ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State - Okla. State National Duals Title Event Match Thread

No surprises, other than Suriano getting hurt-hope he is OK. Got a few odd looks asking people in PSU gear in the hallways if they were spyker, but no one volunteered that they were. So guess it is proven-all talk and no reality. Think the fans that came had a good time though!
Word has it he was held up at the Blue Oyster. And when he did finally make it, he was walking kinda funny....

Reactions: hlstone
No surprises, other than Suriano getting hurt-hope he is OK. Got a few odd looks asking people in PSU gear in the hallways if they were spyker, but no one volunteered that they were. So guess it is proven-all talk and no reality. Think the fans that came had a good time though!
Dress in all White Cowboy....14 rows from the mat....

I think that it will take a lot to hold Suriano out. If he has a fracture, then it's probably over for the year. But anything less than that and he'll do everything possible to get back on the mat as quickly as he can.
Just cut his foot off. Less pain and it will be easier to make weight.

You should've googled Dr McGriddleshanks from Stillwater. That should've led you right to him.

I had a bunch of my club athletes come over to watch, today. We set up a projector and everything. While the feed was wack, it gave us a chance to bond and BS while we fished for periscope and facebook live feeds. While following along, they gave me crap about being a PSU fan and such (especially on those three early losses). Towards the end, they all just watched. One just says, "Wow, that's scoring points." Which is the slogan on the back of our shirts every year. Score Points.
It's a simple sport, man.

And now I gotta talk arrogantly... I thought about this while watching: You know why PSU is so damn good? They score and put themselves in a position to score. When one guy goes down (Suriano), takes an unexpected/close loss (Gulibon), or graduates (Taylor/Ruth era), they go out and freaking pick up the slack by scoring. And it's the epitome of entertaining wrestling. To have my guys see that and talk about that, the week before individual sections in MN... That was one heck of a Sunday.

People give me ###& about being a "bandwagon fan", and to be fair, I kind of am. What I really am a fan of, is top-quality wrestling. I watch wrestling of some sort every day from October to July. If I hadn't had some contrarian jerk for a training partner in high school, I might not be a PSU fan. It all started with wanting to be right, but I darn sure enjoy watching these guys scrap in blue and white.

I had a bunch of my club athletes come over to watch, today. We set up a projector and everything. While the feed was wack, it gave us a chance to bond and BS while we fished for periscope and facebook live feeds. While following along, they gave me crap about being a PSU fan and such (especially on those three early losses). Towards the end, they all just watched. One just says, "Wow, that's scoring points." Which is the slogan on the back of our shirts every year. Score Points.
It's a simple sport, man.

And now I gotta talk arrogantly... I thought about this while watching: You know why PSU is so damn good? They score and put themselves in a position to score. When one guy goes down (Suriano), takes an unexpected/close loss (Gulibon), or graduates (Taylor/Ruth era), they go out and freaking pick up the slack by scoring. And it's the epitome of entertaining wrestling. To have my guys see that and talk about that, the week before individual sections in MN... That was one heck of a Sunday.

People give me ###& about being a "bandwagon fan", and to be fair, I kind of am. What I really am a fan of, is top-quality wrestling. I watch wrestling of some sort every day from October to July. If I hadn't had some contrarian jerk for a training partner in high school, I might not be a PSU fan. It all started with wanting to be right, but I darn sure enjoy watching these guys scrap in blue and white.

Close down this thread. Crop just said it all.

This match was one injury and a few missed pin calls from a legendary beatdown of monumental proportions against the number #1 team in the country, in their building. Impressive indeed!

One takeaway for me was, without the Suriano injury, not sure there's much drama at Nationals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
This match was one injury and a missed pin call from a legendary beatdown of monumental proportions against the number #1 team in country, in their building. Impressive indeed!

One takeaway for me was, without the Suriano injury, not sure there's much drama at Nationals.

"a missed pin call"? Jimmy gave Haggerty multiple looks at clean pins several times over two different periods......Haggerty missed some great wrestling while he was busy leading cheers for Okie State....

Reactions: Antaeus and Ski
This match was one injury and a few missed pin calls from a legendary beatdown of monumental proportions against the number #1 team in country, in their building. Impressive indeed!

Suriano, according to Cael Sanderson, is fine, and will be ready for Big Ten's.

He WASN'T EVEN ON THE MAT, the first time Jimmy pinned Heil.

No he wasn't.....it was when it happened the first time in the 2nd Period and Haggerty was standing there acting like nothing was going on when PSU's staff was going nuts -- it was kind of surreal because Haggerty was standing there and standing there holding the whistle to his mouth like he was about to call a stalemate or something!!!

greatly appreciate all that posted during the dual. It's very enjoyable to read the entire thread hours after the dual.

I did take multiple peaks at my phone for this thread during dinner. I think I even punched the air when I read that Nickal got the quick pin.

good stuff, everyone.

Reactions: diggerpup
Is there a reason we have 2 officials?

the second official serves multiple purposes. however, the second official can not call a pin. In a pinning situation, the second official isn't even supposed to be checking whether or not its a pin. Because the lead ref is focused on whether or not its a pin, the second official monitors the clock and gives a countdown (if it's near the end of the period), checks for illegal activity by either wrestler, and if they are at the edge of the mat the second official is also responsible to monitor and advise if the wrestlers are out of bounds.

Technique question:

Can someone breakdown the Mark Hall takedown? I've watched it a half dozen times and I'm still not sure what happened.

Hall shoots, with his unique "shoot onto your own side stomach / oblique" shot for an ankle that he does in freestyle often ..... And Crutchmer immediately counters and goes for Hall's ankle ...

.... Then Hall pops up, appears poised, and it's just a blur for me there....

What did Hall do from there to score the takedown?

To me, it seems like Hall was stuck on the side of Crutchmer, but he gained control somehow and was rewarded with two.

A "Houdini Act" for sure - I think I'm going to watch that exact exchange another dozen times until I figure it out. Lol

I felt like Maxwell smart today. I came closer to seeing those guys live than I probably ever will. Oh well, such is life. If the same 1-2 scenario happens next year State will host, right?

I forget if I saw it on the HR or 34 board, but poster said, "Looked like Heil was pinned but Gulibon didn't derserve it." Maybe that's why Hagerty didn't slap the mat. Didn't deserve it?! Good grief!

Reactions: Grass
I guess my generation was raised different....But using your descriptive colorful metaphor makes us look like trailer trash.
What do you mean by colorful? Are you a racist? (Just kidding!) ;)

People try to put us d-down.
Talkin' 'bout my generation.
Jus' because we get around. ...
Things they do look awful c-cold. ...
I hope I die before I get old. ... :)

I forget if I saw it on the HR or 34 board, but poster said, "Looked like Heil was pinned but Gulibon didn't derserve it." Maybe that's why Hagerty didn't slap the mat. Didn't deserve it?! Good grief!
Makes you wonder who they think Heil was pinned by.

I saw that also, on 34 board.

Technique question:

Can someone breakdown the Mark Hall takedown? I've watched it a half dozen times and I'm still not sure what happened.

Hall shoots, with his unique "shoot onto your own side stomach / oblique" shot for an ankle that he does in freestyle often ..... And Crutchmer immediately counters and goes for Hall's ankle ...

To me, it seems like Hall was stuck on the side of Crutchmer, but he gained control somehow and was rewarded with two.

A "Houdini Act" for sure - I think I'm going to watch that exact exchange another dozen times until I figure it out. Lol

He worked his hips up and got into a merkle for the TD

Someone on 34 board was also was asking why OSU was ranked ahead of us since most of our guys were ranked higher. That's the same question many of us had.

Even Willie and Pyles went out of there way last week looking for reasons to pick OSU. Talk about off the mark!!

Technique question:

I'll try, though the angle I have is to Hall's back, so some of this is interpretation ...

First: Hall established control when he had the near leg hooked, put his hips over Crutchmer's, and had control over Crutchmer's torso by driving down/forward with the shallow far half (though wrist control would've worked too). How he got there is the question.

Hall took a terrible shot. Crutchmer easily re-shot and got Hall's right leg on a low head inside single. As Crutchmer went to lift Hall, he got his head under Hall's leg.

SImultaneously Hall stepped in with his left leg and (as best as I can tell) put his left foot between Crutchmer's legs -- this is probably not recommended technique because he then had no leverage points, and he risked giving Crutchmer the 2nd leg. Saving grace was: Hall also reached down, grabbed Crutchmer's right ankle, and pulled it outside -- took away Crutchmer's ability to lift. I suspect Hall also used his right leg to force Crutchmer's head down, hard.

This forced Crutchmer off his knees and onto all fours (kinda), with his head planted on the mat under Hall's right leg, his right hand trapped under Hall's hip, and his left hand way outside on Hall's ankle (trying to lift Hall's leg to free his head). Hall was seated, left leg between Crutchmer's legs, right hand free to the outside, can't see his left hand but it's draped across Crutchmer's back, underhooking the left arm or maybe a very shallow far half.

Here Crutchmer makes a mistake: if he drops his right hip onto Hall's left leg, he at worst gets a stalemate, and maybe even gets the takedown if he can free his right hand. Instead he keeps his hips off the mat and slips his head out from under Hall's leg -- great, except he kept his head on the mat and lost his grip on the ankle. Hall swung his right leg around while driving Crutchmer down and forward with his left arm.

As soon as Hall got his right foot to the outside and pushed off with it, that drove his hips up and over Crutchmer's -- that's the classic "wrong leg in" takedown position.

All of that happened in about 5 sec.

What do you mean by colorful? Are you a racist? (Just kidding!) ;)

People try to put us d-down.
Talkin' 'bout my generation.
Jus' because we get around. ...
Things they do look awful c-cold. ...
I hope I die before I get old. ... :)

The only one who actually succeeded with that was Keith Moon, ironically.

He worked his hips up and got into a merkle for the TD

Came up into the reverse leg-lace and had control behind wrestler
I'll try, though the angle I have is to Hall's back, so some of this is interpretation ...

First: Hall established control when he had the near leg hooked, put his hips over Crutchmer's, and had control over Crutchmer's torso by driving down/forward with the shallow far half (though wrist control would've worked too). How he got there is the question.

Hall took a terrible shot. Crutchmer easily re-shot and got Hall's right leg on a low head inside single. As Crutchmer went to lift Hall, he got his head under Hall's leg.

SImultaneously Hall stepped in with his left leg and (as best as I can tell) put his left foot between Crutchmer's legs -- this is probably not recommended technique because he then had no leverage points, and he risked giving Crutchmer the 2nd leg. Saving grace was: Hall also reached down, grabbed Crutchmer's right ankle, and pulled it outside -- took away Crutchmer's ability to lift. I suspect Hall also used his right leg to force Crutchmer's head down, hard.

This forced Crutchmer off his knees and onto all fours (kinda), with his head planted on the mat under Hall's right leg, his right hand trapped under Hall's hip, and his left hand way outside on Hall's ankle (trying to lift Hall's leg to free his head). Hall was seated, left leg between Crutchmer's legs, right hand free to the outside, can't see his left hand but it's draped across Crutchmer's back, underhooking the left arm or maybe a very shallow far half.

Here Crutchmer makes a mistake: if he drops his right hip onto Hall, he at worst gets a stalemate, and maybe even gets the takedown if he can free his right hand. Instead he keeps his hips off the mat and slips his head out from under Hall's leg -- great, except he kept his head on the mat and lost his grip on the ankle. Hall swung his right leg around while driving Crutchmer down and forward with his left arm.

As soon as Hall got his right foot to the outside and pushed off with it, that drove his hips up and over Crutchmer's -- that's the classic "wrong leg in" takedown position.

All of that happened in about 5 sec.

Yea, the key was when Hall basicallycame out the side-door and "reverse leg-laced" Crutchmer - given Crutchmer's size and ability to "horse" people, that looked dangerous indeed. But essentially it put Hall into a Merkle position with full control as his hips were back and he was completely over top Crutchmer, although Hall never attempted the roll. Hall is smooth - he looked like he was in trouble, but as soon as he came out the side and got the reverse leg-lace in, he just started riding Crutchmer (a freaking bull) like it was a walk in the park.

Hall almost spladled Crutchmer when he first got the lower leg on the counter re-shoot.....Hall started going and Crutchmer sensed it and backed off from moving up on the leg leading to the series you described

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT