn State's 2023 offense was less than the sum of its parts. A lot less.

Yurcich came to us with super high hopes, an impressive track record, and much media ballyhoo. Kotelnicki is surrounded by some of the same hype. I sure hope the ending is better in his case.

Reactions: scrivener
I remember Kerry Collins struggled early at PSU then the lights came on. I see the same with Allar. From what I could tell, Allar needed (needs?) a coach who is also a therapist to calm him down and slow the game down. The kid has the physical capability. I think we saw someone struggling with the mental pressure in the intense games and who was also not set up properly with play designs, etc. Hoping a year makes a big diff like Collins.
Watching some of Collins PSU films I saw the same thing. Early on he seemed unsure of many of his throws. I thought it was then that Fran started to allow Kerry to be Kerry and let him call plays he felt comfortable with. Or at the very least let him free lance it. Having a world class oline couldn't have have hurt either though.

All good points. No question, WR was the achilles heel of the offense. But I don't think blame can be pinned on that single factor.

I mean, leaving aside the embarrassingly inept performances on O against the two heavyweights, how can less-than-stellar defenses like Illinois and Northwestern totally contain a run game boasting the OL and backfield talent that we had?

Beyond that, there's been a disturbing pattern of seeming regression in cases of blue-chip talent like Singleton and Allar. Even a guy like KLS, who was never at the level of our other #1 receivers of recent years, nevertheless had a more or less productive first half of the season and then...disappeared. By the last few games of the year, it was like he'd been read out of the game plan.

What is the hallmark of excellent coaching? Guys being developed and playing to their potential so that the team becomes more than the sum of its parts. Penn State's 2023 offense was less than the sum of its parts. A lot less.

Yurcich came to us with super high hopes, an impressive track record, and much media ballyhoo. Kotelnicki is surrounded by some of the same hype. I sure hope the ending is better in his case.
Excellent points, especially about the blue chip talent, or perceived alpha's at said positions....Nick, Drew, Kalen., and many more over the years. (I also question Seider's ability to develop since that room has pretty much been high star guys: Cain, Ford, Holmes, Nick, etc.)

As I've mentioned on here a bunch, JF deserves IMMENSE credit for his decade of time here populating the NFL draft with a ton of players at a variety of positions -- resulting in starters and pro bowlers, etc. There were many lean years under Joe where we didn't sniff the quality in the draft that we have seen. The draft has been fun and exciting to see where our guys go.

So why is that the sum of all these parts equals absolute regression in big games -- and even in lesser games as you point out. If it wasn't for Manny and the D forcing like 5 turnovers vs ILL, that game is coming down to the wire. We were tied with NW at the half and we were absolutely abysmal all game offensively -- but our sheer talent took over.

Despite the what the fan boys and excuse makers say on here, JF is an average coach at best, and an excellent CEO and builder, so to speak. He sees the macro...the bigger picture and understands that part. He would be a really good AD or administrator. But, I think we can safely say, from a coaching standpoint, in developing mental toughness especially, he is terrible. From the dozens and dozens of draft picks he has had in the decade + since joining PSU....really with the exception of 2016, his teams are soft mentally, don't close out big games and don't come through in the clutch, despite being uber talented. Sure, as the fanboys point out about win percentage and 10 win seasons, I don't judge him nor the team on beating Iowa, Rutgers, MD, MSU, etc. If some do, that's fine. But, as Kraft said, he expects to compete for championships. So I will too.

JF needs top flight coordinators for the team to have a chance, ala Manny the last two years, who was A+. I really want to believe in JF -- I think he's a good guy and stands for better than most in the industry, but at some point, he just becomes a word salad guy.

I just think he's too soft on the team and doesn't coach hard...like BOB did, Saban did, etc. There is not enough accountability for poor play on the field, being undisciplined etc. He runs a friendship camp, not a football team on gameday, and I think that is one of the many issues.

I actually think Allar was coached into being too conservative and too afraid to let it rip. They were obviously trying to prevent interceptions from a young 1st time starter but I think they killed his confidence. In the WVA game, Allar made it happen (against a weaker secondary). He threw back across the grain and hit open WRs. I think the offensive coaches saw that as potential for a ton of turnovers later and slammed the breaks and told him to check down (like always).

Reactions: royboy

This is everything in a nutshell.

2 of Allar's better, memorable throws were the TD vs WVU and the TD vs Indiana. One requires patience, pocket presence, the other required a well placed throw. KLS wasn't absurdly open. He just caught well placed throws.

Allar doesn't have to be 70%+ completion for us to be successful, but he's got to well place enough of the 60%+ ones to allow our receivers the chance to do something with the YAC.

Reactions: rcy4499 and royboy

The sixth offensive coordinator has got to be the charm. Right?

It's generally the Jimmy's and Joe's more than the Xs and Os but not always.

I remember getting beat by an inferior MSU team a few years ago. Dantonio knew he was outmanned but came up with a few plays that caught PSU totally by surprise.

Even last year UM (who wasn't outmanned) was struggling to move the ball against PSU. Then they went with 7 OL and broke off two huge runs that made the difference.

IMO PSU hasn't done much of that. We seem more focused on doing the same thing and hoping for better execution instead of thinking of better ways to keep opponents off balance. JMO.

P.S. I know Franklin put Warren in the backfield to push the RB when we were at the goal line but it became predictable.

I also believe another "hole" was at QB. Allar did not get rid of the ball fast enough partly due to WR's not getting open quickly, Allar also did not very consistently recognize the rush and let the ball go down field and give his WR's a chance to make a play in the big games. He had a great TD to INT ratio, but needs to push it down the field more especially against the best teams.

It's been the same story for years. Better teams load up the box to stop PSU's running game and also pressure the PSU QB and it works for them. Until PSU can put in plays to get the ball to the RB's and WR/TE's in space on short, quick throws the better teams will stiffle PSU's running game enough and PSU won't be able to sustain enough drives to win those games.

But we have a new OC, so hope will spring eternal for this season.......

Believe it or not, passing 3 out of four downs with a QB who misses his receivers by 10 yards is a bad idea.

When you average more per rushing attempt than passing attempt you have a problem if you pass 3 to 1.

Watching us literally throw the game away against OSU was probably the most frustrating game I have seen since Paternos last game against Illinois

Reactions: scrivener
It's generally the Jimmy's and Joe's more than the Xs and Os but not always.

I remember getting beat by an inferior MSU team a few years ago. Dantonio knew he was outmanned but came up with a few plays that caught PSU totally by surprise.

Even last year UM (who wasn't outmanned) was struggling to move the ball against PSU. Then they went with 7 OL and broke off two huge runs that made the difference.

IMO PSU hasn't done much of that. We seem more focused on doing the same thing and hoping for better execution instead of thinking of better ways to keep opponents off balance. JMO.

P.S. I know Franklin put Warren in the backfield to push the RB when we were at the goal line but it became predictable.
The Chiefs have won the last two Super Bowls without an elite wide receiver or running back; I believe that their wide receivers led the league this past season in drops. However, Reid is a master offensive schemer and play caller, although it does help to have a HOF qb and tight end.

Reactions: lazydave841

You can talk all you want about offensive schemes, but it won't change when the head coach wants the mesh point with our backs in the RPO. We made Barkley stand still, and had 3 defensive players meeting him in the backfield on almost every running play.

The Chiefs have won the last two Super Bowls without an elite wide receiver or running back; I believe that their wide receivers led the league this past season in drops. However, Reid is a master offensive schemer and play caller, although it does help to have a HOF qb and tight end.

Pacheco has played very good ball for them. I'm not sure I'd call it elite either, but he's been an excellent late round pickup.

If he plays a 3rd straight year at the same level, I'd put him in that elite category for a league that plug-n-plays RBs.

You can talk all you want about offensive schemes, but it won't change when the head coach wants the mesh point with our backs in the RPO. We made Barkley stand still, and had 3 defensive players meeting him in the backfield on almost every running play.

Yup...I hate this zone-read...RPO...whatever you want to call it...with run plays slow to develop three yards in the backfield. Even middling defenses these days have the speed and athleticism to blow that up.

Instead devise plays to get guys on the edge...in space...mix in the read-option stuff...be creative with the short passing game. This all seems obvious to me. OK, granted, I'm an arm-chair play-caller. But still...

Excellent points, especially about the blue chip talent, or perceived alpha's at said positions....Nick, Drew, Kalen., and many more over the years. (I also question Seider's ability to develop since that room has pretty much been high star guys: Cain, Ford, Holmes, Nick, etc.)

As I've mentioned on here a bunch, JF deserves IMMENSE credit for his decade of time here populating the NFL draft with a ton of players at a variety of positions -- resulting in starters and pro bowlers, etc. There were many lean years under Joe where we didn't sniff the quality in the draft that we have seen. The draft has been fun and exciting to see where our guys go.

So why is that the sum of all these parts equals absolute regression in big games -- and even in lesser games as you point out. If it wasn't for Manny and the D forcing like 5 turnovers vs ILL, that game is coming down to the wire. We were tied with NW at the half and we were absolutely abysmal all game offensively -- but our sheer talent took over.

Despite the what the fan boys and excuse makers say on here, JF is an average coach at best, and an excellent CEO and builder, so to speak. He sees the macro...the bigger picture and understands that part. He would be a really good AD or administrator. But, I think we can safely say, from a coaching standpoint, in developing mental toughness especially, he is terrible. From the dozens and dozens of draft picks he has had in the decade + since joining PSU....really with the exception of 2016, his teams are soft mentally, don't close out big games and don't come through in the clutch, despite being uber talented. Sure, as the fanboys point out about win percentage and 10 win seasons, I don't judge him nor the team on beating Iowa, Rutgers, MD, MSU, etc. If some do, that's fine. But, as Kraft said, he expects to compete for championships. So I will too.

JF needs top flight coordinators for the team to have a chance, ala Manny the last two years, who was A+. I really want to believe in JF -- I think he's a good guy and stands for better than most in the industry, but at some point, he just becomes a word salad guy.

I just think he's too soft on the team and doesn't coach hard...like BOB did, Saban did, etc. There is not enough accountability for poor play on the field, being undisciplined etc. He runs a friendship camp, not a football team on gameday, and I think that is one of the many issues.

I've always been a JF-booster, but I admit, the last few years have given me second thoughts.

I don't think you can underestimate the impact of the two 4th-quarter one-point losses to Ohio State in 2017-2018. Total back-breakers from a psychological point of view. I'm not sure he or the program ever recovered.

The record shows that JF is a good...but not great...coach, which is sort of like what he once infamously said about his team.

I've always been a JF-booster, but I admit, the last few years have given me second thoughts.

I don't think you can underestimate the impact of the two 4th-quarter one-point losses to Ohio State in 2017-2018. Total back-breakers from a psychological point of view. I'm not sure he or the program ever recovered.

The record shows that JF is a good...but not great...coach, which is sort of like what he once infamously said about his team.
No question...good point. 2017-2018 were his and the programs' chance to put the foot down on OSU, especially 2017. That team returned many key guys from '16, and that had to be the playoff year. We totally blew it in back-to-back weeks. From then on, we haven't been the same.

Maybe I’m a dinosaur, but it seems to me with a better than average OLine which we had and two above average running backs, and a good stable of tight ends, we should have been throwing play action passes a lot more on first and second downs. I believe it would have helped our wide receivers get better separation more often. We seemed to run, run throw quite a bit which played into defensive game plans more often than not.

I also believe another "hole" was at QB. Allar did not get rid of the ball fast enough partly due to WR's not getting open quickly, Allar also did not very consistently recognize the rush and let the ball go down field and give his WR's a chance to make a play in the big games. He had a great TD to INT ratio, but needs to push it down the field more especially against the best teams.

It's been the same story for years. Better teams load up the box to stop PSU's running game and also pressure the PSU QB and it works for them. Until PSU can put in plays to get the ball to the RB's and WR/TE's in space on short, quick throws the better teams will stiffle PSU's running game enough and PSU won't be able to sustain enough drives to win those games.

But we have a new OC, so hope will spring eternal for this season.......
I think Franklin and the OC were in his head too much regarding turnovers.

No question...good point. 2017-2018 were his and the programs' chance to put the foot down on OSU, especially 2017. That team returned many key guys from '16, and that had to be the playoff year. We totally blew it in back-to-back weeks. From then on, we haven't been the same.
It seems it could be a mental thing with Franklin in these big games which translates over to the team being mentally soft. He does not instill any confidence that we will win the game like a Saban or a Smart or even Harbaugh does. The team comes up small in the clutch and as pointed out those games in '17 and '18 were classic games of how to take defeat from the jaws of victory. And the Rose Bowl vs USC was another bad movie. It's at the point now in these big games where you are are waitng for the big mistake, bad play call. whatever.

This year is really big. He needs to beat USC or it is just another monkey on his back. Beating OSU would be great but he has demonstrated no ability to do that since 2016.

It seems it could be a mental thing with Franklin in these big games which translates over to the team being mentally soft. He does not instill any confidence that we will win the game like a Saban or a Smart or even Harbaugh does. The team comes up small in the clutch and as pointed out those games in '17 and '18 were classic games of how to take defeat from the jaws of victory. And the Rose Bowl vs USC was another bad movie. It's at the point now in these big games where you are are waitng for the big mistake, bad play call. whatever.

This year is really big. He needs to beat USC or it is just another monkey on his back. Beating OSU would be great but he has demonstrated no ability to do that since 2016.

For all of the hype about JF's recruiting ability, we have had a hard time getting top talent on the interior D-line, at QB and at WR. Maybe the reason we have so much trouble recruiting top level WRs is our history at the QB position, especially under this regime. We haven't had many top 5 classes under JF.

Reactions: 91Joe95
For all of the hype about JF's recruiting ability, we have had a hard time getting top talent on the interior D-line, at QB and at WR. Maybe the reason we have so much trouble recruiting top level WRs is our history at the QB position, especially under this regime. We haven't had many top 5 classes under JF.
Yet every starting qb under Franklin either has been drafted or signed as a free agent in the NFL, and Allar will join that list if he progresses as expected this upcoming season. Also, until recently, several wide receivers under Frankin also have been drafted and played in the NFL, including Godwin, Washington, and Hamler. The problem is that through last season, PSU had to play in the same division as OSU, which is on another level when it comes to those positions, and that includes schools like Bama and UGA.

Lot of good points here, I especially appreciate the ones regarding Allar being coached to not turn the ball over. I'm uncertain that Franklin has any idea how to coach a stationary QB and I'm concerned, based on his experience, neither does AK(I generally liked the hire). The plan with Clifford, and Franklin was not shy about saying it, was to get him to be faster....more of a running threat. Franklin is obsessed with running QBS and I understand why, but just watch Franklin's old college tape, he tried to be Randall Cunningham. I just don't think Franklin has any idea how to use a big armed pocket passer(Hack, Allar). He falls back on....just don't turn it over. I also am frustrated with, and this relates, Franklin's insistence in "complimentary" football. I think that ethos hurt us this year, I think it was built into the offensive identity. "Look, we have a great defense, so let's just protect the football, hang in there, hope to get some short fields." When it "worked" like against Illinois, Franklin is pounding the podium about how "THAT" was a great big ten road win. Offense did just enough, defense was spectacular......see how complimentary football works? Anyone living in the real world knew our offense had systemic problems and would really struggle in big games, but not to the PR Coach....it was a win to be proud of. The goal of an offense should be to score a TD on every single possession. Someone mentioned Andy Reid, that man never considers a punt or a field change to be a "win." Statistically speaking, our offense is going to have to score 28 points to beat the best teams in the country....just is. If we don't have an offense dynamic enough to hang 50 on the Illinois of the world, we don't have a championship offense. Even when we were scoring a lot of points during Moorhead, our defense couldn't stop the pass game....now the defense is fixed and we can't score points. It's not complimentary, its having one unit that simply does not perform at a championship level every year. To get to the playoffs, our offense needs to be 10-14 points better and our defense needs to be as good.

Reactions: 91Joe95

When your receivers can't create separation, can't run routes and drop the ball it makes it tough on a QB

Reactions: blair10

You raise some excellent points with your observations.

Maybe Franklin was thinking the same thing (the abundance of offense talent excluding WRs) prior to the dismissal of Yurcich.

Reactions: Jerry
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT